**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Account Sharing Bans - InfoBot "Services"

1235»

Comments

• Ja55Ja55 Posts: 155
    Cheyneed wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    6. User Name & Password.

You may not use anyone else’s Account at any time and you may not allow anyone else to use your Account at any time. You agree that Kabam will not be liable for any loss you may incur as a result of someone else using your Account, either with or without your knowledge, and you further agree that you will be liable for losses incurred by Kabam or another party due to someone else using your Account. Because of this, Kabam strongly recommends that you exit from your Account at the end of each session.

Anyone that wants to bet on Kabam not banning people for account sharing is free to take their own fate in their own hands. But anyone saying it is not a violation of TOS or not a potentially bannable offense is simply factually wrong. It is a black and white violation of the TOS.
    Many interesting points raised here but the reality is this. There are no bans for account sharing. Bans are only given for modding. It would be an interesting step forward for Kabam to ban mercs or people that purchase their services, however it simply hasn't happened.

I'm sure many will disagree. You have drunk too deeply of the Kool-Aid.

This is simply not true. In the last week or so, there have been a number of Posts asking to reinstate their Accounts with only Account Sharing as the transgressions. If you're under the impression that Account Sharing alone is not bannable, you would be wrong. It's always been agaisnt TOS. The fact that people still believe it's acceptable is baffling to me.

Ugh, your naivety is astonishing. It is as @DNA3000 stated, people have been banned for account sharing because the person they they shared with was using a mod. There may have also been some people banned for account sharing who were running the arena for 24 hours a day back in the early days. I will reiterate, people do not get banned for simply sharing accounts. If they did 90% of those in a top 100 alliance would be banned. @GroundedWisdom please refrain from speaking on things you know nothing about.

To be precise, I said it was likely that people that were account sharing were *detected* because they shared with someone using a mod or performing some other violation. It is still the case that the could have been banned for account sharing.

Account sharing is like jaywalking, in the sense that jaywalking is illegal, there are penalties for jaywalking, and yet people do it all the time and most people are neither caught nor penalized. However, do it in front of a cop and you can still be ticketed. Someone account sharing outside of any other TOS violation is unlikely to be *detected*. However, that's not the same thing as saying it isn't "really" against the rules. It is against the rules, and it can be punished. The fact that many people do it and aren't punished doesn't change the law, and isn't a defense if you are in fact caught.

This thread has been incredibly frustrating. In a final attempt I will attempt to clear up what I have said and not said. I have not once said that account sharing is not against the TOS. I have not once said account sharing isn't against the rules (@DNA3000 I have included this not because you accused me but for clarity). What I have said is people who are solely account sharing with no mods are not being banned. The exception to this, as previously stated, being arena scores that are ridiculously inflated because people were grinding for 24 hours straight.

I said 90% are sharing, obviously this is a made up statistic insinuating a high degree of account sharing. I clearly have not done the research to ascertain the exact percentages of account sharing alliances. However, it is clear that most do not believe me that account sharing is far more prevalent than anyone realizes. Although this is just confirmation bias on their parts. It is easily discernible since nearly every counterargument is simply, "I don't believe you." I have given ample evidence and reasoned arguments. The funny thing is some will accuse and ask for "real" evidence, which ironically, would be against the forum rules.

I truly do not have a dog in this fight, other than people being unreasonable and illogical annoys me. Believe me or don't believe me. I never would have thought it would be so difficult to convince people of something so obviously true. But, eh, lesson learned. Take care folks.

The interesting thing is you mention Confirmation Bias, and that is the basis of your argument. You are not simply asserting that it is common at higher Tiers. You've stated that they never ban on the basis of Sharing alone, that 90% of the Top Tier does it, and that your proof is you see it happening. What you fail to see is that they have banned on that basis alone, that number is not exactly accurate, and all you're doing is emphasizing the reason that they are becoming more diligent in banning the behavior. There are people who actually believe it is not acted upon and have convinced themselves that they can get away with it, simply because they're at the top. In essence, you're showing the need for further action, not proving they never ban for it. Which they do. You can stick to the bias that they don't because you see it happening, but all that does is express the need to investigate further. They have and they will.

Round 2...whackidy wack
  • wray1976wray1976 Posts: 459 ★★
    Sirnoob wrote: »
    madmax wrote: »
    If kabam were open and honest about things all these posts would stop, I still don't understand why all the cloak and dagger stuff from them, 99% of the gossip and **** is caused by there lack of communication and honesty

They said something is banable and some got banned for it don't know what's not open communication about that
    Threads like this will pop up in most competitive multiplayer games as people will always cause top of cheating

Allegedly banned for it. They don't share the reasons why so they could have violated any random part of the TOS. Proof is never shown.
    wray1976 wrote: »
    There's also the fact that a device has a footprint. If a certain Account is opened that's associated with a certain device, that leaves a footprint. In fact, every device we use does. It's simple to differentiate our multiple devices because the IP also tells a location. Now, when you have a device that is usually associated with one Account logging on to another repeatedly, that's a red flag. Especially when said devices are in different areas. There are other factors that could play into it such as Chat Logs, amount of time playing (more than humanly possible), fight skill, pretty much any internal data. Although we don't know exactly what their methods are, one thing is for sure. It's their game. It's the Internet. They will find out if they have sufficient reason. The process is thorough. It's not just a "maybe" action that's taken. That's not to say that anything is infallible. Just that it's not done lightly. The idea that they can't tell is not accurate. They have ways of finding out, and they're well within their rights. It's their property.

Kabam can't release a update correctly I doubt they can check "footprints". You guys have way to much faith in them.

Both iOS and Android have a mechanism for any app to generate a unique ID for the device it is installed on. At one time you could fetch the UDID for the device but due to privacy concerns Apple blocks this in iOS. However, every installation of MCOC would have a unique VendorID assigned which you can only reset by deleting and reinstalling the application. Everyone logging in to an installation with the same VendorID is logging into the same installation of the software on the same device. I believe there is a similar mechanism in Android although I'm less familiar with it.

You seem to be inconsistent on Kabam. You believe they aren't "stupid/naive" when it comes to banning people who spend money on the game, but so incompetent they can't track the installation of their apps using the mechanisms the actual mobile OS vendors hand to developers to do exactly that.
    I don't think the process is flawless. That's my main issue. I know they have a system in place but how perfect is it? That's the real question. Nobody knows or will know.

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    There's also the fact that a device has a footprint. If a certain Account is opened that's associated with a certain device, that leaves a footprint. In fact, every device we use does. It's simple to differentiate our multiple devices because the IP also tells a location. Now, when you have a device that is usually associated with one Account logging on to another repeatedly, that's a red flag. Especially when said devices are in different areas. There are other factors that could play into it such as Chat Logs, amount of time playing (more than humanly possible), fight skill, pretty much any internal data. Although we don't know exactly what their methods are, one thing is for sure. It's their game. It's the Internet. They will find out if they have sufficient reason. The process is thorough. It's not just a "maybe" action that's taken. That's not to say that anything is infallible. Just that it's not done lightly. The idea that they can't tell is not accurate. They have ways of finding out, and they're well within their rights. It's their property.

Kabam can't release a update correctly I doubt they can check "footprints". You guys have way to much faith in them.

Both iOS and Android have a mechanism for any app to generate a unique ID for the device it is installed on. At one time you could fetch the UDID for the device but due to privacy concerns Apple blocks this in iOS. However, every installation of MCOC would have a unique VendorID assigned which you can only reset by deleting and reinstalling the application. Everyone logging in to an installation with the same VendorID is logging into the same installation of the software on the same device. I believe there is a similar mechanism in Android although I'm less familiar with it.

You seem to be inconsistent on Kabam. You believe they aren't "stupid/naive" when it comes to banning people who spend money on the game, but so incompetent they can't track the installation of their apps using the mechanisms the actual mobile OS vendors hand to developers to do exactly that.
    I don't think the process is flawless. That's my main issue. I know they have a system in place but how perfect is it? That's the real question. Nobody knows or will know.

No process is flawless, but I'm not sure in what context you're questioning which process. I don't think anyone is saying installation tracking is perfect: in fact most people are arguing it is not. I'm simply stating that the process you implied was something Kabam could get wrong is something that is literally handed to them by Apple (or Android). It isn't something *they* can get wrong. The system itself isn't perfect of course. But there aren't very many moving parts to go wrong either.

Within the context of people saying "Kabam can't track you" I'm pointing out they can, and in fact the vendors of the mobile devices themselves provide tools to do so. That isn't the sum total of everything Kabam or any other mobile vendor can do, it is just one piece. And it is not perfect, but nothing is perfect. People go to jail on the basis of imperfect information. I don't think the standard of proof for losing one's mobile game account is higher than that.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    I said 90% are sharing, obviously this is a made up statistic insinuating a high degree of account sharing. I clearly have not done the research to ascertain the exact percentages of account sharing alliances. However, it is clear that most do not believe me that account sharing is far more prevalent than anyone realizes. Although this is just confirmation bias on their parts. It is easily discernible since nearly every counterargument is simply, "I don't believe you." I have given ample evidence and reasoned arguments. The funny thing is some will accuse and ask for "real" evidence, which ironically, would be against the forum rules.

Confirmation bias is when someone believes something and then tends to remember every time the facts supported that belief and forgets or minimizes every time the facts contradict that belief.

As far as I can tell, you haven't given any evidence for the claim that a large majority of alliances use account sharing. You've simply asserted this to be true. The only logical reasoning you've presented in the thread in this context is the argument that since most alliances account share, and those alliances haven't been disrupted by the recent ban waves, this proves Kabam isn't banning for account sharing alone. That argument relies on the presumption that most alliances account share and this account sharing is known and detectable by Kabam, it doesn't attempt to prove it to be true. And by your own admission, you state you can't provide evidence of this because you state it would be against forum rules.

As I see it, there's good reason to be skeptical. Sharing your account login information with another person you do not know well on the internet (or even someone you do know well) is extremely risky because you are giving that person full control of a game account you could have spent thousands of hours and a lot of money to build up, especially for top tier players. All it takes is one person to get drunk, angry, or careless, and your account is gone with almost no hope of having it recovered. That's an enormous risk to take, and claiming that a large majority of the top players do this, regardless of the actual percentage, is making a very bold claim about the naivete or the risk-blindness of top tier players. 1% of top tier players might be that crazy or stupid. But a large percentage? I would need proof to accept that statement.
  • SkylordSkylord Posts: 138
    Follow the advice of your fellow players, do not use these services. They are still a violation of our Terms of Service, and are a bannable offense.

I'd love for my best friend in the world to try out my 5* spidy but afraid it would violate the TOS, wish there was a better way @Kabam Miike

No process is flawless, but I'm not sure in what context you're questioning which process. I don't think anyone is saying installation tracking is perfect: in fact most people are arguing it is not. I'm simply stating that the process you implied was something Kabam could get wrong is something that is literally handed to them by Apple (or Android). It isn't something *they* can get wrong. The system itself isn't perfect of course. But there aren't very many moving parts to go wrong either.

Within the context of people saying "Kabam can't track you" I'm pointing out they can, and in fact the vendors of the mobile devices themselves provide tools to do so. That isn't the sum total of everything Kabam or any other mobile vendor can do, it is just one piece. And it is not perfect, but nothing is perfect. People go to jail on the basis of imperfect information. I don't think the standard of proof for losing one's mobile game account is higher than that.

I just see people saying that Kabam's system is flawless and there is no way someone could be banned incorrectly. I just can't agree with that I guess. I don't think Kabam is gunning for people sharing accounts honestly. Seems odd to me that a company losing players because of in game glitches/bugs/issues would want to lose even more. Opinions I guess.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★

I just see people saying that Kabam's system is flawless and there is no way someone could be banned incorrectly. I just can't agree with that I guess. I don't think Kabam is gunning for people sharing accounts honestly. Seems odd to me that a company losing players because of in game glitches/bugs/issues would want to lose even more. Opinions I guess.

I never said anything was flawless. I said the process is thorough, and that Account Sharing is against TOS, and has been enforced. Nothing in life is completely flawless. As for the argument of bugs, they're not likely to set rules and allow people to gain unfair advantages by cheating, just to soften the blow of glitches. That makes no sense at all. The fact of the matter is, Account Sharing has always been against TOS. Those Terms are what we all agree to when we play their product. No reasonable company would set rules and allow people to break them simply because there are ongoing issues. Quite frankly, they wouldn't be rules. However, in this case, they are. Sharing affects the entire system, as well as those playing by the rules. It's a major imbalance.
  • Leikp645Leikp645 Posts: 16
    I play in iphone and samsung
    Will be bann?????

I never said anything was flawless. I said the process is thorough, and that Account Sharing is against TOS, and has been enforced. Nothing in life is completely flawless. As for the argument of bugs, they're not likely to set rules and allow people to gain unfair advantages by cheating, just to soften the blow of glitches. That makes no sense at all. The fact of the matter is, Account Sharing has always been against TOS. Those Terms are what we all agree to when we play their product. No reasonable company would set rules and allow people to break them simply because there are ongoing issues. Quite frankly, they wouldn't be rules. However, in this case, they are. Sharing affects the entire system, as well as those playing by the rules. It's a major imbalance.

I never said kabam was going to let **** slide because of glitches. Regardless if you want to believe it or not they are losing players daily because of all the **** updates and issues so wasting time on "sharing" seems like a waste of effort. People sharing accounts isn't hurting my gaming experience but the horrible updates and bugs sure will.

Kabam won't have a game to push updates for unless they get things in order. 2020 content is laughable at this point.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    Leikp645 wrote: »
    I play in iphone and samsung
    Will be bann?????

No. Multiple Devices are allowed.
  • Anyone who says kabam can't prove account sharing is seriously mistaken. Are you telling me that if someone logs into their account from a New York IP address all the time, then that person logs out and someone with a California IP address logs in 5 minutes later and beats Realm of Legends that Kabam wouldn't be able to see this is obvious account sharing? It is physically impossible to login with an IP address across the country unless you are using an IP spoofing proxy, which is against Kabam's TOS in itself.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    Dpumalo wrote: »
    Anyone who says kabam can't prove account sharing is seriously mistaken. Are you telling me that if someone logs into their account from a New York IP address all the time, then that person logs out and someone with a California IP address logs in 5 minutes later and beats Realm of Legends that Kabam wouldn't be able to see this is obvious account sharing? It is physically impossible to login with an IP address across the country unless you are using an IP spoofing proxy, which is against Kabam's TOS in itself.

Anybody can use a proxy or vpn. Not against tos
This discussion has been closed.