**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Is the permanent ban fair for all?

Hi, I am writing this only because of one thing - this game is or was a part of my life. Firstly let me admit I messed up by sharing my account details with another person to complete certain quests in the game, not because I didn't want to but because I did not have time and got saw an easy way out. Before I did this I had already completed 5.1 (100%) and completed 5.2 all by myself, I have been a level 60 player for a while and have played this game over for two years now. I was banned for 160 hours and with 2 hours remaining it said banned permanently. Before we got the ban in game message I never even knew about this, never saw any videos or forums etc so I thought 160 hours serves me right. My point is I'd love to have my account back obviously, this is the first and last time Ive done this, I believe anyone who has cheated or been an idiot to try it should get atleast one more chance especially if it's the first offence and they've been playing forever. Anyhow thanks, please contact me if you need information on the person who used my account which has probably happened to a lot of other impatient people like me. If not, this is a hard way to learn the art of patience.
In game: minkl3

Comments

• Options
    It is definitely fair! What about the players that didn't hack? How would it be fair on them if you were given a second chance? That's right! It wouldn't be fair. Kabam and the players who didn't hack have no sympathy for you, hence your ban, so please do us all a favour and stop spamming the forums.
  • Options
    Isman1998Isman1998 Posts: 520 ★★★
    I think getting banned for account sharing is stupid honestly. I really don't think that action affects the game too much. Sometimes you just don't have time or feel like doing the stuff but it's Kabam's rules. I think they need to tweak the TOS slightly but they probably never will. If anything you should write a ticket to them to see if they lift the ban off your account.
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★
    By all appearances the ban waves are independent of each other, as in searches for discrepancies with completion of rol/lol/account sharing and, for this wave, 5.2. If you triggered the first ban with acct sharing, thats strike 1 and the short ban; the second strike, which may or may not be related to the first, is punished as unrelated, hence the timing of the ban since that search coincided with the release of 5.3. It does appear to be unusually punitive, but that's the picture I'm seeing so far.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    Isman1998 wrote: »
    I think getting banned for account sharing is stupid honestly. I really don't think that action affects the game too much. Sometimes you just don't have time or feel like doing the stuff but it's Kabam's rules. I think they need to tweak the TOS slightly but they probably never will. If anything you should write a ticket to them to see if they lift the ban off your account.

The problem with account sharing in this context is that it is an impossible to disprove excuse for all cheating. Whatever Kabam catches you doing, you can just say it wasn't me, it was this other guy I shared with. That's probably the main reason why account sharing is a bannable offense: if it wasn't, then who wouldn't claim it and get a lesser punishment for cheating.

I also have some sympathy for the OP and other people who were banned. I don't condone cheating and I do think it is detrimental to the game, but I'm not completely heartless about it. But the reason why the punishment is so harsh is because the punishment is not just intended to punish the offender, it is also intended to be a deterrent from cheating in the first place. No cheat detection is perfect: some people will always get away with it. If cheaters believe that they will always get a second chance, it can encourage people to take a shot at cheating knowing they get one free pass if they are caught, and they might not even be caught. The punishment must be strong enough that the risk is not worth it at all, and the only punishment high enough to make the risk not worth taking is permanent bans.
  • Options
    Isman1998Isman1998 Posts: 520 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Isman1998 wrote: »

The problem with account sharing in this context is that it is an impossible to disprove excuse for all cheating. Whatever Kabam catches you doing, you can just say it wasn't me, it was this other guy I shared with. That's probably the main reason why account sharing is a bannable offense: if it wasn't, then who wouldn't claim it and get a lesser punishment for cheating.

I also have some sympathy for the OP and other people who were banned. I don't condone cheating and I do think it is detrimental to the game, but I'm not completely heartless about it. But the reason why the punishment is so harsh is because the punishment is not just intended to punish the offender, it is also intended to be a deterrent from cheating in the first place. No cheat detection is perfect: some people will always get away with it. If cheaters believe that they will always get a second chance, it can encourage people to take a shot at cheating knowing they get one free pass if they are caught, and they might not even be caught. The punishment must be strong enough that the risk is not worth it at all, and the only punishment high enough to make the risk not worth taking is permanent bans.

I feel that man I understand what you are saying;
  • Options
    KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    No, the bans are not consistent with previous ones. Last year there was a bunch of 720 hour bans. Those were fair and deserved. These permanent bans for first time offenses are much too harsh. Let guys payba fine, serve a suspension, and maybe have ill gotten rewards removed, or have a black out period from certain quests or arenas, but don't permanently ban accounts of players who have put lots of hours and money in the game. I am not condoning cheating, but be reasonable about it. If they aren't willing to pay up and accept the punishment, then keep them banned, but don't set a 1 strike your out policy. Work with your players. I know guys who are devasted by these bans, this game is a big part of their lives. You are losing more tevenur with these bans and hurting honest players as well, as alliances are losing players they need and have grown strong relationships with. All I see it doing is creating a black market for selling accounts. Even in pro sports lifetime bans are very rare. Please rethink this and give guys a fitting punishment while giving them a second chance.
  • Options
    Minkl3Minkl3 Posts: 129
    Whatever rewards were earned, they could just take those back and reset to what it was before and someone does it again ban permanently. And Darseid I am not spamming any forum, it's a legitimate concern. I am more than ok, but i think everyone deserves a second chance.
  • Options
  • Options
    @Kabam Miike I am pretty sure a huge percentage of people banned have gone through ebay without realising the consequences, if you guys cut out the root there would be no one who could use such services, not that anyone ever will after this. Anyhow if it's possible please do a due diligence on each banned account and take a decision accordingly if possible. Thanks!
  • Options
    KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    One point I would like to bring up is we've all been cheated by kabam with their half health penalty when the game crashes, I've had it happen several times after buying units to heal champs then winning a fight only to get disconnected and forced to heal and fight again. They never do anything to help is out when that.happens, it's just an exploit on their part. I do not condone cheating at all, but think the punishment is too severe based on their treatment of us in regards to bugs. We put up with it and continue to support them, they should rethink their stance on these issues. There are better options than taking thousands of dollars invested in game and not offering a compromise. Cheaters suck and it pisses me off to see level 40 guys 100% lol orvacr 5 with 3* champs, but cut some slack based on players experience and time spent playing as well as money spent. Punishment is deserved, but not Frank Castle style.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, sharing your account is against the Terms of Service. The bans on accounts is for breaking the terms of service that you agreed to when you started to play the game. These are the rules of the contest that every player agrees to abide by.

Sharing your account is dangerous for a number of reasons, a major one being that when you use a service to complete difficult content, it is undoubtedly using a Modification to complete the game, but this is still your responsibility because it was a choice that you made. Your account, all actions taken by it, and its security is solely your responsibility.

I'm sorry that you no longer have access to this account that you've spent a lot of time on. You are always welcome to start a new one and progress through the game again without breaking the terms of service, but it's highly unlikely that this decision will be reversed.

Since we do not discuss actions taken on individual accounts in the forums, we're going to close this thread down now.
This discussion has been closed.