**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Marvel Contest of Champions shouldn't need data to play

Now I understand that there are aspects of the game like alliance war or dungeons or chatting that need a connection to the internet.
But there are also many, many important aspects of the game where it isn't needed such as story quests, arena, Meqs, that definitely do not need an internet connection to complete. The energy is based on timers, boosts are stored and can be activated anytime, arena matches are already planned based around some algorithm, why can't these be done without a data connection.
How hard would it be to lock a few parts of the game where data is needed when you don't have data and increase the number of places or times people can play the game.
I really think that it will help the community in total.
Idk much about coding or anything tho, if anyone knows why those aspects of the game that need internet, plz comment so I can understand. :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    solopolosolopolo Posts: 883 ★★★
    I'm pretty sure one of the reasons is the game being set to an online clock so that people can't turn on airplane mode and alter the time on their devices to give themselves free energy/arena resets, like people do with so many other games. There are probably multiple other reasons but this is the only one I know of.
  • Options
    AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,266 ★★★★★
    Connection is required for syncing (making sure you're only playing on one device at a time and such), as well as downloading the proper fight settings. Arena, story, daily, etc. all have different settings. It's better to require connection than trying to store everything in your device, which would slow you down and give you another reason to complain.
  • Options
    JohnLocke117JohnLocke117 Posts: 500 ★★★
    Like others have said,
    Mcoc is server based,i.e, requires a data connection as your account save progress is saved on servers rather than your phone. This makes it almost impossible for you to alter your account save file (you could get unlimited free units, free shards, energy, crystals if it wasn't). Mcoc would have been over a lot earlier if it wasn't online.
  • Options
    NojokejaymNojokejaym Posts: 3,912 ★★★★★
    All sounds like money is the reason to me
  • Options
    AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,266 ★★★★★
    If money was the reason, they should charge everyone for server usage.
  • Options
    JohnLocke117JohnLocke117 Posts: 500 ★★★

All sounds like money is the reason to me

I can't see money being the reason, ftp players don't have to spend a penny.
  • Options
    Staying synced is key!
  • Options
    rvcubing said:

Now I understand that there are aspects of the game like alliance war or dungeons or chatting that need a connection to the internet.
    But there are also many, many important aspects of the game where it isn't needed such as story quests, arena, Meqs, that definitely do not need an internet connection to complete. The energy is based on timers, boosts are stored and can be activated anytime, arena matches are already planned based around some algorithm, why can't these be done without a data connection.

In fact, they can. I can walk into an elevator and lose connection in the middle of a fight, and the fight keeps on going - up to a point anyway.

The problem is that things like map progress and rewards happen on the servers because the servers keep your game progress state not your device for reasons others have mentioned: to prevent cheating or manipulation in particular.

So while it seems like there are parts of the game that don't require connections to the server, virtually all of them do in a practical sense. Your phone doesn't contain an arena match up database so you can't find matches without a connection to the server. Your phone isn't allowed to generate rewards so once any fight on a map completes you can't get XP or gold or anything else without a connection to the servers. You can't move on a map because you can't resolve your current fight, you can't check for hidden rewards or ambushes, or any other map state. You can't really do anything much before you immediately run into a road block that requires a server connection. About the only thing you could theoretically do without the servers is duel your own account for no rewards over and over again. Assuming the game client cached your game account data, which it doesn't.
  • Options
    Anyone having trouble with there champions doing a heavy attack on there own? Then when you want to do a heavy attack you can't....... Mine does it every now and then
  • Options
    Please message me if you know. I got a new Motorola edge 2022 phone. I don't think that's the issue. I had a Motorola G play and it did fine. Could it be because of bad Internet or WiFi connection?