Black Cat - How good do you have to be?

PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,328 ★★★★★
Only a few hours left of level up and i was going to r2 her with a generic, but I’m seeing people mention you need a lot of skill to make her worth the rank up (or worth the rankup over Mantis).

I’ve just been getting the card on me then throwing sp2 and if I have the BW striker i activate it for bonus damage, but I don’t heavy counter to stack up the card (at least not in BGs) .

I also don’t bother with viscous because i only run 1 in DW. And the BW relic makes it so you kinda always want to run sabotage even if they dont have abilities that fail.

Comments

• PolygonPolygon Member Posts: 4,328 ★★★★★
    Anyone rank her up and find her highly effective in BGs? Would be nice to see some screenshots of matches
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,792 ★★★★★

My recent matchups, mine is r1 unduped black cat no suicides
  • LetheLatteLetheLatte Member Posts: 114
    Polygon said:

Only a few hours left of level up and i was going to r2 her with a generic, but I’m seeing people mention you need a lot of skill to make her worth the rank up (or worth the rankup over Mantis).

I’ve just been getting the card on me then throwing sp2 and if I have the BW striker i activate it for bonus damage, but I don’t heavy counter to stack up the card (at least not in BGs) .

I also don’t bother with viscous because i only run 1 in DW. And the BW relic makes it so you kinda always want to run sabotage even if they dont have abilities that fail.

Just need a bit of Tigra Skill
    edited December 2023

Polygon said:

@LetheLatte why’s that? I thought the special/heavy punishing to build up the card wasn’t needed for BGs?
  • PikoluPikolu Member, Guardian Posts: 7,336 Guardian
    edited December 2023
    Black cat can be played as simple or as complicated as you want her too. Something to note is you can heavy counter opponents heavies, not just their specials for more card movement. The fights she can be played the most braindead is when opponents have abilities that can fail. Don't need to move the card around unless you need to get your combo up. Here is a video of a hazard shift rintrah I took in war today.
    https://youtu.be/jtCgzSw-xqg?si=OkMY8Yirp4lnviwx
  • SungjSungj Member Posts: 2,113 ★★★★★
    You can play her very simply and she still is great. The skill requirement is if you really want to maximize her breadth of match ups as well as speed.

Like Tigra knowing most special and heavy punish openings makes ramping black cat much faster. Her heavy reach isn’t as good as Tigra’s so this takes even more precise spacing and light attack whiffs to close space. Knowing how to reliably intercept also makes her ramp quicker.

She also takes a lottttt of match ups you wouldn’t intuitively think she’s good for. While not necessarily a skill there’s definitely a knowledge requirement with nodes and champs to use her to her full potential.
  • MaxtheSilentMaxtheSilent Member Posts: 818 ★★★★
    She reminds me of Absorbing Man in this regard: it takes minimal skill to succeed with her in ideal matchups (e.g. Thing) but if you are skilled in using her then she can take down a lot of non-ideal champions. So you can benefit from ranking her up even while you’re learning to play her In trickier match ups.
  • LetheLatteLetheLatte Member Posts: 114
    Polygon said:

Polygon said:

@LetheLatte why’s that? I thought the special/heavy punishing to build up the card wasn’t needed for BGs?
    Its mainly to end the fight faster or to do more dmg on a short period of time
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,886 ★★★★★
    R2 mine unawakened. She’s terrific, and I struggle with connectivity and frame rate stutter quite a bit, so playing intercepts can sometimes be an issue.

Honestly, I think she’s the best Skill 7* with possible exception of Mantis. See if @Ercarret has any videos.

Dr. Zola
  • jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,379 ★★★★
    DrZola said:

R2 mine unawakened. She’s terrific, and I struggle with connectivity and frame rate stutter quite a bit, so playing intercepts can sometimes be an issue.

Honestly, I think she’s the best Skill 7* with possible exception of Mantis. See if @Ercarret has any videos.

Dr. Zola

I would agree with that second sentiment. I took mine to R2 unawakened as well. Now I'm debating on who to R2 next for skill with the obvious champ probably my awakened Mantis (also have unawakened Elsa, Falcon, Hawkeye, and awakened Ronin)...but part of me wants to wait to see if I can pull a Killmonger, or perhaps end up with Chee'Ilth from my next Titan (this opening is a ways away, but better to save resources than impulse rank I suppose?)

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

I would agree with that second sentiment. I took mine to R2 unawakened as well. Now I'm debating on who to R2 next for skill with the obvious champ probably my awakened Mantis (also have unawakened Elsa, Falcon, Hawkeye, and awakened Ronin)...but part of me wants to wait to see if I can pull a Killmonger, or perhaps end up with Chee'Ilth from my next Titan (this opening is a ways away, but better to save resources than impulse rank I suppose?)
    KM dupe or first time? I know hes a top r3 candidate but i assume needs the dupe for that? Still tanky without
  • jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,379 ★★★★
    Polygon said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

KM dupe or first time? I know hes a top r3 candidate but i assume needs the dupe for that? Still tanky without
    It would be a first time pull. And yea, I really think you want the dupe, although I know he can still be fairly annoying unduped on defense.
  • DarknessFallsDarknessFalls Member Posts: 162 ★★
    I did r2 for mine, still unawakened, really enjoying playing her, don't even care about rotations. She takes a lot of matchups even though I play her in a simple way.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,792 ★★★★★
    DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

Shang chi exists...
  • Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Member Posts: 1,682 ★★★★★
    I am in no way super skilled with Black Cat, but I can deal some huge damage and ignore abilities with her, helps I have a duped 6* Black widow relic on her