**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Dr Strange & Scarlet Witch will NOT be 5☆ Champs ever...

In one of the last in-game messages, I saw that you said that Dr Strange & Scarlet Witch are not going to be 5☆ champions. So why did you nerf them as if you were planning on making them higher star level champs? Please respond! I'm not trying to be rude here, just want some clarification

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Luismarquez131Luismarquez131 Posts: 164
    How long ago did you see that message?

@420sam , I agree.
  • Options
    SlyCat42SlyCat42 Posts: 500 ★★
    @LocoMotives ,

I thought I did answer that question in the bottom part of my post. It was because they were to good in every part of the game, not just so they couldn't be 5 stars. I believe the 5 star decisions for some of these characters has more to do with how their stats scale. For example, we haven't seen Wolverine because some of their regen numbers are based on health levels and at 5 star rating their HP is really high by comparison of the 4 star version.
  • Options
    SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    edited August 2017
    I think it was because they were the faces of this game but kabam wanted new faces who couldnt beat all their content easily which is reasonable for thor and sw but they destroyed them especially dr strange he was not OP it looked like he was because we never had the champs we have now like hyperion and ghost rider seriously compare his older self to the champs we have now does he seem OP compared to them or good or on par with them?
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessnmostlyharmlessn Posts: 1,387 ★★★★
    IMHO Dr Strange before the second nerf was on par with Dr. Voodoo as he is right now.

Dr. Strange is mainly an arena point and bench warmer now. Voodoo has become the utility knife that Strange was.

• Options
    Mr_OtterMr_Otter Posts: 1,614 ★★★
    IMHO Dr Strange before the second nerf was on par with Dr. Voodoo as he is right now.

Dr. Strange is mainly an arena point and bench warmer now. Voodoo has become the utility knife that Strange was.

Utility CHAINSAW***

With better utility and arguably the best Utility-damage ratio in the game

Add some Inequity into the mix and Voodoo can abuse his Odd combos just as well (of not better) than his Evens as it gives him virtually the same utility with a massive pseudo-armor

And let me also add that Angela and Stark Spider virtually replace Star Lord and Captain Marvel respectively
  • Options
    LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    I was really surprised when stark spidey dropped, didn't figure we'd get a damage machine like that ever again. His damage output is on a level that only some of the gen 1 god tier could ever touch. Add in his evade and Taunt mechanics (and more), he's an amazing champ that would fit in with the golden age of MCOC.

So it makes you wonder about the extensive champion testing when we get champs like him and then carnage a month before. Two at very opposite ends of the damage/utility spectrum.
  • Options
    Hyperion maybe replaces thor in a way?
  • Options
    SupaflyaznSupaflyazn Posts: 75
    edited September 2017
    SlyCat42 wrote: »
    Actually I think they will make Dr. Strange one of the 6 star champions.

Scarlet Witch probably not, if only because her signature ability gets stronger and stronger the higher level she is.

They were both nerfed because they were big "catch all" generalist champions who were good at everything. At one point literally the answer to any challenge in the game was have a 99 sig level Scarlet Witch with a crit team.

Most people were ok with that at the time because if you got lucky and got one of the best champions it meant you could clear content, but it wasn't feasible to keep that up forever and made a large divide between those who got lucky enough to pull a god tier champion and those who didn't. Can you imagine how much farther ahead some players are because they pulled and duped Scarlet Witch back when they were level 20 and hadn't even beat Thanos yet?

My first full R5 AQ team was the exact team they nerfed, Thor, SW and Dr. Strange... so, while I feel for those who did not have these champs, I don't think it means that I should have gotten punished for my luck, either. I spent tons of resources that were more scarce back then just to get them to 5/50. I got NOTHING in return for Kabam nerfing all 3 at the same damn time!!! How's that for your cruel justice?

I posted in the 6* thread that perhaps they need to make the initial 6* roster something more desirable, like a 6* SW in her former glory. It wouldn't throw off the game balance, because it would take at least half a year to get enough shards to form a 6*, and another half a year to be able to rank her, or some ridiculous amount of time... Kabam seems to have lost their grip on reality and what makes this game tick... I have lost a lot of desire lately to play because of this announcement, even though I am lucky enough to be in the top 100 tiered Alliance. I still feel like this has all been a recurring nightmare. They gave me hope with all the Uncollected dailies and uncollected arena crystals, only to burn my wings like Icarus into the Abyss.
    Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on
  • Options
    FAL7ENFAL7EN Posts: 297
    Really no excuse for any champ to be excluded from being a 5 and 6*
  • Options
    @Supaflyazn Why the red text seriously I dont even wanna read that trying to blind me jeez
  • Options
    Slightly better thanks
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,660 Guardian
    SlyCat42 wrote: »
    @LocoMotives ,

I thought I did answer that question in the bottom part of my post. It was because they were to good in every part of the game, not just so they couldn't be 5 stars. I believe the 5 star decisions for some of these characters has more to do with how their stats scale. For example, we haven't seen Wolverine because some of their regen numbers are based on health levels and at 5 star rating their HP is really high by comparison of the 4 star version.

Then they did a poor job of balancing the characters to begin with. They shouldn't have decided that some champs were better (switch, Thor, DD, wolvie...) so they can't be made 5*. That makes close to no sense as they are some of the most popular characters in Marvel lore. If 4* switch proc rate was too high, lower it for 5* version. If wolvie regen too good as 4*, lower the hp regen' for 5* version. If DD evaded too much as 4*, lower his chance as 5* version.

It's not rocket science here :)

It would be helpful to remember that games are developed by groups of people in an often collaborative manner. Decisions are rarely made by fiat, they generally happen by consensus whenever possible.

When I see things like this happen in an MMO it is often the case that the problem revolves around that consensus. I am hypothesizing, I have no direct knowledge, but it is possible that the balancing of Dr. Strange (just picking him as an example) was contentious. Some developers believed he was fine, some believed he needed to be nerfed, some believed he needed a complete overhaul. What ended up happening was a compromise between all parties. That actually makes sense to me when they hit the healing so hard, and were quick to reverse that decision to a degree. The number was fairly arbitrary anyway and was probably done to appease a faction within the developers making the balancing changes that wanted that healing made very small or maybe even taken away.

*If* that happened, and I know it does happen in general, that fight might have been going on for a long time, since long before 12.0 came out. That tension that there was no agreement on whether Strange needed to be changed and if so in what way could be a big factor in deciding not to add him as a higher tier champ. That could be why he isn't a 5* and won't be a 6* champ.

In general many decisions made by MMO development teams can be better understood if you know that many changes are compromises between different people with different ideas, and in fact what happens can sometimes be something *no one* specifically thinks is a good idea, but splits the difference between many other mutually exclusive ideas. And sometimes, the reason why something *doesn't* happen is that someone makes the decision that thing is something no consensus can be formed to do, or the fight itself is simply not worth it, given the endless list of other things they could be working on.
  • Options
    adqqedfyvradqqedfyvr Posts: 463
    6*s pleeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee
  • Options
    KennadoKennado Posts: 991 ★★★
    Can't wait for 6* Luke Cage, Iron Patriot, and Hulkbuster.....
  • Options
    DarthVadidDarthVadid Posts: 395 ★★★
    I think it was because they were the faces of this game but kabam wanted new faces who couldnt beat all their content easily which is reasonable for thor and sw but they destroyed them especially dr strange he was not OP it looked like he was because we never had the champs we have now like hyperion and ghost rider seriously compare his older self to the champs we have now does he seem OP compared to them or good or on par with them?

OMG DS wasn't OP is the most egregious comment I have ever seen in these ridiculous forums. LMGDAO. If you weren't around for block proficiency then I will give you a pass. But DS was the absolute best boss killer in the game for a long time. Not to mention one of the best ways to navigate ROL. He is one of the OG of the game and has been nerfed 3 times including the BP nerf
  • Options
    SupaflyaznSupaflyazn Posts: 75
    edited September 2017
    DarthVadid wrote: »

OMG DS wasn't OP is the most egregious comment I have ever seen in these ridiculous forums. LMGDAO. If you weren't around for block proficiency then I will give you a pass. But DS was the absolute best boss killer in the game for a long time. Not to mention one of the best ways to navigate ROL. He is one of the OG of the game and has been nerfed 3 times including the BP nerf
    100... you're damn straight DS was a Beast. I could use him to clear any and all content with a BP team!! He was a beast in both AQ and AW, and like @DarthVadid said one of if not THE ultimate boss killer!
    Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on
  • Options
    MkdemariaMkdemaria Posts: 119
    Isn't Thor coming as a 5* Feature in November to go along with the movie release? I do miss DS, Thor, and SW for AQ.
  • Options
    Warofgods13514Warofgods13514 Posts: 202
    I still think scarlet witch is good duped with a crit team I still get good use out of her today
  • Options
    Dave_the_destroyerDave_the_destroyer Posts: 981 ★★

Punctuation says hi?
  • Options
    I ranked my DS all the way down to 2 when they nerfed him. Those rank down tickets didn't make up for all the nerfing, but they were great
  • Options
    R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    At this point in the game I don't understand why any champ would be held from a 5* option. I've read the comments above, some good opinions. But DS is weak, so big deal. Scarlet Witch after the nerf is still a top attacker but not to a point where a 5* would cause a conflict in the game. Hyperion will be in the 5* crystal this year. Talk about a power house. His power gain is also better than DS's ever was, IMO. And Stark Spidey is another insane attacker.

With such crazy defenders in the 5* crystals I don't feel any reason to hold back a champ from being in the 5* crystal if the developers are truly looking for a balance. Since the nerf to SW and DS other newer champs have been released that have created the same strong desire for players to add to their roster. Kind of contradicts some of the reasoning for the nerfs that were made.
  • Options
    Evil_TwinEvil_Twin Posts: 66
    Nerfing BW, DS, IF and Thor was not justified. SW was the only one that was truly OP. SW is still pretty good now but certainly not the top gun any more. She could stand a buff on her regen.

Kabam should un-nerf BW, DS, IF and Thor - especially since they have other champs that rival all of these. Yeah and make them 5* and 6*. If you made GP a 5* then there is no reason not to make BW one. If you made DrV a 5* then there is no reason not to make DS a 5*. If you made Hyperion a 5*, then there is no reason not to make Thor a 5*. And while you're at it - Wolverine and WW2 should get into the 5* pool too.

And if you're not going to make SW a 5* or 6* - then totally un-nerf her. That will give some of the lower level players a chance at some of the harder content with a powerful 4* champ. But even still, she was never a panacea for all end game content even at her height.

I think that they going in the right direction with some of the new champs - powerful but more nuanced. So there is now game balance and the nerfs on these champs were overkill.

With 6*s coming out and harder content- nerfs on 4*s seems silly especially if these specific heroes never make it beyond 4*.
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★
    I still think scarlet witch is good duped with a crit team I still get good use out of her today

I agree, but she is frail and a shell of what she used to be. They should have improved her armor and block proficiency a bit when they toned down her regeneration. She was completely unusable after 12.0 but she is situational now. I still use mine for solo quests and occaisionally aq. I wouldn't take her to war unless I had no better options though.