**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Stealthy is Overrated

2»

Comments

• magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 2,020 ★★★★★
    Surely I can't be the only person who uses his enervate
  • QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★

GagoH said:

To those bringing up the skill argument up on him being a glass cannon, don’t act like intercepting is easy to do. The majority playing the game aren’t as good to *consistently* do it . It’s like saying Tigras one of the best champs, but who can actually even play her besides a select few?

My STRONGEST point was the one about him having drastically less utility than Falcon.

You’re not going to use stealthy for evade champs when champs like Quake, Fury, Falcon exist.

Go use stealthy versus mix master korg then use falcon,and come back to this thread.

Like I said , slow champs can handle unstoppable as well. What if the champ has both regen and unstoppable? Well, just bring beardo and throw a tech on the team. Boom, just like that beardos already better for that particular matchup.

With the release of Falcon, Stealthy has been powercrept and is relying just barely on that unstoppable counter to stay in the meta, in which other champs can also handle.

I mean I've used stealthy in mix master node once(it wasn't very convenient 😂). The trick is to get the four light hit combos in within the parry stun time... It's pretty tight meaning u won't start with a medium hit...
    I've done it only once😂😂 and it was when I was down to my last champion... I pretty much entered ultra instinct😂😂
    I also used him on mix master and what I did was do a medium,light,light then opponent evades the third light and then I drop the fourth light without stopping my combo. Though I don't think it's safe.
    Or you can just parry and LLLML
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

GagoH said:

To those bringing up the skill argument up on him being a glass cannon, don’t act like intercepting is easy to do. The majority playing the game aren’t as good to *consistently* do it . It’s like saying Tigras one of the best champs, but who can actually even play her besides a select few?

My STRONGEST point was the one about him having drastically less utility than Falcon.

You’re not going to use stealthy for evade champs when champs like Quake, Fury, Falcon exist.

Go use stealthy versus mix master korg then use falcon,and come back to this thread.

Like I said , slow champs can handle unstoppable as well. What if the champ has both regen and unstoppable? Well, just bring beardo and throw a tech on the team. Boom, just like that beardos already better for that particular matchup.

With the release of Falcon, Stealthy has been powercrept and is relying just barely on that unstoppable counter to stay in the meta, in which other champs can also handle.

I mean I've used stealthy in mix master node once(it wasn't very convenient 😂). The trick is to get the four light hit combos in within the parry stun time... It's pretty tight meaning u won't start with a medium hit...
    I've done it only once😂😂 and it was when I was down to my last champion... I pretty much entered ultra instinct😂😂
    All you need to do is parry, 3 lights during the stun, one medium and then 1 light to apply the slow. I’ve taken mixmaster with stealthy loads of times.
  • NigelthornberryNigelthornberry Posts: 458 ★★★
    1) unlike cull obsidian who requires to parry a lot to get the most of his damage, stealthy doesn't need to parry so you could just intercept
    2) could be used as an evade counter but as you said
    3) why not include that in point 2 as you should've
    4) ok beardo counters unstoppable, does that mean stealthy is a bad unstoppable counter, no
    5) thanks for repeating point 4
    6)meh you only need 2 specials then cycle sp3s
  • silentagsilentag Posts: 429 ★★★
    For that matter too, why does a champ’s suicide-friendliness determine whether it’s a top champ?

Just like so much of the game, it’s based a lot on personal preferences. Where one player may prefer stealthy, another will prefer sparky. Or in your case, falcon or caiw. That doesn’t make them less of a champ, they’re just not to your preferences because of how you like to play. Just like how all these tier lists are subjective, because it’s based on one person’s opinion, your own experience will inform how you approach champs. Stealthy may not work for you, and that’s too bad, but that’s also ok, because you found champs that work better for your own play.
  • RenaxqqRenaxqq Posts: 1,595 ★★★★
    Overrated or underrated but he is definitely worth r5. When I completed variant 6 and got skill 4-5 rank up gem, I chose to rank up not Blade or Aegon but him(I have Nick Fury at r5). Nice damage, utility and solid PI. If we are talking about 6* version then yes, he is worth r3 too.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,243 ★★★★★
    He’s not the best at what he does, but does all that he can decently well.

But if you’re talking about unstoppable counters, SG and SH have the same utilities BUT both of them are Science. Which means a skill on Footloose shuts them down.

So having Stealth helps in a sense that it opens up another viable option to counter nodes and champs that others can’t.

• FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    You can definitely argue the rating of stealthy since falcons buff but he’s in no way over-rated.

He’s a super fun champ who hits like a truck and offers some good utility.

If you don’t like him don’t use him, but don’t try and put others off playing one of the most fun champs in the game IMO.
  • VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    There’s this thing called intercepts.
  • MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    I took mine to r3 considering r4 and still demolishes content and has gadgets that he can use to decimate his opponents
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★

GagoH said:

I also used him on mix master and what I did was do a medium,light,light then opponent evades the third light and then I drop the fourth light without stopping my combo. Though I don't think it's safe.
    Parry, Light, Light, Light, Medium, Light is completely safe on Mix Master and then it's super easy to keep the slow for the rest of the fight.
  • EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    edited February 2021
    1. Nothing about his rotation requires parrying. Intercepting is a thing. If you can't do some basic intercepting or backdrafts, you really shouldn't be judging champs in the first place.

2 and 3. No one's saying he's the best evade counter in the game, but yeah, he's a great evade counter. You're acting like you need a full combo but all you need to do is parry, LLLL which means you'll only need to land a single hit outside of a stun to get your slow up. Either that or just throw a Sp2.

4 and 5. CAIW can't deal with Thing or any passive unstoppable and Stealthy has the longest slow in the game. You can keep easily 100% uptime on it after the very first combo.

6. First of all, I run suicides with max coag and use him all the time. In fact, I'm using him a ton for Act 6 explo. Unless the healthpool is extremely big, he normally only needs to throw a single special.

Not to mention that you're completely ignoring the fact that he ignores miss as well. So Stealthy can easily keep 100% uptime on an evade, miss, and unstoppable counter all at the same time. Can you name a single champ in this game that does that? I don't think so.

You're also completely glossing over the fact that he hits like a god damn truck. Anyone who says he needs the vulnerability to get the big sage is cappin cause it's an easy 1:30 WS kill with the Slow debuff on a R5.

I'm down to debate about this stuff any time but I don't see a single solid argument here.
  • MenkentMenkent Posts: 889 ★★★★
    Stealth suffered a bit from the addition of defense tactics and isn't the best option for the skill nodes in cav eq. Sadly I don't use him much anymore, but I only have 5* and a lot of my 5*s aren't seeing as much play these days.
  • Chitransh_2Chitransh_2 Posts: 107
    You just said yourself
    That he has great damage
    And utility of a slow champion
    Dude this is more than enough
  • edited February 2021
    1) He's a smaller champion that was designed to be played while intercepting over other champions who have parrying built more prominently into their kit. If you're finding yourself taking too much block damage, chuck Guardian onto the team - he helps that problem a bunch for a lot of champions.
    Although I find intercepting with Stealthy to be very smooth, especially in comparison to larger champions.

2) His access to slow is not "useless" in the slightest.
    Is Red guardian useless because he needs to get to a special 1 to counter evade?
    It wouldn't be recommended to use him against stun immune evade matchups, but as long as limber isn't present - you can Parry>LLLL to apply slow and never have to worry about it for the rest of the fight. If limber is present, you can parry MLL up to special 2 - and then have the lengthened slow debuff throughout the rest of the fight.
    Speaking of Guardian ^ he has a wonderful synergy with Sabretooth (and others) that I find myself bringing very often throughout lots of different questing, giving the attacker 100% perfect block for the first 3 blocked hits in each fight.
    Stealthy would benefit very highly from this synergy in those particular matchups, although it isn't necessary.

3) Stealthy, Falcon, and Fury are three completely different champions - saying "why would I bring X when Y counters evade better?" doesn't make X overrated.

4) He does counter unstoppable - very well. Even passive unstoppable.
    I'm glad that you enjoy using Beardo, who also can nullify unstoppable buffs - there are a ton of great champions in the game that can counter similar mechanics - however, if you bring Cap up against a node in which you encounter passive unstoppable, you're not going to have the best time. Stealthy would be the superior option in this case by a mile.

5) Yes, you definitely can use another champion to counter unstoppable.
    There are a ton of great champions in the game that can counter similar mechanics.
    It's also important to mention that Stealthy is the only SKILL champion with access to the Slow debuff.

5b) Not only does he counter unstoppable & evade with his slow - but he also counters MISS.
    To my knowledge, there aren't too many other champs out there able to counter evasion, unstoppable, & miss all with the same debuff.

5c) Another very overlooked piece of utility that he has is his enervate with his third pre-fight.
    It certainly isn't as commonly used as his other two pre-fights, but there are some interesting things that you can do with the mechanic.

6) He’s absolutely suicide friendly if you play him properly.
    He requires 1 special attack to ramp up to his max damage potential in 90% of the content in which you would use him. In other circumstances, in which you find yourself in a lengthy fight (Abyss, LoL, etc), you might want to opt for throwing a special 2 as well to get the lengthened slow/vulnerability debuff - and refresh your cartridges with a special 3. Aside from those two special attacks, you're never going to be taking more recoil damage than that in a fight.

So, we're left with an extremely high DPS champ, with the potential to counter evasion, active & passive unstoppable, & miss with his Slow debuff, a smaller scale enervate - and even has the failsafe of an auto-evade in case you slip up.
    That definitely doesn't seem useless to me.

It's perfectly fine to not like the champion, no one is forcing you to play them.
    We all have our preferences, and there are almost 200 different characters - and that's what makes this game as wonderful as it is. I've seen a lot of people compare Falcon & Stealthy lately, and it doesn't make much sense to me. They're both great champions that do very different things.
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    Some reasonable points, but the fact that SCIENCE champions (CAPIW or She-Hulk) are better slow champions has no bearing on the argument that “Stealthy is not a top 3 SKILL champion”.

A champion having access to something that their class normally doesn’t have, is always a plus. For example, Buff control in champions outside Mystic class is always a positive ability to me, even if it is not as easily accessible or powerful as a Mystic champion. No one will argue that Thing sucks cause his stagger pales in comparison to Mystic stagger champions (Eg. Doom). Yet here the argument is Stealthy sucks cause his Slow pales in comparison to Science slow champions. Funnily enough, Stealthy can handle Paths needing Slow quite painlessly, while Thing and paths needing Stagger. Would be quite painful.

Is he as good as Falcon or some other Skill champion for the 3rd spot? I dunno as I don’t have a Falcon of comparative rank to compare with.

Skill class has a big drop off after the first two spots, so the 3rd/4th/5th spots are largely interchangeable in my opinion.

Just based on my own experience, Stealthy is 3rd best, but I haven’t really ranked up many other Skill champions as NF and Aegon do all I need from Skill champions, with Stealthy pitching in with his Slow or other cartridges.