**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Warlock Offensive Reduction NOT working

E_Rich423E_Rich423 Posts: 121 ★★
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
Since the "Update" on Warlock back in October, Warlock pretty much lost ALL his ability accuracy reduction. I understand on his release he was "bugged" by reducing virtually everything, but now when I use him, everything still procs. For example Juggernaut's Unstoppable should not proc if Warlock has 4 infections on him, correct? That is considered and "offensive ability". And at 3 infections he only has a 10% chance of getting that. Same with nodes as well like "Footloose" and "mighty charge". That has to be considered an Offensive Ability, yet is no longer reduced by Warlock. Obviously Warlock is still solid but it clearly states a VERY intriguing attribute in his description, yet NEVER actually works? Can someone show me what I'm missing exactly? Please no hypotheticals as in what should or shouldn't work based on your interpretation of the description. I would prefer people who consistently use him recently and can show what ACTUALLY does work with that specific ability.

Comments

• danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★
    I don’t think unstoppable is an offensive ability, pretty sure it’s just an ability. AA should turn it off, warlock should not
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Offensive abilities are abilities that happen when striking the opponent; the abilities you’ve listed (Jugg’s unstoppable and footloose are abilities, abilities that activate when using a special attack).
  • E_Rich423E_Rich423 Posts: 121 ★★
    If you categorized all of the "abilities" in the game, I would assume everything would be listed as either a "defensive ability" or an "offensive ability". A defensive ability is something triggered upon being attacked and an offensive ability is triggering something while attacking. All of the nodes and abilities in this game is either triggered by an action done by the attacker or a reaction by the defender. You should be able to see that all abilities and nodes fit into one column or another. With that understanding, why wouldnt "launching a special that has an added benefit to it" be an "offensive ability"? If it's not considered that then what category would it fall under?
    edited July 2020
    E_Rich423 said:

If you categorized all of the "abilities" in the game, I would assume everything would be listed as either a "defensive ability" or an "offensive ability". A defensive ability is something triggered upon being attacked and an offensive ability is triggering something while attacking. All of the nodes and abilities in this game is either triggered by an action done by the attacker or a reaction by the defender. You should be able to see that all abilities and nodes fit into one column or another. With that understanding, why wouldnt "launching a special that has an added benefit to it" be an "offensive ability"? If it's not considered that then what category would it fall under?

If you categorized all of the abilities in the game in such a way you would be misunderstanding how the game functions. This would leave you confused about how offensive and defensive ability accuracy modification functions. You’d then be confused why Jugg’s unstoppable, footloose and mighty charge do not function how you imagined them to function.

It’s super simple offensive abilities are abilities that occur when striking, defensive abilities are abilities that occur when being struck.

To be more precise, and this may be confusing or too advanced to comprehend, offensive ability accuracy modification reduces ability accuracy when striking for .x seconds. That window of .x seconds can lead to shutting off abilities that would normally not interact with offensive ability accuracy.

To answer the question there are no categories, there are just abilities that can be modified under defined circumstances. Abilities that occur when launching a special attack would be subject to ability accuracy reduction and special attack ability accuracy reduction.

P.S. Explaining offensive/defensive ability accuracy modification is still the best way to farm disagrees from ignorant people who cannot challenge a simple sentence.
    A lot of my confusion that this dirived from w

E_Rich423 said:

Actually, there are more than just 2 kinds of Abilities in-game.

Offensive Abilities occur while attacking the opponent, Defensive abilities occur when being attacked by the opponent. If an ability activates outside of those two spaces, then it is neither, such as Juggernaut's Unstoppable that triggers whenever you activate a special attack.

OR, it can be either, like Magik's Limbo from her Signature ability. If you cross the threshold of a bar of Power while you're attacking the opponent, it can activate as an offensive ability, but if you cross the threshold of a bar of Power while being attacked, it can activate as a defensive ability.
    So out of curiosity what should warlock actually be reducing while I’m using him? What benefits do I have from this ability while I have warlock on offence? I’d have thought juggernaut triggering unstoppable was pretty offensive while he’s attacking you

That's my question as well really. Unless you are taking combos to the face, it's not super helpful
  • RocketWaffleRocketWaffle Posts: 136
    edited July 2020

But wait...what if magik's limbo is activated by a passive power gain? (Flow, anyone?) 🤔

Then it wouldnt be offensive or defensive, it would just be an ability and wouldnt be affected by offensive or defensive ability accuracy reduction.
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★

But wait...what if magik's limbo is activated by a passive power gain? (Flow, anyone?) 🤔

Then it wouldnt be offensive or defensive, it would just be an ability and wouldnt be affected by offensive or defensive ability accuracy reduction.
    So...I guess there's offensive, defensive AND passive abilities huh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Well...that's why champs with concussion like quake, taskmaster, and champs with abilities that reduce "ability accuracy" like awakened AA and blade with danger sense are golden!
    Clearly there are more than 2 abilities lol that's not what was said at all. I just felt that all of the many different abilities would be classified as either defensive or offensive type of ability

E_Rich423 said:

Offensive Abilities occur while attacking the opponent, Defensive abilities occur when being attacked by the opponent. If an ability activates outside of those two spaces, then it is neither, such as Juggernaut's Unstoppable that triggers whenever you activate a special attack.

OR, it can be either, like Magik's Limbo from her Signature ability. If you cross the threshold of a bar of Power while you're attacking the opponent, it can activate as an offensive ability, but if you cross the threshold of a bar of Power while being attacked, it can activate as a defensive ability.
    So out of curiosity what should warlock actually be reducing while I’m using him? What benefits do I have from this ability while I have warlock on offence? I’d have thought juggernaut triggering unstoppable was pretty offensive while he’s attacking you

“Offensive Abilities occur while attacking the opponent”. If it happens when warlock is attacked it’s subject to the OOAR; That includes so many things it’d be ridiculous to list off. It’s not super useful when using warlock because you’re generally doing your best to not be struck but it can do some things. It’s more useful for his defensive kit; which is counter intuitive due to the language.

Less noticed uses on offense would be something like.

Black Widow’s ability reduction when striking the opponent. (It allows you to parry her more often while she’s infected.)

• Kinetic Transference - 3 (It can prevent the power gain.)
    Blocked attacks cause the Defender to gain X% Power. If the Blocked attack dealt 0 damage, the amount of Power gained is doubled

• The parry stun on Tenacity - 3 (It can allow your parry stuns to stick at a higher rate)
    When inflicted with a Debuff, this Defender has a 75% chance to Purify the effect
    Seraphion said:

Offensive abilities are abilities that happen when striking the opponent; the abilities you’ve listed (Jugg’s unstoppable and footloose are abilities, abilities that activate when using a special attack).

Wow. Everything you said is wrong :D
    Cannot tell if that’s sarcasm, if not please explain how that is different from Kabam. I’d like to know where the disconnect is if that isn’t a joke.

<

It would not stop Juggernaut's Unstoppable because it isn't technically an Offensive Ability, since it doesn't align with a hit. He'll become Unstoppable even if his Special Attack is Evaded; Vision's Power Burn, on the other hand, only activates if his attack hits.

• BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,278 ★★★★★
    edited July 2020

<

It would not stop Juggernaut's Unstoppable because it isn't technically an Offensive Ability, since it doesn't align with a hit. He'll become Unstoppable even if his Special Attack is Evaded; Vision's Power Burn, on the other hand, only activates if his attack hits.

Attacking in its myriad forms should be offensive, I don't know why it would be otherwise. Proc on hit, proc on swing and whiff, and proc on attack activation should all still be offensive.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

E_Rich423 said:

“Offensive Abilities occur while attacking the opponent”. If it happens when warlock is attacked it’s subject to the OOAR; That includes so many things it’d be ridiculous to list off. It’s not super useful when using warlock because you’re generally doing your best to not be struck but it can do some things. It’s more useful for his defensive kit; which is counter intuitive due to the language.

Less noticed uses on offense would be something like.

Black Widow’s ability reduction when striking the opponent. (It allows you to parry her more often while she’s infected.)

• Kinetic Transference - 3 (It can prevent the power gain.)
    Blocked attacks cause the Defender to gain X% Power. If the Blocked attack dealt 0 damage, the amount of Power gained is doubled

• The parry stun on Tenacity - 3 (It can allow your parry stuns to stick at a higher rate)
    When inflicted with a Debuff, this Defender has a 75% chance to Purify the effect
    That’s what I was thinking, generally the only time it’ll be used is when you have to block or parry. So it should work against for example annihulus and reduce him applying his debuffs
  • Sunny2Sunny2 Posts: 183 ★★

E_Rich423 said:

I am confused how is activating an sp (which is when u r attacking an opponent) not considered offensive?

Sunny2 said:

E_Rich423 said:

I am confused how is activating an sp (which is when u r attacking an opponent) not considered offensive?
    Because you're not hitting anyone. It could be better explained by an ability that is activated when you're hitting the opponent, an ability that is activated when being hit, or an ability that is activated independant of those. A 50% chance to trigger bleed when you hit the opponent is an Offensive Ability. A 50% chance to activate Unstoppable when you do a special attack, regardless of if it hits the opponent, is not an offensive ability.
    Why have you made this so complicated? An offensive ability is only one that procs when you land an actual hit, not blocked? Does that make a defensive ability one that only procs on your getting hit? With every other thing being in that nebulous grey in-between?
  • None of this is new guys, this is how it's always been, and we've talked about it many times before.

Sunny2 said:

E_Rich423 said:

Because you're not hitting anyone. It could be better explained by an ability that is activated when you're hitting the opponent, an ability that is activated when being hit, or an ability that is activated independant of those. A 50% chance to trigger bleed when you hit the opponent is an Offensive Ability. A 50% chance to activate Unstoppable when you do a special attack, regardless of if it hits the opponent, is not an offensive ability.
    Why have you made this so complicated? An offensive ability is only one that procs when you land an actual hit, not blocked? Does that make a defensive ability one that only procs on your getting hit? With every other thing being in that nebulous grey in-between?
    Where did he omit blocking? You can still hit a block. And OOAR includes blocked hits.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,602 Guardian
    So because UC/Jugg can SP and potentially never even reach opponent if opponent stays far enough back, is not considered offensive. But hitting into someone’s block “would be”.
    So why wouldn’t an SP that DOES make contact not then count as offensive.

Still odd, because the point of doing an SP is to TRY and hit the opponent (well, except for Spider-Gwen's OLD SP1, lol).

I know Miike said it’s been discussed many times, but going back 4+ years ago it seems like there really wasn’t this Offensive vs Defensive AAR. The few champs that had it just seemed to be AAR for everything. Seems to have gotten too complex when champs started to differentiate between different types of AAR.

So because UC/Jugg can SP and potentially never even reach opponent if opponent stays far enough back, is not considered offensive. But hitting into someone’s block “would be”.
    So why wouldn’t an SP that DOES make contact not then count as offensive.

Still odd, because the point of doing an SP is to TRY and hit the opponent (well, except for Spider-Gwen's OLD SP1, lol).

I know Miike said it’s been discussed many times, but going back 4+ years ago it seems like there really wasn’t this Offensive vs Defensive AAR. The few champs that had it just seemed to be AAR for everything. Seems to have gotten too complex when champs started to differentiate between different types of AAR.

I agree. What I think happened was, Warlock got released and was shutting things down, and was more over powered than expected. They fixed it, now it only covers such a very small amount of options. A) Why not just let it be just general accuracy reduction? Even if they lowered it to where 1 infection was 10-15% would be better than this very niche, not ideally explained ability. B ) Make it "defensive" accuracy reduction, which would actually make a lot more sense, since that actually covers more opportunities on offense?

None of this is new guys, this is how it's always been, and we've talked about it many times before.

It's always been confusing and not entirely logical (like many things in the game, which you have admitted), so if it has always had consistency, it was internal to you guys and not us as evidenced by all the back and forth.