Options

Considering returning to the game. What changes should I be aware of from the last two years?

Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,547 ★★★★★
After playing mcoc very consistently from 2020 to summer of 2022, I decided to take a break. I'm considering re-entering the contest, and to make that decision, I wanted to know what major things have changed in the last two years. I know 7 stars now exist, but that's about it. I can post a roster picture if anyone would like to give me suggestions. Basically, what new things should I be aware of?

Comments

• Options
    Ragnarok13Ragnarok13 Posts: 54
    Read a lot
  • Options
    JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 852 ★★★
    Honestly, I’d look at what champs have come out since you quit and watch Jason Voorhees breakdown videos. It’s a lot, but it’ll get you up to speed in depth. Beside that just watch whoever is playing your favorite game modes.
  • Options
    Here’s my roster. I’ve got a fair amount of unleveled 5*s, but I assumed those wouldn’t be too helpful to include.

• Options
    jdschwjdschw Posts: 205 ★★
    I still find this game to be a fun way to pass the time with a challenging game loop.

OP, I think I started around when you stopped. Kabam has released a lot of powerful new champs in the last 2 years, so you'll have new ones to learn about. Also, act 8 is quite a lot of fun. If you want to jump back in, my advice is to push on the main story and get yourself up through the title ranks to reach Valiant. The store deals and free crystals are much better with this title, and they will allow you to make progress in other areas of the game quickly, and also fill out your roster faster.
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,101 ★★★★

• Options
    WhiteKnightWhiteKnight Posts: 270 ★★★
    To be fair, jump in asap, spend a few units and get yourself some 7* champs and you'll rail road content in no time.

A 7* r1 is more powerful than any champ you have or could have had back in 2022 so it'll make all story content a breeze
  • Options
    laserjohn26laserjohn26 Posts: 1,517 ★★★★★
    It's a bad time. You can't even log into the game.
  • Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,545 ★★★★
    The game is all about progression levels now, so you will want to pick up whereever you left off in the story quests and smash through as much as you're able to.

The current Omega Event should give you a lot of champion pulls which will help a lot with your progression. It's possibly worth spending SOME units on progressing a bit further, but check out the milestones and gauge how far you can go carefully.

As you get new champs that you're unfamiliar with, check out videos on them to see if they're going to fill a need in your roster, but you've got some pretty amazing 6* champs so you're good for a while. Also some previously meh champs have been significantly buffed and are pretty great now - Iron Man in particular.

Act 6 was nerfed quite a lot so it's a lot more doable now, but the Grandmaster is still a challenge for a lot of people so take the time to watch the guides and just work your way through it.
  • Options
    @PantherusNZ and @WhiteKnight If I were to spend units to try to get a 7* and buff my roster, where do you suggest doing that? Are there particular deals that are worth it?
  • Options
    Also, to anyone else who reads this, what 6*s that I don’t have ranked up should I look into? I remember who was good 2 years ago but have no idea people’s utility and worth after updates
  • Options
    PantherusNZPantherusNZ Posts: 1,545 ★★★★
    Will3808 said:

@PantherusNZ and @WhiteKnight If I were to spend units to try to get a 7* and buff my roster, where do you suggest doing that? Are there particular deals that are worth it?

I wouldn't go hunting a 7*, you're as likely to get nothing or a relatively dud one as you are to pull an account-changing one. Later Story quests give you lots of crystal shards etc so you'll get them in due course. The current Omega event, however, is potentially worth spending SOME Units (1-3k maybe) to get some crystals, and you might get lucky. Even if you don't, you should pull plenty of ISO to help with rankups.
    Will3808 said:

Also, to anyone else who reads this, what 6*s that I don’t have ranked up should I look into? I remember who was good 2 years ago but have no idea people’s utility and worth after updates

I picked out the following from your screenshots of champs who are considered very good and worth paying attention to.

Bishop
    The Hood
    Iron Man
    Howard the Duck
    Domino
    Gamora
    Human Torch
    Ghost
    ArchAngel
    Hit-Monkey
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Long Shot
    Moleman
    Venom
    Mr Sinister
    Red Hulk
    Masacre
  • Options
    baskinrobbinsknowsbaskinrobbinsknows Posts: 267 ★★★
    Honestly man, I don't even recommend this game to new players because there are so many complex champions to fight against that just aren't fun, let alone someone who already has some experience with the game. Keep in mind this is well before you have any nodes that come in addition to them. Last year alone, we were introduced to champions like Future Ant Man, Kindred, Maestro, Onslaught, and Photon just to name a few. If you go against them blind, you're not likely to have a good time. By all means, do what you want with your time, but just know that you'll need to do a lot of research before hand. Best of luck to you
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,326 ★★★★
    1. Onslaught
    2. Battlegrounds
    3. Necropolis
    4. 7 star champs and stat focus
    5. Relics
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,326 ★★★★
    Also many champions have been buffed such as Iron man, Red Guardian, Luke Cage, Nightcrawler and Mr Sinister
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,374 ★★★

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,799 Guardian
    Will3808 said:

After playing mcoc very consistently from 2020 to summer of 2022, I decided to take a break. I'm considering re-entering the contest, and to make that decision, I wanted to know what major things have changed in the last two years. I know 7 stars now exist, but that's about it. I can post a roster picture if anyone would like to give me suggestions. Basically, what new things should I be aware of?

Probably the biggest recent change was to progression requirements. https://playcontestofchampions.com/news/alternate-progression-paths/. Basically, there are now alternate ways to reach certain higher progression titles that involve having a lot more rank ups in lieu of completing the required content. For example, Cavalier originally required completing Act 6.1. The new alternative is to have five 6* champs at rank 3 or higher. The idea is that in the current game roster progress now happens much faster than content progress in some cases, and players can “out level” content with very strong rosters before having the time to complete it all. This allows players who have very well developed rosters to jump to higher progressions before completing the content, to take advantage of the rewards of higher progression tiers.

The major change to game modes was the introduction of Battlegrounds, shortly before you left. Battlegrounds is a 1v1 PvP game mode where players compete against each other. Opinions vary, but for the most part the rewards in BG are pretty good, and the mode rewards players who have extensive rosters and rank up for the mode. I would say it is the single biggest change to the game since launch in terms of encouraging players to rank up their roster.

We now have mastery profiles: https://playcontestofchampions.com/news/mastery-loadouts/. You can set up multiple mastery configurations and switch between them for lower cost. On top of that, AW Defense can have its own dedicated mastery configuration that is always used separate from the one the player is currently using and that costs nothing to use (separate from the costs to set it up in the first place).

Content is now following a multiple-month theme package called Sagas: https://playcontestofchampions.com/news/introducing-sagas/. Basically, these are themes that connect the content from those months that temporarily buff or enhance a set of champions, and contain content designed to promote those champs.

You might also hear about the Deathless champs. These are basically endgame chase targets for special 6* and 7* champs that require a lot of activity and participation in many different game modes to collect tokens to buy them, culminating in a not-released-yet finale that will require using them to collect a fifth and final Deathless champ. Since you’re returning now, you’ve more or less missed the first two: Deathless Guillotine and Deathless King Groot. The chase for the next one just launched: Deathless Vision. Whether you choose to try to get the one that are left is a choice for you to make. Both Deathless champs so far have been pretty good, but not game-breakingly awesome. Just a heads up, as I’m sure you’ll run into talk about them.

There is now an external web store for MCOC: https://store.playcontestofchampions.com/. The offers there tend to mirror the ones in-game for the most part, but not completely, and offers there are often better in some respects than the ones in-game (due to the fact that Kabam gets a better cut of the revenue from the web store than the app stores’ 70% return). There are also free crystals that are given away on that store, a daily one tuned to progression and a weekly one. You need a Kabam ID and password to access the web store. The free crystals, especially at higher progressions, are definitely worth snagging if you can.

Very recently, Kabam launched the official MCOC Discord server: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/363632/introducing-the-official-marvel-contest-of-champions-discord-server

• Options
    Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 785 ★★★
    stay away from Battlegrounds . Focus on story quest and reach paragon and valiant asap