Potential Delay to v44.1 Launch

We are currently working through some issues that may affect the release window of v44.1. This means that the update may not release on Monday as it usually does. We are working to resolve the issue holding us up as quickly as possible, but will keep you all updated, especially if the delay results in any changes to the content release schedule.
Options

Alliance Wars: the long-term nerf that nobody talks about

startropicsstartropics Posts: 573 ★★★★
tl;DR: great champs and big rankups don't really matter anymore because they're being soft-nerfed and made irrelevant in war on a long-term basis.

before battlegrounds was a thing, AW was the only game mode that let our champs shine. yes, pulling champs like star lord and stark spidey was important for labyrinth, and pre-nerf story mode definitely asked for firepower, but AW was the only repeating content that tested the limits of our rosters and the sole reason why many players chased champs and spent money on rankups (prestige champs don't count since they're just a number).

this takes us to where we are today. story content is easy, EQ and AQ don't matter, and everest content is still very rare, which leaves us with AW as the only mode where champions matter (we can treat BG and AW as the same for now).

niche AW globals and the blacklist system have de facto nerfed our best champions and we have no agency over war anymore.

1. we can't use most of our top champs.
2. they tell us who to use and who to rank
3. our rankups get banned
4. then we move on to the next global to repeat the process all over again and in the meantime our best champs sit on the bench

quick tangent. kabam is not shy about wanting the chance to nerf herc, and this thread isn't about him, but for the sake argument let's say they wanted to nerf him. hypothetically why can't they just make a custom tag for him and each season give him 90% reduced damage? well, they can because it's their game, but they won't because it's too obvious and know the community would see through it. they also have better ways of dealing with good champs through indirect nerfs, like what they're doing now, and it doesn't just affect herc but every other powerful champ in the game.

in comes globals and blacklists....

1. globals

globals are becoming more and more restrictive. it used to be that they gave an advantage, but weren't necessary like they are now. globals are so punishing that if we don't use a niche global attacker we die.

2. blacklists

this makes the niche problem even worse, especially in the second season of a global. the champs that we need and the champs that we just spent resources on are now banned, so we have to dig deeper.

3. whitelists

....also known as a long term rotating blacklist of the best champs. how can a whitelist be a blacklist? because what good is a whitelist if they're incompatible with the global anyway?

herc was whitelisted during decay where most of the defenders were mystics, placebos fed mystic dispersion, and his kit can't counter unstoppable. unusable. he was also whitelisted in the first season of magic thief. again, unusable.

who's going to be whitelisted in the upcoming second season of magic thief? ghost and scorp.

what good is ghost when each phase can give defenders 2, 3, 4, or 5 indestructibles?

what good is scorpion against skill defenders who shrug or get powered up by his debuffs? zemo, kingpin, killmonger, jabari, crossbones, agent venom, hitmonkey, and blade. not a coincidence that many of the cosmics have armor breaks that hard counter ghost.

the whitelist is marketed as pro-player but in effect it's a blacklist.

the way war is currently designed nerfs not just the typical top few best champs but most of them, and this gives the feeling that NONE of our great rankups matter anymore because they will always be playing second fiddle to average to slightly above average globals.

i want to use my favorite champs, so did when did mcoc become a contest of mediocrity?

niche globals are not always bad. we get to use champs we've never used before and there's some element of fun there, but our best champs that we work so hard to get (necropolis, offers) and rank ups (content, gifting, spring cleaning, july 4) are no longer legitimately usable and just sit there collecting dust, and it's a crummy feeling.

i have no clue how to balance a game that involves an ever-increasing number of champions and an ever-increasing complexity, but whatever this is, it doesn't feel good and it's obvious what's happening. open up the taps on the globals and let us use our favorite champions again, i can't be the only one that feels this way.

Comments

• Options
    Dab_westDab_west Posts: 125
    ghost can be defintely used against tactic defenders placed on hazard shift, literally just play her like a normal champ and dont phase. also herc was useable against the non tactic mystics in the decay meta and he was still sent to clear non tactic fights in high tier wars in this current meta and in lower tiers when the timer is longer, herc is a viable option to some tactic fights
  • Options
    PriyabrataPriyabrata Posts: 796 ★★★★
    I wasn't much into AW from the Beginning, it just seemed too time consuming to me, but somewhere in the middle I decided to quit the solo thing and joined an alliance, did occasional AW wasn't very fond of it, but after kabam introduced all these restrictions I ranked some viable options up but realised VERY quickly this cycle is not sustainable. I can't keep going around ranking all these niche champs every season. Immediately left my alliance and joined a chill one where most people are just retired or small accounts that just need that glory to push them forward.
    It feels better not being stressed to do rankups that I don't want at the drop of a hat, and take up champs that I actually enjoy playing
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,137 ★★★★★
    Whitelisting non tactic attackers never made sense to me. Like, if whitelisting exists really to give advantage to the player, why not whitelist a tactic attackers who is underrated but quite useful for many nodes, like prof x and gully deathless, or someone like that?
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,369 ★★★★★
    Down here in Tier 5 its been the emptiest off season for a long time.
    People don't want to play the mode because its just not fun.
  • Options
    Jez25Jez25 Posts: 42
    Maybe its time to stop playing and spending.. hurt their wallets and maybe they will stop being so arrogant and start listening again..
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,424 ★★★★★
    Jez25 said:

Maybe its time to stop playing and spending.. hurt their wallets and maybe they will stop being so arrogant and start listening again..

We nieche spenders and f2p can't hurt Kabam's wallet, just in few days, there's spring cleaning coming, Kabam will make money
    Then 3 months later, there's July-4th, Kabam will make BANK (which is very cool, make money but at least don't suck out the fun off gamemodes)

War went from challenging and hard but fun
    To
    Must rank THIS THAT THIS, super hard new defenders with tactics added on boss island nodes with champions blacklisted.

Kabam had to nerf x-magica tactics and a tactic before it as well, clearly shows that they are making content TOO tuned. (Only nerfs tactics after T-1 wars stops spending for potions)
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,150 ★★★★★
    Dab_west said:

ghost can be defintely used against tactic defenders placed on hazard shift, literally just play her like a normal champ and dont phase. also herc was useable against the non tactic mystics in the decay meta and he was still sent to clear non tactic fights in high tier wars in this current meta and in lower tiers when the timer is longer, herc is a viable option to some tactic fights

I feel you are missing the point
  • Options
    VaniteliaVanitelia Posts: 310 ★★★
    Appreciate the well thought out info. The whitelist/blacklist feature doesn't function the way it should. The champs that are banned by allies should not dictate who is blacklisted in the next season. They should be the ones that are whitelisted. This method will allow our rankups to matter within the current metas.

In the current state, it's conceivable that 2 champs can become unusable for an entire meta and that's not okay. Thinking about it, we should just have a whitelist and leave allies to choose their 3 bans. The 3 champs that get banned the most then become whitelisted and allies then can choose another 3 champs to ban at their own discretion each war in the following season.
  • Options
    with the changes to how metas are crafted, the idea of a blacklist/whitelist has definitely changed. Not a fan of the current system myself.
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 424 ★★★

Whitelisting non tactic attackers never made sense to me. Like, if whitelisting exists really to give advantage to the player, why not whitelist a tactic attackers who is underrated but quite useful for many nodes, like prof x and gully deathless, or someone like that?

Whitelisting isn't to provide advantage to players, it is just a flow through of targeted bans of popular options for the current tactic. Bishop is blacklisted because he was one of the favoured attackers last season. He will be whitelisted the season after as a consequence.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 670 ★★★★
    Planning the attack for this current meta has been nothing but exhausting, as well as planning the defense :tired_face: everything is so restrictive and combine the fact that 1 out of the 3 options for the path is banned, you need to find someone who has the other 2 options already ranked up
    I'm so done with these tactics bro :|
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    I've hated AW for years.
  • Options
    KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,416 ★★★★★
    Hard agree on the post.
    War, while frustrating in terms of dying and items, was always a mode that I found fun and could improve my skills. Now, it's just becoming a drag, especially to plan. By the second season of the meta, it's pretty much now 5 of the top tactic attackers getting banned and the tactics are so niche that it's pointless.
    Majority of the node interactions either aren't tested or they are not cared about. You barely have 1-2 counters to niche node placements and then those are banned and it's a struggle to get a half decent counter.
    On the other hand, you HAVE to rank up tactic attackers who then become half useless in war most meta's.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 487 ★★★
    edited April 17
    I don’t want to be “that guy” but this will be a testing time for the game, seeing as necropolis dropped almost 6 months ago and most of the endgame players have completely explored that and 8.4.

The next instalment of story and the next Everest content will be a long time coming and with the state of the pvp game modes being what they are, a lot of summoners are going to put this game down for good, I can see it now.

Raids isn’t what it could be, Battlegrounds is frustrating for anyone with a less than stellar roster to get into GC, and AW is too restrictive and rigid with its rules and tactics.

Special quests are hit and miss as they have always been, and AQ is a flat out snooze fest that many can’t even be bothered exploring or joining like they used to.
  • Options
    RebarkRebark Posts: 345 ★★★
    I had already noticed and discussed this with my friends.
    It's easier to make this system than changing the AW map.
    Honestly, of the 50 node points that we can place defenders on, more than half are completely useless and are diversity placements.
    I'm not saying that all fights should be difficult and kill you, but that it is extremely difficult and seems like a waste to put defenders in some fights.
    Imagine if every year they changed half the map: Think about the interaction of more than 250 champions with each new node, also taking into account the interaction of 2 new champions per month. If something is problematic, it's Kabam's fault. And in the end, after all this work to ensure that everything is working as it should, people would come in with Ghost, Hercules, Omega Red, Corvus and destroy the map without having to read the nodes.
    What's the problem with that? Well, Kabam had to spend a lot of time reformulating the AW map so that in the end, the same old solutions would destroy the map.
    This creates some problems that no one talks about:

1. A team works to create new champions. These champions will not be used in AW because there will always be dominant champions.
    2. The game mode becomes less attractive, with a smaller diversity of champions.
    3. The main thing: Few deaths and the weight of dying in a fight ends your day.

I have been playing in alliance master for over 3 years. I don't like what AW has become now. But I see that Kabam is trying to find a balance to please the community and so that the mode doesn't become abandoned and repetitive.
    What I could suggest:
    1. Globals should last 3 or 4 seasons instead of 2.
    2. New Champions should be introduced into globals at the end of each season, both in defense and attack. This would make the investment in a particular champion worthwhile, the whitelist would return to working as it was before. People who want to compete at the highest level would continue to invest in new champions at the end of each season.
  • Options
    GarloGarlo Posts: 202 ★★
    I think the whitelist currently doesn't work with the latest restrictive defensive tactics. Why would I want to have Ghost available if I can't use her effectively against the defensive tactic? It doesn't make sense to me.

Another example, Bishop was banned in most wars last season, and he'll continue to be banned this season due to the blacklist. In S50, when the defensive tactic change, he'll be available. But why?

I think an (unpopular) idea that could address this issue could be to extend the duration of defensive tactics from two seasons to three. This way, when the third season with the defensive tactic arrives, we'll be able to use our top champions from the attack tactic.
  • Options
    Emilia90Emilia90 Posts: 1,900 ★★★★★

I don’t want to be “that guy” but this will be a testing time for the game, seeing as necropolis dropped almost 6 months ago and most of the endgame players have completely explored that and 8.4.

The next instalment of story and the next Everest content will be a long time coming and with the state of the pvp game modes being what they are, a lot of summoners are going to put this game down for good, I can see it now.

Raids isn’t what it could be, Battlegrounds is frustrating for anyone with a less than stellar roster to get into GC, and AW is too restrictive and rigid with its rules and tactics.

Special quests are hit and miss as they have always been, and AQ is a flat out snooze fest that many can’t even be bothered exploring or joining like they used to.

People have been waffling on about how people will quit for years and the game is still going strong. 8.4 was fun and we still have more WoW and deathless chases coming
  • Options
    i know i'm right that war has become a contest of mediocrity where mid champs will always have the spotlight over our better ones, but maybe i'm wrong on some things. maybe if they let us use whoever, we find out that really niche globals are the guardrails that keep AW from derailing?

there are so many good attackers over the years that maybe making most of them unusable each meta is the only way war is possible now?

if we had the freedom to pick any 3 of these for example, wouldn't the whole system break?

scorpion
    torch
    silk
    og hulk
    titania

nick fury
    valkyrie
    kate bishop
    kingpin

archangel
    omega red
    bishop
    kitty pryde

herc
    cgr
    hulkling
    galan

nimrod
    ghost

doom
    tigra
    abs man
    juggernaut
    chavez

kit for kit these guys even run through destroyers, bullseyes, onslaughts, and everything else in the game. for every kate bishop that's allowed to roam free, maybe they have to make 2-3 unique 5/5 defenders just to make up for it?

can we have a dev explain how the sausage gets made? collectively, do the "great" attackers cover too much ground that makes a free-for-all no longer possible?

if that's the case, how do we put value back in the great champs because they're not seeing any play these days and are just trophies collecting dust at this point.
  • Options
    kabam, i love ya, and i love omega and the omega event, but what good is a 7r3 200 omega red or heck even 10* if he's practically unusable in everything except questing?

why would players spend 60k units on this greatest of all time champ if they're told they can only bring their icemans, saurons, dragonmans, and storm-x to the only competitive mode in the game??

https://playcontestofchampions.com/news/omega-days/
  • Options
    Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,839 ★★★★★
    I came for the popcorns and stayed for the spitted truth