Afraid to Rank up Champs?

The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
OK. So with all the questions, reviews, discussions, bugs, lovers, and haters on here, as far as which champs are worth upgrading and how far it is useful to take them, I feel more discouraged than ever to rank up ANY of my champs (with only a few exceptions). I don't want to spend the elusive T4CC or T4BC on a champ just to have them nerfed a month later or buggy and useless a month after that.
The discussion of bringing back rank downs is shot down by kabam because it wasn't meant to be permanent. I find myself just hoarding the good crystals then, thinking, I don't want to rank this champ up and have it be useless sometime soon. I'm just always waiting to see what's gonna change instead of cashing in the upgrade items. Especial in light of events since 12.0 I guess.
Anyone else?

Afraid to Rank up Champs? 93 votes

Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
63%
DNA3000ShadTheManGamerNo_More_HeroesRagamugginGunnerWhododo872danielmathSnakeEyes69BigMoShrimkinsJamezBongKronos987654321SirnoobMEŦAPħҰSThebgj01will-o-wispJaffacakedMegaSkater67Timone147stak 59 votes
Scared to Death to use my T4's
25%
Vdh2008TheTAbyssMr_PlatypusKML15Shynight00TillerTheKillerPera5CapWW2SaiyanBmoreWilsonLeftTurnAlbqrqeDanicb94RedWingsforLifeDusky_DawnApacheAlCapone2727Mystic_ManechunkybR4GEZzz 24 votes
Doesn't matter, I have more crystals than I know what to do with
10%
MasterSmokeNevvBRehctansBewRenegade_DoggyRaganatorDelta_14SpeedbumpKyloCreeperPepeSilviaKennado 10 votes

Comments

  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    The rank down tickets were exclusively a part of the last nerf and it was a major nerf. I would imagine if they ever decide to nerf the new god tier champs that we would receive rank down tickets potentially again.
  • Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    If nerfs or changes happen, they will give us specific rank down tickets.
    That's enough
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    just play the game and ignote the politics. unless you are ranking for prestige to help your ally, rank whoever the hell you want.

    posts and polls like this arent needed in forum. if youre afraid tonplay the game as you see fit, dont play

    I think you missed the point. I DO rank who the heck I want making my decision based on their exact stats and abilities at that time. Then things change and there's no going back. I no longer HAVE the ranked champ I chose but a modified or bugged version of what they once were. I want any regret to be because I chose poorly or ignorantly and not because I chose well and then they no longer work the same. It's that simple.
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    Note: I'm not talking about forum politics. I enjoy the game and all the new content, I'm just becoming MUCH more conservative in ranking up to the higher levels due to so many bugs and changes reported here on so many champs. It is called prudence. Just wondering if anyone else feels more tense these days to commit to ranking that's all.
  • MEŦAPħҰSMEŦAPħҰS Posts: 340 ★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    just play the game and ignote the politics. unless you are ranking for prestige to help your ally, rank whoever the hell you want.

    posts and polls like this arent needed in forum. if youre afraid tonplay the game as you see fit, dont play

    I think you missed the point. I DO rank who the heck I want making my decision based on their exact stats and abilities at that time. Then things change and there's no going back. I no longer HAVE the ranked champ I chose but a modified or bugged version of what they once were. I want any regret to be because I chose poorly or ignorantly and not because I chose well and then they no longer work the same. It's that simple.

    i didnt miss your point. you very clearly stated that you feel discouraged, hoard resources and dont rank champs because you fear changes.

    kabam rebalances the gsme periodically. 12.0 was the biggest set back to date, the community countered and the company made some concessions. imo, most changes kabam has made have been beneficial.

    there are very few champs that i would consider not ranking. all others have their purpose and can be used in any mode of game play.
  • SirnoobSirnoob Posts: 952 ★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    You pay too much attention to the complainers here
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    just play the game and ignote the politics. unless you are ranking for prestige to help your ally, rank whoever the hell you want.

    posts and polls like this arent needed in forum. if youre afraid tonplay the game as you see fit, dont play

    I think you missed the point. I DO rank who the heck I want making my decision based on their exact stats and abilities at that time. Then things change and there's no going back. I no longer HAVE the ranked champ I chose but a modified or bugged version of what they once were. I want any regret to be because I chose poorly or ignorantly and not because I chose well and then they no longer work the same. It's that simple.

    There has been no more major changes to champions since the 12.0 changes. If you have ranked up nerfed champions since then that should not be Kabam's fault and necessitate more rank down tickets.
  • addisonbassistaddisonbassist Posts: 516 ★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    Awaken, rank up, etc. whoever you think is fun to play and don't worry about the future so much.

    Based on the way I've seen this company continue to destroy their own product and then treat their paying customers with valid complaints like nuisances, rather than people who legitimately care about something they love and have an investment in, they won't be around for much longer anyway.

    Just have fun while it lasts.
  • No_More_HeroesNo_More_Heroes Posts: 471 ★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    Just play the game to your enjoyment. SG your favorite champ? R4/55 her if that makes you happy.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,449 ★★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I'm running out of gold but have the resources to rank up 4* to 5/50 or 5* champs
  • KML15KML15 Posts: 139
    Scared to Death to use my T4's
    Wouldn't say I'm scared to rank up but for sure flashbacks of DS come to mind when ranking up.
  • Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    edited August 2017
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I rank whoever I want and enjoy playing with regardless of what the future may hold.
  • AddyosAddyos Posts: 886 ★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I'm not scared to death to use my t4's, but for some classes I'm hesitant to use them because;
    1. I might have a 5* champ that if I get duped, they are a better option to use the t4cc on than 4*.
    2. There are better 4*s champs coming in the arena where I could better use certain t4cc on e.g. mutant t4cc on Iceman and Archangel.

    Aside from that, I'm not afraid. I will keep back my own progression by hoarding too many resources and not ranking up champs.
  • QwertyQwerty Posts: 635 ★★★
    this is just as bad as people who are afraid to open crystals.

    you have 2 choices:

    a. do X and hope for the best
    b. do nothing and get nothing.
  • Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    Note: I'm not talking about forum politics. I enjoy the game and all the new content, I'm just becoming MUCH more conservative in ranking up to the higher levels due to so many bugs and changes reported here on so many champs. It is called prudence. Just wondering if anyone else feels more tense these days to commit to ranking that's all.

    Future potential changes to the champs never enter my mind, because I rank based primarily on whether I intend to use the champion right now, and that rank up will improve my game right now. If it will, it is worth doing no matter what happens in the future. If it won't, I wait.

    Also, I guess I've played enough MMOs over enough years that I see game changes less like a criminal injustice and more like the weather. Sometimes its sunny, sometimes it rains. It is never as good as anyone says, it is never as bad as anyone says. In fact, it is pretty much never like anyone says at all. I plan to deal with the weather. I don't let the weather dictate my plans.
  • Kronos987654321Kronos987654321 Posts: 584 ★★★
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I have expiring t4cc but I'm scared to use gold
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 3,601 ★★★★
    Don't know whether to rank up just in case, next pull is a good champ.
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    Sirnoob wrote: »
    You pay too much attention to the complainers here

    I appreciate your viewpoint and I guess I just wasn't clear from the beginning. Sorry but I also had trouble with Vision power burn, Ultron sp2 after combo and energy absorption, among others. So occasionally I search the site for things that I haven't discovered yet but others have. It is called prudence. Looking ahead. Getting a broader view from others who play different champs and different methods. It is a very legit reason for visiting this forum in the first place.
    Complaining is aimless. Stating problems and inconsistencies in a constructive way, however, can be helpful to the developers and the community. You misunderstand players like me if you think different about my posts.
    This post was just to see if the community felt differently about ranking in light of some of these persistent bugs.
    I'm not interested in complainers or bashers of Kabam other than how they got to that point but simply looking for more perspective. SO thanks for commenting.
    BTW
    I was the first one in a while recently to post "What I DO like about this game". Find it and comment yourself.
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Note: I'm not talking about forum politics. I enjoy the game and all the new content, I'm just becoming MUCH more conservative in ranking up to the higher levels due to so many bugs and changes reported here on so many champs. It is called prudence. Just wondering if anyone else feels more tense these days to commit to ranking that's all.

    Future potential changes to the champs never enter my mind, because I rank based primarily on whether I intend to use the champion right now, and that rank up will improve my game right now. If it will, it is worth doing no matter what happens in the future. If it won't, I wait.

    Also, I guess I've played enough MMOs over enough years that I see game changes less like a criminal injustice and more like the weather. Sometimes its sunny, sometimes it rains. It is never as good as anyone says, it is never as bad as anyone says. In fact, it is pretty much never like anyone says at all. I plan to deal with the weather. I don't let the weather dictate my plans.

    Thank you for that. Very insightful indeed!
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    Qwerty wrote: »
    this is just as bad as people who are afraid to open crystals.

    you have 2 choices:

    a. do X and hope for the best
    b. do nothing and get nothing.

    You forgot:
    c. do X and get nothing (crystals?)
    d. do X and then wish you had done Y for some reason
    e. do nothing and then pull an awesome champ and rank up happy
    f. do X and THEN pull awesome champ and be sad for a while

    There are probably a bunch more of these I'm guessing. :)

  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    I am getting the feeling that this is more of a problem or concern for lower rated players. The comments up upper rated players seems to be a bit more crass and "I'll use my 50 T4cc expiring crystals to rank whoever I want" and I think I represent the "I've got one chance at this for a while" category. So keep that in mind.
  • Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I am getting the feeling that this is more of a problem or concern for lower rated players. The comments up upper rated players seems to be a bit more crass and "I'll use my 50 T4cc expiring crystals to rank whoever I want" and I think I represent the "I've got one chance at this for a while" category. So keep that in mind.

    I don't think it is just the top players. I am in an alliance in the expert tier and the glory crystals and greater glory crystals make getting t4cc so much easier than it used to be. Even if the 20+ map 5 crystals that I open each week during AQ yield no t4 class catalysts then I am getting lots of frags. 4 months ago I had my first max ranked 4*. I'm already on my ninth and soon will have a 10th and 11th. The key is finding an expert tier alliance (you have to be active and pull your own weight in one though).
  • TrumpootTrumpoot Posts: 179
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    @The1_NuclearOnion dude, with a name like yours, don't be afraid of anything.

    That being said, I have heard what i consider to be good advice.

    If your goal is to play this game all the way into the top ranks, you can't ignore prestige with your first choices of r5.

    Prestige isn't the ONLY variable, but it shouldn't be disregarded all together.

    only way to get steady stream of T4CC is to be in competitive alliance, and they will want you to have high prestige.

    I think the comment that i read said something like this.

    "go ahead and rank XXX because you like them, even though their prestige sucks. But get ready to enjoy them for a long long time, because you wont get another R5 soon."


  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    Trumpoot wrote: »
    @The1_NuclearOnion dude, with a name like yours, don't be afraid of anything.
    After this I feel motivated to go rank something up now! haha
  • MyTaffyMyTaffy Posts: 144
    I am getting the feeling that this is more of a problem or concern for lower rated players. The comments up upper rated players seems to be a bit more crass and "I'll use my 50 T4cc expiring crystals to rank whoever I want" and I think I represent the "I've got one chance at this for a while" category. So keep that in mind.

    Usually it's the lower rated players who complained how strong xx champion is, please nerf.

  • JamezBongJamezBong Posts: 89
    Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    i would rankup every great champs.
    but i will carefully prioritize some god tier, since t4c not easy to get (for me at least)
    if one day they get nerfed .... well, you just get ****
    anyway, im a free player, upset yes, but not much to complain
  • The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 893 ★★★
    MyTaffy wrote: »
    I am getting the feeling that this is more of a problem or concern for lower rated players. The comments up upper rated players seems to be a bit more crass and "I'll use my 50 T4cc expiring crystals to rank whoever I want" and I think I represent the "I've got one chance at this for a while" category. So keep that in mind.

    Usually it's the lower rated players who complained how strong xx champion is, please nerf.

    I am NOT a fan of nerfing anything. If anything, buff everyone else if you need to.
  • ThatsausageThatsausage Posts: 214
    Not really afraid of ranking but with the way the prestige system is built, I have to rank champs that I can care less about in order to: 1. Stay in my alliance. 2. Optimize AQ points.
    Example: I love the Hulk. Hits hard and more so as he takes damage. But I also have Jane Foster Thor as my top champ. In order to avoid being kicked by my ally and boost the points we get, I have to rank JFThor over my favorite, Hulk. Course this is only an example.
  • Not Afraid to take a chance and rank up
    I am getting the feeling that this is more of a problem or concern for lower rated players. The comments up upper rated players seems to be a bit more crass and "I'll use my 50 T4cc expiring crystals to rank whoever I want" and I think I represent the "I've got one chance at this for a while" category. So keep that in mind.

    Actually, this is true for all players, just in different ways. Not all rank ups are equal when comparing different players.

    For all players, it is generally true that there exist resources that are effectively unlimited, resources that are limited but easy to acquire, resources that are limited and only acquirable at a limited rate, and resources that are so rare so as to be effectively capped. Which of those resources you have to use when you rank something up strongly influences your attitude towards rank ups.

    For example, right now I rank up every 4* to 3/30. No matter what. For me, gold and ISO are effectively unlimited. The only bottleneck is t1 alphas. For me, alphas are sufficiently easy to acquire that I can't use them all before they expire. You might think that's because I'm not low enough for them to be rare. That's half true. I'm high enough that I can earn them pretty fast. But I'm also too *low* to run out. It is hard to run out of alphas ranking up 4* champs. It is very easy to run out ranking up 5* champs. So ironically players much higher than me might actually be more conservative about ranking up 4* champs. They might be keeping a lot of 4* champs at 2/20 because they are saving alphas for 5* rank ups instead.

    And no matter how high you are, the ultimate constrained resource right now is t2 alpha. No one, however high they may be, has an unlimited supply of those nor can they earn them at any sustainable rate. If you are high enough for all other resources to be unconstrained, you still have to think carefully about using those.

    I don't have buyers remorse on 4* 3/30 upgrades because I have every intention of upgrading everything. I don't have a lot of buyers remorse on 4* 4/40 or 5* 2/35 because by the time something changes those champs I've probably earned a lot more T4B. The only place I could have buyers remorse is 5/50, 3/45, and 4/55, but I'm very careful about those upgrades anyway. For higher players, it might be just 4/55, because for them 5/50 and 3/45 upgrades are as expensive on a relative basis as 4/40 is for me. And because those upgrades are generally done very thoughtfully, it is much less likely to run into a buyers remorse situation.
Sign In or Register to comment.