6* shard BG store costs remains stubbornly high - why?

SkunkcabbageSkunkcabbage Member Posts: 211 ★★
Dear all,
We were recently told how worthless 6* shards are given that they have flooded into the game and are borderline insignificant.

We were told that the +50% cost of a 7* crystal was the result of 6* shards being so common. If 6* shards are so common, then why is their price unchanged in all this time for Paragon players? We have moved to 7* champs now and view 6* as far less valuable overall.

We had the usual people furiously arguing that the 15k 7* crystal cost was a non-issue and that we will get easier access to them over time. This was a great opportunity to back up that argument and really add weight to your argument about charging us so much for a 7* crystal, but you've fallen very short of the mark.

Acting in a way that has continuity with the words you say to us means a lot, and we do carefully watch your actions to make sure that you're being straight with us.

Comments

• ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,628 ★★★★★
    This is only the 2nd month EVER with 7* shards. Are you already expecting a 7* per month?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,628 ★★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

Buttehrs said:

This is only the 2nd month EVER with 7* shards. Are you already expecting a 7* per month?

No he's saying that kabam should have reduced the price of 6* shards in the BG store to make 7* shards easier to obtain via dupes
    Which still equals out to the same thing.
  • Wozzle007Wozzle007 Member Posts: 1,005 ★★★★★
    As much as it would have been nice to have seen 6* shards drop in price I never thought we’d see that in this update. If anything Kabam probably regrets making 6* shards so readily available from BG in the first place. I’m not sure we’ve had a memo from Kabam saying 6* are insignificant, just that they are readily available.

The wins are the fairly massive drop in T6b and T3A as well as T6CC selectors. I’ll certainly be shifting my focus to these as my BG purchases for the foreseeable future. Now we just need the Loyalty store updating next month, the Glory store the month after then Incursion store the month after. They are seriously out of date now.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

Kabam Jax said:

"We were recently told how worthless 6* shards"
    Who said that?

"If 6* shards are so common, then why is their price unchanged in all this time for Paragon players?"
    Because they are already common, and we don't want to make them more common in every way.

"This was a great opportunity to back up that argument and really add weight to your argument about charging us so much for a 7* crystal"
    This was an opportunity, but was not one we ever intended to use. The point we made is: there are already a lot of 6-star crystals in the game and there will be more over time, not "we will use every opportunity to make 6-star shards more available."

"Acting in a way that has continuity with the words you say to us means a lot"
    I agree; I think integrity and accountability are important. But please don't try to hold us accountable for things we didn't actually say.

Kabam Jax said:

Who said that?

"If 6* shards are so common, then why is their price unchanged in all this time for Paragon players?"
    Because they are already common, and we don't want to make them more common in every way.

"This was a great opportunity to back up that argument and really add weight to your argument about charging us so much for a 7* crystal"
    This was an opportunity, but was not one we ever intended to use. The point we made is: there are already a lot of 6-star crystals in the game and there will be more over time, not "we will use every opportunity to make 6-star shards more available."

I agree; I think integrity and accountability are important. But please don't try to hold us accountable for things we didn't actually say.

Okay you're right I should hold you accountable to what you say, so here's a transcript which I've divided into 3 sections, underneath my observations.

My observations:

- Point 1: You mentioned that 7* shards would scale by a factor of 1.5x, so if you would've given us 1k 7* shards at the rate of 10k per crystal, you would instead give us 15k shards.
    Can you explain why we are earning 500 X 7* shards in content? Would you have given out 333.33 7* shards for 8.2 completion, for example? (Ref: exhibit A)

- Point 2: You said you know that we would want a 7* crystal to cost 4 shards. That's not kind to paint us out to be ridiculous customers like that and borders on gaslighting IMO. (Ref: exhibit B

- Point 3: In my opinion you inferred on the stream that 6* shards are in abundance. Here are some of the phrases you used:

> "Six star Shard availability is so plentiful"
    > "Sheer quantity of six star shards"
    > "It's just a ton of six star shards"
    > "You have so many six star shards"

As you can see you really emphasised this point a lot. Now in basic microeconomics if there is an abundant supply of something, market forces compensate via a reduction in price to reach a new equilibrium. The fact that you aren't following this process, even though you've inferred that we are swimming in 6* shards lacks sound logic to me. (Ref: exhibit C)

Transcript of 7* info launch stream:

59:24 (exhibit A)

so let's just pull the Band-Aid off this real quick the cost of your shiny new Seven Stars will be 15K shards yes all right we understand that that's an increase but pause take a second and listen what we have to say to you okay the only place that that's going to affect the acquisition differently than six stars is duping your six stars yes everywhere else is scaling percentage based yes so say there was a reward that gave you five thousand six star shards it would now if it was Seven Stars give you seventy five hundred. the rewards that are giving you these shards are scaling to match the rewards that are giving you these shards are scaling to match that it's not a drastic difference

1:00:19 (exhibit B

yes um and yeah the availability is going to be there um you know increase over time and all those types of things so I know that the number uh is higher than some people want most people want I think everyone just like if we were like oh it's cost four shards I'd be like great so in that sense it's higher than what everybody wants but at the same time we saw some some people predicting a lot higher than that as well so bear with us because it's not going to be that bad

1:00:44 (exhibit C)

I know the number seems jarring but the acquisition is going to be there um so it's it's not going to be as bad as you think all right there's an additional uh amount on ton of that that in important. um yeah so basically the one note that I had written uh is that six star Shard availability is so plentiful that we don't want to reduce the Seven Star Shard availability so you're still getting your dupes which are fairly easy because of the sheer quantity of six star shards in our gaming it's just a ton of six star shards out so every
    Seven Stars yeah yeah so you just think that like that seems intimidating because it's an increase but at the same time you have we have you have so many six star shards that you're going to be getting Seven Star shards quickly

I mean for paragon if you want there is over 30k 6* shards in the spidey store honestly the bg store cost isn't that bad the big win here is the reduced prices for the rank up material was I hoping for a reduction yes but it's not that big of a deal the prices weren't bad to begin with
    The problem is, the BG Store is only one outlet, among a number.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,408 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

We were told that the +50% cost of a 7* crystal was the result of 6* shards being so common. If 6* shards are so common, then why is their price unchanged in all this time for Paragon players? We have moved to 7* champs now and view 6* as far less valuable overall.

Are you seriously asking why, if the game is being flooded with 6* shards, the BG store didn't try to flood even more 6* shards into the game?

The cost of 7* crystals is intended at least in part to dilute the impact of 6* duplication. So it would be silly to radically increase the amount of 6* shards flowing into the game, because that would completely undo the very thing they tried to do wtih 7* crystal costs. That would be nonsensical.

Kabam Jax said:

Who said that?

Kabam Jax said:

Who said that?

Okay you're right I should hold you accountable to what you say, so here's a transcript which I've divided into 3 sections, underneath my observations.

My observations:

- Point 1: You mentioned that 7* shards would scale by a factor of 1.5x, so if you would've given us 1k 7* shards at the rate of 10k per crystal, you would instead give us 15k shards.
    Can you explain why we are earning 500 X 7* shards in content? Would you have given out 333.33 7* shards for 8.2 completion, for example? (Ref: exhibit A)

- Point 2: You said you know that we would want a 7* crystal to cost 4 shards. That's not kind to paint us out to be ridiculous customers like that and borders on gaslighting IMO. (Ref: exhibit B

- Point 3: In my opinion you inferred on the stream that 6* shards are in abundance. Here are some of the phrases you used:

> "Six star Shard availability is so plentiful"
    > "Sheer quantity of six star shards"
    > "It's just a ton of six star shards"
    > "You have so many six star shards"

As you can see you really emphasised this point a lot. Now in basic microeconomics if there is an abundant supply of something, market forces compensate via a reduction in price to reach a new equilibrium. The fact that you aren't following this process, even though you've inferred that we are swimming in 6* shards lacks sound logic to me. (Ref: exhibit C)

Transcript of 7* info launch stream:

59:24 (exhibit A)

so let's just pull the Band-Aid off this real quick the cost of your shiny new Seven Stars will be 15K shards yes all right we understand that that's an increase but pause take a second and listen what we have to say to you okay the only place that that's going to affect the acquisition differently than six stars is duping your six stars yes everywhere else is scaling percentage based yes so say there was a reward that gave you five thousand six star shards it would now if it was Seven Stars give you seventy five hundred. the rewards that are giving you these shards are scaling to match the rewards that are giving you these shards are scaling to match that it's not a drastic difference

1:00:19 (exhibit B

yes um and yeah the availability is going to be there um you know increase over time and all those types of things so I know that the number uh is higher than some people want most people want I think everyone just like if we were like oh it's cost four shards I'd be like great so in that sense it's higher than what everybody wants but at the same time we saw some some people predicting a lot higher than that as well so bear with us because it's not going to be that bad

1:00:44 (exhibit C)

I know the number seems jarring but the acquisition is going to be there um so it's it's not going to be as bad as you think all right there's an additional uh amount on ton of that that in important. um yeah so basically the one note that I had written uh is that six star Shard availability is so plentiful that we don't want to reduce the Seven Star Shard availability so you're still getting your dupes which are fairly easy because of the sheer quantity of six star shards in our gaming it's just a ton of six star shards out so every
    Seven Stars yeah yeah so you just think that like that seems intimidating because it's an increase but at the same time you have we have you have so many six star shards that you're going to be getting Seven Star shards quickly

I mean for paragon if you want there is over 30k 6* shards in the spidey store honestly the bg store cost isn't that bad the big win here is the reduced prices for the rank up material was I hoping for a reduction yes but it's not that big of a deal the prices weren't bad to begin with
    7* champs are way better and should be the chase item ATM IMO:
    You get about 6 t6b and t3a every month from the BG store and t6cc is very accessible in selectors. It doesn't take long to r2 a 7* from BGs alone if you play it enough.

The 6* shards cost is perfectly fine as is, and the BG store will be in the best shape it will have ever been since there are many good options to choose from instead of just having sigs and 6* shards.

• AustinU823AustinU823 Member Posts: 84 ★★
    I think the 6* shard cost is just fine. Pretty good, even.

However, I don’t think the 7* quantity is good enough for the cost. If I’m late game and most of my 6*s are max sig and I want to maximize my 7* shards but I only have 18K tokens to spend per week, I’d want to buy the 6* shards because I’ll most likely get more than 1500 shards with the dupes and max sig crystals
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

I'd like to know how an R4 "sucks" compared to a 7*.

I wrote 4 points underneath if you had bothered to actually read it.
    That's because you omitted facts. Availability, Sig, Selection......
  • BlackOracleBlackOracle Member Posts: 256 ★★★

I think the 6* shard cost is just fine. Pretty good, even.

However, I don’t think the 7* quantity is good enough for the cost. If I’m late game and most of my 6*s are max sig and I want to maximize my 7* shards but I only have 18K tokens to spend per week, I’d want to buy the 6* shards because I’ll most likely get more than 1500 shards with the dupes and max sig crystals

The 7* shard amount will come up in due time, but for a resource that hasn’t been in the game for 2 months, the reality is that they are going to keep them rare. So, unless you are going to rank high in GC, AW, or buy ever offer they put out, it’s going to be a while to form a 7* crystal.
  • BluestoneBluestone Member Posts: 33
    The post i was hoping for, 6* shards are the only hope for many players to progress and accumulate 7* over time. 4500 tokens for 6* crystal for PGs was great before,but not now .
    Its even worse for TB and cav players .
    The increase of r4 materials was nice ,but we need shards and champions to use those materials on .

• crogscrogs Member Posts: 769 ★★★
    I just don't get how people equate "more available" to cheaper to purchase". Just sounds like a selfish connection because you want more to get 7's quicker. Just a case of iwantitis. A disease quite common in the younger generations.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,421 ★★★★★

Dear all,
    We were recently told how worthless 6* shards are given that they have flooded into the game and are borderline insignificant.

We had the usual people furiously arguing that the 15k 7* crystal cost was a non-issue and that we will get easier access to them over time. This was a great opportunity to back up that argument and really add weight to your argument about charging us so much for a 7* crystal, but you've fallen very short of the mark.

Acting in a way that has continuity with the words you say to us means a lot, and we do carefully watch your actions to make sure that you're being straight with us.

Someone get this dude a Snickers.

Preferably a 6s Snickers, if possible.
  • ErcarretErcarret Member Posts: 2,896 ★★★★★
    The amount of 6* shards available in BG is insane. Those and the 6* sig stones are the two things that I don't think has gone down in value since they were first introduced. I still pour all of my tokens into those two resources unless I specifically need something else.

What needed updating was the rank-up resources. That's what we got. I'm happy with that. I'll continue getting the 6* shards when I need them, but now I have more stuff to buy in the store. That's great. No, actually legitimately awesome.
  • pseudosanepseudosane Member, Guardian Posts: 3,949 Guardian
    @Skunkcabbage I think you are wrong. 6* shards ARE more plentiful now. SQ and EQ gets you approx 50k 6* shards already. Now we have the bump up in arena too. We dont need 6* to be popped like candy, that will devalue 6* so quickly.