**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Serious question about individual Player Skill

So i'm here, reading posts and stuff and i see specially in the alliance category, that they are always in need of skilled players right?
now skill here has many variables right? like of course you say, hey i beat Realm of Legends, or i beat 100% LoL, but there are so many variables from champions they use, to the amount of revives and health potions and synergies and all of that stuff right?
yesterday i beat for the first time the ROL winter soldier with a 204 starlord combo, and i felt pretty great i felt like i was skilled
like i was good at the game, but then it hit me, like most people have beaten ROL, right? so how can i meassure my skill, do i have like ordinary skill that everyone else has, or am i below the threshold, certainly i'm not the analyzer so that is the skill ceiling for me
that is the absolute best i think someone could play, thats just me thinking, so i wanna know guys, what do you define as skill?

TL;DR: How do you personally meassure skill among the battlerealm fellow players? :).

Comments

• Options
    GrinderGrinder Posts: 242
    edited June 2017
    There are 2 types of players: those who are genuinely just incredible at fighting and never need to revive or very limited reviving, then there are those who need a fairly large amount of units to do the same content.

Both result in the same end reward imo. You got it done one way or another, that's all that matters.
    Now if you go around spending thousands of dollars to literally buy your way to success don't expect a warm welcome from most people, but at the end of the day you're still in the same bracket as the rest. Personally I don't care as long as whatever needs to be done gets done in alliances.

Side note: This doesn't apply to the few fights that are just built around forcing you to spend units.
  • Options
    TBJ1118TBJ1118 Posts: 228
    At least for me, it's when you can take down at least 1 miniboss/boss alone in AQ and reach the end with the 3 characters alive. Same with AW, if you can beat 8-10 opponents without objects and still be alive with 1-2 you are pretty skilled to me. Moreover, parry = not skilled. Intercept = skilled. So if you manage killing unstunnable nodes without dyeing you are skilled. For the LOL easy path, under 2-3k units or equivalent objects with starlord 5* r4 you are really skilled, under 6k you are good, above you suck a bit. Those to me are good parameters.
  • Options
    MegaSkater67MegaSkater67 Posts: 1,377 ★★★★
    I personally consider skill to be a combination of knowledge and gameplay. What I mean by that is knowing the abilities of each champ you use and the opponents you face makes a big difference. Such as knowing not to attack a stunned mordo or parry a BPCW that has armour up. Then there's masteries, of course there are lots of different setups that work well but you still need the basics like dexterity. When alliances are recruiting for 'skilled players' they generally want someone who has a roster suitable for their alliance who is able to clear their path in AW and AQ on a regular basis, everybody makes mistakes at some point but they don't want people that die at the first fight every war. This is what I look for when I'm trying to find new members. I would imagine the majority of alliances don't require you to have beaten ROL etc. It really depends on where you're at in the game though, top alliances are going to want experienced players with a powerful roster, new lower tier alliances would be more accepting of new players and help each other to grow and improve. But I honestly think knowledge of the game is the biggest game changer there is. After all, what's the point in having a great champ maxed out if you have no idea how to use them?
  • Options
    Tmasters1984Tmasters1984 Posts: 451
    Yeah. The higher tier alliances recruit on what you can bring to the table. Often skill is the most important thing but your lineup and masteries will matter too.

Like a really skilled player with regen champs is probably going to be preferred to a slightly better player without them because of AQ.
  • Options
    Average_PlayerAverage_Player Posts: 80
    TBJ1118 wrote: »
    At least for me, it's when you can take down at least 1 miniboss/boss alone in AQ and reach the end with the 3 characters alive. Same with AW, if you can beat 8-10 opponents without objects and still be alive with 1-2 you are pretty skilled to me. Moreover, parry = not skilled. Intercept = skilled. So if you manage killing unstunnable nodes without dyeing you are skilled. For the LOL easy path, under 2-3k units or equivalent objects with starlord 5* r4 you are really skilled, under 6k you are good, above you suck a bit. Those to me are good parameters.

You can't really measure skill by the amount of units spent on LOL.. What if a person only spent 300 units, but used 5,000 units worth of farmed potions?
  • Options
    ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    @TBJ1118 is pretty spot on imo. The only caveat being what prestige AQ and what tier AW they play in. Some people think they are really skilled but only playing in tier 8 with 2k prestige... Master level event quest is probably their hardest test and it's really not that hard either. Nothing like 7k prestige in AQ...
  • Options
    NanaPokuNanaPoku Posts: 50
    Unfortunately skill in this game is a moving target....allow me to explain:

No matter how well you play, you can't complete RoL with spidergwen.... or complete Dave Bautista's challenge with Iron Patriot.
    So point 1 is : success in this game is heavily reliant on having specific champs. Regardless of what Kabam says, certain champs are better than others. P.S.: Not everyone with a Bautista Bomb title is skilled!

You are blazing through arena or monthly quest, parrying and intercepting like nobody's business... you switch over to AQ and suddenly, the same parry/intercept skills vanish.
    So point 2 is : subtle, unannounced, unconfirmed changes by Kabam. Parry timing goes off immediately you enter AQ. Countless players have reported this, yet no word from Kabam. For the majority of last AQ season, we had to deal with a broken spidey. It took the entire season for Kabam to confirm and attempt to fix this issue....which is still persisstent as we speak. Also, try fighting Nightcrawler .... Mr. Obvious : "well, you could just get him to switch modes. Duh!". Alright. Good luck with the vanishing timer.

You read a champion's bio and think to yourself : "this guy could be a real game changer" - a 'Eureka' moment. You rank him up and decide to test him out on Mr. Buchanan Barnes in the Realm of Legends. He performs miserably bad and you just can't bring yourself to understand how that is possible.
    So point 3 is : beyond what you read in the Champions bio and Mastery description, is a sinister game mechanic called diminishing returns.
    Someone defined skill as "knowing the abilities of each champ you use and the opponents you face". That could be true, except these abilities as per Kabam's definition in the spotlight, is often completely different from what happens on the battlefield. The mechanics of the game no longer follow logic. Ironfist's armor breaks, pureskill, heroes for hire synergy with CA WW2, etc.

SO in summary, it is hard to gauge skills in the current state of the game for a number of reason; and until Kabam fixes certain aspects fo the game, it will remaina game of luck!
  • Options
    Josh2PlayJosh2Play Posts: 115
    @NanaPoku You take on my point very well, While some people might say oh great you beat RoL with Starlord, anybody can do that, others might say, hey that takes skill, so it is a very objective thing, however, seatin has beat the RoL with Spidergwen you might wanna check that video out.