**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

I am a terrible player.

DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
Honestly, I can't describe any more than that atm. My roster is actually amazing atm with a 5* R4 duped Ghost (whom I know how to use very well) and a 5* R4 Venom as well as 5* R3 duped OML and 5* R3 Sparkles not to mention 5* R3 Symbiote Supreme. I've worked and worked at this game as hard as I can and I almost have my first 6* champ which is amazing. The only problem is, I am an absolute terrible player. I can intercept, I can parry, I can backdash & dex well but I'm just not a good player. This may sound confusing but I can't do much right at this point. I can't beat the FIRST quest of 5.3 which is something that should be supremely easy for me at this point. Not to mention the fact I don't deserve the 5* I currently have. I tense up a lot and it hinders my gameplay to the extreme and I have no idea how to improve on it. I miss time attacks and I mess up a lot more than I should. Compared to a lot of my friends I am absolute trash. A friend that started at the same time as me has put effort in and has multiple r5s as well as cavalier after ~1 year of playing. I am stuck behind the gate that is 5.3 and I always have trouble even completing the UC events. I completed Collector with no units spent and no R4 5* but that doesn't seem to matter because I am obviously not skilled enough for the content I"m currently doing. I was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me advice on what I could do to improve. My intercepting is fine, baiting is fine, dexing is fine, I just mess up a lot from tension in my hands.

Comments

• DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
    BTW thank you to whoever responds it really does help me in my current situation. =)
  • LibralonixLibralonix Posts: 229
    I know how you feel to some degree (im the same, all the gear and no idea lol), all I can suggest is to watch plenty of youtube videos and practice practice practice. Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with on 5.3?
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,131 ★★★★★
    It doesn’t make sense when you say you use ghost very well yet having trouble completing UC eq. Is that an oxymoron?
    zuffy said:

It doesn’t make sense when you say you use ghost very well yet having trouble completing UC eq. Is that an oxymoron?

This EQ was easy for me but I can't explore this EQ despite this. Ghost is a character I do play well but I tend to lock up a lot (as I mentioned). Sorry, my words weren't exactly clear on this post.

I know how you feel to some degree (im the same, all the gear and no idea lol), all I can suggest is to watch plenty of youtube videos and practice practice practice. Is there anything in particular that you are struggling with on 5.3?

I just lock up waaayyyy too much when I begin having anxiety over a fight. The AIs don't seem to want to hit into my phase a whole lot either which forces me to intercept a **** ton more than I'd have to. I just recently awakened Ghost so I'm not sure how she does for me 5.3 atm. It could be better having her awakended but I shouldn't have to rely on Ghost to even do well.
  • ẞlооdẞlооd Posts: 2,005 ★★★★
    So, you're problem is just nerves messing you up too much? I have to say, that's a tough one to figure out.. Not sure what can be done there.
  • If you haven't yet, try listening to some music while you play it maybe have some background noise.
    ẞlооd said:

So, you're problem is just nerves messing you up too much? I have to say, that's a tough one to figure out.. Not sure what can be done there.

Yeah, it fs is nerves. I've just had so many lockups when I am so close and I just can't with that anymore.

If you haven't yet, try listening to some music while you play it maybe have some background noise.

I am generally more relaxed when I listen to music. I've never tried using music in intense fights in fear it'll distract me... maybe it's worth a try
  • zuffyzuffy Posts: 2,131 ★★★★★
    Learn to relax and try not to take the game too serious. That might help relief some anxiety.
  • NeotwismNeotwism Posts: 1,803 ★★★★★
    I dont know how old you are but it might help to have a few drinks before playing just to take the edge off. I know its difficult and takes practice but try not to rush. It took me a long time to figure it out, but u have more time to react than u realize. Getting in a hurry and hitting commands really quickly can lead to a lot of failed inputs and mistakes. Also try reminding yourself that its just a game. If u screw up so what. Just exit out and try again. No sense driving yourself crazy just because u messed up and died during a fight. Its just a game and supposed to be fun. If you arent having fun u may need a break. Take a week off or longer and regroup. The game will still be hear when u return. Who cares where your friends are in the game. Your just competing against yourself. Hope you figure out something to help so u can get back to having fun and enjoying the game.
  • WaynedavyWaynedavy Posts: 193
    Not sure how much arena you have done but this game is almost all about memorization, if you do more arena and get more familiar with the champs your tension should go down
  • DoonxDoonx Posts: 182
    I feel you. I am also a terrible player, I always depend on my units and some earned pots/revives to complete game contents. I am just enjoying the game. Thats all. No pressure. I have 2 5/65 champs, but my friends with only 4/55s are now cavalier/elders and Im still struggling to explore act5 lol 😎
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,172 ★★★★★

Honestly, I can't describe any more than that atm. My roster is actually amazing atm with a 5* R4 duped Ghost (whom I know how to use very well) and a 5* R4 Venom as well as 5* R3 duped OML and 5* R3 Sparkles not to mention 5* R3 Symbiote Supreme. I've worked and worked at this game as hard as I can and I almost have my first 6* champ which is amazing. The only problem is, I am an absolute terrible player. I can intercept, I can parry, I can backdash & dex well but I'm just not a good player. This may sound confusing but I can't do much right at this point. I can't beat the FIRST quest of 5.3 which is something that should be supremely easy for me at this point. Not to mention the fact I don't deserve the 5* I currently have. I tense up a lot and it hinders my gameplay to the extreme and I have no idea how to improve on it. I miss time attacks and I mess up a lot more than I should. Compared to a lot of my friends I am absolute trash. A friend that started at the same time as me has put effort in and has multiple r5s as well as cavalier after ~1 year of playing. I am stuck behind the gate that is 5.3 and I always have trouble even completing the UC events. I completed Collector with no units spent and no R4 5* but that doesn't seem to matter because I am obviously not skilled enough for the content I"m currently doing. I was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me advice on what I could do to improve. My intercepting is fine, baiting is fine, dexing is fine, I just mess up a lot from tension in my hands.

Just keep playing, and keep playing the hardest content you can manage. Watch videos on how to play champs (which you might already do) and how to counter defenders. Practice practice practice.
  • ZuroZuro Posts: 2,719 ★★★★★
    At the end of the day it doesn't really matter just play the game at your pace no need to be in a race to get to the next piece of content that is probably where most your stress comes from just take your time because if you rush you are bound to be more nervous which will lead to messing up more often
  • ẞlооdẞlооd Posts: 2,005 ★★★★

Well I've been playing 5 years and haven't even become uncollected if that makes you feel better

No way dude! I've seen you around. What's holding you back?
  • shadow_lurker22shadow_lurker22 Posts: 3,243 ★★★★★
    edited December 2019
    ẞlооd said:

Well I've been playing 5 years and haven't even become uncollected if that makes you feel better

No way dude! I've seen you around. What's holding you back?
    I don't know I can play just fine when I am doing eq aq and aw but I am about 3 quest away from it and every time I start the fights I just get slapped around for some reason so I kinda stopped where I was and never got back to it. I think I get nervous and mess up.
  • @DarkEternity as previously suggested, music is a great way to ease the nerves. Try not to worry about the outcome of the fight. Take it 1 hit at a time. I remember when 5.3 stopped me dead for a bit. Eventually, I got sick of it and pressed on through. Honestly, 5.3 was VERY irritating when I 1st went at it. Soon as I came out the other side, I absolutely trampled 5.4. So perhaps knowing that 5.4 is a bit more fun may give you the motivation needed to make a single pass through 5.3. I went for 5.4 exploration 1st over 5.3 and 5.2 (5.1 had long been 100%).

The game should be fun. If your nerves are getting in the way, take some time and find the fun factor in some aspect of the game. Heck, spend a few days looping fights in RoL to farm up L3 HPs and sharpen your timing to a razor's edge. Those fights are long, but they serve a good purpose in farming and timing. When you're hitting everything on cue, the nerves will dissipate. Seriously though, don't over think it. That's when you start making mistakes and getting floored. Super jealous of Sparkles and SS though, lol. I've been chasing both of those as 5*+.

Many players hit progression plateaus. Just gotta keep pushing yourself to do those fights that are holding you back. So what if you lose. Just keep exiting and starting over until you get the 1st fight down to a science. Then get the 1st and the 2nd, and so on. Once you've done this to get past the halfway mark of a certain quest map, that's when you can start contemplating using resources for the final fights if you've made it relatively unscathed. Units, Boosts, HPs, revives all come and go. You can always earn more. Keep challenging yourself and eventually you'll overcome whatever it is that's holding you back. Best of luck out there!
  • _I__I_ Posts: 306
    may be ur going in with the expectation that u will play as good as no hits players. then anxiety is eating u up. as soon as u get hit u become tensed n loose focus n so u feeling depressed. so I think first u must stop comparing ur self with anyone else. first just be urself. ur playing the game for ur enjoyment. not to prove ur worth to others. as soon as u realize ur playing it as ur the owner of ur account n there is nobody who can snatch away ur glory u will stop panicking n automatically u will relax n play better.ur not terrible player. u just need to stop putting more pressure on self. play to enjoy. not to prove someone anything.
  • TaZ_4178TaZ_4178 Posts: 506 ★★
    I suggest really focusing in on who your fighting...the actual champ you're fighting...master their movements timing etc so you know when to strike! Once I started doing that I became at least 3x better. I hope that helps keep pushing also don't underestimate the power of YouTube watch players better than you and learn from them.
  • HalleyHalley Posts: 386 ★★
    You're just stressed out! Take it easy...
  • SlashingSunsetSlashingSunset Posts: 244 ★★
    We all have been there man. What I would suggest, is to attempt any of these harder content without any distractions around you. No loud sounds, a TV running in the background or music etc. Lock yourself in a room, and concentrate on the fights at hand. And then the actual fighting part...maybe you're stressing out too much that you won't get the Parry or Phasing with ghost on time. Relaxxx
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    I think you just need endurance. Practice playing stun immune against WS until it’s fairly easy to 1 shot without taking barely any blocked hits. The AI does ramp up in 5.3, and you do have to play pretty much perfect if you aren’t using beefy 4/55+.
  • Star_Lord_Star_Lord_ Posts: 528 ★★★
    Stress management. If you grind arenas, play monthly events, etc, there is not a lot of skill involved, hence lower stress. Whenever you try endgame content or content above your limit you really have to be ready for it. Your mind needs to be right. If your mind is right, usually the body follows suit. For me whenever I stop arenas to play act 6, Variants, etc, I have to take a break before starting, really focus on it, try a few fights and then begin when my timing is right. If you can't pull it together, then walk away and return later. Also play YOUR game and try your best not to compare yourself to friends, alliance mates, and especially you tubers. This journey is yours.
  • BogiaBogia Posts: 125
    It may be a matter of your device. I felt the same way when I was using my old iPad; got a new one, and felt like a God when I was playing.
  • JJPThorJJPThor Posts: 44
    edited December 2019
    It’s funny you say you can play with ghost. I’m terrible with her but with practice and patience I found 5.3 manageable it’s just tedious. It sounds to me that you are struggling with 5.3 because of the nerves and the fact 5.3 contains long fights and concentration due to the attack reduction. You say you can dex, parry and bait specials which are the tools you need to get through 5.3 so I would concentrate on keeping calm. I normally get quite anxious when tackling the well known difficult fights in the game and I just make needless errors and end up spending on revives in which now I take a step back and make sure Im clued up on that particular fight by watching videos and tips. Too many times I’ve been impatient and gone into fights blind and then get disheartened that I can’t get through content. Personally for me things just start to click sometimes and I get in the zone then I’ll play the next day and im useless you just need to be in the right frame of mind. Good luck