Options

Thoughts on Spider Punk ?

I'm just curious of everyone's opinion on Spider Punk. I got lucky enough to pull the 7* yesterday. I've been doing some testing with him and he seems a bit disappointing. He has some very cool animations, sweet utility, but the damage seems to be extremely lacking. Especially unawakened. I know kabam has him a 4.5/5 on damage but I'm just not seeing it.. Did anyone else here get lucky enough to pull the 6* or 7* ? If so, what is your first impressions ?

Comments

• Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    I mean, I purchased the Valiant offer, so I was guaranteed a 6* which I’d already planned to r5, max sig, and ascend.

With that in mind, I think he’s been great with what I’ve tested so far. Threw a r2 s2099 relic on him and went to town. It’s nice having what appears to be a full-intercept proof champion.
  • Options
    IIDarknessIIIIDarknessII Posts: 10
    Yeah, it seems the awakened ability is almost needed. I'll probably just let the 7* sit on the shelf and invest in the 6*. I saved a r4/r5 and dust for him from 8.4. I was just interested to see what others thought.
  • Options
    VaniteliaVanitelia Posts: 316 ★★★
    The race to get off your SP1 after an Sp2 isn't fun. When everything lines up, his damage is nice. I only have him at sig 80 and haven't ascended yet. Fun to play though. I'll have to give it more time before passing judgment though.
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,820 ★★★★★
    Damage is lacking af
    Let @Masterpuff tell you more he’s got a R5
  • Options
    Vegeta9001Vegeta9001 Posts: 1,364 ★★★★
    His specials upset my phone sometimes and make it close the app. But it's a rarity, other than that, a rupture immunity is nice, he is decent nothing special, imo at least
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,243 ★★★★
    edited April 17
    He’s a control god when awakened, probably one of the best if not the best power controller in the science class

https://youtu.be/OgNPtCFBgoI?si=EKkXDfh4XnpaJFs_
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,510 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

He’s a control god when awakened, probably one of the best if not the best power controller in the science class

Damn, he killed that 200k hp Jane Foster with basic attacks only, I don't get how people are saying his damage is lacking lol but we'll see
  • Options

EdisonLaw said:

Damn, he killed that 200k hp Jane Foster with basic attacks only, I don't get how people are saying his damage is lacking lol but we'll see
    It's the awakened ability that makes a massive difference. Give you the power control (Encore) also giving you more ruptures for the Sp1 burst. So it seems you're better off max sig 6 for now even if you pull the 7*.
  • Options
    edited April 17

EdisonLaw said:

It's the awakened ability that makes a massive difference. Give you the power control (Encore) also giving you more ruptures for the Sp1 burst. So it seems you're better off max sig 6 for now even if you pull the 7*.
    Oh yeah definitely 6* sig 200 > 7* unawakened or low sig. I mean 7* will hit hard but you really want those extra ruptures I think.
    Just surprised people are saying his damage is bad, he looks horrible for long fights sure but BGs? Completely immune to basic attack intercepts from the stupid AI lmao and he can handle 200k health looks with a single sp2, sp1 would've been overkill in Nick136's video and he was using a 6*. I don't know seems kinda crazy for BGs to me, and I have a feeling he's going to be a very solid Onslaught counter cause of the intercepting thing.
  • Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    edited April 17

EdisonLaw said:

I don't know seems kinda crazy for BGs to me, and I have a feeling he's going to be a very solid Onslaught counter cause of the intercepting thing.
    That’s one of the exact reasons I wanted him in my deck now. Assisted evades/intercepts are awesome, and at least I’m not at a class disadvantage now like I’d be were I to use Kate, Bullseye, Elsa
  • Options

EdisonLaw said:

Oh yeah definitely 6* sig 200 > 7* unawakened or low sig. I mean 7* will hit hard but you really want those extra ruptures I think.
    Just surprised people are saying his damage is bad, he looks horrible for long fights sure but BGs? Completely immune to basic attack intercepts from the stupid AI lmao and he can handle 200k health looks with a single sp2, sp1 would've been overkill in Nick136's video and he was using a 6*. I don't know seems kinda crazy for BGs to me, and I have a feeling he's going to be a very solid Onslaught counter cause of the intercepting thing.
    Yeah , I'm gonna test out the 7* in BGs before I commit to the 6*. Long form definitely isn't the best testing spot. Getting 2min or more RoL fights with the unawakened 7*. The intercept utility alone is worth the investment imo.
  • Options
    Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Posts: 1,012 ★★★★

From my testing of an ascended r5 sig200 spider punk:

The dmg isn't lacking imo, just hard to access sometimes. The sp1 burst scaling off of the rupture duration (remaining) is a very odd choice.

The ideal rotation for bg matchups (200k-300k health) is to use sp2 and then sp1 asap. If the opponents delays it/ you aren't able to throw it off immediately, the dmg fall off is too punishing (does as low as 6k per burst even with 4-5 ruptures at 300 crowd; if done immediately after sp2, he does around 25k per burst with the same build up).

In my opinion, if you aren't able to launch sp1 immediately following an sp2, it is better to build to another sp2 and try again. Letting the ruptures tick instead of consuming them for a minor burst is the play. Sp2->Sp1 will be faster for bgs if you can pull it off, however for healthpools over that (story/eq/sq), the sp2->sp2 is just as fast and i'd say even more consistent.

Let me just revise the numbers a bit, as low as 14k at 300 crowd (that 6k figure in the previous comment was probably at lower crowd charges).

Also, realised that letting the sp2 ruptures tick does the same amount as the sp1 burst; just a bit slower, over a few seconds instead of the instant burst.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,243 ★★★★

The dmg isn't lacking imo, just hard to access sometimes. The sp1 burst scaling off of the rupture duration (remaining) is a very odd choice.

The ideal rotation for bg matchups (200k-300k health) is to use sp2 and then sp1 asap. If the opponents delays it/ you aren't able to throw it off immediately, the dmg fall off is too punishing (does as low as 6k per burst even with 4-5 ruptures at 300 crowd; if done immediately after sp2, he does around 25k per burst with the same build up).

In my opinion, if you aren't able to launch sp1 immediately following an sp2, it is better to build to another sp2 and try again. Letting the ruptures tick instead of consuming them for a minor burst is the play. Sp2->Sp1 will be faster for bgs if you can pull it off, however for healthpools over that (story/eq/sq), the sp2->sp2 is just as fast and i'd say even more consistent.

This is really helpful. I'm grinding his arena tomorrow probably
  • Options

Let me just revise the numbers a bit, as low as 14k at 300 crowd (that 6k figure in the previous comment was probably at lower crowd charges).

Also, realised that letting the sp2 ruptures tick does the same amount as the sp1 burst; just a bit slower, over a few seconds instead of the instant burst.
    Thanks for the Info. Think it's pretty clear the 6* is the way to for me currently.
  • Options

EdisonLaw said:

I don't know seems kinda crazy for BGs to me, and I have a feeling he's going to be a very solid Onslaught counter cause of the intercepting thing.
    That’s one of the exact reasons I wanted him in my deck now. Assisted evades/intercepts are awesome, and at least I’m not at a class disadvantage now like I’d be were I to use Kate, Bullseye, Elsa
    Yeah Spunk has really caught my attention, I'm gonna go hard on that featured when it comes out and he's going straight to sig 200 immediately. The power control and safety nets are some of the best in the game, I had no idea the evade intercept was basically active indefinitely that's going to be so useful for defenders like Onslaught and FAM who require you to intercept a lot. Also, his damage is not bad at all for BGs, sp2 sp1 is very respectable speed imo.
  • Options
    psp742psp742 Posts: 2,342 ★★★★

I pull 7* Spunk from my 3rd Guitar solo crystal.. rest were so so..

Anyways, as noted by most.. he needs awaken and relative higher sig level.. not sure how his sig scale since Auntm.ai hasn't been updated in a while.. I guess mod Duckslug is very busy with his time (the website is just a labor of love) hope he doesn't get bored of the game and stops updating.

As paragon, I got 5* Spunk and it just luck to get 7* champion.. both Prowler and Spunk seem fun but who do you think is better without awaken ability..