**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Expert and Epic trial difficulties

2»

Comments

• MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    MaatMan wrote: »
    also @DNA3000 i am not talking about balancing it to a particular player or players skill set / roster.
    act 4 has a set difficulty.
    act 5.1 and 5.2 have set difficulties
    act 5.3 and 5.4 have set difficulties.
    they clearly have a design.
    the EQ difficulties should be tailored to match one and not tinkered with.

therefore regardless of ur skill or your roster.
    if you find act 4 hard masters will be a b***h
    if you find 5.2 easy, masters will easy.
    if you find 5.3 hard, UC will challenge you.
    if you find 5.4 easy, UC will be easy with the occasional exception

if you find 5.4 and UC easy, that is where Elders difficulty will come in and challenge the bejeezus out of you.

But as I said, that's simply impossible. The only way this could possibly work is if "regardless of skill or roster" everyone perceived difficulty identically. But they don't. And difficulty is not a linear thing. I could find Act 4 easy while you find it hard. That doesn't mean I will *always* find everything easier than you. It is entirely possible that for some new content you'd find it easy and I would find it hard. That's actually not only possible, it is *desirable* in any game trying to generating interesting content.

This is completely separate from the fact that for any given single player, that player's perception of difficulty is a moving target, because their skill and roster and game experience keeps changing.

I'm setting aside whether I agree with your boundary conditions (I don't think I do) because I don't think those are even achievable in theory, regardless of what those boundary conditions are.

but i am not talking bout perception here.
    not a bout percieved difficulty.
    i am talking bout the creation and the structure.

yes some people find act 5.4 easier thans others
    some find it harder than others.
    but it has a set difficulty.
    it has
    champs of xxxx Pi
    it has xx # of nodes per fight.
    it has nodes of xxxx complexity.
    giving it a difficulty rating of xxxxx

for someone xxxxx may be easy while for others it may be hard.
    that is not wat i am saying.

what i am saying is that epic should match along side xxxxx not xxx - xxxxxxxxxxxx depending on your RNG of the champs you face
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    also @DNA3000 i am not talking about balancing it to a particular player or players skill set / roster.
    act 4 has a set difficulty.
    act 5.1 and 5.2 have set difficulties
    act 5.3 and 5.4 have set difficulties.
    they clearly have a design.
    the EQ difficulties should be tailored to match one and not tinkered with.

therefore regardless of ur skill or your roster.
    if you find act 4 hard masters will be a b***h
    if you find 5.2 easy, masters will easy.
    if you find 5.3 hard, UC will challenge you.
    if you find 5.4 easy, UC will be easy with the occasional exception

if you find 5.4 and UC easy, that is where Elders difficulty will come in and challenge the bejeezus out of you.

But as I said, that's simply impossible. The only way this could possibly work is if "regardless of skill or roster" everyone perceived difficulty identically. But they don't. And difficulty is not a linear thing. I could find Act 4 easy while you find it hard. That doesn't mean I will *always* find everything easier than you. It is entirely possible that for some new content you'd find it easy and I would find it hard. That's actually not only possible, it is *desirable* in any game trying to generating interesting content.

This is completely separate from the fact that for any given single player, that player's perception of difficulty is a moving target, because their skill and roster and game experience keeps changing.

I'm setting aside whether I agree with your boundary conditions (I don't think I do) because I don't think those are even achievable in theory, regardless of what those boundary conditions are.

but i am not talking bout perception here.
    not a bout percieved difficulty.
    i am talking bout the creation and the structure.

yes some people find act 5.4 easier thans others
    some find it harder than others.
    but it has a set difficulty.
    it has
    champs of xxxx Pi
    it has xx # of nodes per fight.
    it has nodes of xxxx complexity.
    giving it a difficulty rating of xxxxx

I'm sure this sounds straight forward to you, and I don't think I can convince you otherwise, but I've actually designed difficulty systems in live MMOs, and all I can say is you can ask for it, but you cannot get it. Outside of this discussion, people are constantly pointing out that PI is not a good judge of difficulty of a champion, and the nodes are wildly different in how they affect combat. In fact, depending on the skill of the player a node like Bane can be a *benefit* rather than a deficit node. Any attempt to say "adding Bane increases difficulty by X" ends up being completely random and arbitrary.

I'll go farther. I will bet anything that if we wave a magic wand and brainwash all Kabam developers to create a system like this and then *assert* to the players that the difficulty of event A is comparable or identical to event B because of this system, the players would be laughing in their faces and explicitly commenting on how they were completely brain dead, thinking such a system had any chance at all of hitting anywhere within a million miles of the mark. Completely separate from the question of whether this is even possible, I can also guarantee no one would trust it because no one would perceive it to actually work.

It is important to mention that this is a fundamental part of game development you would simply be forced to accept to function in a company. You might believe difficulty is "computable" but the company you work for will have a definition of difficulty virtually built into the walls of the cubicles that says "difficulty is something we measure: if 30% of the players complete A and 25% of the players complete B, then B is more difficult. The fact that you think B 'should be' less difficult because of [fill in the blank] just means you're wrong." In so many words, I've had this conversation multiple times.

In other words, you can ask a game developer like Kabam to do what you're suggesting, but what I'm saying is you're basically speaking a foreign language they do not speak.