**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

The Problem With Alliance Wars! (And How it Keeps Getting Worse)

War_BirdWar_Bird Posts: 242 ★★★

Alliance Wars have been out a long time & garnered a lot of hate through the years. It’s a high stress mode that only the most hardcore seem to really enjoy. But let’s get constructive & drive into the problems, & see of ways that could possibly solve these 3 main pain points.

⚫︎ The Cost Is Too High
The cost to Pots is nice these days thanks to Glory, but boosters are another story. And in cases where 1 fight can cost you a war, & where a war can cost a season, you are always going to want to boost.
Proposed Solution...

Make normal boosters unusable for AW, aside from “AW specific” Boosters. Additionally, make this boosters attainable through Loyalty instead of Units. This way there is no pay wall, & no huge item cost since you get Loyalty from AW anyways, so the more you play AW, the more boosts you get for it. This system is already in place for some boosters such as Invulnerability Boosts & this has worked out extremely well.

⚫︎ It Ruins Defensive Champions

About 2 years ago, I’m willing to bet that people would’ve sold their right eye for a 6* Terrax. We all saw this years ago with similar champs like Korg & Dormammu. So what happened? Diversity. When Kabam released Terrax, they specifically said this champion was created mostly for defense, not offense. Only problem is, the Diversity system renders champions based around defense almost useless, since only one can be used per Battle Group.
Proposed Solution...
Do away with Diversity. The need for diversity is a problem of the past, back when every node in AW was identical. Now with Defender Tactics, this is no longer an issue. Only thing I would change, is force alliances to use different defender tactics every war. This way, they will want to change up their defenders, without Wars growing stale fighting the same defense on the same nodes.

⚫︎ The Competitiveness Is Lackluster
The competitiveness is lackluster, because 99.9% of the time, you are fighting opponents you don’t even know or care about. Competition comes from fighting friends & fellow players you know, not random opponents.
Proposed Solution...
Allow alliances to start a war against a specific alliance, as long as they are in the same tier. This way the competition stays real, & you can even rematch if the opponent (or yourself) is a sore loser. This is strictly an option though, & wars with randomized opponents should also continue to be on the table.

There are obviously other problems people might have with Alliance War. Some people might not like the rewards, & others might not like the competitiveness in general. So what do you think? Let’s talk...

Comments

• jaysavagejaysavage Posts: 348 ★★
    This all sounds cool but will probably never happen. Also where I live the timezones for AW are terrible. If they could extend AW attack 30 mins- 2 hours it would help SOOO many players.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★

There's actually a whole lot of boosts in the new solo crystals. Grinding those out regularly can seriously reduce the cost of seasons.

Also removing diversity is a horrible idea as has been stated. It just turns into maps stacked with absolutely awful defenders which are just a giant pain with defensive tactics

yup, i haven't used a single unit on boosts since the solo crystal change, and removing diversity is a hard pass, only players who don't do war could ever think this is anything other then a completely horrid idea
  • Realm_Of_RahRealm_Of_Rah Posts: 430 ★★★
    Do away with Diversity. The need for diversity is a problem of the past, back when every node in AW was identical. Now with Defender Tactics, this is no longer an issue. Only thing I would change, is force alliances to use different defender tactics every war. This way, they will want to change up their defenders, without Wars growing stale fighting the same defense on the same nodes.

No god no...I don't want to fight 10 Korgs/Green Goblins/Hyperions/Things. Diversity is amazing and necessary.
  • Agent_X_zzzAgent_X_zzz Posts: 4,494 ★★★★★
    Removing Defender Diversity may be the worst thing I have ever heard.
  • LilMaddogHTLilMaddogHT Posts: 1,165 ★★★★
    War_Bird said:

⚫︎ The Cost Is Too High

Really?... I have never once considered buying these AW specific Attack, Health, Health/Attack boosts. With the recent changes to the 7hr solo events providing 15% Attack boosts multiple times a day and then all the solo shards you can get that yield so many boosts in the Supreme solo crystals, I have more than enough boosts to where I can triple boost for pretty much every single fight on the map that I take...
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    I have to disagree with removing Diversity and allowing Alliances to choose their opponents.
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    edited November 2020
    AW's mechanics as they are right now are fine IMO. You get matched based on who's got the same war rating as you which is roughly working out at +/- 10-20 places at P2+, obviously the gap is a bit wider the lower down you go.

Diversity is an important mechanic as it's one of the few ways of breaking a deadlock, wars are won and lost on diversity because attack bonus has been identical. The only other way that I can think of them getting around this is weighting nodes but I don't like the idea of that particularly.

It's the only game mode where your individual thinking/strategising truly has an impact on someone else.

The rewards are a little bit lacklustre in my opinion but I don't play this game for rewards alone, I play the game because it's fun, the rewards should always be a byproduct of the game, not the other way around.

My biggest gripe with AW is the fact the potions still cost 260 glory and have done for months, whilst everything else has dropped in price, making them comparatively more expensive. This has come alongside the fact that now everybody from G2 and up is going to war with an attack team that are R5s and the further up the tree we go we're seeing more and more R3 6*. Healing up a R5 is roughly 4-5 Lv4 potions depending on the healthpool, this is the equivalent of 20% of your weekly glory. That's a massive investment. I dread to think what a boosted R3 6* would cost you. This brings me onto the other issue - the health potions are in dire need of a buff. They should be percentage based. a lv4 should heal 40%, lv3 30%, lv2 20% and the alliance revives should be percentage based as well. I wouldn't resent the 260 glory price tag so much if that was the case.
    Incase I didn't stress it enough, selecting opponents is a BAD idea. The last thing we need is more of a way to peck off whoever we want.
  • Yeah ima also say that being able to choose your own opponents would probably be taking a step backwards into keeping things fair
  • Yeah ima also say that being able to choose your own opponents would probably be taking a step backwards into keeping things fair

But I wanna fight bronze allies to keep me in P2🧐
    Mauled said:

Yeah ima also say that being able to choose your own opponents would probably be taking a step backwards into keeping things fair

But I wanna fight bronze allies to keep me in P2🧐
    To be fair, the OP said as long as they're in the same Tier, but that's still the same effect. The same Allies who know they will win everytime (fair or not), will pick whoever they want to take out.
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    Diversity... Don't just award points for being diverse, but subtract points for each duped defender. Then scale exponentially (minus points) for each additional dupe of the same defender so that it really hurts. That will ensure diversity at more levels of AW instead of just the higher ones where it really does make a difference as everyone is expected to 100 everytime.

In mid tier, we still face a good deal of the same repeat champ's cause people figure harder fights are more likely to stop someone in their tracks than possibly losing a war by a couple of diversity points. So many Things, Dooms, Korgs, Dominos, Killmongers in every BG.

War should be straight up too. Tone down some of the nodes, but don't allow any items. fights should be challenging, but not require boosts to have a chance if you have the right counters, skill and patience.