Options

Is guardian worth ranking up.

MasterAMasterA Posts: 490 ★★★
edited May 2023 in General Discussion

Pulled a 6 star through 8.1 completion and I’ve seen some promising things. Is he worth it though.?

Other 6 star r1 tech contenders are guilly 2099, cap falcon, htd, sentinel, imif and stark spidey

Comments

• Options
    if you can awaken him, he is worth it!
  • Options
    AnlyAnly Posts: 615 ★★
    edited May 2023
    MasterA said:

Pulled a 6 star through 8.1 completion and I’ve seen some promising things. Is he worth it though.?

Other 6 star r1 tech contenders are guilly 2099, cap falcon, htd, sentinel, imif and stark spidey

He's alright but i think he needs dupe, out of all of those options id probably go howard if you dont have any other good techs already ranked otherwise id save for someone else
  • Options
    I already got nimrod
  • Options
    R3 aeakened
  • Options
    MasterA said:

I already got nimrod

Yeah id hold out for someone better
  • Options
    MasterA said:

I already got nimrod

Unless you need more techs for battlegrounds then maybe consider howard
  • Options
    BeastDadBeastDad Posts: 1,432 ★★★★★
    He's aged a little the past year with the emergence of other tech's, but he is still viable.
  • Options
    SidDDragonSidDDragon Posts: 1,183 ★★★
    edited May 2023

He is awesome. At r4 he can take off 200k+ hp in a single sp1-sp2 rotation. He needs super high sig to unlock his utility though but at that point his energy resistance and block proficiency are insane.To give some perspective, 7* bishop has 4800 energy resistance,6* r3 havoc has 2100 energy resistance,while my sig 200 guardian has 8800 energy resistance.
    He can block unblockable specials from mutants,doesn’t crit and has taunt on his sp1 all which gives him even more utility.
    And his sp2 is one of the most satisfying specials to fire off. And u can improve on his already devastating sp2 by pairing him with the hulk buster relic.
    And since he is so reliant on his sig ability, he would be a long term investment cuz even if he is added to the 7* pool soon,it would be a long time before u could get his sig up to replace the 6* version
  • Options
    edited May 2023

He is awesome. At r4 he can take off 200k+ hp in a single sp1-sp2 rotation. He needs super high sig to unlock his utility though but at that point his energy resistance and block proficiency are insane.To give some perspective, 7* bishop has 4800 energy resistance,6* r3 havoc has 2100 energy resistance,while my sig 200 guardian has 8800 energy resistance.
    He can block unblockable specials from mutants,doesn’t crit and has taunt on his sp1 all which gives him even more utility.
    And his sp2 is one of the most satisfying specials to fire off. And u can improve on his already devastating sp2 by pairing him with the hulk buster relic.
    And since he is so reliant on his sig ability, he would be a long term investment cuz even if he is added to the 7* pool soon,it would be a long time before u could get his sig up to replace the 6* version

I don’t have him awakened but is he still viable
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,294 ★★★★
    He is slept on, but at the same time, it does make sense that other Tech champions have the spotlight. He is viable everywhere, but is never the first choice in any category.

For smaller rosters, he is definitely worth ranking up and using sig stones. For medium to large size rosters, it is debatable if you have other Tech (and other non-tech champions).

EQ and Act 8+ Design: Generally other champions do it better (Eg. Those nodes where you want to heal block or keep in shock to prevent something, Warlock, Nimrod, even Shuri, do it better). Guardian can do it, because he is so versatile, but he wouldn't be the first choice for players with options.

As a Defender: Again, other Tech champions are tougher defenders even though Guardian can trip people up with his auto block.

My Guardian has sat unused for over a year now, as so many champions (Tech and Non Tech) have replaced him. His block proficiency synergy is less important, because of all the abilities that make blocking and parries a disadvantage (Pierce, Cleanse/Purify, evade on stun, etc). Shock immunity has become more and more common. Other Tech champions can gain armor buffs and not lose it as easily. 'Parry non-contact attacks' is still rare, but more common than when Guardian was first released. The list goes on.

• Options
    IamnikeIamnike Posts: 232 ★★
    Yeah but you gotta commit to sig 200
  • Options

Anly said:

MasterA said:

I already got nimrod

Yeah id hold out for someone better
    disagree. I have r4 Guardian and he is one of the most versatile champs out there.
    You disagree that he's alright or you disagree that there are better champs?

In all seriousness though i didnt say he wasnt versatile or bad or anything of the sort he's far from bad, however he's alot worse by comparison.
  • Options
    Asim38Asim38 Posts: 136
    MasterA said:

Absolutely. Okay so we all have our memorable moments in this game right? One of mine is an Act 6 Korg that regens all his health after some time. So my solution was Guardian. Guardian is a tank with all his resistances and armour who also hits like a tank when built up. So I played a very normal fight. Lots of parrying, lots of baiting. Many SP3s. Then finally hit him with an SP2 and got him down to zero health in one shot. He had over 300k health. And Korg has a lot of resistance. So IMO, Guardian is great if you know how to play him.
  • Options
    Loki_Poki1280Loki_Poki1280 Posts: 472 ★★★
    I'm pretty sure he is a reliable and pretty good battlegrounds attacker. And sp1 and Sp2 should nearly end the fight.
  • Options
    BigBusterBigBuster Posts: 290 ★★★
    Iamnike said:

Yeah but you gotta commit to sig 200

This is a myth. His energy resistance scales like that b/c it is affected by diminishing returns. if you actually look at the PERCENTAGE value of the energy resistance, it scales linearly like the rest of his sig.

so he just gets better with every sig
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 664 ★★★★
    People need to understand that his damage is insane and it's not affected by his dup at all, he's a r4 worthy champion even unduped
    Things like ''oh he's good but you need to awaken him and put sig 200 to be worth it'' it's just false
    His dup is 100% defensive, as an attacker you can play him unduped
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 892 ★★★

People need to understand that his damage is insane and it's not affected by his dup at all, he's a r4 worthy champion even unduped
    Things like ''oh he's good but you need to awaken him and put sig 200 to be worth it'' it's just false

He needs sig 200 to be worth r4, but once he is sig 200 he's more than worth r5 as well. His dupe provides a massive amount of utility, without it he has plenty of damage but isn't great for that many fights/nodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
    He actually helped me a lot back when I was just starting to build my 5* roster, but ever since then he's felt very underwhelming. He was my main mutant counter for a while, as he's very good against Mr. Sinister and Domino. I pulled him as a 6* pretty early in my 6* journey, but I've never felt inclined to rank him up even though he is duped. I've even left my 5* at rank 4 sig 200.

I think he has a lot of fairly decent uses, but I have Warlock, Nimrod, and Guilly 2099 as 6*s, so I've just never needed Guardian for anything. He's slower than Nimrod and Guilly, has less utility than Warlock and Nimrod, and he requires more dedication than any of them just to get close to their level. He can definitely put in some work, and he can be fun at times, but if you're just looking for a good champion, he's mediocre.
  • Options

You are right you can play him unduped, although his dupe isnt 100% defensive it gives him some much needed utility as an attacker in the form of resistances, most notable one being bleed.
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,645 ★★★★
    General consensus: Guardian is a great and versatile attacker at high sig, a decent defender, and is still pretty great even without sig. Sig just ramps his utility up to insane levels.
  • Options
    Caleb1705Caleb1705 Posts: 244 ★★
    edited May 2023
    Playing Guardian is like running through the battleground with a ray gun. No immunities but great resistances that only go up with sig, he has some awesome synergies (shock on parry with sassy, faster charges with white mags, always have at least 1 charge with mole man), autoblock, non-contact hits to counter champs like korg. His damage rampup is pretty straightforward, very simple, instead of crits he deals additional energy damage instead of crits which is great for nodes like crit me if you dare or champs like Mr Sinister.

Nimrod/Omega Sent/Warlock/Ultron, but even unduped he's a fantastic addition to any roster.
  • Options
    ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,090 ★★★★★
    Anly said:

MasterA said:

He's alright but i think he needs dupe, out of all of those options id probably go howard if you dont have any other good techs already ranked otherwise id save for someone else
    You definitely need the dupe in order to tank some heavy hits but once you have a high enough sig, he becomes a perfectly balanced champion.