**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Is Proff Hoff’s video about Ebony Maw being a cash grab designed to counter Corv & Ghost justified?

Comments

• Options
    TehsigzorzTehsigzorz Posts: 1,233 ★★★★
    No

But as we know Prof only cares about getting clicks

Do you have proof of that? He's already a university professor; that's already a good source of income right there. And even if it is the case, it hasn't been working too well...
    I think the worst case scenario is that he legitimately thinks that he's justified in what he's putting out. Sure it might result in lots more videos, but hey.
    Also, if you are going to prosecute Prof Hoff on this, we do have to consider having to do so towards at least a few other MCOC Content Creators.
    Case and point; Seatin's video on why the calendar rewards should be buffed. All of his Kabam CEO and other satirical videos. LITERALLY ANY TIME HE POSTS A STREAM HIGHLIGHT VIDEO. He legitimately thinks it's content worth making into a video, but it could also be viewed as just 'oh I want views cause I'm dirt poor D:'
    Please see grounded wisdom post which says, “sensationalism” which is just trying to get attention to a topic by means of use of methods to catch the eye
    He tries to be this “alternative” for MCOC viewers which is fine until you see that he rants more than any of them, and he mainly does it for this very niche part of the community
    Plus if you see Seatins page you’ll see that he rarely does the rant style video and when he does it’s only one single video then he moves one. While proff milks issues
    Again. That can all be explained by saying that Prof legitimately thinks that each and every video he puts out is worthwhile putting out. I'm sorry, but I don't see any proof in the above post.
    I definitely have some times where I see a video Prof puts out and go 'okay I don't personally understand why you wanted to make that video', but I can't think of a time where I thought 'oh he's just putting out that video to get clicks'.

Also I just wanted to make it clear that I don't mean any ill will towards you guys. I just think that this is a topic that's worthwhile discussing...
    Well you won’t see any “proof” if everything is so subjective now, you can easily look at both their channels and decide for yourself who makes more rant videos and how their respective audiences responds. You can also tell how ‘edgy’ prof is with his content with his subjective viewpoints on kabam getting in the way of actual decent content
    Worst part is how he 'talks back to the haters and elitists'. It comes off as an old man trying to be edgy which in turn becomes cringy.
  • Options
    V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    No

Ok guys I think we’re getting rly off topic, let’s focus back on the issue of the champs

You can’t name drop and expect people not to talk about. All you had to do was ask if EM was a cashgrab. Prof Hoff is part of the subject and title so it’s not really off topic if people discuss his validity.
  • Options
    No
    Belfigor said:

it is about power creep, kabam have finally realized that power creep is what kill all online games, you cant just continue to create more and more powerful characters, you need to make worse and then level out and then let old ones catch up.
    power creep will always kill online games

Power creep is one of the most popular ways for game progression so I dont know what you are talking about. Power creep has been happening to this game for the past 3 years and it still isnt dead
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    Belfigor said:

it is about power creep, kabam have finally realized that power creep is what kill all online games, you cant just continue to create more and more powerful characters, you need to make worse and then level out and then let old ones catch up.
    power creep will always kill online games

Linear power creep is a major issue in games like this, but that's something that Kabam seems to have figured out, at least in general, before 12.0 came out.
  • Options
    Mlee1829Mlee1829 Posts: 75
    He is def a joke. Half the things he says in his vids are objectively false. He just panders to the complainers. Every community has that guy.
  • Options
    No
    Mlee1829 said:

He is def a joke. Half the things he says in his vids are objectively false. He just panders to the complainers. Every community has that guy.

Considering I of all people think he complains too much is saying smthn lmao
  • Options
    danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    No
    Mlee1829 said:

basically dead on, good post
  • Options
    ChampioncriticChampioncritic Posts: 3,347 ★★★★
    No
    He has the facts right, ebony maw will indeed destroy ghost and corvus if they end up fighting in AW, but misses the fact that no one in their right mind, assuming the class of the champ is not hidden, will ever use corvus against a mystic champ. Maybe people will still use ghost, but knowing that ebony maw exists, players will more than likely use an alternative, hence why it certainly is not a cash grab in my opinion.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    No

Do you have proof of that? He's already a university professor; that's already a good source of income right there. And even if it is the case, it hasn't been working too well...
    I think the worst case scenario is that he legitimately thinks that he's justified in what he's putting out. Sure it might result in lots more videos, but hey.
    Also, if you are going to prosecute Prof Hoff on this, we do have to consider having to do so towards at least a few other MCOC Content Creators.
    Case and point; Seatin's video on why the calendar rewards should be buffed. All of his Kabam CEO and other satirical videos. LITERALLY ANY TIME HE POSTS A STREAM HIGHLIGHT VIDEO. He legitimately thinks it's content worth making into a video, but it could also be viewed as just 'oh I want views cause I'm dirt poor D:'
    The fact that he's a PhD in Journalism is the reason I pointed out Sensationalism. For starters, it's a Journalism term. Secondly, it's poor taste for anyone in Journalism. They strive to be objective and impartial, and not overstate the facts or blow things out of proportion. There's good Reporting and bad Reporting. I would have that expectation of anyone who has awareness of such things, him or not.
  • Options
    No
    Drooped2 said:

The fact that he's a PhD in Journalism is the reason I pointed out Sensationalism. For starters, it's a Journalism term. Secondly, it's poor taste for anyone in Journalism. They strive to be objective and impartial, and not overstate the facts or blow things out of proportion. There's good Reporting and bad Reporting. I would have that expectation of anyone who has awareness of such things, him or not.
    People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching
    I took a Journalism Credit in school. It was our Teacher who taught us the difference, and how to spot good Journalism. JS. Lol.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,671 Guardian
    Drooped2 said:

People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching
    I used to teach train the trainer classes, because those who can do, those who can't teach, but someone might as well get in on that action to certify all those teachers.
  • Options
    arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★

dude is a cancer to the community, one of the biggest black marks we have

Cancer? Really? You couldn't come up with a more fitting description?
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Ya’ll are speculating about Hoff and inflating him (gave him a PhD and well paying job).

In a state that has a problem paying their teachers a livable wage, one journalism professor from Oklahoma State University chose to become a YouTube persona. As it turns out, this hobby has turned from side hustle to a better money-making system than his actual job.

“I have not received a penny raise since starting teaching at Oklahoma State in the fall of 2013,” Hoffman said. “In a year, I went from making probably about $12 on YouTube to over $20,000.”
    https://www.thelostogle.com/2019/03/11/osu-journalism-professor-becomes-pro-youtube-gamer-to-make-ends-meet/

• Options
    arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★
    Drooped2 said:

DNA3000 said:

He's already a university professor; that's already a good source of income right there.

I suppose it depends on your definition of good. Suffice to say, nobody is getting rich lecturing students at a state university.
    Yea I wouldnt call average around 60k that good either but hey
    I highly doubt he gets 60k. Should be around 40-45k. Technically, he is not a Professor. He's a lecturer. He has an MA in Journalism. An assistant Professor with a PhD on a tenure track position starts at 60k in a field like Journalism.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    No

Drooped2 said:

I took a Journalism Credit in school. It was our Teacher who taught us the difference, and how to spot good Journalism. JS. Lol.
    I took US history last semester, surprisingly communication especially journalism has shaped the US incredibly since it was one of the only was to communicate back in the day. We went over how “yellow journalism” created a heavy divide between people since what sold the best was usually the most exaggerated tittles. Sometimes the main point was to sell and not caring if the info was accurate or true. I assume this is the same matter you are addressing as well
    It has a number of effects. Basically, there's a difference between staying impartial and washing the facts with your own exaggerations and spin. Your responsibility as a Journalist is to present the facts in as unbiased and as accurate a way as possible, and allow the audience to formulate their own opinions. What Sensationalism does is taint the thoughts of the audience with your own views and opinions. It shapes their ideas, and it makes it extremely difficult to discern the actual facts. Take Fox News for example....LOL. The worst part is, people come to depend on it to view the world, and it's incredibly biased, self-serving, and inaccurate. A true Journalist removes themselves completely. Gayle King and R. Kelly-style. Lol.
  • Options
    No

Drooped2 said:

I took US history last semester, surprisingly communication especially journalism has shaped the US incredibly since it was one of the only was to communicate back in the day. We went over how “yellow journalism” created a heavy divide between people since what sold the best was usually the most exaggerated tittles. Sometimes the main point was to sell and not caring if the info was accurate or true. I assume this is the same matter you are addressing as well
    It has a number of effects. Basically, there's a difference between staying impartial and washing the facts with your own exaggerations and spin. Your responsibility as a Journalist is to present the facts in as unbiased and as accurate a way as possible, and allow the audience to formulate their own opinions. What Sensationalism does is taint the thoughts of the audience with your own views and opinions. It shapes their ideas, and it makes it extremely difficult to discern the actual facts. Take Fox News for example....LOL. The worst part is, people come to depend on it to view the world, and it's incredibly biased, self-serving, and inaccurate. A true Journalist removes themselves completely. Gayle King and R. Kelly-style. Lol.
    Yeah I covered most of that, it’s rather difficult to avoid even a small taint of sensationalism. Finding an objective source is rather difficult since many people want to find something that augments to their own personal position.
    Well, it does occur a great deal, but that's where the good Journalism comes into play. There is a priority order to News. The Story should sell itself.
  • Options
    Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★
    No
    This is gonna get lost in a wall of text, but the way I see it is as a higher key version of champ interactions like massacre vs red skull, dormmamu vs ultron, or Angela/VTD/any buff reliant champ vs dr strange. It’s just one fight though, no biggie. If you scout your war path and see an ebony maw, bring proxima (can parry his projectile attacks.......) even if you run Corvus. Bring wasp if you run ghost.

If you don’t use synergies, bring omega, domino, cap iw, void, sabretooth, stark spidey, archangel, Hyperion etc.

Go for far reaching, heavy centered champs that you can heavy counter with. Just like you don’t bring massacre or havok to fight red skull, don’t bring Corvus or ghost to fight maw.

Side note:

Lol this is totally going to get shut down we’re speculating salaries and talking about political journalism now 🤦🏽‍♂️

Go drunk forums, you’re home.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,728 ★★★★★
    arsjum said:

Drooped2 said:

DNA3000 said:

He's already a university professor; that's already a good source of income right there.

I suppose it depends on your definition of good. Suffice to say, nobody is getting rich lecturing students at a state university.
    Yea I wouldnt call average around 60k that good either but hey
    I highly doubt he gets 60k. Should be around 40-45k. Technically, he is not a Professor. He's a lecturer. He has an MA in Journalism. An assistant Professor with a PhD on a tenure track position starts at 60k in a field like Journalism.
    Isn't that a bit off topic lol
  • Options
    No
    Okay, then I amend my statement to include MA rather than PhD. Both cases, my thoughts are the same. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.