Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Possibly the goofiest MCOC bug so far

I'm the first to say, programming is tricky, programming games is not easy, programming game engines is complicated. But then there's times the game just does goofy s---tuff, and the only reasonable explanation is drugs.

Here is what as far as I can tell is a perfectly ordinary alliance, with perhaps a slightly unconventional name.

Why am I pointing them out? Because this is how the arena leaderboards lists someone from this alliance:

If it isn't obvious:

(Yes, I have a pretty good idea what's happening here. Why it is happening in a text field that is supposed to be five characters long is where the drugs come in. Also, yes, I placed 418. That's somewhat less amusing)

Comments

• Options
    AshacekarAshacekar Posts: 1,794 ★★★★
    These are data level issues which isn't much goofy. It can happen. The user or alliance might not have populated well. Data validation or synchronisation won't have worked for this user. In software there's frontend, backend and data.
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,805 ★★★★★
    I’ve seen this before, this is an encoding issue. I know this because I encountered this bug with my dev team right before a UAT. Here are some articles I looked up to explain it further.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68122865/string-ecoding-returns-wrong-values-33-48-becomes-33-47999999999999488

https://github.com/apple/swift-corelibs-foundation/issues/4255

https://forums.swift.org/t/floating-point-precision-issue-when-decoding-json-value/54690
  • Options
    Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 759 ★★★
    dollar into cent into dollar rule. i remembered that during my js course lol
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,203 ★★★★★
    I don't get it, since [2.800] is a numerical value, they replaced it with a 5 character long random placeholder value [okuto]? But why okuto, is there a meaning for it or something? Enlighten me 🤲
  • Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 402 ★★★
    That is hilarious. Time to go create tag 'null' and see what happens
  • Options
    Ackbar67 said:

It will still read the string as ‘null’. But I get the joke. If there was a rule to convert the string ‘null’ into a null value, the whole leaderboard would crash.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

It will still read the string as ‘null’. But I get the joke. If there was a rule to convert the string ‘null’ into a null value, the whole leaderboard would crash.
    Hmm…

I know, sounds a bit extreme but these things happen sometimes. A null value where there shouldn’t be a null value can sometimes cause the API which is reading from the DB / table to return a 404 error / crash. What we would probably see is that indefinite loading icon. That’s my best guess.
  • Options
    SkyfawSkyfaw Posts: 172 ★★
    Rip on missing dust

I ended up doing a little too much
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,706 Guardian
    Rookiie said:

DNA3000 said:

Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

Hmm…

I know, sounds a bit extreme but these things happen sometimes. A null value where there shouldn’t be a null value can sometimes cause the API which is reading from the DB / table to return a 404 error / crash. What we would probably see is that indefinite loading icon. That’s my best guess.
    That was not a "I think you're exaggerating" hmm. That was a "you just reminded me of something" hmm.
  • Options
    Skyfaw said:

Rip on missing dust

I ended up doing a little too much

Maybe forty million more I would guess. Still, forty million more is a lot better than a couple million short. Enjoy that Dust.
  • Options
    Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

That's true, but the OP is an example of the tag being cast to a float, so there's clearly some sort of type interpretation happening behind the scenes
  • Options
    Ackbar67 said:

Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

That's true, but the OP is an example of the tag being cast to a float, so there's clearly some sort of type interpretation happening behind the scenes

I don’t think there is any interpretation going on behind the scenes. Just a UTF-8 encoding / decoding issue with decimal points. Check the links below:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68122865/string-ecoding-returns-wrong-values-33-48-becomes-33-47999999999999488

https://forums.swift.org/t/floating-point-precision-issue-when-decoding-json-value/54690
  • Options
    o_oo_o Posts: 834 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

… the only reasonable explanation is drugs.

That’s what I’m retaining from all this
  • Options
    Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

Rookiie said:

Ackbar67 said:

I don’t think there is any interpretation going on behind the scenes. Just a UTF-8 encoding / decoding issue with decimal points. Check the links below:

All of those are, in fact, type conversion errors, not text (UTF-8 or otherwise) encoding errors.

Since this has gone from being a joke to being a programming course, might as well go all in. For the benefit of everyone anyone still reading and might not understand what's going on here, and what the discussion is about, the issue here is how computers represent numbers, and just anything in general.

I'm going to quote the issue in the first linked StackOverflow article as an exemplar to explain the issue. The question in the article states:

"Here in myObjectValues contains a Decimal value of 33.48. If i try to encode this mydata to string, the value returned is 33.47999999999999488."

However, one of the respondents correctly points out that the person asking the question is wrong. myObjectValues does *not* contain a Decimal value of 33.48, because the explicit data type of myObjectValues is double. In other words, it is a 64-bit floating point number. Doubles are essentially binary notation numbers (with some exponent stuff not important here). How do you represent 33.48 *exactly* in binary? You can't, any more than you can represent 1/3 in decimal precisely. When you set a double precision variable in Swift to "33.48" the compiler has to round that number off to the closest possible value you can shove into a 64 bit float. And that value is, in Swift, apparently 33.47999999999999488. So when the code tries to convert this numeric value into a string, the string gets filled with the best possible representation of the actual value stored, which is "33.4799999999999948".

So of course that's likely to be what's happening here. Some part of the game code took the alliance tag, converted it to a number, then converted that number back into a string, and during the round trip the 2.800 got turned into 2.799999... and then to the expanded string. The question is why? Why convert the alliance tag into a number in the first place? It is just a bunch of characters. Most alliance tags can't be converted into a number. If the game tried to do that constantly, most of our alliance tags would show up broken in the leaderboard. So that's not what's happening.

What's more likely to be happening is the alliance tag is being read by a parser. A parser is what we typically call a bit of code that is used to read a bunch of data with a (possibly) unknown structure, and try to infer that structure from the contents of the data itself. So "ABCDE" gets converted into a string with the contents "ABCDE" in it, but "2.800" gets converted into a number with the value 2.8 within it. The code is guessing you meant the data to be a string of characters in the first case and a number in the second case. It is what Excel does by default when you type into an empty cell. Excel tries to figure out if you typed a number, or a word, or a date, or whatever.

But that's overkill for the alliance tag. The tag is always meant to be a sequence of one to five unicode characters. That tag should never be interpreted as anything other than a unicode string. So any code that reads it should just read the data and interpret that as a sequence of unicode characters and nothing else. By asking "I wonder what this might be" you get the results above.

So why go through all the trouble to do more work than necessary? Best guess, someone decided that rather than write whatever code was necessary to handle the alliance tag, they would grab some code that already did what they needed and reuse it. But whatever code they reused did more than what they needed: it not only could read and write and otherwise pass around unicode text, it could also parse the data looking for data other than text and handle it appropriately. This overkill then gets exposed when someone creates an alliance tag that precisely matches one of the things the parser is looking for.

To summarize, the "2.800" in the alliance tag is not a number. 2.800 is not a number in this context. It is a sequence of bytes representing unicode 2, unicode decimal, unicode 0, unicode 0, unicode 0. But the code used to read that data decided that in fact "unicode 2, unicode decimal, unicode 0, unicode 0, unicode 0" should be interpreted as the 64-bit float whose mantissa is 0110011001100110011001100110011001100110011001100110 and whose exponent is 10000000000. And then some other bit of code took that value and converted it to text for display, and ended up with 2.799999...
  • Options
    Grub88Grub88 Posts: 207 ★★
    I would have also liked some explanation of how decimals are represented in binary i.e. 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16

Maybe that would have broke the camels back though
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,742 Guardian
    Grub88 said:

I would have also liked some explanation of how decimals are represented in binary i.e. 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16

While DNA beat me to it, and I’m sure did a much better job that what I would.
    I’ll just add the following.

(except from prior DNA explanation…)
    myObjectValues does *not* contain a Decimal value of 33.48, because the explicit data type of myObjectValues is double. In other words, it is a 64-bit floating point number. Doubles are essentially binary notation numbers (with some exponent stuff not important here). How do you represent 33.48 *exactly* in binary? You can't, any more than you can represent 1/3 in decimal precisely.

So, @Grub88 basically wanted the (“with some exponent stuff not important here”) stuff, lol.

And (DNA can correct if I’m wrong), but think the referring to value type as “double” is not technically saying it is of the “Double” data type, but rather that the storage space used is the same as what would be taken up by a data type of “Double”. That being, a Floating Point number uses 64 bits, just like a Double would. Although a F.P. treats its 64 bits very differently that what a “Double” would.

Basically (without parsing the longer explanation in too much depth), those 64 bits are split between some # bits used for the “Mantissa” portion, and some # of bits used for the Exponent portion. (been too long since I’ve dealt with these, but you can easily look that up, to see the exact breakdown of those 64 bits for a F.P. Number.)
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,655 ★★★★
    Bro this thread has taught me more about programming than all of middle and high school 💀
  • Options
    edited March 5
    Grub88 said:

DNA already gave an excellent explanation, but if you're interested in learning more about it (and it is super cool), most computers and languages use the encoding specified by the IEEE 754 standard, there's a in depth Wikipedia article that goes through the details, and some of the special values. As a fun aside, the maximum value for gold in mcoc is 2^53 - 1, and the reason for that is hidden in the spec
  • Options
    Grub88Grub88 Posts: 207 ★★
    @DNA3000 did a great job, thanks to everyone else as well I wasn't specifically looking for the information myself, I have done this already at university, I was more being playful and adding to one of the most enjoyable threads I've been involved in on this forum.
  • Options

And (DNA can correct if I’m wrong), but think the referring to value type as “double” is not technically saying it is of the “Double” data type, but rather that the storage space used is the same as what would be taken up by a data type of “Double”. That being, a Floating Point number uses 64 bits, just like a Double would. Although a F.P. treats its 64 bits very differently that what a “Double” would.

In this case, I’m saying “double” to refer to double precision floating point representation, which (in this case) is 64 bit floating point. Single precision floating point, which is a thing, is 32 bits of data.

Most of this stuff was standardized at a time when 32-bit processors were the mainstream, and therefore 32-bits was the standard size of a binary “word.” 64 bit quantities were referred to as “double.” Double (binary) was 64 bit integers, and double float was 64 bit floating point representations. Increasingly, things have moved to 64 bit words as the native word size on modern CPUs, but the legacy lingo is still that 32 bit is single, 64 bit is double most of the time. However, there are platforms and languages where 64 bit quantities are the norm, and 64 bits isn’t “double.” In fact, the standard tries to move us away from that for this reason, we should be calling them fp32 and fp64 to be specific and platform independent. But old people like me are probably going to be calling those single and double floats until we die.

I would be remiss if at this point I don’t mention the x86 long double float, which is an 80 bit precision pseudo standard implemented in x86, which basically means almost everywhere. The idea was that since 64 bit processors can handle 64 bit quantities natively, a floating point number represented by 64 bits of mantissa and 16 bits of exponent would have more precision (64 bits instead of 52) without costing any more calculation time (kinda sorta, this gets into CPU architecture details, a completely different side track entirely).

Typing and representations is one of those things most programmers try not to think about too much, and try really hard to write code that doesn’t need to know about, but when it rears its ugly head it can make life all kinds of interesting if you are not careful.
  • Options
    Mr.0-8-4Mr.0-8-4 Posts: 467 ★★★
    I concur.... Irrevocably.

Ergo, concordantly.

Viza vi.

• Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,711 Guardian

Bro this thread has taught me more about programming than all of middle and high school 💀

I learned almost nothing about programming from high school and learned a ton in college. The most interesting topic is definitely floating point numbers and how those can *heck* you up if you don't understand how they work, especially when working with systems of equations.