**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

BG scoring

WhiteKnightWhiteKnight Posts: 345 ★★★

In any other game mode, timing out is a loss... so how is it these guys win when they can't even get the defender down? Surely, getting the kill with decent ammount of health is better than timing out...

Personally think there should be some KO bonus points or something

Comments

• Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 3,165 ★★★★★
    Your health is worth 15k points
    Enemy health is worth 30k points
    Time is worth 15k points.

• Options
    edited May 22
    Lokx said:

In any other game mode, timing out is a loss... so how is it these guys win when they can't even get the defender down? Surely, getting the kill with decent ammount of health is better than timing out...

Personally think there should be some KO bonus points or something

I mean there is a KO bonuse. You got 30k points while your opponent only got 27. Secondly you need to think about it like this. If there was 1 min added to the timer. Your opponent would be able to defeat the opponent with more health remaining.
    If there was an extra minute I'd also have 5k more points and won both matches 🤷
  • Options
    PT_99 said:

Your health is worth 15k points
    Enemy health is worth 30k points
    Time is worth 15k points.

Time is worth 10k got reduced for reasons like this.... maybe health should be dropped to 10k too so the value comes from actually winning the fight 😵‍💫
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 5,598 ★★★★★
    Well because you can almost nuke anyone in bg with herc at 1% health, while the opponent have to lose due to timeout despite having their attacker at 90%+ health
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 11,317 Guardian

..so how is it these guys win when they can't even get the defender down?

It's not that they COULDN'T beat your defender.
    It's that they would have needed just a little more time than the arbitrary time limit given.

What if Time were limited to just 15 seconds.
    Whomever can do the most damage within that time.
  • Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,279 ★★★★★

Report the account and hope for the best.

Nice alt account and troll
  • Options
    obsidiman said:

I shot 7/10 from 2 point range in basketball and my opponent shot 5/10 from 3 point range, yet I lost. Shouldn't I get a bonus for having a better shooting % and get the win?

At least you made the shot... this guy couldn't he missed 🤷‍♂️
  • Options

..so how is it these guys win when they can't even get the defender down?

It's not that they COULDN'T beat your defender.
    It's that they would have needed just a little more time than the arbitrary time limit given.

What if Time were limited to just 15 seconds.
    Whomever can do the most damage within that time.
    No no, he couldn't get my defender down into he time, this isnt a 'do as much damage in the time' we're not playing raids... this is kill the defender as quick as possible with as much health, he couldn't kill the defender so he failed
  • Options
    SkyfawSkyfaw Posts: 194 ★★
    Why do you expect to win when playing poorly? Don’t get hit and win next time.
  • Options
    Crys23Crys23 Posts: 780 ★★★★
    I think time should get bumped up to 12k points. 2minutes, 120seconds. So I think 12k makes more sense than 10k.
    15k yes was too much, but 10k is not enough when compared to health
  • Options
    Skyfaw said:

In what world is killing the opponent playing bad? 🤣
  • Options
    SkyfawSkyfaw Posts: 194 ★★

Skyfaw said:

In what world is killing the opponent playing bad? 🤣
    This world 🌎. How long you visiting stranger. You got a hit a bunch it’s not all about taking down the defender, finishing at a high health total is just as important.
  • Options
    IamnikeIamnike Posts: 252 ★★
    I agree if you finish the fight and the other person doesnt you should win the round.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,996 Guardian

I hashed this out with the devs long ago, with more or less the same perspective. The reason why scoring works the way it does is because the explicit intent is for BG to work differently than how content works elsewhere in the game, in order to allow BG metas to be more flexible. If it was all about killing the defender period, then that would place extremely high value on suicide burst attackers.

But also, timing out is not actually always a "loss." Consider AQ. What's better: ending the fight at 50% health with the defender at 5% health and timing out, or ending the fight with 1% health and the defender dead? Actually, the former is better. You lose half health due to the time out penalty and will start again at 25% health with the defender at 5% health. That's almost certainly an easy win. On the other hand, killing the defender but being left with 1% health is almost certainly going to result in you dying in the very next fight unless you're Hercing an entire path. You stand a good chance or either losing that attacker, being forced to use a revive, or being forced to use health potions to heal them back up. The timeout situation is far better for the player overall.

"Getting the kill with a decent amount of health" is a vague statement. We can't program the game servers to give you the win when you end the fight with a decent amount of health.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

I hashed this out with the devs long ago, with more or less the same perspective. The reason why scoring works the way it does is because the explicit intent is for BG to work differently than how content works elsewhere in the game, in order to allow BG metas to be more flexible. If it was all about killing the defender period, then that would place extremely high value on suicide burst attackers.

But also, timing out is not actually always a "loss." Consider AQ. What's better: ending the fight at 50% health with the defender at 5% health and timing out, or ending the fight with 1% health and the defender dead? Actually, the former is better. You lose half health due to the time out penalty and will start again at 25% health with the defender at 5% health. That's almost certainly an easy win. On the other hand, killing the defender but being left with 1% health is almost certainly going to result in you dying in the very next fight unless you're Hercing an entire path. You stand a good chance or either losing that attacker, being forced to use a revive, or being forced to use health potions to heal them back up. The timeout situation is far better for the player overall.

"Getting the kill with a decent amount of health" is a vague statement. We can't program the game servers to give you the win when you end the fight with a decent amount of health.
    I see the whole keeping it different to other game modes etc but I feel the entire premise of drafting and facing off real people live does this; meaning the mechanic of getting the kill being most important doesn't need tampering with.

And nothing needs to be programmed to give the win, simply adjust the scoring as was done with time, drop health down to 10k, or even 12k and time 12k, simply makes the 30k defender health the biggest factor and gives the win for being able to take down the defender rather than slow playing and chipping away their health slowly 🤷
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,996 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

I see the whole keeping it different to other game modes etc but I feel the entire premise of drafting and facing off real people live does this; meaning the mechanic of getting the kill being most important doesn't need tampering with.

And nothing needs to be programmed to give the win, simply adjust the scoring as was done with time, drop health down to 10k, or even 12k and time 12k, simply makes the 30k defender health the biggest factor and gives the win for being able to take down the defender rather than slow playing and chipping away their health slowly 🤷
    The devs feel differently.

And to be fair, in this one specific regard the devs are not alone. There are just as many BG competitors that agree with the devs when it comes to scoring than disagree. When this was debated long ago on the CCP server, as far as I could tell there were equal numbers of players on both sides. But while there was disagreement about what was best, the vast overwhelming majority of players I''ve seen are willing to accept the scoring as is, and feel it is at least reasonable even if it would not be their first choice.

When it comes to game design, that's no small accomplishment.