Options

Shut it down

Can you guys just shut the game down for a week or so and fix the major issues, would be a better solution than whatever this is in the long term.

Comments

• Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,072 ★★★★★

Shutting down the game it not good for both parties, to us and also kabam. Whoever thought like this must not have an idea on how to develop apps and programming.

It's not even that. Kabam doesn't perform bug fixes on the live version of the game. That's why updates are something like v40.0.1. They make changes in the dev environment and then send the updates for us to download to the live server. The live client comes down for things related to the server the game is played on.
  • Options
    CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Posts: 802 ★★★
    edited July 2023

Shutting down the game it not good for both parties, to us and also kabam. Whoever thought like this must not have an idea on how to develop apps and programming.

It's not even that. Kabam doesn't perform bug fixes on the live version of the game. That's why updates are something like v40.0.1. They make changes in the dev environment and then send the updates for us to download to the live server. The live client comes down for things related to the server the game is played on.
    Yes that what i'm talk about. I never mention that kabam do a live update. Also i'm not a native english speaking here so it hard to explain it
  • Options

Yes that what i'm talk about. I never mention that kabam do a live update. Also i'm not a native english speaking here so it hard to explain it
    You're fine. Most of it is directed at OP.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,071 ★★★★★
    Why do people seem to think that shutting down the live version of the game would fix anything?
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,266 ★★★★★
    If you want to kill the game, maybe.
  • Options
    MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 4,062 ★★★★★

Then why did they periodically shut things down for maintenance? I admit I do not know anything about programming, but it seems we had far fewer issues or bugs when they would completely shut everyone out for routine maintenance.

It was odd that they had to do that at all, and couldn’t update the servers otherwise. The fact that they don’t have scheduled maintenance now does not mean the infrastructure is not being maintained.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,699 Guardian

Then why did they periodically shut things down for maintenance? I admit I do not know anything about programming, but it seems we had far fewer issues or bugs when they would completely shut everyone out for routine maintenance.

That was a long time ago when the servers needed regular downtime for maintenance. The servers don't need downtime anymore.

Also for those not aware, bugs that affect the server-side of the game can be fixed very easily and just thrown into the game without an update, this is evidenced by kabam just being straight able to turn off mythic crystals so we can't open any. However, a bug that affects the client of the game--like express mode in arena--requires a hotfix update to the game. So once they have the fix, they send it to Apple and Google play, and then it is up to Apple and Google to then send out the new version of the app.

In short, the game doesn't need to be shut down to fix the bugs and shutting it down won't fix them any faster
  • Options
    TikkaMasalaTikkaMasala Posts: 107
    Pikolu said:

That was a long time ago when the servers needed regular downtime for maintenance. The servers don't need downtime anymore.

Also for those not aware, bugs that affect the server-side of the game can be fixed very easily and just thrown into the game without an update, this is evidenced by kabam just being straight able to turn off mythic crystals so we can't open any. However, a bug that affects the client of the game--like express mode in arena--requires a hotfix update to the game. So once they have the fix, they send it to Apple and Google play, and then it is up to Apple and Google to then send out the new version of the app.

In short, the game doesn't need to be shut down to fix the bugs and shutting it down won't fix them any faster
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★

Can you guys just shut the game down for a week or so and fix the major issues, would be a better solution than whatever this is in the long term.

People continue to spend even with constant bugs, shutting down the game would cause no spending. Additionally, Kabam would risk losing customers to other games during shutdown.
  • Options
    DL864DL864 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    Shut this thread down its hurting my head reading this stupidity.
  • Options
    I_tell_no_tales_1I_tell_no_tales_1 Posts: 1,193 ★★★★
    Pikolu said:

The server don't need the downtime anymore cause the bugs nowadays can't be fixed in the small maintenance time period
    Also, with each update new bugs come in like the responsibilities in life, both of which were never asked for...
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,699 Guardian

Pikolu said:

The server don't need the downtime anymore cause the bugs nowadays can't be fixed in the small maintenance time period
    Also, with each update new bugs come in like the responsibilities in life, both of which were never asked for...
    Server maintenance was never used to fix bugs as confirmed by Kabam Miike.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/2254001#Comment_2254001
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 892 ★★★

It's amazing how many people don't understand that this wouldn't solve a single thing.
    So how does it make sense that shutting the game down wouldn’t help the devs fix bugs? Giving them some time where nobody is complaining or overloading servers with crystal openings or weighing the servers down with BG matches… wouldn’t be helpful?? Take another swing and maybe don’t get everything completely wrong this time.
  • Options
    Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,735 ★★★★
    Bug fixes and development work happens in a different environment before releasing to production. Leaving production environments running don't impact continuous development work.
  • Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 892 ★★★
    Seems pretty obvious what the main bugs are
  • Options

Seems pretty obvious what the main bugs are

The knowledge of how real world applications work from the player base?