**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Jane Fosters heavy attack is bugged (misses enemies right next to her)

2»

Comments

• World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,566 ★★★★★
    edited January 2020
    Here’s a vid from last night after. I perform the same action multiple times, a dash attack and then a heavy attack. I whiff at 9 & 11 seconds but I connect with the enemy twice after that, performing the exact same action. I am as close as I can get to the enemy. How is it possible to get any closer after just hitting the enemy??

https://youtu.be/Futc4dl34wc
    This continues to occur. I have a few other vids but it appears to be a waste of my time.
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,106 ★★★★★
    edited February 2020
    I agree after watching some of them. It's not consistent. Something seems off. You can clearly see her move forward on some and remain virtually stationary on others. Regardless of whether it is wise to launch a heavy against an AI that is not stunned or frame locked, the inconsistency is there as described as far as I can tell.
  • LovekLovek Posts: 216 ★★★
    I have exactly same problem with jane foster...
  • taonesstaoness Posts: 16
    Admittedly, I'm no video game expert, but I do play a lot of them... and I dabble in photoshoppy-things, which is great for this kinda stuff.

Given that each opposing-champion in these foster-blooper reels are going to vary in size, animation-space, hit-box, it seems as though the determining factor on when her heavy attack will connect is based on the distance created when successfully landing a dashing-medium attack, vs feeding a dashing-medium attack into the block of the defender—e.g. if you dash-attack into their block, then charge for a heavy, you'll land your heavy, provided the opponent doesn't move back.

I took some frames from the videos above and found the following—and again, I can't claim to know where these opponent hit boxes are, so I took a few measurements:

From lurking around other threads in the past, I've noticed there's a massive grey area in expectations and verbiage when Kabam speaks on a topic. "You're too far away," is technically a correct answer to the behavior that we're seeing. However, the question shouldn't be a matter of too far away or not; the question is SHOULD Jane Fosters dashing-medium attack create too much space to follow up with a heavy attack, when no other champion follows this model. And unfortunately, being that JF likely won't get the well needed attention she needs in a balance, you likely won't find enough people participating in this thread, to really make big enough waves for a change.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I work in Software Development as a Quality Engineer—and I approve this bug.
  • taonesstaoness Posts: 16
    edited February 2020
    I realize now, the last "START OF TORSO" marker is off, by maybe 15px?? but I'm lazy, and refused to fix it. That said, if "START OF TORSO" was the measurement we were going by, the distance is still greater when actually landing a dash-medium, when comparing between the two.
    edited February 2020
    Video in arena from today
    iOS 13.3.1
    MCoC 25.3
    iPad 6th gen

Repeat of the same issue with JF heavy attack. Not sure how much closer I can get after just hitting the enemy. Notice the stutter step as the enemy moves closer to me when I miss. There are 4 times I’ve highlighted in the vid.

https://youtu.be/EnlYLNsPD8E
  • STUTTER STEP by Opponent.
    This is probably what is causing the problem.
    Whenever the opponent moves (no matter how slightly), JaneFoster algorithm is probably assuming that opponent is beginning a full and complete MEDIUM Attack (AI version of swiping to attack Jane).

Your most recent Video above, the 2nd attempt shows JaneFoster doing her “Short-Heavy” and it lands because Opponent is doing a full Medium dash towards you. Think that was the only example of that in latest video). All other examples either fall into the Miss or Success categories below...

If opponent is instead doing like a slight release of opponents block, or opponent starts to “walk” towards you (before stopping to go back into a Block mode), JaneFoster is still assuming it will be a much shorter distance that is needed for her Heavy (assuming opponent will still be continuing toward you with a Medium).

In the successful Heavy cases, opponent is fully standing still (stunned from Parry, or in a Block mode, or otherwise has not reached the time yet where he begins to “walk” from a standstill position).

This seems to match with your earlier videos as well. All those “misses” were while Opponent has done a little “Stutter”.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,605 Guardian
    edited February 2020
    ** So Kabam just needs to modify Jane Foster's Heavy to ALWAYS do a full distance Heavy Attack. And not just calculate whether it should be long or short based on any movement the opponent might be doing.

KABAM, CAN YOU LOOK INTO THIS, now that the problem seems to be pinpointed.
    Another month passes and the whiffing continues...

https://youtu.be/Y7LRgiGHBgQ
  • (last video...)
    Yep, clear to see (especially with your on screen notes when happens) that opponents Namor and Cable are doing some type of “Stutter-Stop”.

I could see if they were actually evading backwards, like we can do on offense, but instead looks like a tiny beginning of the “walk towards you” and then Stopping to Block right away.

Jane Foster algorithm must be assuming they will continue to walk towards you even more, and so she thinks she only needs to do a short-reach version of her Heavy.
    edited August 2020
    Repeat of the same poorly designed heavy attack that whiffs using Jane Foster.

How can I be “out of range” after I just hit into the enemy block?
    You can’t get any closer.

When it comes time to rework this champ, hopefully Kabam will fix this problem/bug

https://youtu.be/Av6U7AwClc4