**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

How would you implement a 5* basic arena

IF the 5* basic arena is introduced into the contest in the perhaps near future admist of server crashes, how would you implement it?

Comments

• Repto23Repto23 Posts: 731 ★★★
    edited August 2018
    I wish that they would but then everyone would get the champ and thats too easy for us so kabam won't
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Repto23 wrote: »
    I wish that they would but then everyone would get the champ and thats too easy for us so kabam won't

Not if the milestone was high, but yeah I do see what you're saying. I think it would be good for them to every once in a while add the champion to the milestones just to mix things up a bit.
  • Jh_DezJh_Dez Posts: 1,305 ★★★
    Honestly if the milestone was 20mil, I see a lot of people spending
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    I think you forgot that the game is called CONTEST of champions. Most of the content that isn’t solo quests is intended to be a competition so giving a champ out as a milestone doesn’t make sense. People want it as a milestone so they don’t have to worry about missing out. I get it but I don’t agree with making champs a milestone for any arena
  • EvilEmpireEvilEmpire Posts: 639 ★★★
    Deadbyrd9 wrote: »
    I think you forgot that the game is called CONTEST of champions. Most of the content that isn’t solo quests is intended to be a competition so giving a champ out as a milestone doesn’t make sense. People want it as a milestone so they don’t have to worry about missing out. I get it but I don’t agree with making champs a milestone for any arena

Yeah except all the competitions are marred by cheating. Guys still have bots running arena and the hilarious antics of the most high profile alliances continue to be allowed to run rampant in war. They haven’t done enough imo to demonstrate that we are all playing on a level field so they should consider more milestones to midigate the consequences fair players continue to suffer in the contest.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,253 ★★★★★
    I think it’s too early for 5* basic arena. I’d say around 8 months to a year until there’s one. Even then, I think it should be around top 2.5% or less. I don’t think 5* should be going for less than 10 mil personally. Even though it would be nice, I do think it would imbalance the game.
  • bm3eppsbm3epps Posts: 1,146 ★★★
    Jh_Dez wrote: »
    Honestly if the milestone was 20mil, I see a lot of people spending

lmao..u mean grinding
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,470 Guardian
    EvilEmpire wrote: »

Yeah except all the competitions are marred by cheating. Guys still have bots running arena and the hilarious antics of the most high profile alliances continue to be allowed to run rampant in war. They haven’t done enough imo to demonstrate that we are all playing on a level field so they should consider more milestones to midigate the consequences fair players continue to suffer in the contest.

I've seen no evidence that cheating in the arena is anything other than a rare occurrence. There's zero evidence it is affecting cutoff scores in any arena other than the 5* featured, and even that arena doesn't seem to have strong evidence of wildly unusual scores. It is *possible* it is happening in the top 200, but not at levels that are detectable.

To put it another way, it is possible there's a cheater somewhere in the top scores in the 5* featured (or even in other arenas) but the number of them possible is such that if you aren't getting at least extremely close to the cutoffs now, you aren't being affected by them whether it is happening or not.

I doubt we'll see a 5* basic arena any time soon. I wouldn't expect one to show up before rank 3 6* champions start to become commonplace.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I've seen no evidence that cheating in the arena is anything other than a rare occurrence. There's zero evidence it is affecting cutoff scores in any arena other than the 5* featured, and even that arena doesn't seem to have strong evidence of wildly unusual scores. It is *possible* it is happening in the top 200, but not at levels that are detectable.

This may be true if cheating is referring to bots or mods. This is not true if cheating is referring to account sharing or arena mercenaries.

This may be true if cheating is referring to bots or mods. This is not true if cheating is referring to account sharing or arena mercenaries.

Let me rephrase. There is no evidence that cutoff scores would change significantly if every possible source of high scoring other than a single player playing a single account with no TOS violation was eliminated.
  • dano357dano357 Posts: 106
    In some ways, the new Dungeon setup has it filling the role of another 5* star arena. It's probably the same amount of time to get the 5*, but it's spread out so it's more manageable for some than the 3-day grindfest of an arena.
  • IsThisLossIsThisLoss Posts: 255 ★★

thats not why its called contest of champions lol
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Let me rephrase. There is no evidence that cutoff scores would change significantly if every possible source of high scoring other than a single player playing a single account with no TOS violation was eliminated.

There is some evidence, though not enough to counter your statement. 3rd party services advertise account sharing services including arena, these services wouldn't be common knowledge if they weren't making a profit. Other sources such as MCOC-related podcasts also support the stance that there are top paying players who pay other people to run their account in arena. Furthermore, one of the game's most well-known arena grinders received a temporary ban after last AW Season. That player's alliance received no AW-related penalties last season, so the temporary ban was not for a AW-related incident.

There is some evidence, though not enough to counter your statement. 3rd party services advertise account sharing services including arena, these services wouldn't be common knowledge if they weren't making a profit. Other sources such as MCOC-related podcasts also support the stance that there are top paying players who pay other people to run their account in arena. Furthermore, one of the game's most well-known arena grinders received a temporary ban after last AW Season. That player's alliance received no AW-related penalties last season, so the temporary ban was not for a AW-related incident.

I did not say there is no evidence that some cheating goes on. There's ample evidence that it exists on some level. What I said was that there is no evidence that it significantly impacts cutoff scores, and for that we have the historical record of how cutoff scores and player expectations intertwine. We have less data now than in the past, but there's no reason to believe the psychology of the arena has dramatically changed over time. Players aim for the score they think they need (of the players capable of hitting it) and the cutoff almost always ends up near a "consensus plateau" of scores, such that subtracting a small number of cheaters off the top would not alter the cutoff score significantly up or down.

To put the concept more concretely, suppose that a thousand players all score about 20 million, and then everyone else trails off rapidly after that. If 80% of the top players were cheaters and 800 of those scores were actually the result of cheating, eliminating those 800 scores would still keep the cutoff almost exactly at 20 million. In this example, even if almost everyone cheated, the cutoff score wouldn't be affected.

That's not actually how arena scoring works, that's just an overemphasized example of how the scores *actually* work, which is a bit more complex (it follows a multiple plateau curve) and what kinds of scores cheating is likely to generate. The bottom line is that there are enough legitimate arena grinders capable of scoring the kinds of numbers that actually show up that the cutoff is insensitive to the addition of a few more players cheating their way to the top.