**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

A possible solution to the unfairness of cheating, losing points and fighting in a lower tier.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    LegendJRG wrote: »
    Unless they start losing in which case they drop to whatever th
    It's not at all, really. The point is they're cheating to earn it and get to where they are. That's what needs to be rectified. Unfortunately, in the current system, that includes War Rating and that affects Matchmaking. I'm not okay with the idea that cheating allows them to make their way up the Tiers through earning Rating, and I am definitely not okay with the idea of them keeping that position in lieu of bad Matches, as collateral damage. They didn't earn it if they got there illegally.

What you are giving them as punishment is easy, item free wars with a fast path back to where they were at the expense of lower alliances who get massacred. How can you not see that?

I didn't say I was arguing for the current system. I said I don't support allowing them to maintain their position within the current setup.

That only leaves us with banning them, as your opposition to the only other solutions seems clear. I’m not ok with that when there are guys I know for sure in top alliances not cheating who would be banned. Also leads to super scummy stuff at the top like whales literally paying players to get caught so their competition gets banned. That will happen and needs to be avoided, docking their points severely enough that they can’t recover to their original placing or anywhere near is the only practical solution. That leaves players who didn’t cheat the chance to leave and join other top alliances if they wish.

Well, I've outlined a number of suggestions on the Forum that don't involve banning the entire Ally, or allowing them to keep their position just to avoid Matches. In any event, none of my suggestions involved banning, although if I did support it, it would be on an individual basis. Meaning the parties guilty, not the Ally, followed by appropriate adjustments.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    It's not at all, really. The point is they're cheating to earn it and get to where they are. That's what needs to be rectified. Unfortunately, in the current system, that includes War Rating and that affects Matchmaking. I'm not okay with the idea that cheating allows them to make their way up the Tiers through earning Rating, and I am definitely not okay with the idea of them keeping that position in lieu of bad Matches, as collateral damage. They didn't earn it if they got there illegally.

What you are giving them as punishment is easy, item free wars with a fast path back to where they were at the expense of lower alliances who get massacred. How can you not see that?

I didn't say I was arguing for the current system. I said I don't support allowing them to maintain their position within the current setup.

That only leaves us with banning them, as your opposition to the only other solutions seems clear. I’m not ok with that when there are guys I know for sure in top alliances not cheating who would be banned. Also leads to super scummy stuff at the top like whales literally paying players to get caught so their competition gets banned. That will happen and needs to be avoided, docking their points severely enough that they can’t recover to their original placing or anywhere near is the only practical solution. That leaves players who didn’t cheat the chance to leave and join other top alliances if they wish.

Well, I've outlined a number of suggestions on the Forum that don't involve banning the entire Ally, or allowing them to keep their position just to avoid Matches.

Not that I've seen that are workable. For example:
    My suggestion is actually to have another system altogether for Matchmaking. There are a number of reasons for this, including Points Reductions and Tanking. There should be a system in place that cannot be manipulated by Off-Season, and doesn't have any adverse effects from punishment.

This is not a suggestion. Which is to say, this is as much of a suggestion as this one is: "My suggestion is to keep the current system and eliminate your problems with the current system."
  • Yet another thread derailed by one person spamming the forum and no action seems to be taken at all.

There’s actually a really meaningful conversation to be had here and instead it’s been warped yet again to be about one player who isn’t even affected. That’s really disappointing to see yet again.

I would ask that kabam look into this system where groups who are lower get punished for others cheating ways, being paired up against them in gold and losing through no fault of their own. I would also ask that they review their policy of not telling anyone including the player why they are getting semi banned/permabanned, or letting the alliance leader know so they can take care of it and have some window of time they can take action so everyone else isn’t affected. The levers of fairness all around these issues seem super out of whack still, and for this to be such a dominant and driving force in the game now (alliance wars and seasons) I think using the same system and cheating rules from before it started is weird and backward. Really hoping kabam can hear the players including those at the top and a lot of content creators who are calling for these common sense changes.
  • Palito_DiazPalito_Diaz Posts: 51
    edited October 2018
    Is it possible that cheating alliances simply just doesn't get the season rewards in the end? They can keep the points and ratings, just not the rewards.
    I would ask that kabam look into this system where groups who are lower get punished for others cheating ways, being paired up against them in gold and losing through no fault of their own. I would also ask that they review their policy of not telling anyone including the player why they are getting semi banned/permabanned, or letting the alliance leader know so they can take care of it and have some window of time they can take action so everyone else isn’t affected.

All I can say is that I've brought up both topics with Kabam directly more than once, and while I cannot say what if anything they might do about either, I know they are listening and thinking about it. They are aware of the fact that players are concerned about both issues.
    DNA3000 wrote: »

Well, I've outlined a number of suggestions on the Forum that don't involve banning the entire Ally, or allowing them to keep their position just to avoid Matches.

My suggestion is actually to have another system altogether for Matchmaking. There are a number of reasons for this, including Points Reductions and Tanking. There should be a system in place that cannot be manipulated by Off-Season, and doesn't have any adverse effects from punishment.

This is not a suggestion. Which is to say, this is as much of a suggestion as this one is: "My suggestion is to keep the current system and eliminate your problems with the current system."

That wasn't the actual suggestion.
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,142 ★★★★★

Can you repost it then? The suspense is killing me
    Snizzbar wrote: »

I know that's flippant, but I'll elaborate more.
    There are a number of ideas I've thrown out on the subject of Rating alterations. Mostly that stem from separating Off-Season from Seasons. Too much manipulation is taking place from Tanking, and the Matchmaking in general is all over the place. Simply put, Season progress stays within Seasons. Another suggestion I made is to incorporate Prestige somehow into the Matchmaking process. It's already used for AQ, so there's less possibility of altering it by selling. In terms of punishments, I've suggested temporary and/or permanent Season Suspensions for people caught cheating. This may or may not also be applied to entire Allies to avoid having scapegoats. You get caught, you sit it out. I also suggested the idea of freezing Season Points and allowing people to Rank as they fall after being caught. I wouldn't even be opposed to banning people caught. None of my suggestions involve people keeping their position, as the current system is performance-based in terms of War Rating. Either way you look at it, I'm hard-and-fast. If you cheated to earn the War Rating and get to, or maintain Tiers, you don't deserve to stay there. You didn't earn it fairly. I'm not comfortable with the idea of allowing people to stay where they're at just to avoid people coming up against them. All aspects need to be adjusted in order to call it retribution.
    I don't understand your fixation on War Rating.
    War Rating = Tier.
    Tier x Season Points = Placement.
    Placement = Rewards.
    Take away either the Points or the Placement and War Rating means nothing.
    I don't understand your fixation on War Rating.
    War Rating = Tier.
    Tier x Season Points = Placement.
    Placement = Rewards.
    Take away either the Points or the Placement and War Rating means nothing.

It doesn't mean nothing. It's earned through Wins. It also determines the Matches. It's the result of winning Wars. If the Wars are not won legally, they don't deserve to keep it. Ergo, they don't belong in the Tier they're in because that Tier is related to the Rating.
    Also, if they have to cheat to get there and keep it, they don't belong there to begin with.
  • Clinton2111Clinton2111 Posts: 130
    Also, if they have to cheat to get there and keep it, they don't belong there to begin with.

I think you fail to understand that those guys cheat to go from the lower spots to the higher spots in master. None of them cheat to skip entire tiers. They want the highest spots there because they know how good the rewards. With their rosters and skill they earned the master bracket so it doesn't make any sense dropping them to the lower brackets so they can steamroll the small guys and eventually make it back up there. Just keep them matching in the master brackets but avoid giving them points and rewards.
    edited October 2018

I think you fail to understand that those guys cheat to go from the lower spots to the higher spots in master. None of them cheat to skip entire tiers. They want the highest spots there because they know how good the rewards. With their rosters and skill they earned the master bracket so it doesn't make any sense dropping them to the lower brackets so they can steamroll the small guys and eventually make it back up there. Just keep them matching in the master brackets but avoid giving them points and rewards.

Actually, it's been an ongoing problem. Only recently have they been coming down harder on people for it. I'm willing to venture that they haven't just started it to bump ahead a few spots. They've been cheating a long time. At least a good portion of Allies being dinged. As far as I'm concerned, cheating is cheating. Seasons or not. If you're cheating to get where you are, you deserve the full punishment. There's this whole idea that people are just trying to bump ahead because of Seasons and they normally belong there. I'm afraid I believe it's much deeper than that. It's been a long-term thing for a good number of Allies.
  • SupermanojSupermanoj Posts: 87
    edited October 2018

Actually, it's been an ongoing problem. Only recently have they been coming down harder on people for it. I'm willing to venture that they haven't just started it to bump ahead a few spots. They've been cheating a long time. At least a good portion of Allies being dinged. As far as I'm concerned, cheating is cheating. Seasons or not. If you're cheating to get where you are, you deserve the full punishment. There's this whole idea that people are just trying to bump ahead because of Seasons and they normally belong there. I'm afraid I believe it's much deeper than that. It's been a long-term thing for a good number of Allies.

So when Lance Armstrong got caught cheating and banned, if instead he was demoted to only participating in amateur races you mean it's fair on the people that competed at that level to go up against him? Cheating to gain an edge amongst your playing equals does not mean you are incapable of performing at a high level. So for a person/team of that calibre to be pitched against a team that hasn't cheated but is not at that level yet does not constitute a fair match for that unlucky opponent. You focus on the punishment for the cheater and fail to acknowledge the knock on effect it has on the people caught in its byproduct.

I think what GW doesn't understand or can't comprehend is that the cheating alliances that lose War Rating are not being matched against alliances they deserve to be matched against; rather, they are being matched against alliances that are so far below them that they are wrecking them. This is the unfairness that Kabam seems to be sweeping under the rug and needs to be fixed.
  • UppercutUppercut Posts: 158
    Have you noticed some of these docked alliances just moved to shell alliances with higher war rating right after season was over yesterday? From 2300 to 2800 war rating overnight. Not bad

There are a number of ideas I've thrown out on the subject of Rating alterations. Mostly that stem from separating Off-Season from Seasons. Too much manipulation is taking place from Tanking, and the Matchmaking in general is all over the place. Simply put, Season progress stays within Seasons. Another suggestion I made is to incorporate Prestige somehow into the Matchmaking process. It's already used for AQ, so there's less possibility of altering it by selling. In terms of punishments, I've suggested temporary and/or permanent Season Suspensions for people caught cheating. This may or may not also be applied to entire Allies to avoid having scapegoats. You get caught, you sit it out. I also suggested the idea of freezing Season Points and allowing people to Rank as they fall after being caught. I wouldn't even be opposed to banning people caught.

Most of these suggestions have nothing whatsoever to do with the problems being discussed. Of the ones that are actually on the subject, freezing season points seems nonsensical, as it is grossly inferior to simply docking points. Seasonal suspensions and banning are things pretty much everyone has suggested multiple times. And incorporating prestige into match making perpetuates the problems intrinsic in matching by alliance rating, which already cause all sorts of match making problems that Kabam introduced when they went to two-criteria match making. It is the less stupid version of a stupid idea.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    I don't think AW cheating/colluding/TOS violations will end until Kabam actually does permanently ban players from the game for those violations. One permanent ban could be enough, there's no way to know. MCOC is driven by the prestige race, AQ starting prestige drives T2AC rewards which drive ranking up 5*s to r4 and r5. Missing out on AW Seasons rewards isn't a big deal anymore because Kabam has started offering T5BC shards deals.

Many players who've violated TOS all 4 seasons of AW are close to having their 5th 5/65 champion. Once they do they could stop playing for months, then start playing again and be right where they left off because we're months away from T5CC being added to the game. I would be thrilled to be wrong about all of this, and I hope I am.
    I don't think AW cheating/colluding/TOS violations will end until Kabam actually does permanently ban players from the game for those violations.

I wish I could disagree, but I believe the psychology of the situation is such that the people doing this feel justified in doing it, and that means conventional punishment will have almost no deterrent effect. They've probably incorporated detection and punishment itself as simply a part of the meta game: something to be beaten and not avoided.

The problem is that it is a very difficult problem to permanently ban a person from an F2P game, particularly one willing to cheat to get what they want. If you ban my account and I have to create a new one, I've been set back years. I might not go through the trouble. But if you ban someone who feels justified in cheating, I suspect they will feel justified in cheating their way to rebuilding a new account as well. That's a non-trivial problem to fully solve.
  • Hort4Hort4 Posts: 494 ★★★
    I haven’t read through all the posts so might have been brought up. I don’t know why they can’t dock points to move down from platinum to gold for example but not dock the war rating so they still have to fight the higher tier opponents. It penalizes them but also doesn’t make it easier for them on their next match ups.
  • ScottryanScottryan Posts: 464 ★★★
    How about they just remove your seasons points if you cheat. Outside of seasons you could use a sort of point debt where you start the season with negative points for cheating in the off season. Ez pz. Only those cheating will be punished and they wont drop down tiers forcing lower alliances to fight them and lose.
  • Red_barronRed_barron Posts: 28
    edited October 2018
    Also they need to look at there “slap on the wrist” policy, I won’t name but we all know one big alliance has been caught the last 3 series so the punishment is having no effect on them. Dock the points only ( with a higher increase ) and ban the cheaters for the whole Of that season and if they get caught again ban them for that season and the next and no drop in war rating
  • ScottryanScottryan Posts: 464 ★★★
    Red_barron wrote: »
    Also they need to look at there “slap on the wrist” policy, I won’t name but we all know one big alliance has been caught the last 3 series so the punishment is having no effect on them. Dock the points only ( with a higher increase ) and ban the cheaters for the whole Of that season and if they get caught again ban them for that season and the next, still deduct the points from the alliance but increase the amount and no drop in war rating

Wonder what alliance you could be talking of?? Since you didnt name then i have no clue, lol. Spenders will always get better treatment cuz kabam is greedy. Would love to see things change tho

There are a number of ideas I've thrown out on the subject of Rating alterations. Mostly that stem from separating Off-Season from Seasons. Too much manipulation is taking place from Tanking, and the Matchmaking in general is all over the place. Simply put, Season progress stays within Seasons. Another suggestion I made is to incorporate Prestige somehow into the Matchmaking process. It's already used for AQ, so there's less possibility of altering it by selling. In terms of punishments, I've suggested temporary and/or permanent Season Suspensions for people caught cheating. This may or may not also be applied to entire Allies to avoid having scapegoats. You get caught, you sit it out. I also suggested the idea of freezing Season Points and allowing people to Rank as they fall after being caught. I wouldn't even be opposed to banning people caught.

Most of these suggestions have nothing whatsoever to do with the problems being discussed. Of the ones that are actually on the subject, freezing season points seems nonsensical, as it is grossly inferior to simply docking points. Seasonal suspensions and banning are things pretty much everyone has suggested multiple times. And incorporating prestige into match making perpetuates the problems intrinsic in matching by alliance rating, which already cause all sorts of match making problems that Kabam introduced when they went to two-criteria match making. It is the less stupid version of a stupid idea.

They were ideas. Freezing their position is a solution because under the current system, they receive an infraction and continue to compete. Banning has been thrown out, but I'm the only one to my knowledge that has put forth suspending their Seasons participation. Rating may have been used, but Prestige is already a mechanic used in the game and would ensure less waving of Matches, if used within similar ranges. Honestly, you question my suggestions then when I elaborate, you raise a leg to them. Wouldn't it be simpler just to accept that we disagree? I'm not going to support the suggestion put forth, so we might as well leave it at that.
    Hort4 wrote: »
    I haven’t read through all the posts so might have been brought up. I don’t know why they can’t dock points to move down from platinum to gold for example but not dock the war rating so they still have to fight the higher tier opponents. It penalizes them but also doesn’t make it easier for them on their next match ups.

It isn't that they can't, it is that the intent was almost certainly to apply an additional penalty that would cost the alliance in terms of season multiplier and per war rewards that they would have to "work off" through competition. It just has very unfortunate side effects that they apparently did not foresee and at the moment they haven't decided to alter.
  • Lt_Magnum_1Lt_Magnum_1 Posts: 639 ★★
    Deduct all points and rewards gained from 🚫 activity. Repeat alliances should be put in a doghouse bracket, which prohibits them from getting into any season rewards.