Options

Act 4 and 5 Buff

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★★★
It was just announced that Act 4 and 5 are getting a whole new rework.
https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/342508/acts-4-and-5-are-getting-revamped#latest

Thoughts? This might be my inspiration to go for full exploration if this makes the content more enjoyable. I'm at least glad they're making updating content a priority. Acts 4 and 5 have just been a chore to get through before getting to the modern point in the game for a while now.

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,329 ★★★★★
    TyEdge said:

“We need new players to progress really really fast because we have to have passable replacements for players who give up.”

^that’s what this reads like to me.

That's a strange assertion.
  • Options
    Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★★
    It’s in line with take away the act 6 challenge at all. So act 4-6 is easy peasy then
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,794 ★★★★★
    I just read the announcement and while I don't know the extent of the changes (Act 4 doesn't really seem like a piece of content that needs to be streamlined in my eyes), I do agree that there are certain things that would benefit from a do-over. All of 5.3 is just bad, for example. It's probably the content I hated the most in the entire game. Those class restrictions were truly awful and just stopped me dead in my tracks when I was a little n00b years ago. I remember ultimately just pushing through with the champions I had and ignoring the 50% damage reduction. Everything took way too long to get through, and there were six quests of that complete BS to get through just to get to 5.4. Not to mention exploring it all.

I really hope they remove that class-based damage reduction.

As for the other quests in Act 4 and 5, I'm more hesitant about those changes. While I do agree that especially Act 5 is a trial by fire, I also think that Summoners come out all the better for it in the end. It's a hard but, in my opinion, ultimately necessary lesson.
  • Options
    Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Posts: 694 ★★★
    This seems more detrimental than beneficial
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,393 ★★★★
    So, they're bumping the rewards up, and only sending the new ones to people who trceby completed it. Granted they'll hardly be useful to me,but it's the principal, I defeated a technically harder version and get potentially worse rewards.
  • Options
    Aomine_Daiki10Aomine_Daiki10 Posts: 1,638 ★★★★★
    RIP energy refills I won't be surprised.
  • Options
    Standardman1989Standardman1989 Posts: 543 ★★★
    For me there are other concerns about the game than act 4 act 5 to take care of.
  • Options
    A lot of fair points, but it's definitely a welcome change in my eyes. Exploring Act 4 has been pointless for years now, even just completing it feels like nothing more than an energy dump. To me, it's a lot less about whether the content is difficult and more about whether it's worth doing, which Act 4 and 5 just aren't, aside from the fact that it just allows you to move on from them.
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 781 ★★★★
    I fear this is another sign of a shift in focus to Battlegrounds and away from quest based content.

Uncollected is the minimum to access Battlegrounds and this will make it easier to get to that progression level.

The first warning sign to me was the Battlegrounds store being the best in the game by far and the other stores not being updated. The second sign was the lack of any endgame content for a long time. The third sign was the announcement that 8.3 will be cut in half. And now they are spending time remaking mid-game content in place of delivering endgame content.

• Options
    XFREEDOMXXFREEDOMX Posts: 498 ★★★

The faster/easier they progress in these acts, the faster they will be eligible in BG's mode and more are the accounts we will be able to stomp in there.

And more "How unfair BG matchmaking is" posts are going to show up! LOL
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,971 ★★★★★

I fear this is another sign of a shift in focus to Battlegrounds and away from quest based content.

Uncollected is the minimum to access Battlegrounds and this will make it easier to get to that progression level.

The first warning sign to me was the Battlegrounds store being the best in the game by far and the other stores not being updated. The second sign was the lack of any endgame content for a long time. The third sign was the announcement that 8.3 will be cut in half. And now they are spending time remaking mid-game content in place of delivering endgame content.

Dang, dude. You didn’t have to be so…right.

That’s a bummer.
  • Options

This is a major worry for me, but seeing how much effort they put into Act 8 so far, I've got some hope that that's not the case. 8.1 was easily the most enjoyable content for me in ages. If 8.3 is a disappointment, I'll lose a good bit of faith in Kabam's content direction.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,916 Guardian

The shift towards accelerating players to UC as the defacto start of the bulk of the game started long before Battlegrounds existed. And end game caliber content in this game tends to come in waves: people are literally always complaining that the devs are not working on end game content except when we're flooded with it.

I believe this is people seeing what they wish to see.
  • Options
    DukenpukeDukenpuke Posts: 658 ★★★
    I wish they did this before I got Elder's Bane on all 3 of my accounts.
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,971 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

The shift towards accelerating players to UC as the defacto start of the bulk of the game started long before Battlegrounds existed. And end game caliber content in this game tends to come in waves: people are literally always complaining that the devs are not working on end game content except when we're flooded with it.

I believe this is people seeing what they wish to see.
    Shooting stars was highly rewarding content, but it wasn’t hard or time consuming. In terms of this game having “stuff to do,” we’ve had one chapter of story mode in 2023, shooting stars, and the EoP finale/Carina.

I literally can’t think of the last time we had a bonus event along the lines of a boss rush or celebrity challenge. I am choosing not to count Lunar New Year for that. It’s not relevant to the type of content we’re discussing.

Recent summers have included Gauntlet, EOP and SOP. On top of that, we’ve lost functional war and AQ has become fatally unrewarding due to their stubborn refusal to update the glory store.

And I think you’ve said things that are at odds with each other - that we see what we want to see and that we’re flooded at times with endgame content. That’s ridiculous. You can track major releases and see when they were releasing story content and a variant a week apart or a month apart.

Some of those floods were designed to help the most advanced players be first in line for new progression titles or materials, like Carina v2 and 7.4.