**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

Comments

• Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

If Nick Fury is the defender and fully unblockable, won't it be impossible to kill him? This seems like a MAJOR oversight by Kabam on a couple champions like Nick, Tigra, OR, and quite a few others

Again you can play around those mechanics, manage Nick’s Tactical Charges so he isn’t unblockable, place the appropriate debuffs on Tigra to prevent her unblockable or you know just dodge them.
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

If Nick Fury is the defender and fully unblockable, won't it be impossible to kill him? This seems like a MAJOR oversight by Kabam on a couple champions like Nick, Tigra, OR, and quite a few others

Again you can play around those mechanics, manage Nick’s Tactical Charges so he isn’t unblockable, place the appropriate debuffs on Tigra to prevent her unblockable or you know just dodge them.
    Lmd nick, permanent tactical charges unless using a nullifier, and while he’s unblockable and you’re waiting for charges to fall off, you have to light intercept him. Not fun in the slightest
    You can manage his tactical charges at all stages.
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Lmd nick, permanent tactical charges unless using a nullifier, and while he’s unblockable and you’re waiting for charges to fall off, you have to light intercept him. Not fun in the slightest
    How do you hit into his block or play aggressively to stop him from throwing sp1s when you can’t move?
    Do not put yourself in that position where you need to worry that his l1 is unblockable. Without a fury keep him at 11 charges or less, with a fury keep him between 10 and 15 charges.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

How do you hit into his block or play aggressively to stop him from throwing sp1s when you can’t move?
    Do not put yourself in that position where you need to worry that his l1 is unblockable. Without a fury keep him at 11 charges or less, with a fury keep him between 10 and 15 charges.
    But how with rooted? Just a genuine question so I can plan
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

You will not be constantly rooted, you’ll have a timer and even an opportunity to bypass it at times. It’ll be a learning experience however you can adjust your play style to play around various champions mechanics while rooted.
  • Options

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

You will not be constantly rooted, you’ll have a timer and even an opportunity to bypass it at times. It’ll be a learning experience however you can adjust your play style to play around various champions mechanics while rooted.
    Are you sure it isn’t just a permanent root?
  • Options
    spaceoctopusspaceoctopus Posts: 1,111 ★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Just a guess here. Swipe down to root, swipe up to uproot.

Not that I hope that’s the case, I think that would open up a shipping crate full of worms.

• Options
    DrZola said:

Voltolos said:

DrZola said:

Kabam Boo said:

LET'S GET TO THE ROOT OF IT!

Exciting news Summners! A new GAMEPLAY MECHANIC is being introduced in this Meta Event! A new effect type, ROOT.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise). You just won’t do any lateral movement associated with those actions. We hope to explore this new effect on further global buffs or even characters/buffs for players to use! So make sure to try them out and let us know what you think.

WHERE DO I SEE IT?

Each day, on every difficulty, they’ll be a Global buff that uses Root in a slightly different way to give you a feel for it. The difficulty has been tuned around these buffs, so there shouldn’t be too much complexity going on around them. Unless you want to take a swing at Legendary, where an extra wrinkle has been added to keep you on your feet.

WHERE CAN I SHARE MY FEEDBACK?

Right HERE in this thread!

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Cheerio!

Some newer champs even capitalize the term “Dodge” as if it were a term of art in game, like Longshot above.

Dr. Zola
    Dexterity uses "Dodging" in its description so I assume that dodging is supposed to be specifically using dexterity to avoid an attack
    Dodging an attack doesn’t require dexterity; you can dodge without dexterity but not projectiles. Additionally champions like Invisible Woman, Vulture and Nightcrawler all have the ability to dodge projectiles absent the dexterity mastery.

Here is Longshot proccing karma without the dexterity mastery by dodging attacks.
    Are all those dodges or misses? Or evades? Is it like a Tigra miss?

Which is the root of my point...consistent terminology. It’s gotten better over the years, but could stand a solid language cleanup across the board.
    What? It’s a dodge. Perhaps the dictionary definition of dodge would help you understand.

dodge
    /däj/

verb
    avoid (someone or something) by a sudden quick movement.

If that doesn’t help you out the dexterity mastery says that while dodging backwards your champions are not stuck by attacks. It’s doesn’t give you the ability to dodge backwards it enhances that ability when used.

Furthermore did you forget the screenshot that specifically states Longshot gains Karma dodging attacks? He’s gaining Karma from that action, he is dodging attacks.

Miss and evade all have associated call outs.

Where is anything inconsistent here? Dodge cannot be any simpler.
  • Options
    Jestress said:

Can't wait to be rooted while opponent launches an unblockable special

That is covered in the 3rd and fourth sentence of the thread; if you can be bothered to read that far why bother replying?

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise).
  • Options
    Jestress said:

Jestress said:

That is covered in the 3rd and fourth sentence of the thread; if you can be bothered to read that far why bother replying?

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise).
    Let me rephrase, since you'd rather be snarky.

How do you plan to mitigate being rooted while an opponent launches an unblockable special that cannot be evaded with ease, such as an aarkus, storm x, or apoc sp2?
    If you cannot easily evade it what does it matter if you’re rooted or not? And those specials are not unblockable.
  • Options
    Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

How do you plan to mitigate being rooted while an opponent launches an unblockable special that cannot be evaded with ease, such as an aarkus, storm x, or apoc sp2?
    If you cannot easily evade it what does it matter if you’re rooted or not? And those specials are not unblockable.
    Some special attacks are much easier to evade with distance from the opponent.

I'm aware the referenced attacks are not naturally unblockable, but rooted will be a permanent addition to the game. I'm sure we'll see the node combo eventually.

I can also see things like void on a rooted + long distance relationship node.
    Completely countered by numerous champion’s abilities if you lack the ability to play around the mechanics themselves.
  • Options
    Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

I'm aware the referenced attacks are not naturally unblockable, but rooted will be a permanent addition to the game. I'm sure we'll see the node combo eventually.

Completely countered by numerous champion’s abilities if you lack the ability to play around the mechanics themselves.
    nice!
  • Options

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
    Examples of what? Champions that can block unblockable specials or shrug debuffs?
  • Options

Crcrcrc said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
    Examples of what? Champions that can block unblockable specials or shrug debuffs?
    A counter to void on a rooted + long distance relationship node. You acted like it was really easy so give a counter
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,781 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
    A counter to void on a rooted + long distance relationship node. You acted like it was really easy so give a counter
    A champ that can shrug debuffs. Thinking aegon.
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
    If you are unable to manage your combo while also using heavy attacks to knock void away from you then you can use a champion who shrugs debuffs like Elsa, mole man, aarkus, Nick fury, or someone like task master who will become immune to debuffs.
  • Options
    VoltolosVoltolos Posts: 1,120 ★★★
    Jestress said:

Buttehrs said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

Jestress said:

WHAT DOES IT DO?

Example please
    A champ that can shrug debuffs. Thinking aegon.
    here's another one...

let's go with a mordo with rooted + close encounters
    You're just making up scenarios now. I can come up with many horrible node combinations that dont need rooted at all like:
    Void on "Healblock - Debuff", "close encounters" and "long distance relationship"
  • Options
    DrZola said:

DrZola said:

Voltolos said:

DrZola said:

Kabam Boo said:

LET'S GET TO THE ROOT OF IT!

Exciting news Summners! A new GAMEPLAY MECHANIC is being introduced in this Meta Event! A new effect type, ROOT.

WHAT DOES IT DO?

When Rooted, a Champion's movement is locked. You can still perform any action, but you won’t move from your location when doing so. So for example, you can still dodge special attacks with Dexterity, Parry, and use your own Special Attacks (Unless a global buff says otherwise). You just won’t do any lateral movement associated with those actions. We hope to explore this new effect on further global buffs or even characters/buffs for players to use! So make sure to try them out and let us know what you think.

WHERE DO I SEE IT?

Each day, on every difficulty, they’ll be a Global buff that uses Root in a slightly different way to give you a feel for it. The difficulty has been tuned around these buffs, so there shouldn’t be too much complexity going on around them. Unless you want to take a swing at Legendary, where an extra wrinkle has been added to keep you on your feet.

WHERE CAN I SHARE MY FEEDBACK?

Right HERE in this thread!

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Cheerio!

Some newer champs even capitalize the term “Dodge” as if it were a term of art in game, like Longshot above.

Dr. Zola
    Dexterity uses "Dodging" in its description so I assume that dodging is supposed to be specifically using dexterity to avoid an attack
    Dodging an attack doesn’t require dexterity; you can dodge without dexterity but not projectiles. Additionally champions like Invisible Woman, Vulture and Nightcrawler all have the ability to dodge projectiles absent the dexterity mastery.

Here is Longshot proccing karma without the dexterity mastery by dodging attacks.
    Are all those dodges or misses? Or evades? Is it like a Tigra miss?

Which is the root of my point...consistent terminology. It’s gotten better over the years, but could stand a solid language cleanup across the board.
    What? It’s a dodge. Perhaps the dictionary definition of dodge would help you understand.

dodge
    /däj/

verb
    avoid (someone or something) by a sudden quick movement.

If that doesn’t help you out the dexterity mastery says that while dodging backwards your champions are not stuck by attacks. It’s doesn’t give you the ability to dodge backwards it enhances that ability when used.

Furthermore did you forget the screenshot that specifically states Longshot gains Karma dodging attacks? He’s gaining Karma from that action, he is dodging attacks.

Miss and evade all have associated call outs.

Where is anything inconsistent here? Dodge cannot be any simpler.
    At the risk of your providing me with an ever-so-helpful dictionary definition of the word “dexterity” (FYI it’s a noun, not a verb in ordinary English parlance), I offer this language from Korg’s description:

“Dodging using the Dexterity mastery” is what I understand is meant here—hence, the oft-used “Dexing an attack.” Also why people take the Dex mastery off from time to time (like when Dorm was everywhere in AW) so one could Dodge without Dexterity-ing—just like your Longshot was doing.

But that’s not what it says. It says “Evade or Dexterity.” Not Dodge. Not Dodge using Dexterity.

Back to my point...we have Dodging, Dexterity-ing (which I presume Boo means when he says “[uncapitalized] dodge...with Dexterity” above), Dodging with/using Dexterity, as well as Evading, Auto-evading, Missing, Faltering and probably some other things related to attacks and movement and contact I can’t think of because I’m not sitting right next to my Webster’s Dictionary.

Relevance? Because of Rooted and its potential applications. If a mechanic is going to affect every single one of the ways we have come to know for moving and playing the game, it’s fair to try to understand how that across all the different nomenclatures.

Side note: you’ve played the game a long time—I’m sure you realize descriptions and terminology have many times been unclear and/or inconsistent and/or just not explained at all. And that long standing game interactions can suddenly become “unintended.” Rather than trying to score cute points, just share your experience and be constructive next time.

Dr. Zola
    Gish gallop. Using dexterity is using dexterity and dodging is dodging. Dexterity is an enhancement of the dodge ability, by default using dexterity is dodging. Miss is missing and evade is evading.

Yes, I have played the game and understand the importance of clarity, dodge is well defined; refer to a dictionary.