**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What keeps you from being an elite player, skill-wise?

Comments

• DefenestratedDefenestrated Posts: 304 ★★★
    I already am an elite player. The only thing I can’t do consistently is heavy-only Quaking.
  • Xguard77Xguard77 Posts: 554 ★★★
    I have all the tools, but impatience is my biggest gap. Trying to end fights faster than they need to ended.

Nothing worse than fighting someone down to 3%, and then messing up a completely unnecessary "high skill" intercept...when one parry / heavy would have worked fine.
  • TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

Skill wise? I parry 99% of fights, so if I miss a parry, my brain just goes completely blank and I lose it. Progression wise? I have 10 T2A and 3 T5B expiring because I can't get ISO to save my life

How do you handle Stun Immune nodes? Just eat the chip damage? Which is fine, because that is what I used to do
    Most times, I just quake stun immune nodes. Or, I’ll parry the first hit, back off, and counter in. The trick is to just bait heavies and specials. Sadly I am terrible at both those things
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    The ability to dex and parry, lmao.

I've been playing an intercept style for so long that I wind up occasionally missing a parry when I'm required to use it. That or it changed, but I'm more inclined to think that I just suck at it now.

As for dexing, I mean specifically proccing Dex off dashing; I always backdash too early. It's not that relevant to gameplay, but it does come up in certain situations.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★

The ability to dex and parry, lmao.

I've been playing an intercept style for so long that I wind up occasionally missing a parry when I'm required to use it. That or it changed, but I'm more inclined to think that I just suck at it now.

As for dexing, I mean specifically proccing Dex off dashing; I always backdash too early. It's not that relevant to gameplay, but it does come up in certain situations.

See, I am one of those people who thinks Invisible Woman is an amazing attacker. I also like Red Guardian and Spark, so Dexing is an absolute must

There are two kits that I just keep waiting for people to love universally: Annihilus and Invisible Woman
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    Xguard77 said:

I have all the tools, but impatience is my biggest gap. Trying to end fights faster than they need to ended.

Nothing worse than fighting someone down to 3%, and then messing up a completely unnecessary "high skill" intercept...when one parry / heavy would have worked fine.

Ha! I hear you! Patience is underrated!
  • EtherealityEthereality Posts: 685 ★★★
    Not being able to Quake, at all. Funny thing is that I'm better at the Quake'n Heavy playstyle ( which is usually regarded as the most difficult form of quaking). And absolutely suck at Quake'n Shake and Quake'n Bake.

Have a duped 6* R2 Ghost.... better at using her but still not quite there yet. I can definitely see myself mastering ghosting rather than quaking though.... Ghost is definitely funner and easier to learn than Quake, that's for sure.
  • SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    Focus, when I'm dialed in I can solo the grandmaster, war bosses, aq bosses, etc. But lot's of skills I have are yet to be second nature like with a lot of really high level players. So like on deep act 6 paths when I was still exploring it sometimes I'd just go on autopilot mode on an easy fight, miss time a get up intercept and just die. This was a pretty big problem in the abyss haha, I'd be playing close to perfect but after a few minutes I'd just have a lapse of focus and whiff an easy backdraft and get wrecked.
  • naikavonnaikavon Posts: 298 ★★★
    Banking.

I can dex all day on the corner (thanks Quake) but when it comes to performing a counter attack after banking I almost always get smacked in the face.

My timing is all off. I might try your proving grounds idea. Been using act 4 as a training ground with lower rated champs but it's worth it to try your idea. Thanks.
  • Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    Probably light intercepts. Them landing to me feels like luck.
  • Kevo9513Kevo9513 Posts: 356 ★★
    A fat wallet.
  • HendrossHendross Posts: 942 ★★★
    Reading. Reading the node buffs are important (sometimes)
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    ESF said:

The skill of pulling a Dr Doom 5*/6*. Haven’t mastered that yet 😔

Fr though, dedicating all of my brainpower into fighting. Sometimes I will ghost something without blinking and other times I can’t seem to avoid a simple special.

Let’s see.

Consistently landing parries
    Intercepting
    pretty much anything that isn’t quaking

However I am determined to pull a Shang-Chi from the featured and be better than you

LOL You freaking Quake and Ghost guys 😎👍

Like I said above, I didn’t even have a 5-star Quake. But I also didn’t have a 5-star Ghost for years, either 😅😅

I had to learn to play this game the hard way 😎

I got Ghost mid-February. I haven’t had her until recently either but I r5ed her in a week and mastered her with-wasp playstyle in another week 😎
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★
    edited May 2021
    Units

Definitely units

Not enough units

All joking aside and in all honesty I need to read the nodes and player abilities more. I don’t plan well many a time and get smacked in the face
  • SmallTimeANTSmallTimeANT Posts: 216
    I would say intercepting but that’s lowkey a strength now. Shoutout to wasp and stealthy for forcing me to learn how to finish a whole fight without parrying 😎
  • My crutch in units
  • PizzabeatPizzabeat Posts: 239 ★★
    Shallow dexing for Korg’s, mojo’s etc
  • Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,534 ★★★★★
    Arena.... it makes me worse, but those units....
  • PastorAmericaPastorAmerica Posts: 458 ★★★
    Understanding and Remembering the kit of every single character in the game especially one’s I don’t use
  • TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Posts: 531 ★★★
    I'd consider myself fairly skilled, the only things I think I have yet to master are specials that are hard to dex, like punishers sp2. Like cgr sp1, sp2 are easy. Dooms sp2 and apoc's sp2 are easy. Yeah besides evading crazy specials I think I've got it down
  • MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    Quake
  • phil56201phil56201 Posts: 965 ★★★
    ESF said:

So now, longtime players will laugh, but I have another weakness that I never addressed but am going to fix: Medium attacks.

For whatever reason, I just haven’t mastered ending combos on Mediums, even when it became obvious that kits are being designed for certain attributes to unlock by doing so. I just never liked how the end Medium felt for my fighting rhythm.

I have been stubborn for years. The only characters I make a dedicated effort to use Mediums are Night Thrasher and Nova...until now.

Now — I have already started today — for the entire next week (because no one, and I mean NO ONE, is gonna be a better Master of Kung Fu than I will be with Shang-Chi’s kit) I am going to do nothing but end combos with Mediums, as best I can, for every fight I do for the next week.

Ive never done full 5 combos on the right side of the screen. If Im doing MLLLM I'll swipe left for the 1st medium, tap the right side for the next 2 lights, then tap and swipe the left side again for the final light and medium. If Im doing LLLMM, then Im tapping the right side 3 times followed by 2 swipes on the left side. Same with 3 and 4 hit combos. left M, 2 right side taps with another left side swipe. If my combo ender is a light attack, then I dont go back to the left side of the screen. Hope that makes sense.

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    My main weakness is probably getting out of the way when an intercept fails.
  • winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,762 ★★★★★

Arena.... it makes me worse, but those units....

Well said. 👍🏻
  • KoopaKrusherKoopaKrusher Posts: 105
    Didn't even know re-parrying was a skill until I read this thread, so I guess that's something I need to work on