Don't get these top level players crying about Serpent

Comments

• Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,195 ★★★★★
    I never quite get this argument. If top players are complaining that should if anything be a tell for how overtuned serpent is. If top players were asking for a challenge, that means they were asking for something to test their skills. What skill is serpent testing? As AllisonEdits said in her video, Serpent’s design is “use x for y.” Vega tried to compare serpent to korg, but korg is entirely skill based who is made much easier with a counter. Serpent is not manageable in any way if you don’t have a counter. He’s far closer to bullseye than korg, except he has far less counters than both.
  • DarknessFallsDarknessFalls Member Posts: 162 ★★
    Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Zuro said:

I have fought Serpent many times and I can tell you he's a terror on defense even with counters

And I agree. I haven't been able to solo him consistently. not everything has to be a solo. As long as that don't start adding serpent in regular paths. I don't see an issue.
    Let me introduce you to something called battlegrounds
    Well let me introduce to an option in battleground called, ban, and we have 3. Are you telling me, ppl don't wanna ban a champion they have so much difficulty against. Not even 1 spot our of 3?
    If your best solution for a defender so broken that he stalls the fight for 60+ seconds even against his best counters is to just ban him, the champ is an issue. This argument is always so silly
    I have seen ppl soloing him and getting amazing scores as well and with time, we will get more counter, you think enchantress won't be and issue down a line, just wait and watch what happens with her, then we also have deathless Thanos coming, they are getting next level defenders, so whatever they are cooking let's see. Why can't we focus on buffing champions instead of nerfs.
    Please show me an amazing score in BG against him that’s not from a meta that directly makes mystics better. I’ve seen top level players punch down with a r3 to a r5A and still take 80 seconds because he’s just so broken. He has no counters right now, he can fail neutralize too. If you get lucky it’s a 55-60 second fight which is still awful
    Based on your take, we should reduce the battleground time to 1 min. Since all attackers should be able to take fights in 50-60 seconds.

Saw many videos from content creators on Youtube. Even saw Luke Cage taking serpent down.

I would stand with you on Nerf if we had more than 3 defenders like serpent and they include in normal quest as well regularly.
  • Steam97Steam97 Member Posts: 146 ★★

Emilia90 said:

Zuro said:

I have fought Serpent many times and I can tell you he's a terror on defense even with counters

And I agree. I haven't been able to solo him consistently. not everything has to be a solo. As long as that don't start adding serpent in regular paths. I don't see an issue.
    Well let me introduce to an option in battleground called, ban, and we have 3. Are you telling me, ppl don't wanna ban a champion they have so much difficulty against. Not even 1 spot our of 3?
    If your best solution for a defender so broken that he stalls the fight for 60+ seconds even against his best counters is to just ban him, the champ is an issue. This argument is always so silly
    I have seen ppl soloing him and getting amazing scores as well and with time, we will get more counter, you think enchantress won't be and issue down a line, just wait and watch what happens with her, then we also have deathless Thanos coming, they are getting next level defenders, so whatever they are cooking let's see. Why can't we focus on buffing champions instead of nerfs.
    Because they literally aren't buffing any new champions lol, destroyer and ironheart definitely would have used a small buff. Destroyer ramp up is so slow and ironheart damage is a bit underwhelming
    EdisonLaw said:

Dude he's already one hellish defender with undexable specials, insane power gain (and by insane, I mean really insane!), and so much block damage. Imagine him on any node where u can't block his specials, or he has an unblockable buff or passive(in any general quest), what will u do? Forget that, remember the invade node, where block penetrations of both the attacker and defender are increased by 300%, how will I survive even a single special? Imagine him with those nodes and on top of that, power axis, or enhanced power gain/energize, will u even be able to hit him in between his specials? U guys saying that he will be getting counters so no need nerfing him have clearly not understood other player's POV. Don't get me wrong but I'm assuming 90% of those players are P2W players, so they can probably get that champion from opening couple of crystals or buying the early access bundles. If the quest node gives him immunity to power alteration(which is very common nowadays) or empyreal defense(if u don't know, this node is made to make 90% of mystic attackers useless), how will u counter him. Not always can u have a Kushala on your team, because the quest nodes moght be restricting, or maybe she might get banned in bgs, so what are u even supposed to do in long fights. The person who said that not every fight is supposed to be solo, either he's P2W, or he's having tons of expiring revives, or hasn't fought serpent much. In the boss island in aw, serpent takes the place of rich get richer, or enhanced power gain/buffet/masochism(power gain) or aspect of chaos(whatever the name is, where when defender gains a bar of power, they gain many boosts for rest of fight), extinction protocol(enhanced combat power rate for rest of the fight when gaining a bar of power), will u even survive throughout that fight. To the guy who said not every fight has to be a solo, enter a quest and play using unnecessary counters, and then complete the entire quest with 20 deaths, i am waiting here for your response on that topic. I haven't even mentioned other such nodes where he can be a nightmare. Before u even counter his power gain, he's already used 2 specials, which ain't no joke. So widen your thoughts and speak up for the entire community like I did. Whoever now comments that they are ready to get new counters rather than getting him nerfed, cheers, coz you aren't supposed to be here then. Kabam is 'happy' with his current state, but the only point is that it shall be us who should be happy with the game and its state, not them. Hope my argument has made the sense which some of us had probably lost.

Bans for BGs with those nodes , and common sense that kabam will introduce more champs that can block unblockable attacks and evade serpent specials , people is overreacting to a defender that requires skills to play against and forgetting that every month we got 2 new champions , those counters are definitely coming
    Skill as in not being able to dex undexable specials? Not being able to deal with ridiculous power gain once he gets death immunity? Not being able to nuke him quickly under 50 seconds?

I don’t think that is a skill issue or aspect in fighting him
    I didn't knew that was basic requirement in the game that any defender should get nuked in 50 seconds.

Can we petition to get the match time to 1 min in battleground.

EdisonLaw said:

Dude he's already one hellish defender with undexable specials, insane power gain (and by insane, I mean really insane!), and so much block damage. Imagine him on any node where u can't block his specials, or he has an unblockable buff or passive(in any general quest), what will u do? Forget that, remember the invade node, where block penetrations of both the attacker and defender are increased by 300%, how will I survive even a single special? Imagine him with those nodes and on top of that, power axis, or enhanced power gain/energize, will u even be able to hit him in between his specials? U guys saying that he will be getting counters so no need nerfing him have clearly not understood other player's POV. Don't get me wrong but I'm assuming 90% of those players are P2W players, so they can probably get that champion from opening couple of crystals or buying the early access bundles. If the quest node gives him immunity to power alteration(which is very common nowadays) or empyreal defense(if u don't know, this node is made to make 90% of mystic attackers useless), how will u counter him. Not always can u have a Kushala on your team, because the quest nodes moght be restricting, or maybe she might get banned in bgs, so what are u even supposed to do in long fights. The person who said that not every fight is supposed to be solo, either he's P2W, or he's having tons of expiring revives, or hasn't fought serpent much. In the boss island in aw, serpent takes the place of rich get richer, or enhanced power gain/buffet/masochism(power gain) or aspect of chaos(whatever the name is, where when defender gains a bar of power, they gain many boosts for rest of fight), extinction protocol(enhanced combat power rate for rest of the fight when gaining a bar of power), will u even survive throughout that fight. To the guy who said not every fight has to be a solo, enter a quest and play using unnecessary counters, and then complete the entire quest with 20 deaths, i am waiting here for your response on that topic. I haven't even mentioned other such nodes where he can be a nightmare. Before u even counter his power gain, he's already used 2 specials, which ain't no joke. So widen your thoughts and speak up for the entire community like I did. Whoever now comments that they are ready to get new counters rather than getting him nerfed, cheers, coz you aren't supposed to be here then. Kabam is 'happy' with his current state, but the only point is that it shall be us who should be happy with the game and its state, not them. Hope my argument has made the sense which some of us had probably lost.

Bans for BGs with those nodes , and common sense that kabam will introduce more champs that can block unblockable attacks and evade serpent specials , people is overreacting to a defender that requires skills to play against and forgetting that every month we got 2 new champions , those counters are definitely coming
    Skill as in not being able to dex undexable specials? Not being able to deal with ridiculous power gain once he gets death immunity? Not being able to nuke him quickly under 50 seconds?

U can parry the specials ,that requires skill ,
    You can save energy and the relic to keep him busy during the Immortality also requires skills
    Not being able to nuke him , so you want to nuke him in 30 seconds but you don't want to have a challenging fight , I call that skill issue

Y'all want boring defenders and busted attackers , never been so happy for kabam not caring about players opinions
    The “skill issue” argument about serpent immediately falls apart when you realize that top players like trappy, lagacy, nagase, swedeah, and others all call him overtuned. Are you really gonna say they have a skill issue?
    Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

You can save energy and the relic to keep him busy during the Immortality also requires skills
    Not being able to nuke him , so you want to nuke him in 30 seconds but you don't want to have a challenging fight , I call that skill issue

Y'all want boring defenders and busted attackers , never been so happy for kabam not caring about players opinions
    What a horrible take. He’s a busted defender. He’s not like any of the others before him, and he’s the only one who can stall even his best counters so long. What if he doesn’t throw specials? He’ll still stall for 12 seconds guaranteed at the end. Lmao yeah totally a skill issue that no champ in the game can take him in a sufficient time. What a joke
    Just ban him until you have counter and are ready to take him.You don't have to suffer. All this frustration just because you wanna fight serpent that desperately. Why ?
  • MethodMan69MethodMan69 Member Posts: 256 ★★
    Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

What a horrible take. He’s a busted defender. He’s not like any of the others before him, and he’s the only one who can stall even his best counters so long. What if he doesn’t throw specials? He’ll still stall for 12 seconds guaranteed at the end. Lmao yeah totally a skill issue that no champ in the game can take him in a sufficient time. What a joke
    Yeah y'all definitely want boring defenders, I hope kabam keep sending champs like serpent more and more so y'all can find new champs to hate , why y'all so worried about finishing him under a minute , should be focused on just staying healthy is not impossible y'all just lazy , why learn something new and get better at that if we can just complain until is nerfed .
  • Steam97Steam97 Member Posts: 146 ★★

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Just ban him until you have counter and are ready to take him.You don't have to suffer. All this frustration just because you wanna fight serpent that desperately. Why ?
    I'd suggest raising to 4 bans in bg then if people are forced to lock a ban for serpent, what do u think?

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Yeah y'all definitely want boring defenders, I hope kabam keep sending champs like serpent more and more so y'all can find new champs to hate , why y'all so worried about finishing him under a minute , should be focused on just staying healthy is not impossible y'all just lazy , why learn something new and get better at that if we can just complain until is nerfed .
    No offense but I can tell you don’t play battlegrounds at even a semi-competitive level if you don’t see the issue with being unable to take down serpent in a minute consistently.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

No offense but I can tell you don’t play battlegrounds at even a semi-competitive level if you don’t see the issue with being unable to take down serpent in a minute consistently.
    There's a feat called ban you can pick 3 champs and you won't have to fight those champs

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

There's a feat called ban you can pick 3 champs and you won't have to fight those champs
    I explained why that’s a bad argument 5 posts above this one.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Ever heard about strategy? Or do you always places a defender that can get nuked in 30 seconds when you're opponent places serpent?
    Like you're talking about competitive gameplay but you seen clueless

EdisonLaw said:

The “skill issue” argument about serpent immediately falls apart when you realize that top players like trappy, lagacy, nagase, swedeah, and others all call him overtuned. Are you really gonna say they have a skill issue?
    So they can't have a challenge where they struggle. That's stupid take. Don't these guys keep telling how everything is very easy. Easy solo this, easy solo that.

Now you have a challenge, you can't complain.
  • NüΚΞNüΚΞ Member Posts: 223 ★★★

Actually in the context of war, Serpent is miles easier than bullseye, especially on boss nodes.

Serpent is easier than most defenders imo, in war.

Only in bgs, He is tough, as there are like only 20 champs who can actually kill him before time out, and none of them do it in less than 60 sec and more than 90% health, unless you play perfect, and even when using counters you are still in a gamble.

But yeah, it is funny to see top players losing their minds once, haha, But their reason is as valid as yours, if not more.

Yeah that’s it. Node combinations in BG (maybe not victory track) but GC can make him a nightmare. End game long form content with serpent bosses would be a revive sink. He is a cosmic champ with a ton of base kit counters to mystic class.

I can kill serpent all day in war solo or one revive. This isn’t a war issue. It’s a extremely OP base kit.
  • jcphillips7jcphillips7 Member Posts: 1,390 ★★★★

EdisonLaw said:

So they can't have a challenge where they struggle. That's stupid take. Don't these guys keep telling how everything is very easy. Easy solo this, easy solo that.

If we're in a cage match and you have a bat, the other guy has a chair, another guy has a knife, and then I have a Glock well....there's a challenge, and then there's unbalanced scales.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Ever heard about strategy? Or do you always places a defender that can get nuked in 30 seconds when you're opponent places serpent?
    If you’re so well versed in strategy why don’t you realize how serpent goes against that? Strategy against serpent is getting lucky to draft a counter, and getting lucky that your neutralize doesn’t fail if you want him dead in under 50s. He actively punishes skill, as you can beat opponents with far more skill than you be drafting and placing serpent cuz they got screwed without a counter. Please tell us how you’d use you skill against serpent if you don’t have a counter, as you act like we’re all missing some secret skilled mechanic.
    @DarknessFalls have to tag you since quoting your post keeps getting my responses sent to the forum abyss but anyway

EdisonLaw said:

Obviously you didn’t read my post from the top of this page. Top players want something to test their skills, that’s the reason they’re top players after all. So tell me what skill does serpent make you learn?
  • Graves_3Graves_3 Member Posts: 1,422 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

If you’re so well versed in strategy why don’t you realize how serpent goes against that? Strategy against serpent is getting lucky to draft a counter, and getting lucky that your neutralize doesn’t fail if you want him dead in under 50s. He actively punishes skill, as you can beat opponents with far more skill than you be drafting and placing serpent cuz they got screwed without a counter. Please tell us how you’d use you skill against serpent if you don’t have a counter, as you act like we’re all missing some secret skilled mechanic.
    Why is everybody focused on 50 seconds? Looks like you all want nuke meta in BG. There are 4 scenarios in BG:
    If you also have serpent and both you and opponent draft him then place him on defense same time as your opponent- no stress of time now and whoever can handle him better wins

You have serpent and opponent doesn’t then enjoy the win

Both don’t have serpent-what are you worried about?

If opponent drafts serpent and you don’t and you don’t have a counter or a tough defender to place then use strategy to lose this round but also make opponent use their good attacker. You still have 2 more matches you can win. If you can’t win 2-1 then accept opponent was better and move on.
    Graves_3 said:

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Why is everybody focused on 50 seconds? Looks like you all want nuke meta in BG. There are 4 scenarios in BG:
    If you also have serpent and both you and opponent draft him then place him on defense same time as your opponent- no stress of time now and whoever can handle him better wins

If opponent drafts serpent and you don’t and you don’t have a counter or a tough defender to place then use strategy to lose this round but also make opponent use their good attacker. You still have 2 more matches you can win. If you can’t win 2-1 then accept opponent was better and move on.
    50 seconds in the number picked because that’s looked at as the fastest time you can take down serpent in on a clean fight. It has nothing to do with wanting nuke metas. If there are tough nodes then everyone will be slowed, but the 50s mark is what’s listed as the peak time to take down serpent in a generic, basic meta. As if there were no nodes just increased health.

The problem with the 4 possible scenarios is what’s the factor that decides which of those scenarios happen? It’s rng. No skill, just straight draft and crystal pull rng. There’s a reason celestial players complain about serpent, because he decides rounds which decides matches, and the main thing controlling that is rng. Rng that you pull him in the first place, rng that you draft him, rng that your opponent doesn’t draft him, rng that you get a good counter for him. Rng that your neutralize doesn’t fail if the counter you selected was a neutralize champ. I don’t understand how you don’t see this level of rng as a problem in a competitive game mode.
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,378 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

Emilia90 said:

Zuro said:

Please show me an amazing score in BG against him that’s not from a meta that directly makes mystics better. I’ve seen top level players punch down with a r3 to a r5A and still take 80 seconds because he’s just so broken. He has no counters right now, he can fail neutralize too. If you get lucky it’s a 55-60 second fight which is still awful
    Based on your take, we should reduce the battleground time to 1 min. Since all attackers should be able to take fights in 50-60 seconds.

Saw many videos from content creators on Youtube. Even saw Luke Cage taking serpent down.

I would stand with you on Nerf if we had more than 3 defenders like serpent and they include in normal quest as well regularly.
    The fact that there aren't any other defenders like him is what makes him busted. If you draft him your opponent is more than likely going to lose that round purely because of time, even Bullseye can get taken down in 45 with the right counters. Nobody here is asking for Serpent to be a noodle you can nuke in 30 but the fact that every single champ has to waste 60-70 secs to take him down is dumb.

This without even taking into account actual nodes that break him even further like the extended buff one from last season which gave him 20 seconds of regen and power gain instead of 8. If you don't see how any of this makes him busted I can't help you there, sounds like more of a common sense issue.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

This bot keeps talking about skills and competitive gameplay but forgets 80% of the people pushing for a nerf are also top BGs players who are probably better than him (two of them were in the tournament in Vancouver lmao).
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,498 ★★★★★

My issue however is a very different one
    They're not buffing champs that need it, and they're leaving someone like serpent COMPLETELY UNALTERED but they nerfed bullseye for some reason . What even is the criteria for nerfing a champ?? Was bullseye a harder defender than serpent?

They aren't buffing champions that are performing as they want them to. Ironheart and Destroyer are absolutely fine as they are
    Ironhheart is decent. Not sure why all the hate.
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 283 ★★★
    Jesus what is going on in this thread. People don’t care all that much about Serpent in war because yeah if you have 5 whole minutes to kill him you can afford to take it slow with a safe reliable counter. I’ve taken many a r3 7* Serpent in war with 0-1 deaths, it’s not a big deal. People don’t care on its own that Serpent can’t be nuked; champs like Sasquatch are similarly difficult to take down sub minute with even the best counters but literally no one thinks the furry Canuck needs a nerf because again nuking isn’t a mandatory requirement to champ design. We just think that maybe this level of tankiness doesn’t need to be on a champion with not only so many safeguards against killing him fast but also so many ways to kill you for the slightest mistake or, just as often, no real fault of your own.

There is no skill in fighting him. You can’t play around power gain unless the AI is feeling really generous; you just need good buff control (which won’t even prevent his inexorable). You can’t play around his resistance up or his crit penetration reduction or his burst damage resistance; you bring one of the very few champs who don’t care about it or, more likely, fight through it with a champ that very much cares. You can’t play around his death immunity and it’s ridiculous power gain; if you don’t want the guaranteed 8 second stall that can lead to a sp3, you gotta hedge your bets on neutralize or some other AAR working or use one of like 4 champs who can reliably bypass it, most of which (Claire, Kindred, Enchantress) probably can’t even do enough damage in 2 minutes to trigger the death immunity, let alone prevent it. Serpent absolutely demands RPG counters full stop to kill him in a reasonable manner, and very specific ones that simply won’t answer his full toolkit.

He just does too much. We have a wide variety of defenders, good challenging and fair ones. Ones who stall the clock, ones who threaten damage if you don’t play well, ones who demand counters in the draft, ones who simply require careful execution. Some check multiple of these boxes like Red Skull or Bullseye. Serpent checks all of them and he’s the undisputed best in most of those categories. It’s ludicrous that the only one that’s up for debate is the “careful execution” point because while he does require measured play it’s really just as much out of your control whether he throws specials when you need him to or gives you the chance to push him back to the wall. It doesn’t matter if he’s balanced elsewhere because battlegrounds is a flagship and very important gamemode and Kabam can’t simply cut their losses and decide that it’s okay if champs are busted in one of the major gamemodes.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

This bot keeps talking about skills and competitive gameplay but forgets 80% of the people pushing for a nerf are also top BGs players who are probably better than him (two of them were in the tournament in Vancouver lmao).
    So what? New challenge there are multiple work arounds and its same for everyone.

And if we really are going by skill, then let's bring MSD in the chat as well, haven't seen him complaining?

There is always a higher skill ceiling.

Graves_3 said:

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

50 seconds in the number picked because that’s looked at as the fastest time you can take down serpent in on a clean fight. It has nothing to do with wanting nuke metas. If there are tough nodes then everyone will be slowed, but the 50s mark is what’s listed as the peak time to take down serpent in a generic, basic meta. As if there were no nodes just increased health.

The problem with the 4 possible scenarios is what’s the factor that decides which of those scenarios happen? It’s rng. No skill, just straight draft and crystal pull rng. There’s a reason celestial players complain about serpent, because he decides rounds which decides matches, and the main thing controlling that is rng. Rng that you pull him in the first place, rng that you draft him, rng that your opponent doesn’t draft him, rng that you get a good counter for him. Rng that your neutralize doesn’t fail if the counter you selected was a neutralize champ. I don’t understand how you don’t see this level of rng as a problem in a competitive game mode.
    Sry if I couldn't read all your comment and respond accordingly, it's due to the thread getting flooded with too many comments and I was too busy at work.

Even missed the kabam livestream.

All I will say is keep an open might there are multiple way around, we can have the game goto next level now. Cause if we keep getting generic defenders. The game will only lose the player based and not grow. Since most ppl will have champions which already do the job.

Hopefully this might get us magic and quake as 6 star down the line.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

So what? New challenge there are multiple work arounds and its same for everyone.

And if we really are going by skill, then let's bring MSD in the chat as well, haven't seen him complaining?

I haven’t heard msd “complain” but I’m 80% sure I heard him say in one of his livestreams that serpent is too much. And again, msd isn’t the only high skill player. Trappy, lagacy, nagase, swedeah, kt1, etc. all agree that’s he’s very much so overtuned.

Graves_3 said:

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Sry if I couldn't read all your comment and respond accordingly, it's due to the thread getting flooded with too many comments and I was too busy at work.

Even missed the kabam livestream.

All I will say is keep an open might there are multiple way around, we can have the game goto next level now. Cause if we keep getting generic defenders. The game will only lose the player based and not grow. Since most ppl will have champions which already do the job.

Hopefully this might get us magic and quake as 6 star down the line.
    Understandable about missing that post, but I would encourage gathering all the information before making a claim whenever possible.

I understand the logic of wanting new challenges in the game through defenders, but so many people act like we haven’t had that. Was the back to back introduction of kindred, photon, maestro, onslaught, and bullseye not enough? I don’t understand why people act like serpent in his current state is a necessity for the game. The goal of having new challenges could be accomplished with serpent tuned at a balanced level, and it already was accomplished before the introduction of serpent due to all the defenders in the past anyway.

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

What work arounds? Pausing at 1% or straight up permabanning him like last season? Cause those were the only work arounds that worked consistently, if you weren't playing in Gold 3 you probably would've known this.

MSD never grinds BGs like Trappy Lagacy Nagase or any of the other top BGs players asking for the nerf, you really don't know what you're talking about lmao.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,057 ★★★★★

Emilia90 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Yep. You clearly don’t have a clue what’s being discussed.