What is with Kabam?

PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 35
edited September 2023 in General Discussion
Are they actually interested in retaining customers?

I initially picked up this game in 2015 and started playing religiously for a bit and when I got a new phone, I tried to log back in and couldn't, logging in through Google Play couldn't fetch the account (tried for quite a while), it appeared I would need to start over

(eventually I read that this was a common thing)

Fast forward to 2023, I decided to give the game another shot and start a new account, I logged in, but this time it found my old account. Assigned a Kabam ID, updated some old username I had from a decade ago.

I spend some money and build up my account for the past few months but I eventually face some problems/bugs. So I go to the support page and I believe it required me to sign in so I log in the same way I log into the game, via Google, the same email associated with my Google Play. Same email/Google Play account connected to my Kabam account. I put in tickets for help and they cannot help me because the email doesn't match whats on file. They only see the Kabam ID email (i guess?) and I am using my Google Play email.

Can't change the email on my profile of the support portal either, I want to change it to be my kabam ID email, but it says its in use. So I try to log in with that email and the same password, brings me to the same ticket page, showing the same tickets. I can literally log into the support portal with my Kabam ID and they don't know that I am the person because it shows my Google Play email address that is also connected to my account.

Then they require a 5-6 security question process, referring to your first purchases, exact amounts, dates, and first username, first ever email assigned, exactly where you were when registered.They started in 2015. You must get them all right and they wont tell you which are incorrect.

This is a joke of a process. Support can't see both emails? 5-6 question verification with questions that you never told the customer they'd need to remember...

They gained a paying customer back for only a few months before their bugs and system screwed the person over again.

Comments

• DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,807 ★★★★★
    So to summarize.... having account security so no one can take control of your account is bad? Got it.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Member Posts: 7,419 ★★★★★
    When I started MCOC, I used an email/password combo that I saved and never forgot. Decent strategy, if it helps.
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2023

So to summarize.... having account security so no one can take control of your account is bad? Got it.

If that's what you got from that, you didn't read. I run a large scaled app myself. Security questions generally involve information they can for sure obtain if they are indeed the true owner. It's also information they know to keep record of. Username/Display name history is not one of those, and it surely wouldn't be a change that could occur nearly 10 years ago.

Also, they are claiming that I am not submitting from the correct email, which I am. This is a large company. Having glaring issues like this is very poor.

If you contact your bank, they do not have 5 verification questions for you, if you are unsure of one, they will provide you with another in the list. And that's a bank, that handles your money.
  • DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Member Posts: 21,807 ★★★★★

If that's what you got from that, you didn't read. I run a large scaled app myself. Security questions generally involve information they can for sure obtain if they are indeed the true owner. It's also information they know to keep record of. Username/Display name history is not one of those.

Also, they are claiming that I am not submitting from the correct email, which I am. This is a large company. Having glaring issues like this is very poor.
    I mean you're wrong, but whatever.
    edited September 2023

When I started MCOC, I used an email/password combo that I saved and never forgot. Decent strategy, if it helps.

This isn't a username/email problem. I have this information.
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★
    There are a couple of people here that only see in black and white and will disagree just to be difficult. Very helpful for Kabam.

Here's the thing - the bank has access to that info. Kabam, fortunately, does not. But asking for transaction info from 8 years ago is insane.
    edited September 2023
    People change their display names multiple times. Especially when you just start a game. You're supposed to know the very first one you registered with. It would not be uncommon to start playing this game, change your display name from

TopGun1 -> TopGun19 -> GunMan18 and then keep that for years and then when you think back, you're supposed to know which one was first? You can't exactly give them multiple options. Now when you combine that with multiple other strange questions that relate to activity that goes back anywhere from 1-10 years, you can see why that would be difficult. Especially when they don't tell you which one is incorrect.

Personally, I sign up to stuff with something quick, just to test the game/app. I don't give two thoughts to remembering the first information I inputted
  • Agent_7Agent_7 Member Posts: 183 ★★

Every security process requires some form of break glass mechanism. Things happen to even the most disciplined of cybersecurity professionals, much less the average end user. Matching against an email from 8-9 years ago and/or referencing purchases made 8-9 years ago isn’t “security”, it’s lunacy.
  • GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Member, Guardian Posts: 6,479 Guardian

To be fair, the account security is about over the top with what they ask, or at least it was when I made my first support ticket.