Initial Thoughts On Jack O' Lantern

NONYABIZZNONYABIZZ Member Posts: 574 ★★★

As the name title suggests,
What are your initial thoughts on Jack.
Do you see him being more than an Onslaught counter?

Comments

• BigTuna_2054BigTuna_2054 Member Posts: 108 ★★
    edited October 22
    JackOLantern is lit! He’s nuts! No criticals so destroys Mr Sinister, tons of damaging debuffs, SP2 damage like Shathra, doesn’t take damage from debuffs when blocking specials like Onslaughts neutotoxins, applies cowardice and gains tons of precisions. Immune to incinerate. He delivers incinerate and poison damage BUT he applies plasma against mutants. His damaging debuffs scale with his critical damage rating so when you add criminal damage rating stat focus he is even stronger. He’s also Immune to reverse controls. He can also parry non contact champs. He might even be better attacker than Nefaria and best 2024 champ of year in my short testing. But I’m excited about him!!!
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,360 ★★★★★
    He’s got very solid nuke potential. One sp2 from an r3 does a tremendous amount of damage, and is likely enough to close out most BG fights.

I got super lucky and pulled him off of my first Black-ISO market 300 unit crystal, and he’s very satisfying to play, took him to r2.
  • FrydayFryday Member Posts: 1,079 ★★★★
    My initial thoughts was:-

1) Man I miss Jax (but also glad we have Kabam Pinwheel, he been great so far)

2) Well I guess Iron Heart will stay at R1 now.

3) Give him a Hovercraft and we essentially ourself Hobgoblin.

😂
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 7,148 ★★★★★
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMgEXjJZG0&t=81s

He seems to be more than just an Onslaught counter
    Wicket329 said:

He’s got very solid nuke potential. One sp2 from an r3 does a tremendous amount of damage, and is likely enough to close out most BG fights.

I got super lucky and pulled him off of my first Black-ISO market 300 unit crystal, and he’s very satisfying to play, took him to r2.

Who else can he take besides Onslaught?
    edited October 22
    Wicket329 said:

EdisonLaw said:

Wicket329 said:

Who else can he take besides Onslaught?
    Any mutant who isn’t poison immune, anybody else who isn’t incinerate or poison immune. Either immunity will limit his damage output, incinerate much more so.

Reverse controls immunity is nice but extremely niche. Incinerate immunity, like any DoT immunity, is good. But my favorite pieces of utility on him are non-crits and the ability to parry non-contact attacks. Also, if you’re able to play exceptionally aggressively, the Sentinel relic can pause his short duration sp2 incinerates for some serious bonus damage. Won’t happen most of the time, but it’s very fun when you can manage it.

There's also this phrase. Which means, can he take Bullseye?
  • Mrmr13Mrmr13 Member Posts: 11
    Does his instant incinerates from CRIT count as a debuff for the purpose of aw tactic?

He's a tactic attacker but doesn't much many debuffs until SP2 which will take more than 15 hits to get to
    Mrmr13 said:

Does his instant incinerates from CRIT count as a debuff for the purpose of aw tactic?

He's a tactic attacker but doesn't much many debuffs until SP2 which will take more than 15 hits to get to

I don't think so as it's an instant incinerate. If you wanna use him in war, gotta bring along someone like Mr Fantastic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3FwnkgQj0

Cool video here. Plus he did mention one flaw with Jack's kit, and its that his inflamed passives aren't immune to ability accuracy modification so Domino can still crit fail him
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,360 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Mrmr13 said:

I don't think so as it's an instant incinerate. If you wanna use him in war, gotta bring along someone like Mr Fantastic
    You are correct that the instants don’t count towards tactic. I would recommend running resonate as the alternative solution. It’s expensive if you don’t have it unlocked, but it addresses the problem for every debuff-light tactic attacker for this meta, and will be of use next BG season.
  • JackTheSnackJackTheSnack Member Posts: 410 ★★
    He looks cool. And he’s an onslaught counter
  • FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Member Posts: 2,030 ★★★★
    I'm happy enough with him being an Onslaught counter. His damage is decent as well, which is always a great bonus
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,353 ★★★
    Obviously like great as an onslaught counter rn but I think his value will only go up. He's deceptively simple but it seems like he has lasting utility
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,966 ★★★★★

I know he’s built to be the ultimate Onslaught counter but he also destroys Dust, Mr. Sinister, and Havok as well. He does just fine against Domino (will take crit failure damage) but can finish fight fast. The fact he can parry non contact champs like Onslaught, Negasonic, Shuri, Ebony Maw, etc is a nice utility. He can also avoid taking damage while blocking against champs like Werewolf, Onslaught, etc. I don’t know what’s not to like about him. It is obvious he was designed for Battlegrounds attack and I can’t wait to try him out once this GC meta is done. My one gripe would be that he has zero defensive value. I mean it’s bad, lol. My comparison of him would be a Tech version of Negasonic with better damage and survivability with the intent to target mutant champs instead of skill like Negasonic. His great utility allows him to take other fights as well. I don’t agree with the Patriot comparison some YouTubers threw out cause he can definitely do more than just one targeted fight well. Of course all my opinion at the moment. Until he’s viable in new BG meta we won’t know for sure. But I’d be shocked if he isn’t really good tech option.

You don't wanna use him against havok trust me. But I believe he is still usable against bishop actually.
    edited October 24
    I still say let’s wait till next BG meta before we really grade this guy. I’ve been wrong before but I think he’s going to be better than people think.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,887 ★★★★★
    I like his animations.

I like his animations.

He's basically what Green Goblin should've been
  • mbracembrace Member Posts: 892 ★★★
    He’s taking down Onslaught, Dust, Sinister, Havok, Domino, Weapon X, and Bishop pretty easily. His SP2 is a massive nuke, and his animations are cool. What more could you ask for?

Also, the 7* seems a lot better than the 6* because of crit rating (enhanced by stat focus).
  • mbracembrace Member Posts: 892 ★★★
    edited October 24

You don't wanna use him against havok trust me. But I believe he is still usable against bishop actually.

Not true. When the plasma detonates, you get 15 stacks of inflamed passives, making Jack almost immune to the detonations via energy resists.

edited October 25
    @mbrace i didn’t say that. That was someone responding to my comment. I really like him and think he’s really good. I have him so I know he can take Havok.

@mbrace i didn’t say that. That was someone responding to my comment. I really like him and think he’s really good. I have him so I know he can take Havok.

Is he good vs Bishop
    edited October 25
    @EdisonLaw he worked well against the bishop in the mutant lane in the Jack’s bounty hunt.

He is by far my favorite Dust counter now besides the obvious Onslaught matchup he was made for. And Dust is in most decks and is a problematic defender.
  • Jaymix79Jaymix79 Member Posts: 249 ★★★
    I see Jack was updated with the Saga tag.
    Jaymix79 said:

is he Tactic?
  • Jaymix79Jaymix79 Member Posts: 249 ★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Jaymix79 said:

is he Tactic?
    He has Secutor tag now

• MizuriNicoleMizuriNicole Member Posts: 165 ★★
    to be fair...Tech Class kinda lacked a Nuke Champ...