**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

There is no such thing as “best champion in the game”

Comments

• gohard123gohard123 Posts: 998 ★★★
    ESF wrote: »
    gohard123 wrote: »

You aren't good enough at using blade

Or maybe I am kinda good at using other characters, too -- nice try, though

never doubted your ability to use other characters. Just your ability to use blade
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Born wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why they nerfed champs such as DS, SW, Thor and SL. They were once considered the best in game, much like Blade is now. I fail to see why they nerfed those champs and would not do the same to champs like blade, AA etc.. There must of been a reason for the nerf. Some of these knew champs seem on par or even more powerful than they ever were. Their abilities don’t seem any more special then some of these new champs.

In six months or so, we will find out what they truly think of Blade -- once he gets in the Basic pool and more people get him, you are right: If he tilts the game to where his metrics are out of whack, they will nerf it.

Some people forget DS was actually nerfed twice. OG DS was basically unstoppable. Red Deadpool was unkillable at one juncture of the game, but he wouldn't be now with things like heal block...pre-12.0 SW was definitely a cheat code.

I don't know. Blade is a very good character. We will find out if Kabam thinks he is OP in a few months

Haji_Saab wrote: »

Old Thor could take down RoL WS in 9 hits ... Old SW can forever stun lock anyone that is not stun immune. Old DS would just never die in the right hands and sp1 spam overpowered any annoying defender.

The new god tier is OP in relation to other champs but not in comparison to old gods.

Agreed. I get it: Blade is useful.

But I honestly don't see why so many people are up in arms. I honestly don't. Is it the regen?

Because AA's DPS is just off the charts compared to Blade's -- AA kills characters in 25-30 seconds, sometimes.

I just don't see Blade as more than a very useful character in the right matchups. I don't know.

You aren't good enough at using blade

Or maybe I am kinda good at using other characters, too -- nice try, though

never doubted your ability to use other characters. Just your ability to use blade

LOL I admit it: That actually made me laugh. Good one
  • TKalTKal Posts: 534 ★★
    There is absolutely a best champion in the game. And it’s blade. He’s got insane regen, crits and bleed. He is the best components of other champions all combined into the best

Power control anyone ?
    That’s a pretty huge lack in this game.
  • BornBorn Posts: 228 ★★
    Makes you wonder why they nerfed champs such as DS, SW, Thor and SL. They were once considered the best in game, much like Blade is now. I fail to see why they nerfed those champs and would not do the same to champs like blade, AA etc.. There must of been a reason for the nerf. Some of these knew champs seem on par or even more powerful than they ever were. Their abilities don’t seem any more special then some of these new champs.

Old Thor could take down RoL WS in 9 hits ... Old SW can forever stun lock anyone that is not stun immune. Old DS would just never die in the right hands and sp1 spam overpowered any annoying defender.

The new god tier is OP in relation to other champs but not in comparison to old gods.

Those arguments are weak. Thor was useless against stun immune nodes, safeguard nodes as well. You needed skill to get the armour breaks and you needs a short parry time which affected the other champs on your team.

SW couldn’t stun lock a stun immune champ either, have you tried her VS a Mordo?

DS needed skill to be good, he also has his weaknesses. He is no different than the power gain king that is now Hyperion, who also has regen, hits 20 times harder and can also spam SP1 over and over.

Some of the champs these days have much more OP abilities and there are enough new nodes to prevent them from walking over content like they once did.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    It wasn't just the old Champs. Part of it, yes. It was the Champs in combination with the Synergies and the old system that allowed them to increase Damage and Abilities exponentially. To the point where they literally couldn't create content that they wouldn't plow through. The Champs were part of it. The nerfs were also necessary, as much as some of us still don't agree.

Those arguments are weak. Thor was useless against stun immune nodes, safeguard nodes as well. You needed skill to get the armour breaks and you needs a short parry time which affected the other champs on your team.

SW couldn’t stun lock a stun immune champ either, have you tried her VS a Mordo?

DS needed skill to be good, he also has his weaknesses. He is no different than the power gain king that is now Hyperion, who also has regen, hits 20 times harder and can also spam SP1 over and over.

Some of the champs these days have much more OP abilities and there are enough new nodes to prevent them from walking over content like they once did.

If you are creating niche situations to justify anything, then here we go:

Hyperion, can't do jack to stun immune mystics with MD.

AA can't touch bleed immunes.

Blade can't do much against colossus with heal block node.

And DS was the absolute king of the AW. Hyperion is not even close.

Exactly my point. They all have weaknesses. The old and the new. How do you think DS would go against dorm? He would get smashed by degen with all those buffs. The old system yes, but they changed all that. They wouldn’t be OP in the current game if their former abilities were returned to them.
  • GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★

Exactly my point. They all have weaknesses. The old and the new. How do you think DS would go against dorm? He would get smashed by degen with all those buffs. The old system yes, but they changed all that. They wouldn’t be OP in the current game if their former abilities were returned to them.

You keep thinking that lol. Just give me a pre-nerf SW and I'll smash through 5.4 with just her and a crit team
    edited December 2017
    GbSarkar wrote: »

You keep thinking that lol. Just give me a pre-nerf SW and I'll smash through 5.4 with just her and a crit team

Oh really? How would you go on the bleed and poison paths? Or debuff immune paths?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited December 2017
    It wouldn't be possible in the new system. With DR, they would be useless in their old form. In some cases, game-breaking. Bring Widow back to 100% with the old Crits, she would negate most Champs. Give DS his Regen and Power Gain back, add that to the Synergy just released. Beyond God Tier. Theoretically. In actuality, DR would make it harder and harder to mount, and we would have another IF situation. Bottom line is, 12.0 was a package deal.
  • KarinshiKarinshi Posts: 280 ★★
    then have fun clearing act5/LOL with 5/50 - 4/55 LC or Groot.
  • OnlyOneAboveAllOnlyOneAboveAll Posts: 387 ★★

Prior to these champs getting nerfed we didn't have things like stun immune nodes or safeguard. Nodes didn't exist. So there is that.....
  • ZenioZenio Posts: 106
    Blade Getting nerfed..
  • Vdh2008Vdh2008 Posts: 966 ★★★★
    Zenio wrote: »
    Blade Getting nerfed..

They'll wait until his second run in the feature 5 star crystals though. Lol
  • OnlyOneAboveAllOnlyOneAboveAll Posts: 387 ★★

Oh really? How would you go on the bleed and poison paths? Or debuff immune paths?

She had one of the best regens in the game. Easily outlast anything thrown at her. I have mine maxed fully and only see her regen like once a week in War. Before it happened all the time. Beat the RoL with only her and 1 revive. Messed up fighting myself. They nerfed her cause she would have destroyed the LOL. Same with DS.
  • Hulk_77Hulk_77 Posts: 782 ★★★
    Hulk_77 wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    My attitude here is that for well-informed players with full knowledge of how the content works and a lot of experience with how the champions play, there can be a "best in the game" champion opinion which can be reasonably debated with other like-minded players. Its no different from picking an MVP for a sports team knowing full well that one single player can't do much all by themselves: there is still the notion that one player is more valuable than the others even if they are not the best at everything or can even do anything.

It is when unknowledgeable players *ask* who is the best champion in the game that there's a problem. Because there is no one champion that is best at everything, they can get the wrong idea when they are told who is "best" before they learn who is even "good."

Back in the day, "best" was essentially "best at dealing damage" because most content was doable with a variety of champions, making the singular worst case scenario Labyrinth of Legends, which generally requires maximum damage output to minimize the cost to beat (the enrage timers make any other strategy other than maximum damage per second mostly meaningless). Which basically put Star Lord alone at the top of the heap. But as the general content got harder with things like Act 5 and the special events and now uncollected difficulty, LoL isn't the only focus of the end game. Other champions like Voodoo and Iceman and Archangel started to share the spotlight with Star Lord.

I think Blade attracts a lot of interest because while he is not necessarily the best at anything, he has fewer bad matchups than other champions and even his worst matchups are not bad. And I think that follows the pattern of Iceman being considered one of the best previously: not chosen for being the best at something, but for being always at least pretty good everywhere. Blade is never bad, and that means he has a lot more upside potential when facing future endgame content, on top of also being very good at the currently very difficult stuff.

Heck, I took three shots at him originally, and I'm saving to try for him in February. I don't know if he is the best champion, I just know I want him more than any other champion currently.

By that measure, I'd say Spark is better than Blade then. Spark definitely has fewer bad matchups than Blade.

All mystics with 5/5 MD are bad matchups against spark

False. He can bait them with ease with Taunt. Or he can drop a big power drain with his heavy. Or he can fire off a special 3 and disrupt their ability accuracy with Ensnare for 30 seconds.

Just because in other fights you might use Spark to evade a bunch to build charges doesn't mean you have to approach every fight the same. Spark is very well equipped for fights against defenders with 5/5 MD.
  • CammonRoCammonRo Posts: 377 ★★
    SW is the only champ I felt really needed balancing. She's still very good now but not OP like she was. There are now obviously better mystics.

After that maybe Thor. In the right hands his old damage was off the charts - 5 armor breaks - fuggedaboutit. But that took a lot of skill and luck to achieve. I've seen other newer champs like Morningstar do similarly crazy stuff lately. At any rate, I understand them tweaking him but his first nerfed version was just absolutely horrible. The re-buff made a big difference but he's not better than Hyperion and he is weak sauce against stun immune. I see no reason he cannot be in the 5 star pool.

What happened to DS was just wrong - plain and simple. They could've made him weaker. They didn't have to make him hot garbage. Not that I even care but why is he not in the 5 star pool now?

BW still has her uses but she's another one who was overcorrected. Like DS, they took away and gave nothing back. She's totally niche and for what she does you have a lot of better options these days.

• GbSarkarGbSarkar Posts: 1,075 ★★★

Bleed nodes can be easily overcome with SW (and I speak this from experience. I've cleared bleed nodes with SW and DS and ended fight at full health). Didn't attempt poison nodes but pretty sure it would've been the same case. As for debuff immune—it doesn't matter with SW. You could just keep blocking and hitting opponent during openings and kill them. She would regen back all the block damage and buff herself enough to finish opponent in 1-2 L2s

Bleed nodes can be easily overcome with SW (and I speak this from experience. I've cleared bleed nodes with SW and DS and ended fight at full health). Didn't attempt poison nodes but pretty sure it would've been the same case. As for debuff immune—it doesn't matter with SW. You could just keep blocking and hitting opponent during openings and kill them. She would regen back all the block damage and buff herself enough to finish opponent in 1-2 L2s

I was referring to the comment about clearing act 5 with just her and a crit team. I guarantee a 4* 5/50 would die real quick on poison and bleed nodes when the oppents have 7+K attack. Not talking about about running through a bleed node in master mode of the monthly quest lol
  • FAL7ENFAL7EN Posts: 297
    What’s that smell?!?!? It has the scent of nerfs on the horizon lol

She had one of the best regens in the game. Easily outlast anything thrown at her. I have mine maxed fully and only see her regen like once a week in War. Before it happened all the time. Beat the RoL with only her and 1 revive. Messed up fighting myself. They nerfed her cause she would have destroyed the LOL. Same with DS.

Many champs can clear ROL easily. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

They had a node called “dulled” in LOL, which basically made her useless in there. And DS would struggle to do any damage in LOL, cant see him destroying anyone in LOL, especially since he will have such a short enrage timer.

So again, the could have created nodes that prevented these champs from walking through content, didn’t need to nerf them to the ground.

• QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★

Prior to these champs getting nerfed we didn't have things like stun immune nodes or safeguard. Nodes didn't exist. So there is that.....

this isn't true at all.
  • QwertyQwerty Posts: 636 ★★★

I was referring to the comment about clearing act 5 with just her and a crit team. I guarantee a 4* 5/50 would die real quick on poison and bleed nodes when the oppents have 7+K attack. Not talking about about running through a bleed node in master mode of the monthly quest lol

i don't think you understand how strong SW was. it wasn't uncommon to have 5-7 regen stacks at any given time.
  • FAL7ENFAL7EN Posts: 297
    Qwerty wrote: »

i don't think you understand how strong SW was. it wasn't uncommon to have 5-7 regen stacks at any given time.
    It’s not hard to cap it to 1 or 2 regens at a time. Instead of doing that they decided to nerf the champ to the ground.

I am fully aware thanks. She would have died quickly.

And they could add a heal block to that node. Done, she’s useless. Or dulled node, or many others that could make her not so OP.

Nerfing champs is never the answer
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    edited December 2017

Many champs can clear ROL easily. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

They had a node called “dulled” in LOL, which basically made her useless in there. And DS would struggle to do any damage in LOL, cant see him destroying anyone in LOL, especially since he will have such a short enrage timer.

So again, the could have created nodes that prevented these champs from walking through content, didn’t need to nerf them to the ground.

The dulled node was implemented after first few guys rolled over paths with SW. As was limber