Sagas makes me less interested in the game overall

altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
"Sagas are 3 Month long seasons of content that will provide a canvas for solo and multiplayer content in addition to our regular Monthly content." Tagged champions receive boosts, and certain modes grant Tactics.

With what little interest I might have had in BGs/AW, the announcement of the upcoming Sagas has now completely torpedoed my desire to engage with those modes.

Incursions is probably also gonna be something I skip if the Defender's receive benefits from the tags as well (even though the attacker gains tactics).

Arenas are gonna be more of a slog since if the Defender's benefit from the tag they require more hits to take out.

Depending on the overlap with Winter of Woe and Spring of Sorrow, there might be some weirdness where certain champions might work better one week but not the next (when the Saga ends).

Overall, this seems like a creation that makes me less interested in the game, as opposed to more.

Comments

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,428 ★★★★★
    edited February 27
    BigBlueOx said:

I just tire of these mechanics that basically tell me what champs I need to use. There’s over 250 champs in the game but it only ever feels like 35 or so are relevant at any point these days.

That’s because you players use those 35 or so champs every day and aren’t willing to change

Sagas are ultimately going to be good, because they diversify the game
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,321 ★★★★★
    It is not even launced and we already started to get complaints
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

altavista said:

"Sagas are 3 Month long seasons of content that will provide a canvas for solo and multiplayer content in addition to our regular Monthly content." Tagged champions receive boosts, and certain modes grant Tactics.

With what little interest I might have had in BGs/AW, the announcement of the upcoming Sagas has now completely torpedoed my desire to engage with those modes.

Incursions is probably also gonna be something I skip if the Defender's receive benefits from the tags as well (even though the attacker gains tactics).

Arenas are gonna be more of a slog since if the Defender's benefit from the tag they require more hits to take out.

Depending on the overlap with Winter of Woe and Spring of Sorrow, there might be some weirdness where certain champions might work better one week but not the next (when the Saga ends).

Overall, this seems like a creation that makes me less interested in the game, as opposed to more.

Interesting. So by the same token, champion buffs are also problematic because they improve content defenders, incursions defenders, arena defenders, and battleground defenders.
    Lol, that's a pretty good comment. But I do 'kind' of feel that way about Buffs sometimes.

Buffed champions (typically defenders like Red Skull or other) are super annoying to face, and despite being usable now in content as an Attacker, I still wouldn't rank them over the Tech champions I have and want. So in the ratio between "Feel better about pulling and ranking this Buffed champion" vs "Still don't prioritize this Buffed champion but now I am again annoyed having to face them as a Defender", the majority of the time I am on the latter.

Example: I just got a 7-star Iron Man from Valentine's. Am I less bummed than I would have been pre-buff? Yes. Will I be ranking up this champion over all the other Tech 7-star that Kabam's RNG keeps giving me? No. I don't play highly competitive modes, so I don't need to rank up champions just cause 'they're great for BGs/AW'. What champions I need for content I can get by with 6R3/7R1 and boosts.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,415 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

BigBlueOx said:

I just tire of these mechanics that basically tell me what champs I need to use. There’s over 250 champs in the game but it only ever feels like 35 or so are relevant at any point these days.

Which mechanics are "these?" Because I hate to break it to you, but everything in the game since day one has been "telling players what they need to use." The content dictates what champ to use. Even a champ with no powers or abilities tells the players what to use. In the old days, it was just use whatever hits the hardest, or just use perfect block teams. The good old days were not better, they were worse.

The game uses buffs and nodes and other more complex mechanics because the range of champions is wider, and distinguishing them is more complex, and the desire is to do it less randomly. But it is not like there was a golden age of MCOC where people were using Groot and StarLord in equal amounts.

What I've noticed is that most of the time, when people complain that the game is "forcing" them to use one of thirty champs, it is because they want to be free to use one of six instead. Which unfortunately is the sort of thing that only happens in sandboxes, or in the very early moments of the game where there aren't very many options in the first place.
    I think we can all agree that there are varying degrees to "telling players what to do." The beginning tutorial essentially forces players to play a certain way, without any options. Arenas have an 'invisible' way to force players to play a certain way (ie. save your high powered teams after a certain number of rounds, but then you can do almost anything you want from then on).

Nodes and Defenders are also another way players can be directly or indirectly told. It can be either "Only 2-star champions" allowed or "7-star champions get a boost."

What I feel like is happening is that Kabam is leaning more towards the restrictive, outright telling mode of design recently.

I'm not angry about it, and I definitely did not agree with all the outrage directed at Kabam and Content Creators for WoW Absorbing Man and the Carina Challenges. But the thing that compounds this issue for me is that Kabam's UI is not flexibly designed to reduce the impact of Restrictive design.

If only a certain number of champions work for any given Mode, then Kabam should make it easier on the player to select those champions so that they can start playing.

There was that one BG meta where players had to consult things outside the game or use their memory, in order to utilize the meta. That was correctly pointed out as being a pain point, but it shows how there is a limit to how more efficient Kabam can make their UI.

People point to using the filters to easily find champions that meet the objective for Winter of Woe, but that in itself is UI that could be improved.

We can't access Objectives from the Edit Team menu, so we always have to go to another screen before we can select our champion.

To use the Filter, we have to button press to open the side menu, button press to hit the Filter, Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Add tags and tap the screen. Once you're finally in the Tags screen, scrolling to find what you are looking for is inefficient. If you instead search for tags, you can search and add a tag pretty quickly. But if you want multiple tags, you don't quite know that all your desired tags are correctly selected until you hit Confirm (Eg. If you search and select Size M, then clear the search bar to search and select Offensive Burst, you don't visually know if Size M is still selected as well until you hit Confirm).

Now every month, Kabam seems to seed both Objectives as well as the Event lists with things we have to keep track of separately. It always requires a visit to a second screen, in order to know what champion to select to meet the requirements of the event or objective. That is some added friction to just being able to play the game.

These are frankly minor annoyances at the end of the day, but it is just another negative point that makes Restrictive design feel worse than it should.

• BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,105 ★★★★★
    edited February 27

BigBlueOx said:

This addition is specifically to encourage diverse champion usage
    Oh I get that, and I understand that to a point but i like using diverse champs and experiencing multitudes of combinations. In an open meta this is at least possible. Yes, there are the players that only wanna use the same few nukes, and I do see value in trying to get them to use some of the other champs in this game. But I’m not one of those summoners. I like things like CCP challenges and I’m loving taking care of those. I enjoyed using Mojo to solo EoP Herc and I found him very effective against Dragonman. I enjoyed using BW and Hawkeye in the Gauntlet. I’d be more enthusiastic about Sagas is BGs wasn’t in the scope as it’s the opposite of what that game mode needs. In fact it’s doubling down on one if the things that’s dragging the mode down right now.

I miss 4 season BGs metas, I miss things like armor burn (with out the silly class bonus) and I miss things like Crit me with your best shot. I want more of that.

What I’m tired of is playing endless amounts of BGs decks with little variation because the seasonal class metas really only let a narrow set of champs shine and greatly hamper others. It’s just dull to chop down the same tree over and over again and when 35 champs are so greatly highlighted over the rest it feels more like Sisyphus rolling a stone.

It’s not gonna diversify the game in my opinion it’s going to create windows of less diversity because we will all be prioritizing the SAME champs

edited February 27
    altavista said:

DNA3000 said:

BigBlueOx said:

Which mechanics are "these?" Because I hate to break it to you, but everything in the game since day one has been "telling players what they need to use." The content dictates what champ to use. Even a champ with no powers or abilities tells the players what to use. In the old days, it was just use whatever hits the hardest, or just use perfect block teams. The good old days were not better, they were worse.

The game uses buffs and nodes and other more complex mechanics because the range of champions is wider, and distinguishing them is more complex, and the desire is to do it less randomly. But it is not like there was a golden age of MCOC where people were using Groot and StarLord in equal amounts.

What I've noticed is that most of the time, when people complain that the game is "forcing" them to use one of thirty champs, it is because they want to be free to use one of six instead. Which unfortunately is the sort of thing that only happens in sandboxes, or in the very early moments of the game where there aren't very many options in the first place.
    I think we can all agree that there are varying degrees to "telling players what to do." The beginning tutorial essentially forces players to play a certain way, without any options. Arenas have an 'invisible' way to force players to play a certain way (ie. save your high powered teams after a certain number of rounds, but then you can do almost anything you want from then on).

Nodes and Defenders are also another way players can be directly or indirectly told. It can be either "Only 2-star champions" allowed or "7-star champions get a boost."

What I feel like is happening is that Kabam is leaning more towards the restrictive, outright telling mode of design recently.

I'm not angry about it, and I definitely did not agree with all the outrage directed at Kabam and Content Creators for WoW Absorbing Man and the Carina Challenges. But the thing that compounds this issue for me is that Kabam's UI is not flexibly designed to reduce the impact of Restrictive design.

If only a certain number of champions work for any given Mode, then Kabam should make it easier on the player to select those champions so that they can start playing.

There was that one BG meta where players had to consult things outside the game or use their memory, in order to utilize the meta. That was correctly pointed out as being a pain point, but it shows how there is a limit to how more efficient Kabam can make their UI.

People point to using the filters to easily find champions that meet the objective for Winter of Woe, but that in itself is UI that could be improved.

We can't access Objectives from the Edit Team menu, so we always have to go to another screen before we can select our champion.

To use the Filter, we have to button press to open the side menu, button press to hit the Filter, Scroll all the way to the bottom to the Add tags and tap the screen. Once you're finally in the Tags screen, scrolling to find what you are looking for is inefficient. If you instead search for tags, you can search and add a tag pretty quickly. But if you want multiple tags, you don't quite know that all your desired tags are correctly selected until you hit Confirm (Eg. If you search and select Size M, then clear the search bar to search and select Offensive Burst, you don't visually know if Size M is still selected as well until you hit Confirm).

Now every month, Kabam seems to seed both Objectives as well as the Event lists with things we have to keep track of separately. It always requires a visit to a second screen, in order to know what champion to select to meet the requirements of the event or objective. That is some added friction to just being able to play the game.

These are frankly minor annoyances at the end of the day, but it is just another negative point that makes Restrictive design feel worse than it should.

They are trying to diversify mcoc, encourage players to use other champs other than their top options. Like others said we have over 200 champs with different and fun playstyles. What’s the point to complain?
    edited February 28
    Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

Nacho98 said:

Brother it hasn’t even come out yet lmfao

Mcoc players on their way to complain about nothing
    This is what makes me annoyed
    It’ll always happen so we just have to live with it. Mcoc players have been complaining since the beginning of time

Not that there aren’t valid complaints, but posts like this 💀
    Then there needs to be less words, more action
  • VotkuKetkuVotkuKetku Member Posts: 8

BigBlueOx said:

This addition is specifically to encourage diverse champion usage
    Ah, and you think that's purely a good thing. We built our various teams of absolutely necessary 5* champs, then 6* champs, soon 7* champs - and with this stuff we are "encouraged" to build a team three times the size of that.

Well, at least it's good that when we are being milked, some like it and tell others how great it is.
  • Jack2634Jack2634 Member Posts: 912 ★★★
    symbiote supreme was my first 5 star r5 and 6 star r2 and r3. But ever since 6.2.6 champion pre nerf , i don't have much chances to play him again as he only shines in extremely buff heavy matchups. So i am extremely excited about the rank 3-4 and 4-5 gem from it as 100% i will make him great again and give him the treatment he deserved
  • KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Member Posts: 1,229 ★★★★
    Speak for yourself. I've been enjoying Sagas all week. 😃
    Wait! It's not even out yet, you say? Oh. My bad.