Options

Battlegrounds matchmaking

Hey guys!
What do you think about facing Paragon and player with alot of 7* champs in their decks. I recently become thronebreaker it doesn't seem fair to me

Comments

• Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,373 ★★★★★
    Up to you. I'm still finding Cav accounts in the Diamonds however its just pot luck on what you get so can understand if its no longer worth it.

• Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,168 ★★★★★

Its not fair you got all the way to Diamond I while avoiding players you couldn't beat.

Fr. OP got insanely lucky to make it that far
  • Options
    A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 993 ★★★★
    Another one of these...

I will say what I normally do... be happy you got as far as you did without facing those accounts

You were able to progress through the ranks, get all the same rewards for it as those paragon accounts who are there

If you want to get the same rewards as paragon players, you should have to beat those very same paragon players. Otherwise, you should expect rewards to be scaled back

But yes, I would stop using elder marks if I were you, too much of a **** shoot on what kind of account you will face
  • Options
    SudaisSudais Posts: 4
    Ironman3000 they didn't gift me sh**, i earned it.
  • Options
    Caleb1705Caleb1705 Posts: 245 ★★
    I don't have the most spectacular paragon account, but I didn't have a single matchup without at least multiple 6r4 and 7* champs from Bronze 3 through Plat 3. Then I breezed through all of plat and diamond against uncollected and cav accounts with 4*s in their battle decks.
    The matchmaking is a joke and beyond broken, but if you haven't progressed to a reasonable level it's probably best to look at the rewards you've gained so far as a means to help you get through the rest of the story content.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 6,168 ★★★★★
    Sudais said:

• Options
    SudaisSudais Posts: 4
    Thanks alot guys
  • Options
    horrendous_toohorrendous_too Posts: 227 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

Sudais said:

However, this advantage disappears when you reach about Platinum 3. At that point you get exposed to the true level of competition for that tier. The average competition there is much higher, so on average you face much higher competition. The matches become much more difficult, but that's the only way to be truly fair: everyone who wants to get to Platinum 2 should have to face the players in P3. Everyone who wants to get to Diamond should have to face whoever is in Platinum. If some players are only facing the weakest players in Platinum and others are only facing the strongest players in Platinum to get to Diamond, that's unfair, and completely against the spirit of an open competition.

Yes, it seems like the fights are unfair. Imagine you spent your life in a tier 12 alliance, and then tomorrow you joined a tier 3 alliance. The fights would get dramatically harder. You might think you earned your spot in that alliance, but that's irrelevant. The fact remains that if you want to be in a tier 3 alliance you have to face tier 3 competition. If you want to be in Platinum 2 or Diamond 3 or for that matter Vibranium/GC, you have to face P2 or D3 or GC levels of competition. If that's much stronger than you, that's just life.
    As I read my 3rd new post of the day about a lower level player getting crushed as they hit plat or diamond and then the same forum accounts jump on them to say they deserve it, I am beginning to think that the issue is less BG matchmaking and more the lack of communication about it in game that gets these people upset.

I mean think about it, you are a new uncollected and log in and there is a whole new area of the game called battlegrounds. You go in and fight someone who looks about the same as you. Maybe you win, maybe you lose but its fun and different. With the new medal collection you can rise up quickly with only a 50% win rate. So you maybe get to gold and hey these matches are a bit harder, maybe you go to a 30% win rate, but getting double medals you can still string together a couple wins to keep advancing.

Then you hit plat.

And run into me, five 7 stars in my deck, 8 R5 6 stars the rest R4s. And I am no where near the biggest account you will run into there.

There's no warning, no announcement, just suddenly you get crushed. Why wouldn't you go to the forums to say "Hey, why am I suddenly getting stomped by people out of my league"?

And then you get yelled at by people who are somewhat rightly annoyed that you are asking this question again. And then @DNA3000 calmly explains why it happened. And then it repeats tomorrow with a new uncollected, or cav.

So it seems like maybe there needs to be something in game to tell people its going to get harder. Maybe Carina pops in when you hit gold and says " Due to your excellent play we are expanding your pool of matches, be prepared for harder matches" and then at plat can do the Thor quote about demonstrating you are ready for a higher form of war. Or something to possibly explain what is coming. At the very least it might save @DNA3000 some repetitive stress injuries for typing out the response.

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,755 Guardian
    One element to this that partially explains why there is no solid structural explanation for what’s happening in BG match making is that this is a dynamic situation. Which is to say, it isn’t a direct product of the way BG match making works, it is a situational side effect of how BG match making works, and the way match making works has been tweaked and evolving over time. It is a moving target, and as it has changed from season to season the details have been changing. It isn’t *exactly* the same this season as it was last season, although it might seem that way from the anecdotes.

And the biggest structural change is soon to come: staggered, or strength based season starts. Right now low progress players in Silver don’t encounter strong Paragons because the match maker isolates them from those strong players. In future seasons those lower progress players won’t match against those strong players because those strong players won’t be in Silver at all. They’ll start much higher, and thus advance faster (or rather with a head start). The thinking is starting players closer to their true competitive strength will reduce the frequency of “outmatched” matches.

How well this will work remains to be seen. For complex mathematical reasons I’m skeptical, but we will have to see it in action to be sure. But that will require a potentially different explanation for what will be happening when it happens.
  • Options
    horrendous_toohorrendous_too Posts: 227 ★★
    It still feels like some sort of warning would have gone over better. You don't have to be told what changes are being made just that changes are happening at certain tiers. But I do recognize that if the system is in flux it would be harder to document. I'd argue that it being in flux makes it more important to document but that's a different argument altogether.

And I have no complex mathematical reasons, but I am also skeptical that the staggered start will make anything better. It just sounds like I will be slogging through whales to get from plat to GC rather than from bronze to plat, but i guess I will have a couple fewer matches to get to GC so there's that.
  • Options
    DUHveedDUHveed Posts: 350 ★★★
    edited July 2023

DNA3000 said:

Sudais said:

So it seems like maybe there needs to be something in game to tell people its going to get harder. Maybe Carina pops in when you hit gold and says " Due to your excellent play we are expanding your pool of matches, be prepared for harder matches" and then at plat can do the Thor quote about demonstrating you are ready for a higher form of war. Or something to possibly explain what is coming. At the very least it might save @DNA3000 some repetitive stress injuries for typing out the response.

I couldn’t agree more with this. Something needs to be said in game as a warning that the training wheels are coming off, you’re getting thrown into the deep end, or whatever other idiomatic phrase you want to throw out there. It shouldn’t take lower players hitting the “Platinum Stonewall,” coming to the forums not realizing said stonewall exists, and being educated (sometimes constructively, more often not) they’ve hit their limit.

EDIT: Adding quoted bit because I’m technologically challenged and don’t understand how HTML works.

“So it seems like maybe there needs to be something in game to tell people its going to get harder. Maybe Carina pops in when you hit gold and says " Due to your excellent play we are expanding your pool of matches, be prepared for harder matches" and then at plat can do the Thor quote about demonstrating you are ready for a higher form of war. Or something to possibly explain what is coming. At the very least it might save @DNA3000 some repetitive stress injuries for typing out the response.”