**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Opinions on Red Goblin?

Nick1109Nick1109 Posts: 594 ★★★
So I got him from 1 featured and I've been wanting him because he looks cool but does he offer any utility?

Comments

• Options
    Moot4LifeMoot4Life Posts: 2,132 ★★★★
    Hes aight
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    i got him as a 6 star unawakened and also a 5 star duped.

• Options
    Nick1109Nick1109 Posts: 594 ★★★

I have him as a duped 6r2. If I don't pull CGR before the featured expires, I'll be taking him up to r3. He's a very fun champion, but he does have his drawbacks, the biggest being that he's a ramp up champ. His frenzy phase is awesome, but it doesn't get practical until you have all 5 charges and even then you need to get the opponent down to 65% health before it activates. His base damage is low, but he gains a big attack bonus in Frenzy and has pretty big furies that are easy to get and easy to boost up with his Aptitude buff. He's also immune to Incinerate and Power Burn, which is nice, but it'd be better if it was all forms of Power Control since there aren't many times where you'd get your Power Burned when you're using him.
    If I could change him, I'd either get rid of his persistent charges altogether and have him always have Frenzy up at 65% or reduce his charges down to 3.

Thanks for the info bro he seems interesting and I like the incenerate immunity especially since I don't have Void yet unfortunately.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,806 ★★★★★
    He’s fun expect he’s currently bugged right now
  • Options
    NewlinstheoryNewlinstheory Posts: 1,012 ★★★★

I have him as a duped 6r2. If I don't pull CGR before the featured expires, I'll be taking him up to r3. He's a very fun champion, but he does have his drawbacks, the biggest being that he's a ramp up champ. His frenzy phase is awesome, but it doesn't get practical until you have all 5 charges and even then you need to get the opponent down to 65% health before it activates. His base damage is low, but he gains a big attack bonus in Frenzy and has pretty big furies that are easy to get and easy to boost up with his Aptitude buff. He's also immune to Incinerate and Power Burn, which is nice, but it'd be better if it was all forms of Power Control since there aren't many times where you'd get your Power Burned when you're using him.
    If I could change him, I'd either get rid of his persistent charges altogether and have him always have Frenzy up at 65% or reduce his charges down to 3.

Whole heartedly agree, I love mine, BUT THAT RAMP UP is just not fun. Lowering the charges would help a lot or like you said as well, just making the passive 65% w/ no persistent charges as well.

Also maybe Im greedy haha, but making 75% wouldn't hurt either lol
  • Options
    Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    Red Goblin is a fantastic champ..... after he is in frenzy, I’ll echo what everyone has said here, he is great with 5 charges.

Although; I don’t understand how that is such a big deal when you have to find charges with Corvus as well and they are spread out more.

If you ask me, he is stronger than Corvus if they both don’t have suicides after 5 charges . Can armor break on heavy, can power drain , and goes crazy with boost.

Corvus will be a shadow of himself once they did the 1% timeout bug.

I think RG is an excellent champ.
  • Options
    Sorry,
    Also forgot to add, he benefits significantly damage wise from his awakened ability and high signature ability , that sucks. I would compare it similar too:

Stealth suit spidey without high sig
    Void at low sig
    Mojo low signature
    Omega red low sig

Unless he is probably signature 150-170 I believe he ranks in the top 5 comics. Anything below that really hurts his value as an attacker.

He is also benefits greatly from synergies and the partners aren’t so great ( IP, Miles morales) 30% duration on buffs and 15% potency. Synergies has become a big part of my decision to take a champ up.
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,109 ★★★★
    Duped 6* too, here. Gutted about it and he is unlikely to see any play time at all, without a tune up.

He just can't replace CGR, Medusa, hype, corvus, venom, CMM in the cosmic bracket and probably doesn't get above Angela, cull, arkus, vtd and og Thor either. I can't genuinely see how he gets in the top 10 as his synergies make Carnage and black suit Spidey better than him too.

As to utility, venom does the spiders better as does slow/coldsnap and for incinerate immune, take your pick; torch, void, mephisto, rulk, even annihilus.

If you have no venom, shulk, sgwen, stealth, Iceman, arkus, meph, torch, void and there's an og Spiderman on freezer burn, then he may get a ride for one fight. Or if you are new to the game and have no other 6* or 5/65 and he's your only cosmic option.

Otherwise, his only skill is that he will keep the bench warmer than others.
  • Options
    Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    He is fun.. but not a great option when run Suicides
  • Options
    Maked0nasMaked0nas Posts: 1
    He has a bug, he doesn't keep energize after first sp1
  • Options

Duped 6* too, here. Gutted about it and he is unlikely to see any play time at all, without a tune up.

He just can't replace CGR, Medusa, hype, corvus, venom, CMM in the cosmic bracket and probably doesn't get above Angela, cull, arkus, vtd and og Thor either. I can't genuinely see how he gets in the top 10 as his synergies make Carnage and black suit Spidey better than him too.

As to utility, venom does the spiders better as does slow/coldsnap and for incinerate immune, take your pick; torch, void, mephisto, rulk, even annihilus.

If you have no venom, shulk, sgwen, stealth, Iceman, arkus, meph, torch, void and there's an og Spiderman on freezer burn, then he may get a ride for one fight. Or if you are new to the game and have no other 6* or 5/65 and he's your only cosmic option.

Otherwise, his only skill is that he will keep the bench warmer than others.

I don’t understand how you came to this conclusion ? If we are talking 6* that eliminates hype and Medusa , but just assuming you aren’t . You named probably some of the best champs ever dropped since the beginning of this game, which is not fair to this champ. Hyperion is probably the best champ in the entire game.

You can’t assume he is going to replace anyone. CMM without nick fury drops significantly in the ranking as a solo champ.

More importantly, he is seriously better than cull and Angela none of the champs you mentioned have any utility except VA.

If he has his 5 charges then he goes significantly higher as a top 5 cosmic champ and I don’t think anyone here can deny that .

I do agree venom has the better spidey counter evade , but then again a ton of champs have the ability to prevent evade nowadays.

I’m not saying he is the best champ in game, and it can feel a little annoying to build him up.

When Kabams fixes this entire 1% timeout bug, Corvus will go down significantly where he belongs.
  • Options
    Blackshadow0203Blackshadow0203 Posts: 171
    So as a proud owner of a 5* 5/65 sig 40 RG, I think I can add to this argument. First off, what cosmic champs are incinerate immune? Not Hyperion, cmm, corvus, cull, Angela, or aarkus.

Second, I understand the initial slog of getting to the SP 3 is a problem. There’s not really a faster way then to get the energize and beat into the opponent until ya get there. But that one buff unlocks useful utility. From that one buff, Red goblin becomes a havok/all or nothing counter cause of the power drain off of heavy attacks. And this goes for all his buffs. Red goblin shuts down opponents in V6 cause you can get a fury buff real quick and get access to armor break.

Third, the argument for who is the better spiderman counter is a difficult one. Venom relies on a buff that can easily be counter by any nullify. Red goblin gets easily countered by any node that increases evade ability accuracy above 100%. Both have pros and cons.

Another thing about the SP 3 ramp, a lot of champs rely on getting to the SP 3 to unlock large damage. Doom, one of the best characters in the game, relies on a sp 3 to start his rotation.

Plus something mentioned earlier in the thread, Red goblin is a great synergy partner. Carnage gets a huge bonus from Red goblin.

Red goblin doesn't rely on any synergy to be great, he’s only boosted by his fellow symbiotes, he’s incinerate immune, and has access to load of utility while his damage is hampered by a sp 3 requirement and a large benefit from his awakened ability (although not necessarily required).
  • Options
    Hi @Texas_11 and @Blackshadow0203

I am not saying he's rubbish, far from it. Just for my roster, he's near enough useless.

Just cosmic, I have 5/65 or 2/35 6*; hype, Medusa, annihilus, corvus (6*) and I have 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 cosmic gem and CMM, Angela, cull as 5* to take up. I also have 5/65 torch, 2/35 6* meph for incinerate immune and a bunch of op God tier to 5/65 or 2/35; red mags, collosus, shulk, white mags (6*), guardian, doc oc, wolverine, domino, HB (6*), archangel, Morningstar (6*)... Plus others.

So, for my roster, no, he has no uses and for others with similar rosters, I would assume the same applies.

Where does he even make the C team in mine? I was being generous when I said he'd warm the bench in my team. Even if I 2/35 him, I'm not sure if he'd even warrant AW D for diversity..

So no, I don't think he holds a place in a moderately developed team, but agree he will have uses for new accounts or the really unlucky.

• Options
    LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★

Yeah the fact he has 2 Forms of Ramp Up just to reach the Damage/Utility of other Ramp Up Champions that only take 1 Form of Ramp Up just makes no sense, he just feels so hindered...

I think a better way of doing his Frenzy and Bloodlust would be to remove the Persistent Charges Entirely and increase the Bloodlust Cap by 1 with it being an In-Fight Passive, have Frenzy Start at 65% on Base but at the Potency of what 1 Bloodlust would be with each subsequent 5% Removed Increasing the Potency of the Frenzy till you reach what would be equivalent to the Boost from 6 Bloodlust (Max Bloodlust reached at 35%).
  • Options
    Maybe a player can do a "why red goblin" post, on how he's better for what ever the context is. But, I just don't see it. Even in ramp up/persistent charge champs, he's not standing out as worth it. Aegon, Morningstar, corvus, cull, g2099, white mags, apoc - probably more that I am missing, if you have a ramp up champ there are far better to spend 5 fights on and who are more sustainable and deal better damage.

He's like airwalker, new and shiny, but completely outclassed by far too many in just the cosmic bracket.

Great for new or unlucky accounts though.
  • Options

Maybe a player can do a "why red goblin" post, on how he's better for what ever the context is. But, I just don't see it. Even in ramp up/persistent charge champs, he's not standing out as worth it. Aegon, Morningstar, corvus, cull, g2099, white mags, apoc - probably more that I am missing, if you have a ramp up champ there are far better to spend 5 fights on and who are more sustainable and deal better damage.

He's like airwalker, new and shiny, but completely outclassed by far too many in just the cosmic bracket.

Wow, you just compared red goblin to air walker. Bias aside, at least red goblin has an immunity. I’ve been meaning to do a red goblin write up anyway , maybe that “why red goblin” post will be a thing.
  • Options

Wow, you just compared red goblin to air walker. Bias aside, at least red goblin has an immunity. I’ve been meaning to do a red goblin write up anyway , maybe that “why red goblin” post will be a thing.
    Look at my roster above. Can he get play time? Even on defence. Even for niche matches? Maybe as a 4/55 6* he'd be preferable to some of the solutions I and many others have, but unless there are extensive 6* only gates I don't see it.

I can't see the match up where he can. Genuinely would love to see evidence that I'm wrong, as with a duped 6*, it would be fantastic to have a slept on God.
  • Options

I am not saying he's rubbish, far from it. Just for my roster, he's near enough useless.

Just cosmic, I have 5/65 or 2/35 6*; hype, Medusa, annihilus, corvus (6*) and I have 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 cosmic gem and CMM, Angela, cull as 5* to take up. I also have 5/65 torch, 2/35 6* meph for incinerate immune and a bunch of op God tier to 5/65 or 2/35; red mags, collosus, shulk, white mags (6*), guardian, doc oc, wolverine, domino, HB (6*), archangel, Morningstar (6*)... Plus others.

So, for my roster, no, he has no uses and for others with similar rosters, I would assume the same applies.

Where does he even make the C team in mine? I was being generous when I said he'd warm the bench in my team. Even if I 2/35 him, I'm not sure if he'd even warrant AW D for diversity..

So no, I don't think he holds a place in a moderately developed team, but agree he will have uses for new accounts or the really unlucky.

I’m looking at your roster ,

You could definitely use him on your roster. Where is your spidey evade counter ? Where is your power control champ? If you think he can’t serve a purpose in your roster , that is what is wrong with the game and expectations currently. If anything, he is one of the better options on your roster that can tackle everything , in fact he is one of your only decent counters to variant 6.

I will cut If you some slack because I see you have annulus ranked up as well as morning star, as far as I am concerned red goblin is better than Morningstar before 4 fights.

But I mean when you showed your roster I thought you were going to have everything covered, your roster is the roster that can benefit from him.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★
    Probably won’t feed him a single iso, seems fun and animations look very nice but he’s just not going to do anything for my roster. Maybe if he got a p99 level buff or something
  • Options
    i
    Texas_11 said:

You could definitely use him on your roster. Where is your spidey evade counter ? Where is your power control champ? If you think he can’t serve a purpose in your roster , that is what is wrong with the game and expectations currently. If anything, he is one of the better options on your roster that can tackle everything , in fact he is one of your only decent counters to variant 6.

I will cut If you some slack because I see you have annulus ranked up as well as morning star, as far as I am concerned red goblin is better than Morningstar before 4 fights.

But I mean when you showed your roster I thought you were going to have everything covered, your roster is the roster that can benefit from him.
    I 100% agree with this.
  • Options
    IKONIKON Posts: 1,336 ★★★★★
    Red Goblin looks so freaking cool, what does his abilities matter?
  • Options
    StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    I think with just a little buff of removing his Persistent Charges and having Frenzy always active from 65% Health and below or reducing the Charges to 3, Red Goblin would be one of the top Cosmic champs.
  • Options

I think with just a little buff of removing his Persistent Charges and having Frenzy always active from 65% Health and below or reducing the Charges to 3, Red Goblin would be one of the top Cosmic champs.

I agree, I think 3 would be much better than 5, especially given how if you lose a match, bye-bye persistent charge.
  • Options

Yeah,
    Or if he could gain them in fights like Corvus and cull or his signature ability allowed you to start with a persistent charge
  • Options
    StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★

I agree, I think 3 would be much better than 5, especially given how if you lose a match, bye-bye persistent charge.
    Just bring in Venom and you won't lose any charges.
  • Options
    Texas_11 said:

Evade; corvus with prox synergy, shulk, quake, torch, aegon ramped up. But genuinely, corvus, quake and shulk solve most evade challenges.

Power control, just 6*; g2099, HB, hawkeye and meph (to a degree). Plus doc oc, magik, dorm, voodoo at 4/55, waiting to take up. And of course, quake.

So again, what evade or power control scenario does he solve better than that lot? And what does he do in v6 that my other villans don't do better?

I'm not saying he's terrible, he's just middle of the road and not a top option for ranking up, for most people. He could hugely do with a tune up, as I would guess that most people who get him, will do what I do.

Leave him completely untouched.
  • Options
    IvarTheBonelessIvarTheBoneless Posts: 1,247 ★★★★
    edited January 2021

Texas_11 said:

Evade; corvus with prox synergy, shulk, quake, torch, aegon ramped up. But genuinely, corvus, quake and shulk solve most evade challenges.

Power control, just 6*; g2099, HB, hawkeye and meph (to a degree). Plus doc oc, magik, dorm, voodoo at 4/55, waiting to take up. And of course, quake.

So again, what evade or power control scenario does he solve better than that lot? And what does he do in v6 that my other villans don't do better?

I'm not saying he's terrible, he's just middle of the road and not a top option for ranking up, for most people. He could hugely do with a tune up, as I would guess that most people who get him, will do what I do.

Leave him completely untouched.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

For variant 6 you got annihilus for the easiest armor break/unstoppable cheese and omega red, morningstar and sentinel to handle everything else.

I'm in the same boat as you man (with a slightly bigger roster but no 6r3 yet). Red goblin is definitely not terrible, but once you have a developped roster with a ton of high ranked good champs he just doesn't make the cut. Even if I get him as a 6star duped I don't know if I'd take him to r2. I just got Cull out of the 6 star featured and I don't think I'm going to r2 him, if that gives any context.

When you love his playstyle and/or animations and/or character, the he's a solid option. When you don't he's just mediocre in my opinion.

But don't let my opinion withold you from ranking, playing and enjoying him!