**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

DNA's review of the Boss Rush fights

As one of the Boss Rush fight designers, I thought I would offer my own review of the Boss Rush fights. This isn't a guide to beating the Boss Rush: if you're looking for that there are a lot of very good guides out there in the forums, on the Reddit, and on Youtube. This is more my impressions on how the fights were designed, taking into account any comments the designers made and my own experience with them.

KING GROOT

King Groot was designed by RichtheMan. It is arguably the easiest fight in the Boss Rush, and I believe deliberately so. King Groot is not a particularly dangerous defender, and most of his difficulty comes from his tankiness. If you can't outdamage his healing and giant bag of health he can be annoying to fight, but anything with enough damage will work. His first two buffs are I believe intended to make KG more tricky to fight for newer players with lower rosters or less skilled players overall. Mystic Ward is intended to reduce the opportunities to nullify his heals, and Limber is intended to reduce the effectiveness of Parry over longer fights. Neither of these things is likely to be meaningful to advanced players or players with higher ranked rosters, but would be meaningful for lower players. Honestly, I'm not sure precisely what True Strike really does for the fight.

Everything about this fight tells me that Rich was trying to design a fight that was somewhat challenging for newer players but wasn't overly complicated and wasn't really annoying for anyone higher than the challenge was targeted at. He's a reasonable first fight, except for one thing. For those players that are reasonable skilled, knowledgeable, and have the Willpower mastery, it is a shame he isn't the second fight rather than the first, because you can heal off of King Groot's permanent armor break. That would have been strategically useful in any fight other than the first one. As the first fight, the best you can do is make sure you leave the fight at 100% full health before moving on.

DOMINO

Ah, Domino. Domino was designed by The UMCOC Podcast, represented here on the forums by @Aria_Lerendeair. Aria posted her thoughts on the design on twitter and in other places, here's one of them: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/985344#Comment_985344.

The basic idea seems to have been first, pick a difficult champion defender, then use nodes to eliminate the obvious counter avenues for that champion to make a more difficult champion. And in terms of that overall goal, they succeeded in my opinion. In terms of the actual fight, she's arguably the most challenging defender to actually fight.

The most common criticism of the fight is that it is designed for only one or a few options. That doesn't seem to be the case. Rather, the reverse seems to be true: its designed to *eliminate* a few sets of options, and leaves it to the player to find all the other alternatives. So I personally don't think this criticism is entirely fair. But I will say that in trying to eliminate Ghost and Corvus as the obvious options the design did leave the door open for another one of the top tier go-to options for hard content: Void. Regen + Incinerate = Void. There are lots of other options that work, but the fight seems to literally call for Void. It also seems to be an obvious fight for Mephisto, but I suspect far less people have high rank Mephisto than Void. This can add to the perception it was designed for just one or two options.

To be fair, Void was less optimal in the original design when Domino was sig200: her critical failures made Void very tricky and dangerous to use. Without her awakened ability Void can much more easily spam debuffs with impunity.

If King Groot represented the design aesthetic of making a moderate speed bump, Domino represented the design aesthetic of making a hard fight harder, and taking away half the hard fight options. It is more of an endgame-mindset for designing a challenge, and in that respect I think it is fair. I'm just glad they didn't let us use four nodes, or they probably would have thrown Biohazard in there. Just kidding. Maybe.

QUAKE

In the first community Boss Rush, Dorky Diggity Dave gave us Iceman, because he just loves him some Iceman. And boy did a small segment of the community give him the cold shoulder. This time around, Dave gives us a stun immune Quake, because Dave's gotta be Dave. Dave explained his design on his channel, which everyone should be subscribed to just because. His thought process seems to have roughly paralleled the UMCOC Podcast: pick a good defender, then make them harder. After picking a tricky defender in Quake, then making it harder with debuff immunity, he was given an opportunity to test the fight and concluded that it was a little too hard, and added an interesting counter-intuitive buff: Spite. Spite gives Quake power, but in Quake's case that's something a skilled player can use against Quake. Quake's most challenging features are when she throws heavies, and to a lesser extent when she throws SP1. Giving her power reduces the chances she'll throw heavy and instead throw SP1, and if you can build past that she'll then be more likely to throw SP2. SP2 is easier to avoid, and also doesn't come with the danger of generating aftershocks. If you can reduce or eliminate the thread from aftershocks, the fight becomes much easier.

Personally, I think it is the addition of Spite that turns this fight from just a one-dimensionally hard fight to something genuinely interesting. The design gives an avenue for a knowledgeable and skilled player to try to turn the nodes into an advantage rather than just eat the disadvantages. I think it is the second hardest fight, but also one of the more interesting fights.

INVISIBLE WOMAN

This is my fight. I posted my thought process for the design on the forums here: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/985217. Beyond that I'll just say that judging the fight now on live as objectively as I can, it does what I intended it to do for lower to moderately skilled and progress players, but it is probably too easy for players who understand the fight and have strong rosters. I wanted stronger players to be "rewarded" by being able to use Life Transfer as a benefit, and I was happy to see some very strong players oopsie and get hit in the face, then use LT to save the fight, but I suspect a lot of them just bulldozed it. That's fine, but if I had it to do over and I had more time and options at my disposal, this would be something I would try to address, without making it too hard for the lower players.

SYMBIOTE SUPREME

This fight was designed by Lagacy. Lagacy thinks so highly of the playerbase that he thinks this is a fair fight.

In all seriousness, this design represents a completely different design aesthetic than all the rest. King Groot is a moderate challenge, with nothing strange, weird, random, or particularly threatening. It just presents an above average fight that can be beaten with reasonable skills and average roster. Domino is different in the sense of being much more difficult, but the design follows similar principles: start with a fight of a particular difficulty and then tweak the difficulty higher with the nodes, just turned up to eleven. Quake giveth with spite and it taketh away with debuff immunity. There's a "trick" to the fight, and if you know the trick the fight gets easier.

Symbiote Supreme is all trick. It is a puzzle box fight in which the fight is won or lost before it is fought. You have to study the fight, think about what's happening, and then bring the right counter and use it in the right way to beat the fight. Of course, there will always be exceptions: I'm sure someone right now is demonstrating how to beat the fight with a 2* Iron Patriot. But fundamentally speaking, this fight revolves around three things. First, both sides are going to have a ton of power to use because of power reserve. Second, SS is going to get to SP3 very quickly, and you need to have an answer for that. Three: whatever that thing is, it better not be a buff since SS eats those.

There are two obvious options. One: use a champ that can stun lock. You need to be able to stun lock very, very fast. You have a few seconds at best before SS power gains his way to SP3, because he's going to start the fight at SP2.5. Sometimes he holds his power, and sometimes he doesn't. But if you can stun lock, power reserve can give you unlimited power to keep it up until SS is dead.

Two: use a champ that can power drain. Vision is especially good because (in OG Vision's case) he can use synthesis to gain a bar of power right at the start of the fight. This means you can drain SS immediately, and keep him drained until the fight is over. You still have to worry about dexing because he can still nullify buffs and kill you that way, but at least you aren't eating an SP3 or having to constant evade SP2s.

Sparky, of course, can do both. He can use a heavy at the start of the fight to get SS drained below two bars of power, and then Sparky can stun lock with SP1.

Not everyone likes fights like this, because it can be highly restrictive. This isn't endgame thinking, this is end-of-endgame thinking. It actually isn't a harder fight than say Quake or Domino in my opinion, but it is a completely different kind of game being played here. Lagacy has made a move with his design, and you have to find the correct countermove. The rest is screen tapping.

I'm not anywhere near Lagacy's league in that regard, but to be honest I liked this fight for what it was. It isn't how I would design a fight most of the time, but I can appreciate the thought that went into it.

If I was the devs, maybe put the puzzle box fight first, not last.

TASKMASTER

Taskmaster was designed by Omega and Starfighter. I'm not familiar with those players or their podcast work, but if any fight follows a similar idea as mine it is probably this one. It isn't similar in implementation, but I can see similar wheels turning. They took a champion with an interesting property, in this case Taskmaster who becomes slowly immune to everything. And then they built upon that by adding Empowered Immunity, so that over time his immunity would start acting against the player generating power. And then they added Icarus which is clever because to reset the fury buffs in Icarus you have to use a heavy, which becomes increasingly difficult because Taskmaster eventually becomes stun immune. Taskmaster also has Power Struggle, a node I used to modulate the pace of the fight (and in my case to partially counterbalance Spite).

I think in actual implementation this fight is probably not as interesting as they hoped for. Taskmaster takes a while to build immunity and honestly if you can get past Dave's Quake then Taskmaster becoming stun immune won't seem to be as much of a problem. But I think what really hurts their fight is that it is the last one. Taskmaster starts off easy and gets progressively harder. This means you can just throw your entire roster at him and chip away at him without thinking too hard. This is possible because there are no fights left. If this was the first fight, I think players would have to take his abilities more seriously and try to figure out a way to beat him without dying, which is a much more difficult thing to do for some players, especially those without high rank damage dealers.

RANDOM OBSERVATIONS

Just some things I found interesting.

* I deliberately chose not to use any form of regeneration in my fight, opting instead to use the force field mechanic in Invisible Woman. I was afraid it would be too commonly used. And in fact, three of the six fights have significant regeneration either in the champion itself (King Groot) or the nodes (Domino has permanent 1% regen and Quake has aggression: regeneration). There's nothing wrong with using regen, but I wanted to make sure some of the fights didn't contain it for diversity.

* I also decided to try to avoid using certain champions often considered to be among the nastiest defenders. Looking back at my notes, those champs were Korg, Domino, Void, Thing, and The Champion. I'm actually surprised only one of them actually showed up.

* Halfway through testing before the content went live, I realized the Boss Rush has three female and three male (if you consider King Groot male) defenders. We also have a mix of heroes, villains, mercenaries, and whatever Symbiote Supreme is (I know: Symbiote, but that seems a bit orthogonal to the hero/villain/merc axis). The creators were finding challenging fights all over the place.

* I've been tossing different orders around, but after thinking about the fights for this review, I've settled on a new order. Here's how I might have ordered the fights on the map to be as interesting as possible. Symbiote Supreme, King Groot, Taskmaster, Domino, Invisible Woman, Quake. First the puzzle box, then the easy fight, then the trap fight, then the hard fight, then the moderate healing fight, then the other hard fight.

* On the other hand, this is the "cheapest" order: SS, Domino, Quake, KG, IW, Taskmaster. The difficulty is as frontloaded as possible to make it easier to bail out if you fail.

* And this is the meanest order: KG, TM, IW, Quake, Domino, SS.

Comments

• StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    Very interesting, I enjoyed reading through your thoughts. In my opinion, adding Icarus on Taskmaster made him way, way too easy, but that's mostly because I am an avid Ghost user and with the full quantum trinity, I was doing 5k+ damage on every single hit.
  • I used to honestly have to prep myself to read your comments and replies, but in reading them I have come to enjoy and to look forward to them. Thanks for the run down!
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,045 ★★★★★
    As for ss fight, you can also use a champ who can tank sp3, gp or km - imo easier then vision for sure. The bad part of the fight is how you have to use very specific counter.
  • Aleor said:

As for ss fight, you can also use a champ who can tank sp3, gp or km - imo easier then vision for sure. The bad part of the fight is how you have to use very specific counter.

That is what I was thinking. I use KM for pretty much any sort of content as a main roster, would getting off a quick sp2 be the key for that?
  • Aleor said:

That is what I was thinking. I use KM for pretty much any sort of content as a main roster, would getting off a quick sp2 be the key for that?
    Nope: SS will almost certainly get to SP3 before you get to SP2. The key to using KM in this fight I believe is to use the BPCW synergy. With that synergy KM starts the fight with three indestructible charges. I believe indestructible charges cannot be nullified by SS, as they are not buffs they are passive effects.
  • DragonfeiDragonfei Posts: 260 ★★
    Loved this in-depth write-up!

And yes, you are correct about the initial Void counter in her design when she was duped. Had she kept her sig levels, that would have prevented the obvious use of Void (which I wanted at least limit in some respect), but since we only got one shot at updating champs, going for unduped, rather than dropping her to Sig 20, was the best option.
  • Msyounus1288Msyounus1288 Posts: 221 ★★
    Took me longer to skim through this than to finish the boss rush lol it ain’t that deep. Thought it was boring was looking forward to it was disappointed.
  • Oliverb1980Oliverb1980 Posts: 99
    Best counter I found for sym Supreme was vision with cap iw synergy then pray that ss releases special 2. After that it's game over
  • Chris1212123Chris1212123 Posts: 320
    I found quake to be the most difficult of the rush (AA for domino and starky for SS made them much easier ) I can see the intention behind spite but the first time I tried it quake just kept building up to her s3 so I’m not sure if it was as helpful as intended. But in later runs I did start to get her to release the s2 occasionally for an easy dodge.

I agreed with most of your observations especially about taskmaster he would have been far more difficult if he wasn’t the final champ. I did exactly as you described on most of my runs and just did a moderate amount of damage with each of the champs I had left.

I think any meanest order would have IW first or last as having her in the center for healing was very helpful. In fact if she hadn’t been right after quake I’d have found the rush more difficult as I ate at least one aftershock every time. I think I’d probably struggle more with your preferred order than I would with your meanest.

Great write up it was nice seeing some of the thought behind each node.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    @DNA3000 loved the post and loved the thought that went into the fights. The only fight that made me rethink my team was Domino. Thought I could overpower the regen with Hype and it wasn't happening so I decided to take a R4 AA. I would've liked more fights that made me rethink my team, but I do think y'all nailed it as far as what the target was, and it was fun.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    @DNA3000 : Don't laugh, but I actually found your fight to be the trickiest, because of Cornered.

I like to fight Invisible Woman and slap DOT on her to keep that invisibility in check, and obviously, you weren't having any of that.

I agree with you about Lagacy's fight design. This isn't me being mean or anything; I don't watch the YouTube people hardly at all, but I do know who he is because of his skill level. That dude is a better player than I am, in every way. I freely admit that.

I have an OG Vision, as well -- people who know me at all know I use him all the time, and he's who I used for Quake, your fight and Lagacy's.

But the triple power gain, counting his own...I don't know. I didn't like that. Power reserve made it fine for me, with OG Vision. But that fight gets somewhat nasty for a lot of other roster characters PDQ...as you noted, not everyone has an OG Vision to toss out.

Domino is just a BS character, to me. I nullified the regen with Symbiote Supreme and still was annoyed by the node choice. I would ban that character from Boss Rushes, because of how cheap she is -- they couldn't even activate the Sig because of how cheap the character is.

But I digress.

Thanks for the write-up, and I enjoyed your fight. She clipped me; I admit it
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,045 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Aleor said:

Nope: SS will almost certainly get to SP3 before you get to SP2. The key to using KM in this fight I believe is to use the BPCW synergy. With that synergy KM starts the fight with three indestructible charges. I believe indestructible charges cannot be nullified by SS, as they are not buffs they are passive effects.
    Yes, you'd need that synergy, but also would have to get to sp2 in time, as his sp3 removes all his charges, wich is strange to me, as sp3 is said to be counted as one hit. Also the timing is important for launching your sp2, as you can't dex. I got him down to 40% from full in my second run with 6* r2 km, and then he throwd two sp3 in row, so no one shot yet from me
    Gp, on the other hand, would take some part of damage and you will die to in block damage.
    Those are not the best option, but they work fairly good compared to many others
  • ESF said:

But the triple power gain, counting his own...I don't know. I didn't like that. Power reserve made it fine for me, with OG Vision. But that fight gets somewhat nasty for a lot of other roster characters PDQ...as you noted, not everyone has an OG Vision to toss out.

I should mention that there were two versions of Cornered on the options given to the content creators: a +100% and a +200% version. I didn't specify which one, and I don't recall which one I was thinking of, but the +300% version in the live content was something the devs apparently decided to add based on their own testing of the fight, and it is something I didn't pay a lot of attention to when we were given a chance to test the content.

Also, we were simply given advance chance to run it, in its entirety. So I had to get past both the awakened Domino and the original Quake just to reach IW to test, so I couldn't test as many times as I wanted to. In the future, I think the devs should make some allowances to allow players to test their own fight directly. Heck I was congratulating myself just for finishing the thing in its original state, then realized a) I couldn't brag about it to anyone, and b) I forgot to record the run.

At least Lagacy had to get past almost all of us to test that Symbiote Supreme, so there's that.
  • DNA3000 said:

Aleor said:

Ooooh ok thank you! I need to reorganize my team for this rush anyways so sweet!
  • Took me longer to skim through this than to finish the boss rush lol it ain’t that deep. Thought it was boring was looking forward to it was disappointed.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy the Boss Rush fights. It is difficult bordering on impossible to make content that everyone will enjoy since the players comprise a huge range of both progress level and preferences, but I think we all did a reasonable job trying to address as wide a range of players as possible within the general area of the challenge target.

It can often seem like there's not a lot of thought put into the content, especially when it seems like there are relatively easy ways to either defeat it or overpower it, but it is often the case that far more time is put into the design of content than it takes to actually play it. The content designers can speak for themselves (and in some cases they have to some degree) about the thought they put into their fights, but I thought I would offer my own take, looking as a designer myself, on how I think the other fights were put together and what it tells me about the designers' thought process, for those interested in such things. I think if nothing else it is instructive to see how six people (or groups of people) could be given the same basic instruction and not just generate six completely different fights, but more importantly interpret that instruction in six completely different ways,
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,552 Guardian
    edited September 2019

The only fight that made me rethink my team was Domino.

The original version had me rethinking my life.
  • Psy26Psy26 Posts: 159
    Hey DNA, I share your opinion and I've read your post about creating your IW, you nailed it and it was interesting yet not so easy fight that I really enjoyed, kudos for that. Took your title without hesitation ;)
  • Psy26 said:

Hey DNA, I share your opinion and I've read your post about creating your IW, you nailed it and it was interesting yet not so easy fight that I really enjoyed, kudos for that. Took your title without hesitation ;)

You're very welcome.

It is probably for the best that I didn't know there would be personalized titled when I designed my fight. Had I known, I might have made a fight even cheesier than Lagacy, just so I could make my title "The Twisted DNA."
  • Monk1Monk1 Posts: 743 ★★★★
    Thanks for the interesting write up...

As an aegon user it was almost cheating to put KG first, give him a 120 combo straight out the gate meaning quake and IW fights were beyond easy as he is hitting so hard.

SS was interesting but even at r4 Doc Oc handed him with no issue and taskmaster was, as described, too easy cause he’s dead before immunity kicks in.
  • Monk1 said:

Thanks for the interesting write up...

As an aegon user it was almost cheating to put KG first, give him a 120 combo straight out the gate meaning quake and IW fights were beyond easy as he is hitting so hard.

SS was interesting but even at r4 Doc Oc handed him with no issue and taskmaster was, as described, too easy cause he’s dead before immunity kicks in.

Interesting. I didn't consider King Groot would be an especially great way to ramp up Aegon on this map.

Star rating almost doesn't matter on the SS fight, because it is only a very tiny exaggeration to say that if you're getting hit at all, you're probably already dead and just don't know it yet. What matters is can you either stop his power or stun lock him so he can't act at all, basically right at the start of the fight. In a weird way, SS actually has a wide range of options in one dimension. Only a few champs work, but almost every star version of that champ works if you play skillfully enough. That's true to a certain extent for every fight, but I think it is especially true for this one.
  • Your champion IW woman was easiest for me. Quake and sym supreme most difficult. Except Domino, I used 4star Aegon for all fights. Using King Groot, I built Aegon's combo meter though he almost killed all my champions. For Domino, I used Archangel with 2 lvl 1 revives.
    For Quake, i took benefit of Aegon's combo meter. One or two 5hit combo before i die, revive and repeat till she was dead.
    On Quake, by dying and reviving I built high combo meter, so IW was the easiest fight and only fight I didn't die/revived.
    For SS, again I used the same strategy of combo die, revive.
    Taskmaster was also easy fight. Used Archangel and Aegon.

As IW was the easiest fight, I chose your title The Invisible DNA.
  • Thi101Thi101 Posts: 808 ★★★
    Loved this post, @DNA3000

I just wish I had a good counter to Domino, but none of my champs could do much on her ._.

I didn’t get to your IW fight, but it sounds like the one I would have more fun doing...
    You read my idea for a boss rush fight, right? Power Shield/Struggle Magik? You gave your feed back, but how do you think this one would work out on the boss rush? You think it would be fun or boring?
  • DPXFistheGOATDPXFistheGOAT Posts: 727 ★★★
    Idk who decides on the order of the fights, but the IW fight was placed at the perfect spot imo right after 2 grueling matches
  • Thi101 said:

You read my idea for a boss rush fight, right? Power Shield/Struggle Magik? You gave your feed back, but how do you think this one would work out on the boss rush? You think it would be fun or boring?

Every fight had a range of players for which the fight was "interesting." I happen to think mine was the wider one, but even so below a certain level of progress you couldn't break through IW's force field and above a certain level you could just steam roll her. In between the two, the fight was "interesting."

I think this fight would have been one of the more narrow ones, mostly because of Limbo. If you keep Magik awakened, this would be a very tough fight below a certain tier of progress because unless you have the right counter Limbo is going to vaporize your entire team. But if you unawaken her, then above a certain tier of progress you'll probably be able to destroy Magik fast enough with a power shield-boosted special so as to ignore her quirky abilities.

If the Boss Rush was targeted at Cavalier-class players, I think this fight would be easier to balance for that type of player because we could presume high skill and strong roster, awaken Magik, and let the chips fall where they may. in that tier of Boss Rush, this would probably be a moderate difficulty fight as designed.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★
    edited September 2019
    Surprised you didn’t mention Gwenpool as an option for the Sym Supreme fight.
    I was able to solo him with my rank5 5* GP

• MikeHock said:

At the time I wrote the original post, I recall awakened Gwenpool being thrown out as an option for the SS fight on the subreddit using plot armor to tank the SP3, but I hadn't actually seen someone do it and I wasn't sure if it was a proven option or only a theoretical one. Did you upload the fight anywhere?
  • World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,542 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

MikeHock said:

At the time I wrote the original post, I recall awakened Gwenpool being thrown out as an option for the SS fight on the subreddit using plot armor to tank the SP3, but I hadn't actually seen someone do it and I wasn't sure if it was a proven option or only a theoretical one. Did you upload the fight anywhere?
    Nope, no video but I beat him a few times with Gwenpool. Another alliance member used GP also.