Deep Dive: Patriot

2»

Comments

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,422 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

So he’ll counter photon and be an alright defender. He seems too slow on attack for matchups that aren’t ideal. Idk I can live without him.

He seems like he’ll be good for other matchups because he can self inflict debuffs for attack. He’s also sustainable like KP but actually reduces inequity so he seems like he’ll be a good attacker imo
    Maybe. Im not sold on speed yet, everything else seems solid. I think we’ll have to just get our hands on him and test him for bgs healthpools so I can make a more fair judgement.
    Keep in mind that Hulk in the rotation must've been about 570k health or somewhere around that number. Sp1 sp2 sp1 is actually really good for a healthpool that big, if that was a 300k r3 Hulk in BGs or something that sp2 would've probably been overkill.
    There’s a few things to realize though:

1: Yes that was a big ihulk, but keep in mind that was also a very big patriot. 38k pi is not typical for a 7* r2 skill champ even with class advantage. My guess is that’s a rank 3 sig 20. Maybe it’s an r2 if he’s high sig but I don’t think that’s the case. A fully maxed out 6* is not gonna look as good as this, and it looks like the 7* will ideally want to be duped which is not the easiest thing to do.

2: Class advantage is helping out with the damage in that fight. I think he’s gonna be good vs science champs especially ones that can ramp him faster, but in a vanilla matchup I don’t see anything special.

3: He has to build to at least 7 resolve but ideally more for this rotation to work. Without a champ who ramps him faster than normal he won’t be able to skip the sp1 straight to sp2, as he won’t have enough charges for the retaliate knockdown thingy I forgot the name of. He also got to almost an sp3 against ihulk after using the sp1. So he basically built 4 bars of power before the damage payoff rather than the 3 it takes for most other attackers.

I don’t think he’s bad but I don’t think he’s great. My best comparison is that he’s like a skill negasonic, punishing science champs and hard countering the top science defenders, but outside of that won’t have much use in bgs specifically. I don’t think he’ll be fast enough nuke photons in one sp2 unless he has rank advantage. He’ll probably need an additional sp1 against even ranks.

I think he’ll be quite nice for aw with that steadfast and constant regen. He also might be the new safest photon counter in the game, and will be valuable in somewhat less competitive tiers of bgs where you can afford to be a little bit slower for the sake of being safe. Not a bad champ at all imo, he’ll have his place in the meta, but I don’t think he’s the attacker that redeems the previous 2024 attackers.
    Does he actually hard counter most of the hard science defenders beside Photon? He's terrible for Void because of the amount of debuffs he stacks on himself, he isn't poison immune so can't deal with Ibom, He doesn't have cleanse so cannot counter Jessica that well, etc. Negasonic actually does counter every single skill champ you can think of.
    No one places void on defense anymore and Ibom isn’t relevant as a defender either. Photon is easily the most meta science champ as a defender
    Yeah her and Jessica are the most meta science defenders for now at least
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,419 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

So he’ll counter photon and be an alright defender. He seems too slow on attack for matchups that aren’t ideal. Idk I can live without him.

He seems like he’ll be good for other matchups because he can self inflict debuffs for attack. He’s also sustainable like KP but actually reduces inequity so he seems like he’ll be a good attacker imo
    Maybe. Im not sold on speed yet, everything else seems solid. I think we’ll have to just get our hands on him and test him for bgs healthpools so I can make a more fair judgement.
    Keep in mind that Hulk in the rotation must've been about 570k health or somewhere around that number. Sp1 sp2 sp1 is actually really good for a healthpool that big, if that was a 300k r3 Hulk in BGs or something that sp2 would've probably been overkill.

1: Yes that was a big ihulk, but keep in mind that was also a very big patriot. 38k pi is not typical for a 7* r2 skill champ even with class advantage. My guess is that’s a rank 3 sig 20. Maybe it’s an r2 if he’s high sig but I don’t think that’s the case. A fully maxed out 6* is not gonna look as good as this, and it looks like the 7* will ideally want to be duped which is not the easiest thing to do.

2: Class advantage is helping out with the damage in that fight. I think he’s gonna be good vs science champs especially ones that can ramp him faster, but in a vanilla matchup I don’t see anything special.

3: He has to build to at least 7 resolve but ideally more for this rotation to work. Without a champ who ramps him faster than normal he won’t be able to skip the sp1 straight to sp2, as he won’t have enough charges for the retaliate knockdown thingy I forgot the name of. He also got to almost an sp3 against ihulk after using the sp1. So he basically built 4 bars of power before the damage payoff rather than the 3 it takes for most other attackers.

I don’t think he’s bad but I don’t think he’s great. My best comparison is that he’s like a skill negasonic, punishing science champs and hard countering the top science defenders, but outside of that won’t have much use in bgs specifically. I don’t think he’ll be fast enough nuke photons in one sp2 unless he has rank advantage. He’ll probably need an additional sp1 against even ranks.

I think he’ll be quite nice for aw with that steadfast and constant regen. He also might be the new safest photon counter in the game, and will be valuable in somewhat less competitive tiers of bgs where you can afford to be a little bit slower for the sake of being safe. Not a bad champ at all imo, he’ll have his place in the meta, but I don’t think he’s the attacker that redeems the previous 2024 attackers.
    Yeah that was definitely a r3, but again that's not bad for such a big healthpool, and 75% of it was already gone when he finished sp2. Let's just do some Math here, let's say the healthpool was about 570k (although it most likely was close to 600k since it is a Hulk), 70% of his health was gone after sp2, this means after a single sp1 sp2 rotation he dealt 430k damage as a r3 with class advantage, that is 100% overkill even against a r3 healthpool in BGs. Now, let's assume that was a 6* r6 sig 200 with no class advantage you're probably still looking at 280k-300k damage at the very least. I strongly disagree with what you've said here about him being like Negasonic, the damage is on another level compared to Negasonic.

He won't be CGR or Sunspot speed and that's fine, he hard counters one of the hardest defenders in the game. He will however be able to kill most defenders in a single sp1 sp2 rotation which takes 40 seconds on average. That is very good and definitely not like Negasonic who takes 55 seconds on average against same rank defenders.

As for the four bars, he only did that cause it was a long fight with a big healthpool, I'm willing to bet he won't need that many debuffs on him for BGs sized healthpools. This is exactly why I said they gave him the Silk treatment, they showcased the rotation for a massive healthpool which can make damage for shorter fights seem lackluster but if you analyze and take everything into account you will realize it's actually really good.

Emilia90 said:

Yeah that was definitely a r3, but again that's not bad for such a big healthpool, and 75% of it was already gone when he finished sp2. Let's just do some Math here, let's say the healthpool was about 570k (although it most likely was close to 600k since it is a Hulk), 70% of his health was gone after sp2, this means after a single sp1 sp2 rotation he dealt 430k damage as a r3 with class advantage, that is 100% overkill even against a r3 healthpool in BGs. Now, let's assume that was a 6* r6 sig 200 with no class advantage you're probably still looking at 280k-300k damage at the very least. I strongly disagree with what you've said here about him being like Negasonic, the damage is on another level compared to Negasonic.

He won't be CGR or Sunspot speed and that's fine, he hard counters one of the hardest defenders in the game. He will however be able to kill most defenders in a single sp1 sp2 rotation which takes 40 seconds on average. That is very good and definitely not like Negasonic who takes 55 seconds on average against same rank defenders.

As for the four bars, he only did that cause it was a long fight with a big healthpool, I'm willing to bet he won't need that many debuffs on him for BGs sized healthpools. This is exactly why I said they gave him the Silk treatment, they showcased the rotation for a massive healthpool which can make damage for shorter fights seem lackluster but if you analyze and take everything into account you will realize it's actually really good.
    Wait I made a mistake it was 70% not 75% (don't wanna edit this cause it'll get sent to the abyss as per usual). The damage was 400k not 430k, still overkill though.
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Member Posts: 2,734 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

Negasonic actually does counter every single skill champ you can think of.
    Night Thrasher 💀
    Yeah but Negasonic turns off true accuracy from skill champs correct?

He's immune to incinerate

EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

Night Thrasher 💀

He's immune to incinerate
    Yeah but Night Thrasher isn't even a hard defender
    Also let's talk about the reversal.

So I asked DLL during his stream, and he said that it doesn't count as an autoblock, so effects like true accuracy or undermine doesn't counter it; what are your thoughts?
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,239 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

I went and watched the fight again, and one thing I noticed is that he was already down to 60% before he threw the sp2. I’m not sure if that’s because his basic attacks did so much or because he did so many hits before throwing the sp2 because he waited too long to throw it. Probably some combination of the 2, but the basic damage looked fairly solid.

Atp I think we just need to see the actual damage in action in bgs, if he can do fights in sp1 sp2 without class advantage and rank advantage then I’ll definitely be a lot more positive towards him.

Emilia90 said:

I went and watched the fight again, and one thing I noticed is that he was already down to 60% before he threw the sp2. I’m not sure if that’s because his basic attacks did so much or because he did so many hits before throwing the sp2 because he waited too long to throw it. Probably some combination of the 2, but the basic damage looked fairly solid.

Atp I think we just need to see the actual damage in action in bgs, if he can do fights in sp1 sp2 without class advantage and rank advantage then I’ll definitely be a lot more positive towards him.
    In standard matchups without many debuffs I think sp1 and sp2 will be the way to go

Emilia90 said:

Might've been a combination of the two, fair enough though. I do think we should wait before we give our final thoughts but I also think it looks very promising unlike every other new release this year.
    EdisonLaw said:

So I asked DLL during his stream, and he said that it doesn't count as an autoblock, so effects like true accuracy or undermine doesn't counter it; what are your thoughts?

I've no idea how we'll be able to counter that, I want to read his abilities myself before I start thinking about a way. The deep dives are always very confusing for me for some reason.
    EdisonLaw said:

In DLL’s video on patriot he said the reversal is a brand new mechanic that does not have a counter. They’re testing it on a less annoying defender (patriot) to give us time to get used to the mechanic before they add it on a new meta defender.

EdisonLaw said:

In DLL’s video on patriot he said the reversal is a brand new mechanic that does not have a counter. They’re testing it on a less annoying defender (patriot) to give us time to get used to the mechanic before they add it on a new meta defender.
    Oh and also you can dex the projectile that the reversal shoots at you so it’s not just take a guaranteed hit.

EdisonLaw said:

Oh and also you can dex the projectile that the reversal shoots at you so it’s not just take a guaranteed hit.
    Yes DLL said it can be evaded and blocked as well.
    edited July 7
    My review is coming soon (after I get him from arena of course)
  • BendyBendy Member Posts: 5,939 ★★★★★
    Seems we can view him on website now and hes giving kate a really nice synergy of intercepting pauses trick arrows and resets after every heavy
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,139 ★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

Night Thrasher 💀

Yeah but she also would get literally no damage boost beyond her basic attacks

EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

Emilia90 said:

Night Thrasher 💀

Yeah but she also would get literally no damage boost beyond her basic attacks
    She has a synergy to turn incinerates into ruptures if immune so she would still counter incinerate immune skills
    Bendy said:

Seems we can view him on website now and hes giving kate a really nice synergy of intercepting pauses trick arrows and resets after every heavy

That’s gonna be super useful, also considering they said Patriot will be good for long form content as well
    EdisonLaw said:

Bendy said:

That’s gonna be super useful, also considering they said Patriot will be good for long form content as well
    It would also make kate easier to keep her trick arrows on say u need to wait on the evade u can intercept with a medium use her stun and knockdown to refresh its gonna be a lot easier to play her