Which Champion Surprised You The Most?

PantherusNZPantherusNZ Member Posts: 2,026 ★★★★★
We've all seen the tier lists and videos etc etc, but sometimes you just don't GET a champion until you really play them for a while.

Which champion did you finally agree to start using and then they shocked you by how good/great/fun they are?

For me it was Hit Monkey. Reading his kit, watching videos, fighting him, I didn't get the hype. Finally ranked him up and now I use him all the time, he's so much freaking fun! :love:

Comments

• willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Member Posts: 4,132 ★★★★★
    Black cat and hit monkey

I just hate intercept champs so I never used Cat, and I was more of a mlllm kind of person and didn’t realize the damage monkey could do with all crits and that sp2
  • SlayerOfGodsSlayerOfGods Member, Content Creators Posts: 492 Content Creator
    Elsa Bloodstone and Black Widow (Deadly Origin) gained an absolute ton of respect from me after playing them a few times in BGs.

Storm X is another champ I've fallen in love with semi-recently. Absolute banger of a champion.
  • Shake_a_QuakeShake_a_Quake Member Posts: 462 ★★★
    edited July 2023
    Spider ham and Longshot, both awakened. Such nice champs. I wouldn't be mad at using my mystic awakening gem on Longshot, over BWCV, if I ever get him as a 6 star. And then there's ham, such a brilliant champ. And that's coming from the fact that I've pulled every other great champ in the science class except Scorpion and Spot
  • Ansh_AAnsh_A Member Posts: 582 ★★★
    Attack: Wiccan. I always avoided him because of the weak defense but that neutralize and DoT combo is lethal.

Defense: Attuma. Placed him on defense at least 30 times. He won about 28 of those matchups even against paragon and legend players.
  • MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Member Posts: 2,147 ★★★★
    4/55 6* Angela on BG attack; parry projectiles solves some tricky match ups, she hits like a truck and at high sig, there's no dot damage.

7* Gambit again on BG attack, particularly in this meta; laughably fast fight times - thanks for the tip @BitterSteel !!
  • DrauglinDrauglin Member Posts: 191 ★★
    Silver Centurion
  • J4mmy_d0dger123J4mmy_d0dger123 Member Posts: 297 ★★
    Black Panther. If you can nail key intercept behaviour, and get him high enough in rank, he hits like a truck, and buffs are passive, so cannot be punished, I was pleasantly surprised by the rework and took him to R5 as a 5*, I’ll probably take him up now as a 6*
  • BENNYJBENNYJ Member Posts: 111
    Sersi as an attacker - took her to rank 3 and with her furies up, she hits like a beast.
  • KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Member Posts: 947 ★★★
    Mantis, probably the best BG attacker in the 7* pool. I can’t believe everyone was dissing her, she was killing it before buff and is incredible now.
  • Vance2_jrVance2_jr Member Posts: 735 ★★★
    Carnage. I never took the time to play him. Once I figured it out, he went from R1 to R4 in one go. I love that crazy so and so.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,393 Guardian
    Chavez, thought she was a meme tier champion until I used her for a solo EoP run for 2 challenges and really grew fond of her playstyle. Her buff also made her much better against non-buff matchups, I just wish her ceiling would have been increased a little more. She is still one of my favorite champions to play at the moment.
  • WhoDaPooWhoDaPoo Member Posts: 344 ★★★
    I'm surprised how tanky Cassie is
    edited July 2023
    The champ that also surprised me the most, was Mantis, and how annoyingly mid she is. Those heavies are very risky to play for potent furies with the AI we have in the game now. I have gotten hit by really damaging combos trying to pull that off. Much much better champs in the skill class than her. And frankly, can't waste time, when there are easier champs like NF, Moleman, BWDO, Shang-chi, Elsa, Monkey, Gwenpool et al. sitting in the skill class, with not such a problematic kit.

The only time Mantis shined however, was when she was the AI boss in that powerlock, unblockable-unstoppable EQ. She just went berserk, but again only as an AI 🤡
  • Rugbyman371Rugbyman371 Member Posts: 56
    Currently super skrull. With the gamora relic extending his furies and once I figured the sp1-sp2 rotation, he is surprisingly very decent
  • AMS94AMS94 Member Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    America Chavez
    I knew she was good after the buff, but had no idea she's that good....will take her to R2 soon
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Member Posts: 2,723 ★★★★★
    Bishop
  • JMC2007JRJMC2007JR Member Posts: 53
    When I saw shockers deep dive and saw that heavy damage this was my reaction 😲😲😲😲 and I was hooked to him from the start. I know he got nerfed a few times, but he's still my favorite champion and my first r4. Shocker will be in my heart forever.
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,393 Guardian

The champ that also surprised me the most, was Mantis, and how annoyingly mid she is. Those heavies are very risky to play for potent furies with the AI we have in the game now. I have gotten hit by really damaging combos trying to pull that off. Much much better champs in the skill class than her. And frankly, can't waste time, when there are easier champs like NF, Moleman, BWDO, Shang-chi, Elsa, Monkey, Gwenpool et al. sitting in the skill class, with not such a problematic kit.

The only time Mantis shined however, was when she was the AI boss in that powerlock, unblockable-unstoppable EQ. She just went berserk, but again only as an AI 🤡

Curious how mantis heavies are risky. You can literally MLLLL get the intimidate and easily get 18-20 mixed emotion on the enemy and just get to sp2 and hold heavy, get 2 hits of the heavy in and sp2 to finish the fight.
  • MaratoxMaratox Member Posts: 1,596 ★★★★★
    Titania. She seemed somewhat underwhelming. The haymaker looked very weak and lack of immunities on an aggressive playstyle was lackluster. But after getting her she’s become one of my favorite champs to play
    edited July 2023
    @Pikolu are you saying I'm to interrupt her heavies in between, with an SP2? That sounds fair, but if not, and if I wait to put sp2 after her heavies, it would suck. Not only do the furies run out fast, but the AI will also block very easily if not timed perfectly.
  • Wolf911Wolf911 Member Posts: 414 ★★★

@Pikolu are you saying I'm to interrupt her heavies in between, with an SP2? That sounds fair, but if not, and if I wait to put sp2 after her heavies, it would suck. Not only do the furies run out fast, but the AI will also block very easily if not timed perfectly.

Nah go watch some videos on how to use her

she has 4 hits on her heavy you let her hit only first 2 hits to get 2 cruelty buffs

and only charge heavy if u have 20 mixed emotions so you can get her maximum 10 fury passives which last for whole sp2 which is all hits guranteed crits if you throw it after the 1 or 2 hits of heavy

MLLLL puts intimidate which makes defender more passive they mostly block so you can charge heavy without worrying also the sleep passive is like stun they wont move and you keep charging heavy until that sleep passive expires

Same guy saying torch is a good defender. Ignore!

Literally just MLL then light intercept eight times, MLLL, hit block twice, reach an sp2, hold heavy, and launch it. Fight is over. 40 seconds tops if you do it right.
    edited July 2023

Same guy saying torch is a good defender. Ignore!
    Idk why you are so pissed, lmao. Lucky you for not having been burnt by torch. Yippie. Congrats! Carry on!

@Wolf911 thanks, will do. Idk if this was pre-tweak or not, but I'll definitely try to get around her playstyle then. I was initially really disappointed after having pulled a streak of bad skill champs in 6 stars, I guess I overlooked Mantis there, in hope for the likes of Kingpin and Elsa.....