Infinity Thanos is probably the best boss fight design in this game's history

Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
This is the best boss fight design in the history of this game and this is because:

A) There is no RNG

All his abilities can be predicted with pinpoint accuracy. You can read what's coming, you can see it, you have the timers to indicate when it is coming and then the outcome has no RNG attached to it. Brilliant!

B Free Practice Runs

I have to admit that the Guillotine fight last month was also well designed and was at appropriate level for uncollected. However, it was marred by the fact that you had to spend somewhere between 78 to 99 energy just to reach her. And when you reached her 5 hours after starting the quest, there was no will left to practice and quit on her. So, I just used "safe" god tier champs and powered through using a revive or two if needed. Same issue is in LOL where there is no room for experimentation unless you are willing a pay a steep cost.

This is where it is so good this month. You can have 4 to 5 practice runs on Thanos' in one full energy.

C) No "**** you, I win" button on Thanos

The first difficult boss fight that came into the game was Act 4 Maestro. Before him, it was simple parry / dexterity, smash to oblivion. This was the first time you had to plan. He required champs that could stop healing or nullify it. It required players who could time their dodges perfectly to his sp1. He had the means to destroy perfect block teams, the go-to strategy of that time.

Fast forward to 5.2. The Collector. Unblockable specials that are impossible to dodge. Ability that reduces ability accuracy over time so no power control. Goes unstoppable without notice in the middle of your combo. Even if you play him with top skill, at some point the Collector just goes "ok **** you, I win". And that really isn't enjoyable. This was also the era of LOL Maestro who has similar mechanics for certain classes. Plus the enrage timers achieve the same thing.

Thankfully, I can see a shift away from that design. We had 5.4 Ultron who can be soloed (but still has the broken evade). Then came Uncollected Guillotine last month. First truly hard Uncollected Event Quest boss who didn't have unavoidable damage. She was simple and good. Thanos is continuation of that. He is complicated and brilliant. He does get free sp3s but you can eat 4 of them with any champ, 10 with avengers, 20 with iceman and unlimited with duped gwenpool. That is a bit of damage-gate I suppose as you have to kill him quickly in that phase before he gets too many sp3s, but I am willing to give it a pass as we have fair bit of choice in the tools that we can use.

I see a lot of threads on BS bosses and there is a lot of negative feedback on things that have gone wrong in the game (**gold shortage**), so I thought we should have positive feedback on something that we like.
«13

Comments

  • PalanthraxPalanthrax Posts: 918 ★★★★
    Agreed, for the most part. Unfortunately my brain isn't wired for reversing the controls, that caught me out pretty much every time, but I can see why some people liked it.

    I also felt Death Touch was a little extreme - but with some aggressive gameplay and snap back intercepts it was manageable.

    All in all, it was good as a one-off and deserving of an iconic boss like Thanos.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 5,812 ★★★★★
    Yeah I totally agree, I had a lot of fun with it (even though there were times when I shouted at reverse controls swapping back to normal just before I swiped and making me eat a combo). I really, really hope kabam take note of the positive feedback just as much as the negative. People tend to just shout at what knocks them out without thinking about it as much.
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
    Mcord117 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it as well. I practice ran it a couple times then said screw it. All in all it cost me 300 units to beat but I actually enjoyed the fight, unlike something like the collector or the old juggs in act 4

    Yea that Juggernaut escaped my memory. Still have the screenshot of Ultron beating him. Chain-heavied him to death when he got a power lock. :smiley:
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
    Palanthrax wrote: »
    Agreed, for the most part. Unfortunately my brain isn't wired for reversing the controls, that caught me out pretty much every time, but I can see why some people liked it.

    I also felt Death Touch was a little extreme - but with some aggressive gameplay and snap back intercepts it was manageable.

    All in all, it was good as a one-off and deserving of an iconic boss like Thanos.

    I think, the fact that infinity Thanos is not playable gave them more room to experiment. I think Dormammu should 've had the same treatment.
  • LoPrestiLoPresti Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    I preferred the guilly to be honest. Yeah, she was a bit bs, but at least you know how guilly plays and you can just quickly read the nodes and you know what you're in for.

    For Thanos I had to read all his abilities, specials, then go on youtube to watch someone play against him so I knew how to evade his specials. Then remember everything that happens in every phase, while also fighting with the inverted controls. And then when you have done all that, there is another Thanos waiting right behind him where you have to reread all is abilities again and remember those phases.

    It was a bit much. New champion, new specials, changes mechanics midfight (mutliple times), etc.

    I will agree, once I did all that prep work (took me around 30 minutes), it is an enjoyable boss fight (managed to kill him without spending items cause of all the prep work).


    p.s. Only 1 path in the last chapter is AMAZING!
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Posts: 1,030 ★★★★
    I liked fighting him but I hated the cinematics during the fight.
  • AlCapone2727AlCapone2727 Posts: 428 ★★
    I agree this is my favorite boss fight. I loved the animations and complexit. However I would have saved this guy as a story mode boss as it was a lot of work just have him stay for only a month. I didn't like the "illusion" description of his nightmare stone, it made it impossible for someone who's never done it like Seatin. I also didn't like the deathtouch staying for so long. Unlike war, it couldn't just be parried or stayed away because he's sp3 you. I feel it was made the hardest and put last so you'd throw more units because you've already come so far
  • BigDudeBigDude Posts: 82
    Amonthir wrote: »
    BigDude wrote: »
    I disagree, I think the complexity is completely ridiculous. If you aren't tied into the community and you just want to play the game, you don't know about the 2 pages of information you have to read to play the boss correctly. Instead you are constantly wondering what he is doing and why I keep dying. Can I just play? Most people don't have hours and hours to invest into the game, they just use it as stress relief or passively play with their alliance mates. Then once you read it, you wonder if you even understand the terminology and play strategy

    It's some reading on his Info in game, and then watching timers and health percentages. It's even split into 2 fights so you don't have to memorize 6 Stone phases, just 3. Not that complex to do, certainly within the capabilities of anyone who makes it to him. I want bosses that are more than Parry+Smash, and less than '**** you, I win', and Thanos is in a good spot between those. He's not simple, but not complete BS, just how a boss should be, rather than just a normal fight with bigger numbers.

    I see your point, but not everyone is a superstar skilled player. I am honest, I am struggling with it. You can say I am terrible, but while I practice on 3 second fights I have to keep feeding money into the coin slot and that pisses me off. So much so, I want to just break my phone and stop playing the game. So if you want to say piss off to the 99% of the player base who won't get through this with out lots and lots of revives. good luck with that.
  • BigDudeBigDude Posts: 82
    And I have r4 and r5 5star champs, I can only imagine the poor guy with 4 stars trying to beat this.
  • AlCapone2727AlCapone2727 Posts: 428 ★★
    BigDude wrote: »
    Amonthir wrote: »
    BigDude wrote: »
    I disagree, I think the complexity is completely ridiculous. If you aren't tied into the community and you just want to play the game, you don't know about the 2 pages of information you have to read to play the boss correctly. Instead you are constantly wondering what he is doing and why I keep dying. Can I just play? Most people don't have hours and hours to invest into the game, they just use it as stress relief or passively play with their alliance mates. Then once you read it, you wonder if you even understand the terminology and play strategy

    It's some reading on his Info in game, and then watching timers and health percentages. It's even split into 2 fights so you don't have to memorize 6 Stone phases, just 3. Not that complex to do, certainly within the capabilities of anyone who makes it to him. I want bosses that are more than Parry+Smash, and less than '**** you, I win', and Thanos is in a good spot between those. He's not simple, but not complete BS, just how a boss should be, rather than just a normal fight with bigger numbers.

    I see your point, but not everyone is a superstar skilled player. I am honest, I am struggling with it. You can say I am terrible, but while I practice on 3 second fights I have to keep feeding money into the coin slot and that pisses me off. So much so, I want to just break my phone and stop playing the game. So if you want to say piss off to the 99% of the player base who won't get through this with out lots and lots of revives. good luck with that.

    Then this fight isn't for you. Guys that have played this for 4 years shouldn't be on the same level as guys that started a year ago. We need fights that are challenging too
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 921 ★★★
    LoPresti wrote: »
    I preferred the guilly to be honest. Yeah, she was a bit bs, but at least you know how guilly plays and you can just quickly read the nodes and you know what you're in for.

    For Thanos I had to read all his abilities, specials, then go on youtube to watch someone play against him so I knew how to evade his specials. Then remember everything that happens in every phase, while also fighting with the inverted controls. And then when you have done all that, there is another Thanos waiting right behind him where you have to reread all is abilities again and remember those phases.

    It was a bit much. New champion, new specials, changes mechanics midfight (mutliple times), etc.

    I will agree, once I did all that prep work (took me around 30 minutes), it is an enjoyable boss fight (managed to kill him without spending items cause of all the prep work).


    p.s. Only 1 path in the last chapter is AMAZING!

    but isn't that the essence of a boss fight. Read up and prep as much as you can because you know it isnt a faceroll
  • MasterSmokeMasterSmoke Posts: 270 ★★
    Yea the thanos boss was real fun good job Kabam
  • AmonthirAmonthir Posts: 754 ★★★
    BigDude wrote: »
    Amonthir wrote: »
    BigDude wrote: »
    I disagree, I think the complexity is completely ridiculous. If you aren't tied into the community and you just want to play the game, you don't know about the 2 pages of information you have to read to play the boss correctly. Instead you are constantly wondering what he is doing and why I keep dying. Can I just play? Most people don't have hours and hours to invest into the game, they just use it as stress relief or passively play with their alliance mates. Then once you read it, you wonder if you even understand the terminology and play strategy

    It's some reading on his Info in game, and then watching timers and health percentages. It's even split into 2 fights so you don't have to memorize 6 Stone phases, just 3. Not that complex to do, certainly within the capabilities of anyone who makes it to him. I want bosses that are more than Parry+Smash, and less than '**** you, I win', and Thanos is in a good spot between those. He's not simple, but not complete BS, just how a boss should be, rather than just a normal fight with bigger numbers.

    I see your point, but not everyone is a superstar skilled player. I am honest, I am struggling with it. You can say I am terrible, but while I practice on 3 second fights I have to keep feeding money into the coin slot and that pisses me off. So much so, I want to just break my phone and stop playing the game. So if you want to say piss off to the 99% of the player base who won't get through this with out lots and lots of revives. good luck with that.

    I am not superskilled either, but the relatively low energy cost of that map means you can afford to do several practice runs and not use items. He is a fight that requires patience and good timing, not just smashsmashsmash. And good intercepting skills for his later forms, when he has Death Touch.
  • BarogsBarogs Posts: 59
    I agree with @Haji_Saab this boss fight is very well designed and well thought out. I found the first Thanos tougher than the second, but if you read his abilities you can figure out how to handle him. Took me a couple revives but it's possible for sure
  • CaramesCarames Posts: 284 ★★
    I'm still practicing against him, and I agree fully. He's still kicking my butt, but I'm having fun figuring him out, and that says something. It's nice to have a challenge that's fun and engaging, instead of just wanting to throw units at it until you get through it.
  • BigDudeBigDude Posts: 82
    BigDude wrote: »
    Amonthir wrote: »
    BigDude wrote: »
    I disagree, I think the complexity is completely ridiculous. If you aren't tied into the community and you just want to play the game, you don't know about the 2 pages of information you have to read to play the boss correctly. Instead you are constantly wondering what he is doing and why I keep dying. Can I just play? Most people don't have hours and hours to invest into the game, they just use it as stress relief or passively play with their alliance mates. Then once you read it, you wonder if you even understand the terminology and play strategy

    It's some reading on his Info in game, and then watching timers and health percentages. It's even split into 2 fights so you don't have to memorize 6 Stone phases, just 3. Not that complex to do, certainly within the capabilities of anyone who makes it to him. I want bosses that are more than Parry+Smash, and less than '**** you, I win', and Thanos is in a good spot between those. He's not simple, but not complete BS, just how a boss should be, rather than just a normal fight with bigger numbers.

    I see your point, but not everyone is a superstar skilled player. I am honest, I am struggling with it. You can say I am terrible, but while I practice on 3 second fights I have to keep feeding money into the coin slot and that pisses me off. So much so, I want to just break my phone and stop playing the game. So if you want to say piss off to the 99% of the player base who won't get through this with out lots and lots of revives. good luck with that.

    Then this fight isn't for you. Guys that have played this for 4 years shouldn't be on the same level as guys that started a year ago. We need fights that are challenging too

    I have been playing since almost inception, this is a second account. I always chuckle when people think that time equals skill. There is a big difference between flawless and 1 mistake. You have to play flawless to beat these guys. Ok, narrowing the range at which flawless can be achieved makes it dramatically harder. My main account i beat it, but I won't even try on my second account, why? the rewards aren't worth the hassle. I am sure there are more in my boat then the leet skilled boat.
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 387 ★★★
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    This is the best boss fight design in the history of this game and this is because:

    A) There is no RNG

    B,) Free Practice Runs

    C) No "**** you, I win" button on Thanos

    Agree 100% and can't give them enough credit for all three of these points. I can't stand RNG mechanics that lead to death (unstoppable mid combo, labyrinth evade, etc.) because it's basically fake difficulty that completely ignores any skill you've developed to deal with that particular fight. The fact that they designed a challenging boss without using those tactics is awesome. The fight is complicated and it's a lot to learn, but that problem is almost completely mitigated by Kabam letting us practice the fight over and over again for a pretty minimal energy cost which is also great design. As a side benefit it also drastically cut down on the energy cost for this months quest which kind of makes up for last months slog. Good Work Kabam!

  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
    edited May 2019
    Reviving the thread after 1 year because I feel like saying the same thing again...

    Just did the UC Thanos for the first time and I loved the fight ... to save time, read the OP about what I think about the fight ... and it still remains the best fight ever created by Kabam.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 6,384 ★★★★★

    Haji_Saab said:

    Reviving the thread after 1 year because I feel like saying the same thing again...

    Just did the UC Thanos for the first time and I loved the fight ... to save time, read the OP about what I think about the fight ... and it still remains the best fight ever created by Kabam.

    I mostly agree, but phase 3 of UC thanos is way too challenging, especially combined with his massive health pool. Even if you expertly intercept thanos dash attack, you only have 1 second to deal damage, thats way too small a window in my opinion to do significant damage especially combined with the fact that his health is massive.
    But you have an armor break mechanic that simply amplified your damage for that 1s short window, allowing you to burst him down.

    We didn’t have that luxury last year.

    Not to mention his unstoppable timer is reduced this year as well to make him easier.
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★

    Haji_Saab said:

    Reviving the thread after 1 year because I feel like saying the same thing again...

    Just did the UC Thanos for the first time and I loved the fight ... to save time, read the OP about what I think about the fight ... and it still remains the best fight ever created by Kabam.

    I mostly agree, but phase 3 of UC thanos is way too challenging, especially combined with his massive health pool. Even if you expertly intercept thanos dash attack, you only have 1 second to deal damage, thats way too small a window in my opinion to do significant damage especially combined with the fact that his health is massive.

    It takes 2 sp3 to take him out .. or if you have high damage dealer like sparky, you can take him out in 1 sp3 and some hits. You can survive 5 sp3 with any character and 6 with Avengers... also if you have willpower, you can get 1 or 2 more specials out of him. I was healing 8% between each special.

    The fight kind of goes downhill if you are already battered in the first two phases and reaching the final phase on revives. But if you reach final phase with full hp champions, it is not that difficult then.
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

    Haji_Saab said:

    Reviving the thread after 1 year because I feel like saying the same thing again...

    Just did the UC Thanos for the first time and I loved the fight ... to save time, read the OP about what I think about the fight ... and it still remains the best fight ever created by Kabam.

    I mostly agree, but phase 3 of UC thanos is way too challenging, especially combined with his massive health pool. Even if you expertly intercept thanos dash attack, you only have 1 second to deal damage, thats way too small a window in my opinion to do significant damage especially combined with the fact that his health is massive.
    But you have an armor break mechanic that simply amplified your damage for that 1s short window, allowing you to burst him down.

    We didn’t have that luxury last year.

    Not to mention his unstoppable timer is reduced this year as well to make him easier.

    I did spend a few revives last time ... this time, no items ... so I would say this is easier. Also, last year there were two Thanos, so after beating one you were less inclined to restart.
  • Haji_SaabHaji_Saab Posts: 5,788 ★★★★★
    Hendross said:

    Is this a Thanos love thread, what have we devolved to? All you heretics ousting yourselves should be ashamed. This forum is reserved for anger, hate, and begging, not love and admiration. smh


    Make love, not salt. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.