**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Parry inconsistency solved?

So for a while now I’ve been trying to figure out why parry has been so inconsistent. Is the window being changed on us? Is it minor animation lag? No, the CPU is doing dash attacks after you finish a combo ending in a medium. Since dashes have longer animation it’s nearly impossible to parry at such a close distance.
I figured this out when I was fighting Rhino and he did an unblockable dash attack after I finished my combo, which should be impossible. So I recorded some video and it appears that when you end a combo on a medium it pushes the CPU a step further back than it should, giving it the ability to do a dash attack if it chooses. It doesn’t do that if you end on a light attack. The CPU also doesn’t always do a dash attack after you finish a combo with a medium, which is why you can sometimes still get the parry.

(Wish I could post the video but it’s only letting me post pictures)
I feel confident that this is the issue and if I’m right I believe this needs to be fixed. Parry is one of the core gameplay mechanics in the game. I know some endgame players and Kabam will say that you should do more intercepting because you can’t always rely on parry with nodes out there such as limber, stun immunity and invade, but that doesn’t excuse the fact that, as a core mechanic, parry needs to work consistently like it use to in the past.

Comments

• ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    I realised this as well after weeks of playing and slowing noticing this detail haha, glad to see that somebody else agrees with what i noticed.
  • SHIELD_Agent_10SHIELD_Agent_10 Posts: 17
    @Championcritic yeah I’ve always known something was up but I could never put my finger on exactly what until that fight with Rhino. I’m surprised nobody has really talked about this that I’m aware of.

• B_RabbittB_Rabbitt Posts: 136
    I truly don't believe there is anything wrong with the fact that ending a combo with a Medium attack is creating more distance.

Physically it makes sense, the Medium attack is a harder attack and therefore should create more distance between you and the opponent, similar to how a Heavy attack knocks down the opponent.

Also, parrying the Medium dash attack at that distance after your combo is not even close to impossible to parry, you just have to practice and get it down.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    B_Rabbitt said:

I truly don't believe there is anything wrong with the fact that ending a combo with a Medium attack is creating more distance.

Physically it makes sense, the Medium attack is a harder attack and therefore should create more distance between you and the opponent, similar to how a Heavy attack knocks down the opponent.

Also, parrying the Medium dash attack at that distance after your combo is not even close to impossible to parry, you just have to practice and get it down.

A medium attack causing the opponent to be "pushed" further back compared to a light attack is no problem. The problem lies in that the increased distance causes the opponent to have to do a micro-dash when he performs a medium attack after you finish a 5 hit combo

Medium attack and light attack animation timings are different, but if initiated from the same spot is not a problem and you can still parry both with the same timing. However, when you add in the splitsecond needed for the opponent to micro-dash and then follow that with a medium attack, the timing to parry is significantly different than parrying a light attack based on what I observed.

This then results in the problem where if you parry a medium attack after finishing a 5 hit combo, the block becomes "too early" because of that additional micro-dash timing causing the inconsistency everyone is talking about, which can be solved by reducing the distance the opponent is pushed back to after ending with a medium attack to match its light attack counterpart.
  • WiMakWiMak Posts: 359 ★★
    THANK YOU!!! someone else noticed. It is certain champs and has been happening for awhile:
    SL
    X23
    Hood
    Sym supreme
    GR
    To name a few. I made a detailed video a few days ago. First time making one so I’m trying to figure out how to do a voiceover. Crappy microphone so it kept skipping and cutting out… Anyway, I digress ...

https://youtu.be/Ore3xrI_S_g
    While I can understand the logic that a medium attack is stronger and therefore would knock the opponent further back, I still don’t think that’s how it should work.
    First of all it didn’t use to work that way. In the past, whether you finished with a light or a medium, the opponent would always be pushed back the same distance. I don’t remember it being said in any patch notes that this was changed.
    Second it’s just such an inconsistent thing. That slight extra distance that the CPU gets allows it to do either a light/medium attack or, as @Championcritic put it, a micro dash attack. Sure you can parry either one but they require different timing. Block early anticipating a light/medium but get a dash, you take block damage. Block late anticipating the micro dash but get the light/medium instead and you take a combo to the face.
    You could also be fighting someone like Rhino or someone with the mighty charge node (both have abilities that activate with dash attacks) and not know what hit you until it was too late. Again to use my example of my fight with Rhino he went unblockable and hit me thanks to that tiny bit of extra space, which again use to be impossible when the opponent get knocked back the same distance. How am I suppose to react to that? Rhino was the shortest distance away possible from me to allow him to do a dash attack. By the time the unblockable call out pops up I’m already getting hit.
    And third why doesn’t the opponent get pushed further back when you hit their block with a medium? If it’s true that a medium is stronger and therefore pushes the opponent further back then it should do the same thing whenever a medium is used. Whether it’s finishing a combo with a medium, hitting into a block with a medium or ending a combo with a medium while the opponent is against the wall (if the opponent is against the wall then ending a combo with a medium doesn’t create that extra distance that it would if it wasn’t against the wall) the distance created should be the same. So really the only time this extra distance is created is when you want to combo, parry, repeat. Coincidence? I don’t think so. I think this was intentionally added to throw off everyone’s parry timing.
    I completely understand that Kabam doesn’t want us to breeze through the game, which we might be able to do if we could parry consistently like we use to. However I don’t like how shady this feels when a core game mechanic is changed without us being told. If I’m wrong and it was said somewhere then I apologize for the rant, but if I’m right then this should be addressed by Kabam by either saying “This is how it was intended to work. Sorry for not posting anything about the change.” or “This was an unintended bug and we’re going to fix it.” We need transparency.
  • MrKillaChrisMrKillaChris Posts: 113
    WiMak said:

THANK YOU!!! someone else noticed. It is certain champs and has been happening for awhile:
    SL
    X23
    Hood
    Sym supreme
    GR
    To name a few. I made a detailed video a few days ago. First time making one so I’m trying to figure out how to do a voiceover. Crappy microphone so it kept skipping and cutting out… Anyway, I digress ...

https://youtu.be/Ore3xrI_S_g

@Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious @Kabam Lyra @Kabam Porthos
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,106 ★★★★★
    This appears to explain a lot. Thanks for spending the time to document this guys! Hopefully it will be looked into.
  • AmaadAkiraAmaadAkira Posts: 388 ★★★
    Have they addressed this yet? Came back after a year and my parry timing has became terrible, just realized it was due to this. Is this a bug? And if it is, will it be fixed? Don't want to have to learn a whole new style of gameplay to accommodate a potential bug in the game, only for it to be fixed a short while later.
    The list of champs effected has actually increased. I’ve just made mental notes and end combos with light attacks instead of mediums when using the champs (unless they’re against the wall)
    -hood
    -sym Sup
    -x23
    -SL
    -GR
    -iceman
    -WS
    -drax
    -Mordo
    Ghost (this one really doesn’t matter. Nobody does combos with her 😉)

I believe there are more... I can’t remember
  • AmaadAkiraAmaadAkira Posts: 388 ★★★
    Can anyone get a mod to look into this or at least give a response?
    Psylocke is another...
  • MrLovely897MrLovely897 Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Gotta love kabam mods, over 2 weeks and nothing
    Running list:

-Antman
    -Drax
    -Ghost
    -Ghost Rider
    -Guillotine
    -Hood
    -Iceman
    -Mordo
    -Psylocke
    -Star Lord
    -Symbiote Supreme
    -Winter Soldier
    -X-23
  • 4Never4Never Posts: 84
    @SquishyjrThe_4TH Ending combos with light attacks are not the issue according to those posting. Ending a combo in a medium attack creates the problem (for the champions listed)?
    I would definitely be interested to see video of parrying immediately after a medium ending 5 hit combo away from the wall. I can’t seem to do it and tested it A LOT to make the video. And I do say this respectfully… if you have a tip on timing that I’m not finding that would be helpful...?

Honestly, my main motivation on updating this list has less to do with “complaining” and more to do with...
    PSA: IF you are using THESE champs, and want consistency, don’t end with a medium...

But I do think it should be addressed and fixed
    edited July 2019
    @SquishyjrThe_4TH by the way, your tip on hood 10 hit combo is actually very cool. Hood actually seems to have a slightly quicker recovery after a combo allowing you to start your next combo before AI retaliates (if they don’t have a special) it’s clearly not 100% affective but very consistent nonetheless!

I would never use it in AQ, AW, EQ but it is fun in arena 😀