**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why do people think Iceman can easily tank a SP3?

FineDogFineDog Posts: 403 ★★★
I finally got my hands on an Iceman after all this time, and I immediately ranked him up, having heard all the good reviews about him. I was especially interested in his ability to tank a SP3 with his Ice Armor. Imagine my disappointment when the opponent, like almost every character in the game, used a SP3 that had multiple strikes and the first one broke the Ice Armor and the rest of them broke the Ice Man. Are there really that many characters with single-source Special 3 attacks that this is a big selling point for Iceman?

Comments

• GamerGamer Posts: 10,138 ★★★★★
    FineDog wrote: »
    I finally got my hands on an Iceman after all this time, and I immediately ranked him up, having heard all the good reviews about him. I was especially interested in his ability to tank a SP3 with his Ice Armor. Imagine my disappointment when the opponent, like almost every character in the game, used a SP3 that had multiple strikes and the first one broke the Ice Armor and the rest of them broke the Ice Man. Are there really that many characters with single-source Special 3 attacks that this is a big selling point for Iceman?
    ICE amore dont brok one multiple sp1 that why sp3 is count as one sucse
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    @FineDog are you sure you had ice armor up? Who were you fighting? When used correctly he doesn't take much damage from L3s
  • Sixshot1Sixshot1 Posts: 459 ★★
    Yeah he can take a full l3 no matter the hits. However, champions that nullify with their sp3, like magik, will deal full damage.
  • DoctorJDoctorJ Posts: 842 ★★★
    Because he can? 🤔🤔
  • Cranmer00Cranmer00 Posts: 527 ★★
    Because he can... the only thing I think sp3 don’t work for... maybe a glitch or dunno.. seems like my Magneto takes more dmg from multi hit sp3s.

Icemans works though

Ghost- the walking synergy cheat code, can tank a sp3 while taking no dmg while phased
  • axelelf_1axelelf_1 Posts: 775 ★★★
    Did you have your ice armor up? If you used your sp2, were parried, or got armor broke, he gets full sp3 damage
  • MaatManMaatMan Posts: 958 ★★★
    it could be you were hit by a sp3 that nulifies ice armor.Z

it would help if you gave info as to wat happened....
  • SmokieisgodSmokieisgod Posts: 104
    People who effect ability accuracy can effect this I often this when fighting black widow.
  • SmokieisgodSmokieisgod Posts: 104
    ice armor is either on or it isn't, there's no reduction if it's on. If it's prevented from turning on or about to reform, that's another thing, but if it's on already it's only going away with a strong enough hit.[/quote]

That would be true if it was his signature ability
  • GamerGamer Posts: 10,138 ★★★★★
    Sixshot1 wrote: »
    Yeah he can take a full l3 no matter the hits. However, champions that nullify with their sp3, like magik, will deal full damage.

No magik dont work like that either.
  • ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    edited January 2019
    I've seen when fighting killmonger before, that ability accuracy reduction can sometimes prevent his indestructible buff from expiring when hit, allowing killmonger a free indestructible. Maybe something similar happened with ice armor, where the ice armor was prevented from breaking in order to protect the champ, resulting in the champ taking full damage?
  • ArcDeAngelusArcDeAngelus Posts: 209
    Taskmaster also has a workaround for spec3 vs Ice Armour. So depends who it was against and if you hadn't recently burnt it with a spec2.
  • There are certain SP3s that can work around Ice Armour... Red Hulk for example will deal 5% damage from his SP3 and then deal extra damage after the attack thanks to his heat charges. This works especially well on Gwenpool and Magneto because they also take an incineration debuff.

Iceman dont get incinerated by red hulk fake news#
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,759 ★★★★★
    There are certain SP3s that can work around Ice Armour... Red Hulk for example will deal 5% damage from his SP3 and then deal extra damage after the attack thanks to his heat charges. This works especially well on Gwenpool and Magneto because they also take an incineration debuff.

No one said he did. He takes direct damage due to the heat charges
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    There are certain SP3s that can work around Ice Armour... Red Hulk for example will deal 5% damage from his SP3 and then deal extra damage after the attack thanks to his heat charges. This works especially well on Gwenpool and Magneto because they also take an incineration debuff.

No one said he did. He takes direct damage due to the heat charges

Just like Masacre deals direct damage on a crit when not ignited.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Sixshot1 wrote: »

As far as I'm aware, Magik doesn't work like that. I'm unaware of a SP3 that nullifies buffs that removes Ice Armor in such a way that you then take full damage. Magik I know definitely doesn't work that way, at least not normally.
  • Timone147Timone147 Posts: 1,276 ★★★★
    I have had domino bypass ice armor on me before. Not sure who else can. Always assumed it was ability accuracy reduction but folks here saying it doesn’t. Not sure if that is accurate though based on personal experience.