**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Question about using the account on other devices.

AndTavAndTav Posts: 261
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I'm having trouble facing Aarkus on the monthly uncollected mission because of the "bugs" and crashes. My brother-in-law has a better device than mine, but he also has an account, she is very initial, and we're not even in the same alliance. Would it be okay to use his phone?

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,731 ★★★★★
    You wouldn't be playing on anyone else account, and no one else would be playing on yours. But since the person behing the phone can't be detected, you aren't allowed to do that. It would register that your brother is.playing on your account
  • AndTavAndTav Posts: 261
    edited September 2019
    Am I banished for this?
  • Actually, I believe you ARE allowed to play on your OWN account on ANY device (provided the device is not “modified”, etc)
    Now, yes, it can be problematic for Kabam to know who is the person actually doing the playing, so they may question it, but technically it would be allowed.

Just can’t have your brother actually doing the playing during the time that YOU are logged in to your account (in game) while playing on his phone.
  • Oliverb1980Oliverb1980 Posts: 99
    Should be ok. Same as you creating multiple accounts and playing on a single device. As long as it's you who logged in, and you don't share your log in details to your brother in law no violation is made.
  • SparkAlotSparkAlot Posts: 957 ★★★★

You wouldn't be playing on anyone else account, and no one else would be playing on yours. But since the person behing the phone can't be detected, you aren't allowed to do that. It would register that your brother is.playing on your account

Kabam said before that as long as you are playing your own account, you can use any device. Now, how would they know it really is you? They wouldn't really. But, they said it was OK.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,189 ★★★★★
    As long as you're the owner of the Account, you're allowed to play on different devices.
  • You wouldn't be playing on anyone else account, and no one else would be playing on yours. But since the person behing the phone can't be detected, you aren't allowed to do that. It would register that your brother is.playing on your account

No, this is false. The rule is you cannot share accounts. There is no rule that says you cannot share devices with other people, even those who also play the game. The mods have confirmed in the past that this is not prohibited.

Yes, you cannot detect what actual human being is playing on a particular device. This gets into the subject of what Kabam is even looking for when they attempt to detect account sharing. The short answer is Kabam cannot directly detect account sharing, and all the various theories about IP addresses and geo-whatever are all totally wrong. What Kabam is likely looking for is what I would look for, which is not cases of account sharing but specific sequences of data that cannot possibly be explained by two humans playing two different accounts but sharing multiple devices. Generally what happens is two players sharing an account will do something that could be explained without account sharing, then do something else that could be explained without account sharing, but the two things combined cannot be explained without account sharing. And then they are toast.

The security minded people out there will recognize this as an example of traffic analysis, where you have no idea who is talking to who or what anyone is saying, but you can still tell a lot about the relationships between speakers as well as how many actual speakers there are.
  • For those that need a source: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/74997#Comment_74997

The OP basically asked: if they have two devices and they play their account on both devices, and a friend comes over to visit for a while, can the friend temporarily use one of the devices to play their own MCOC account. Technically, this would involve one device being used for two different accounts: the OP, and then the friend.

Kabam's response, quoted in full:

As long as you're both playing on your own accounts, this should be totally fine. Just remember to have your friend log out of your device before he leaves again!

• StarhawkStarhawk Posts: 614 ★★★
    i have 2 devices. my current one and my old one which contains my 2 f2p accounts and my main account. i tried to login to my main account on both without noticing once and couldn't log in to either devices. I thought there was an outage because of it. thankfully I noticed fairly quickly i was trying to login to my main account on both devices. i removed my main account because of that on my old device but every once in a while when i switch between my 2 f2p accounts it switches to my main account for some reason so i try and be careful. would love to know why it doesn't always switch when i logout and then login again. you would think removing the google account from the device would be enough to remove the account from mcoc (it doesnt even show up when i switch which is the weird thing). i may have to just uninstall mcoc at some point and re-install it...just hasn't been worth my time
  • AndTavAndTav Posts: 261
    It really is a confusing subject, and I have never had to do this before. Thank you all for the clarification.
  • Fugitive21Fugitive21 Posts: 221
    I think they ban these is if the originating IP comes from two different countries. If the initial account logs into a US based IP and an hour later from a Euro based IP. Then all of a sudden it flips flops back an hour later.

• I think they ban these is if the originating IP comes from two different countries. If the initial account logs into a US based IP and an hour later from a Euro based IP. Then all of a sudden it flips flops back an hour later.

Nope. First of all, geolocation maps aren't perfect. A few years ago I started getting Google in Chinese because their geolocation accidentally placed our entire office in China. Second of all, VPNs place people all over the place: VPNs are allowed, and they obfuscate where you're located. And third, a lot of players play the game on their cellular data networks and those constantly NAT you to different addresses, not necessarily all of which are geolocated to the same place, because telecom companies have no obligation to use their assigned address blocks in the same place constantly.
  • Hey there, just to confirm, so long as you are the only one playing on the account you created, you're good to go.
This discussion has been closed.