**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Tier 3 wars are ridiculously hard

hurricanthurricant Posts: 515 ★★★
Kabam nice job on the map layout, way better than the previous map. It's nice that anyone can teleport anywhere. But these nodes in tier 3 are absolutely ridiculous. We played some tier 3 in the previous map, and were always able to clear with deaths. In this map, we skip 4 islands and still can't kill the boss because it's so difficult. The different from previous map tier 3 to this map tier 3 is like the difference from Normal EQ to Uncollected. It's absolutely bonkers. Please tone down the map. It's killing all the fun of war. It's demoralizing to barely hit 70% exploration. Every alliance we've played against in tier 3 is doing the same thing. Nobody can clear this incredibly nutso map. It's not fun. It's frustrating and annoying. The increase in rewards doesn't even begin to cover the increase in difficulty.

Comments

• Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    hurricant said:

Kabam nice job on the map layout, way better than the previous map. It's nice that anyone can teleport anywhere. But these nodes in tier 3 are absolutely ridiculous. We played some tier 3 in the previous map, and were always able to clear with deaths. In this map, we skip 4 islands and still can't kill the boss because it's so difficult. The different from previous map tier 3 to this map tier 3 is like the difference from Normal EQ to Uncollected. It's absolutely bonkers. Please tone down the map. It's killing all the fun of war. It's demoralizing to barely hit 70% exploration. Every alliance we've played against in tier 3 is doing the same thing. Nobody can clear this incredibly nutso map. It's not fun. It's frustrating and annoying. The increase in rewards doesn't even begin to cover the increase in difficulty.

That was kinda their stated goal. They did not want people to complete it always, the problem is the completionist mentality is still there so we fight to clear everything because the other team may.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    Lormif said:

hurricant said:

That was kinda their stated goal. They did not want people to complete it always, the problem is the completionist mentality is still there so we fight to clear everything because the other team may.
    They actually dropped the goal that 100% should be rare. It's contrary to everything else in the game. By now they must know that the idea that the difficulty of the new map is roughly equivalent is laughable. Still seeing way more deaths from Plat 1-2 alliances than previously.
  • Options
    LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

Lormif said:

hurricant said:

They actually dropped the goal that 100% should be rare. It's contrary to everything else in the game. By now they must know that the idea that the difficulty of the new map is roughly equivalent is laughable. Still seeing way more deaths from Plat 1-2 alliances than previously.
    fair enough, but they also lowered the difficulty too. I am one tier away so I cannot speak to its difficulty though.
  • Options
    GreywardenGreywarden Posts: 843 ★★★★
    Not to sound elitist but once your multiplier starts going up the difficulty should be as well. I remember when I made that transition into the harder nodes on the old map and it was tough in the beginning but eventually you get used to it and if you’ve made it this far and want to keep that multiplier you will need to adapt.
  • Options

Not to sound elitist but once your multiplier starts going up the difficulty should be as well. I remember when I made that transition into the harder nodes on the old map and it was tough in the beginning but eventually you get used to it and if you’ve made it this far and want to keep that multiplier you will need to adapt.

@Greywarden Agreed. That is just the way of things. I remember when my Alliance was teetering between T6 and T5. The jump in difficulty felt insane. Now, we're in high t4 dancing close too t3. We've won 11 of the last 12 wars we fought (won out the Off Season, and 5 streak in the beginning of the Season). I can imagine we're gonna take a beating when we advance to t3, and we're prepared for such. Eventually, we'll learn the Expert nodes and be able to stay in T3 without too much trouble. Everytime you encounter a new map difficulty in AW, there's for SURE a learning curve. As long as you bare that in mind, you won't be as discouraged when things go sideways.
  • Options
    Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    Easy answer, drop to a tier you can manage or accept that full exploration isn’t in your toolbox. Not meant to be argumentative, just kinda the facts since I think it’s obvious they’re not gonna nerf tier 3 or any tier maps because someone says it’s hard.

🐻
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,670 Guardian

Lormif said:

hurricant said:

The 100% completion thing was always a meta-goal, not the actual goal. The goal of the design of the war maps is actually to make wars more decisive, which unfortunately depends on how hard players decide to push to win a war.

If war maps were too easy then everyone would skate through them, and it would be difficult to tell which alliance did so "better." Someone would win, but the point difference would seem too arbitrary. Conversely, if war maps were too hard then no one would get very far and again, it would be difficult to tell which alliance was better. The "perfect" difficulty is one where when two alliances that are roughly comparable in strength fight the point differential is as high as possible, so the war seems to have been won as decisively as possible. In a metaphorical sense the map is a lens that looks at the difference in strength between the two alliances. The difficulty is its focal length. Telescopes let us see the difference between two points far away. Microscopes let us see the difference between two points close together. What we want is a good pair of binoculars to see where two alliances stand.

The problem is that at the highest tiers of war most alliances are pushing so strongly to complete the maps 100% that there isn't an easy level of difficulty capable of doing that. They keep increasing difficulty because alliances keep pushing past the difficulty almost equally well, making the wars often closer than desired. The closer the war, the more likely it was determined by luck rather than skill and strategic development (i.e. roster strength, defense placement, etc).

Unfortunately Kabam hasn't found a way to make wars more decisive other than just cranking up the raw difficulty. Things like the defensive buff are intended to experiment with ways to find a less brutal way of doing that, but it is slow going.
  • Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Honestly I find it easier than the old map playing in tier 2, and my bg tends to have lower deaths
  • Options
    Patchie93Patchie93 Posts: 1,898 ★★★★
    My alliance managed to be in tier 3 most of the season and you get use to it. Its also the job of officers to make sure people are put on paths they can handle. If you can't handle the higher tiers don't worry soon enough you'll lose enough wars to drop back down
  • Options
    Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,159 ★★★★
    Tier 2 is even more fun *sigh*