**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Serious question for legit, 5-star Winter Soldier players: R3 worthy?

Comments

• PalanthraxPalanthrax Posts: 918 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    My advice, for what it's worth, is to take him to 3/45 if you really like him, as it sounds that you do, but I would under no circumstances use a skill awakening gem on him. Nor would I take him to rank 4 unless my T2As were literally going to expire.

Up until October last year, I only had one decent 5* champ, that was my duped Storm, who I actually took up to rank 4 and never regretted it. Everything else was trash.

A spontaneous attempt at Blade's featured crystal completely transformed my account overnight when I got him, I also used the skill awakening gem that I'd gotten from 5.3 (I think it was). All of a sudden, with that pull, my luck changed and over the next few months I had a bunch of amazing pulls.

Before I got Blade, I contemplated awakening Black Panther with the skill gem. Imagine if I had, and how I would have felt when I pulled Blade.

What I'm saying is, you think it will never happen, but everyone's luck comes in eventually - it's a mathematical probability. When it does, you want to be ready. You want to have the gem to awaken them, the T2As to take them to rank 4, and you don't want to regret using those resources on a champ that is good but in no way game-changing.

So for me, rank 3, no awakening. Personally, if it was my roster, I'd lean towards Guillotine as her damage output is better, she's a sustainable champ with the life steal, plus the heal reversal on her SP2 is going to become more and more invaluable with the emergence of nodes like Masochism and regeneration champs such as Mephisto.

I hope this helps a little, all the best.
  • I had him at R4 but recently took him down to R3 with the recent rank down gem. I really like him, but he’s behind several other skill champs.

If you’re looking at doing harder content there’s really not much difference between a 5* at R3 and a 4* at 5/50. The R3 will have slightly more health and attack etc. but they’ll both have a challenger rating of 100 which (I think) means that their crit rate, block proficiency, perfect block etc. are identical.

In fact when I was doing MODOK’s lab I ended up dropping my R4 WS entirely as my 5/50 Gwenpool was more effective.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,544 ★★★★★
    I have my 5* WS at R3 and I’ve never regretted it. As the posts here say, he’s solid and reliable—not outstanding in any one area, but very good in a lot of them. He also benefits from some decent synergies with Cap and others. WS was one of my first 5* pulls from well before his most recent changes, and while I haven’t relied heavily on him, I’ve used him often.

It sounds like your 5* roster has been cursed a bit, and I understand that. I’ve had some decent pulls, but every time it seems like I’m about to go on a hot streak, I get the inevitable Groot dupe or Iron Men or Magneto or VP or other T4b arena fodder champ who isn’t worth a T1a. It’s important not to rank or awaken out of desperation, but it’s also important to enjoy what is supposed to be a “game.”

I’ve also had a Skill AG since the 12.0 debacle. I haven’t used it on him—even though he’s the first and only skill 5* I’ve pulled. Not that I haven’t considered it, but I always thought I was bound to pull a second skill 5* who would benefit from it more (and by saying that, I’m sure I’ve now cursed myself with a run of NFDD and Karnak and Falcon pulls). Also, since the power drain is erratic, I didn’t think it would be that necessary.

So my advice: take him to R3, but don’t awaken. Good luck.

Dr. Zola
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    ESF wrote: »
    Spurgeo14 wrote: »
    ESF wrote: »
    Cuteshelf wrote: »
    If he’s duped he’s great!

He’s a bit of an alrounder. Good damage, good health pool, good block prof, has debuffs but doesn’t rely on them 100%.

The power drain is incredibly handy, although a little too unpredictable. It procs often enough to really useful.

I R4d my 5* and have no regrets. Gotten me through a lot of tough content.

Thanks so much for your response, as well -- it's really helpful. I could kinda see the potential, but I won't lie that I was/am a little nervous about the resource commitment.

I will give a long think about the gem -- I have no doubt that the next champ I pull would be GP as soon as I use it -- but again, sometimes you just gotta go with what you have. My luck with pulls is so ridiculously bad with the 5-stars, if I keep waiting for something clearly useful, I'm never gonna get stuff done.

Again: Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Dude, I hear what you are saying. I have a 5* Hawkeye I was planning to take to R4 because he has the reliable power drain/bleed. I had 3 T4 Skill cats and almost enough for the 4th when what do you know, I pull Gwenpool!! Took her to R3, now I have 2 rank 3 Skill 5* champs...plus I have an awakened Black Panther, but with Gwenpool and Hawkeye, no way I'm taking him up over them! Now I can't wait to get the skill cats needed to take Gwenpool to R4!

a1ygt9wpz5w2.png

Congratulations, man! Truly useful champion, obviously. Not a hater; glad when people have good luck in the game with their pulls.

Thank you! I'm not the unluckiest with pulls, but I've had my bad pulls too. Lol I have IP, She-Hulk, Rhino, Cyclops, and Iron Fist as 5* pulls too. They aren't all good pulls!
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Palanthrax wrote: »
    My advice, for what it's worth, is to take him to 3/45 if you really like him, as it sounds that you do, but I would under no circumstances use a skill awakening gem on him. Nor would I take him to rank 4 unless my T2As were literally going to expire.

Up until October last year, I only had one decent 5* champ, that was my duped Storm, who I actually took up to rank 4 and never regretted it. Everything else was trash.

A spontaneous attempt at Blade's featured crystal completely transformed my account overnight when I got him, I also used the skill awakening gem that I'd gotten from 5.3 (I think it was). All of a sudden, with that pull, my luck changed and over the next few months I had a bunch of amazing pulls.

Before I got Blade, I contemplated awakening Black Panther with the skill gem. Imagine if I had, and how I would have felt when I pulled Blade.

What I'm saying is, you think it will never happen, but everyone's luck comes in eventually - it's a mathematical probability. When it does, you want to be ready. You want to have the gem to awaken them, the T2As to take them to rank 4, and you don't want to regret using those resources on a champ that is good but in no way game-changing.

So for me, rank 3, no awakening. Personally, if it was my roster, I'd lean towards Guillotine as her damage output is better, she's a sustainable champ with the life steal, plus the heal reversal on her SP2 is going to become more and more invaluable with the emergence of nodes like Masochism and regeneration champs such as Mephisto.

I hope this helps a little, all the best.

Thanks for this; appreciate you taking the time.

Unfortunately, the Guillotine is unduped, so no lifesteal. Still useful in her own way, of course. I absolutely do not deny that she hits hard.

• TheOneAndOnlyTheOneAndOnly Posts: 690 ★★★
    I would say wait. Personally I would save rank 3 rank up materials (especially the t1 alphas) for Blade or Gwenpool unless you really like WS.
    I had him at R4 but recently took him down to R3 with the recent rank down gem. I really like him, but he’s behind several other skill champs.

If you’re looking at doing harder content there’s really not much difference between a 5* at R3 and a 4* at 5/50. The R3 will have slightly more health and attack etc. but they’ll both have a challenger rating of 100 which (I think) means that their crit rate, block proficiency, perfect block etc. are identical.

In fact when I was doing MODOK’s lab I ended up dropping my R4 WS entirely as my 5/50 Gwenpool was more effective.

Thanks for the feedback. I have some options in the 4-star world -- think I have 85 now -- just slightly concerned about the future. Trying to weigh now and where we are going. Know 6-stars aren't here as of yet and I got stuff to do, but yeah. The resource allocation is a real debate for those of us who play more casually. Have to truly debate every resource allocation.
    DrZola wrote: »
    I have my 5* WS at R3 and I’ve never regretted it. As the posts here say, he’s solid and reliable—not outstanding in any one area, but very good in a lot of them. He also benefits from some decent synergies with Cap and others. WS was one of my first 5* pulls from well before his most recent changes, and while I haven’t relied heavily on him, I’ve used him often.

It sounds like your 5* roster has been cursed a bit, and I understand that. I’ve had some decent pulls, but every time it seems like I’m about to go on a hot streak, I get the inevitable Groot dupe or Iron Men or Magneto or VP or other T4b arena fodder champ who isn’t worth a T1a. It’s important not to rank or awaken out of desperation, but it’s also important to enjoy what is supposed to be a “game.”

I’ve also had a Skill AG since the 12.0 debacle. I haven’t used it on him—even though he’s the first and only skill 5* I’ve pulled. Not that I haven’t considered it, but I always thought I was bound to pull a second skill 5* who would benefit from it more (and by saying that, I’m sure I’ve now cursed myself with a run of NFDD and Karnak and Falcon pulls). Also, since the power drain is erratic, I didn’t think it would be that necessary.

So my advice: take him to R3, but don’t awaken. Good luck.

Dr. Zola

Thanks for taking the time -- what you're recommending is highly likely what I am going to do.

What you said about enjoying the game is true -- I have had the Skill gem for more than a year now. That doesn't mean I have to use it, of course. I certainly know that EMP Upgrade simply isn't a game changer, and other characters could truly benefit. But yeah. It's just been sitting there while Groot and Ant-Man and Colossus and HB and She-Hulk and Karnak are just gathering dust.

edited January 2018
    I would say wait. Personally I would save rank 3 rank up materials (especially the t1 alphas) for Blade or Gwenpool unless you really like WS.

Thanks for your insight. I have a 5/50 Blade, so my need for him isn't as acute -- though yeah, I would totally R4 a 5-star Blade if I had one.

It's just...this game is bizarre. I have been here since the beginning, and the horrible luck some of us have with 5-stars is just...it's too bad. It's hard sometimes to see people with Voodoos AND awakened SLs AND GPs AND Spark...man.

I am not an elite player. Solidly above-average.

It's brutal, waiting for that one gamechanger -- I have a Skill gem and a Mutant gem, just waiting for me to catch one freaking break.
  • VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★
    most 5 stars are 3/45 worthy, just to get rid of overflowing t4cc's ... I even have duped 5 star Spider-Gwen at 3/45
    Voluntaris wrote: »
    most 5 stars are 3/45 worthy, just to get rid of overflowing t4cc's ... I even have duped 5 star Spider-Gwen at 3/45

LOL I have a good, not great roster. From your post, it's probably a safe bet you have a bit more in your arsenal as well as more resources on a consistent basis, which is a credit to you. I never have overflowing T4s, though I do have a decent amount in each class at the moment.
  • At this point in time I’d say only Blade and Gwenpool are worthy of a skill awakening gem, although admittedly I don’t know too much about Ragnarok or Taskmaster.

Black Widow and OG DD would also be worthy if they were ever released as 5*, but everyone else can just wait for the dupe.
  • King_L0kiB34rKing_L0kiB34r Posts: 210
    Hey there,

So I too have a 5* WS 3/45 undupped. Overall I enjoy playing with him because he is very straight forward. I used him while my higher end champs were in AQ/AW for 5.2.

Mainly wanted to say his Bleed/Incinerate did really well here in 5.2. I liked using his special 2 I feel I get more overall damage out of it. I do not know the exact numbers though, if he is one of your more primary 5*'s you probably know what to do better then I.

I personally would not use an awakening gem on him, I just feel like there will be better champs GP, Blade, or Crossbones ( I know many wouldn't use it on CB but I like his ability I find it very useful). I guess I can't really talk about his power drain... while I have a 4* he is unduped... and the 3* is only used in arena so it works well enough.
  • Ground_Round1Ground_Round1 Posts: 1,012
    This was a great read. Thanks for the wonderful, genuine information. I asked something like this on Karnak, and got pissed on by most of my respondents. Very Sad. THIS is what folks need to be reading. Thanks again to all who responded with valuable info on a 5* WS.
  • Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★
    Okay, here’s the deal with winter soldier since I assume you didn’t not like my trash post.

As far as 5* champs go, he’s below:
    Blade
    Gwenpool
    Hawkeye
    Elektra
    Crossbones
    Punisher (he’s a similar offensive champ but can at least be used on defense whereas ws cant)
    Black panther
    Thor rag (at least imo)
    Karnak (at least imo)
    Cwbp who can at least be used on defense

He’s better than falcon...so there’s that.

The 5* winter soldier is also worse than most of the above 4* champs. Also he’s worse than duped black widow.

Winter soldier basically hits kind of hard when his fury is up. And he can can cause bleed/incinerate on his specials. And his sig ability is basically pointless bc it’s so inconsistent.

If you have skill t4ccs in overflow, then r3 him. If not, pass
  • Run477Run477 Posts: 1,391 ★★★
    I forgot og dd and av both better too
    Run477 wrote: »
    Okay, here’s the deal with winter soldier since I assume you didn’t not like my trash post.

As far as 5* champs go, he’s below:
    Blade
    Gwenpool
    Hawkeye
    Elektra
    Crossbones
    Punisher (he’s a similar offensive champ but can at least be used on defense whereas ws cant)
    Black panther
    Thor rag (at least imo)
    Karnak (at least imo)
    Cwbp who can at least be used on defense

He’s better than falcon...so there’s that.

The 5* winter soldier is also worse than most of the above 4* champs. Also he’s worse than duped black widow.

Winter soldier basically hits kind of hard when his fury is up. And he can can cause bleed/incinerate on his specials. And his sig ability is basically pointless bc it’s so inconsistent.

If you have skill t4ccs in overflow, then r3 him. If not, pass

Here's the thing: I asked about Winter Soldier because that's the guy I have as a 5-star.

Your position is that he's trash. That's cool. That's your opinion. You're entitled to it. But that doesn't answer the question of if he is R3, can he help me in some moderate endgame content like 5.1/early 5.2, which is what I was asking.

You telling me that Blade, GP, Hawkeye, Elektra, etc., are better -- we already know this. Your post is exactly what no one needed here -- everybody here in this thread is experienced.

I can't play characters I don't have, man -- that's the point. And I wasn't asking about whether I should rank up four-stars vs. five-stars -- I can make that decision myself.

I literally asked how WS does as an R3. That's a specific question, which you did not answer.
    Hey there,

So I too have a 5* WS 3/45 undupped. Overall I enjoy playing with him because he is very straight forward. I used him while my higher end champs were in AQ/AW for 5.2.

Mainly wanted to say his Bleed/Incinerate did really well here in 5.2. I liked using his special 2 I feel I get more overall damage out of it. I do not know the exact numbers though, if he is one of your more primary 5*'s you probably know what to do better then I.

I personally would not use an awakening gem on him, I just feel like there will be better champs GP, Blade, or Crossbones ( I know many wouldn't use it on CB but I like his ability I find it very useful). I guess I can't really talk about his power drain... while I have a 4* he is unduped... and the 3* is only used in arena so it works well enough.

Thanks for that -- I, too, find Crossbones' sig ability useful. Not sure that I'd awaken with the gem if I had him, for much of the same reasons as WS, but I agree that he is useful.

Great to know that someone else used an unduped R3 in 5.2. Extremely useful to know.
    edited January 2018
    This was a great read. Thanks for the wonderful, genuine information. I asked something like this on Karnak, and got pissed on by most of my respondents. Very Sad. THIS is what folks need to be reading. Thanks again to all who responded with valuable info on a 5* WS.

Totally agree -- the feedback on this has been truly valuable.

Again: Thanks to everyone who offered feedback. It really has made a difference about how I should approach resource allocation for a character who can be useful but isn't elite, but is who I have -- especially for those of you who even took him to R4 and don't necessarily regret that decision, at all.
  • RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★
    What are your r5 4* champs? I would use most, if not all, got tier r5 4* champs over an unduped r3 5* WS.
    What are your r5 4* champs? I would use most, if not all, got tier r5 4* champs over an unduped r3 5* WS.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I have had Hyperion and OG Vision at 5/50 for an extended period; they have recently been joined by Blade. They handle the majority of my heavy lifting. It's been a bit of a struggle lining up all the resources to get more 5/50s, though I will likely take up either Iceman or AA, one of either SL or Spark, and Magik.

Again: I have a deep roster of 4-stars. They get me through the majority of the content I need to get through. But it becomes a slog because of the health pools and relative flimsiness compared to 5-stars.

Again: I get it. They are roughly comparable. They are. I And some 4-stars would be better today, and maybe tomorrow. I don't dispute that.

But not long term. At some point, the 4-stars just aren't going to have enough muscle to do what a decent 5-star does, and while I do grind, I am a casual gamer in the sense that I have a wife/kid/life -- I play, but I can't play all the time. So high-intensity alliances are out. So I have to manage my accumulated resources very, very carefully, and not ignore what I know is coming down the line vs. what is easier today.
    Also: Before someone takes my head off and asks, "Why don't you take up the Iceman AND the AA AND the SL AND the Spark AND the Magik?"

That's the resource allocation issue in play -- I have enough T4 CCs to take up a Mutant, a Tech, and a Mystic to 5/50 -- but not enough to do two in any of those classes.

I also have enough to take up a Science, and am just short in Cosmic, but have no one worthy at the moment -- the Hulk I have is good enough at 4/40 because I have him at a high sig level so he scales well enough. Quake is effective enough where she is, as well. So I'll probably take my OG Spider-Man up to 3/45 because I am fairly devastating with him.

In Skill, I have Hawkeye at 4/40, and he gets me through a lot of tricky stuff. I also have a 4/40 Wolverine at a high sig level who I might take to 5/50 one day -- that character has gotten me through some tough stuff, as well.
    5/50 Blade is 10 times better than r3 WS. Don't waste resources on him. Rank your god tier 4* champs.
  • Jing_Yik2017Jing_Yik2017 Posts: 86
    i have a R4 5* WS, even with the RTD last month, and i have a 5* GP, i din't even think to rank him down.

His specials are good, great damage with some damage over time, to me power drain is his main feature, help me through a lot of hard content.

My advice, don't do the rank up until you awake him. keep your resources, maybe you will be lucky enough to get a better skill who doesn't need to be duped and suit your play style (for example GP).
  • Stark78AlfaStark78Alfa Posts: 502
    5/50 Blade is 10 times better than r3 WS. Don't waste resources on him. Rank your god tier 4* champs.

I think you are missing the point here.

I'm also asking myself if it is about time to move to 5* over 4*. I do have a 5* WS at 2/35 and as soon as I get the resources, I'll take him to 3/45.
  • If your best champ is going to be an unduped R3 champ then I’d say you’re not quite at the level yet where you’re better off prioritising ranking 5* champs over 4* champs.

Once you start to build up a 5* roster and look at taking them to R4 then I would say that’s when you start to move away from 4*s (apart from exceptional circumstances).
  • DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    3/45 5star is only 10% stronger than 5/50 4star (stat-wise), so there are plenty of 4stars which are better choice at 5/50 than 3/45 unawakened winter soldier.

I think you are missing the point here.

I'm also asking myself if it is about time to move to 5* over 4*. I do have a 5* WS at 2/35 and as soon as I get the resources, I'll take him to 3/45.

I think you're missing the point.

4* Blade will take you further in this game than 5* WS. 5* champs are the future but not mediocre 5* champs. Wasting 5 t1a, 4 t4b and 3 t4c on WS is a waste when you can rank an actually useful 4* champ. I've 100% completed literally everything in this game and 4* champs helped me do it all (GP and AA in LOL, AA, GR, Ice/Ultron in 5.4).

I'd take a 4* Blade over a r4 WS in all of it, let alone a r3 WS.
  • JstewJstew Posts: 46
    Thanks for asking the question ESF as I am in the same boat with a recent pull of a 5* WS. Lots of good feedback.
  • Maddog0894Maddog0894 Posts: 24
    @ESF I have a ranked 4 unduped WS that is a frikkin truck man. Tbh I’m almost considering taking him to r5. He doesn’t need the dupe at all. All it does is add a lil power drain that is very inconsistent so I wouldn’t be too worried there. What he does need tho is the KM synergy. I have a 6* km but a 4* would work. But with that synergy is god tier all the way. Hope this helps.