**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Watch Ads for Units

Comments

• abn86abn86 Posts: 107
    Honestly, if they implemented that, I wouldn't be against it, and I would watch them for a handful of units. I know most aren't for it, but I mean, it is what it is. I would adjust. If it was implemented in the way you said, which is unobtrusive and it stayed completely optional, I wouldn't mind it.

I WOULD mind the types of **** ads most are thinking about. Vids unable to be skipped, sound on, lagging. Install X game and play for Y amount of minutes for Z units. Choose your units earned by ad/actions completed.
    But again, that's not what you suggested.

What you suggested is reasonable, and would allow them another revenue stream. That said, I'm realistic that it wouldn't be an altruistic move, and greed begets more greed. I think once given that revenue stream, it DOES open the door for more monetization. Why not add an ad on the fight stage? They've already given us a moving background why not just create a "billboard" that can throw up a rotating ad per fight?

My answer is still no, but again, it's because I don't believe it would be implemented in a way that would be one and done. What's the point in creating a revenue stream if you don't increase it? From a personal standpoint, I get it, but from a company's perspective, wouldn't they be remiss in their jobs by NOT trying to increase that revenue stream?
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Posts: 3,088 ★★★★★
    No. In fact if you've been paying attention the reason why we have so many lackluster deals is so that way they DON'T have to play ads all over their game.
  • jamslamjamslam Posts: 9
    One of the few things I like about this game is that you aren't hounded with ads with little schemes like "watch ad for more stamina", I haven't played every single mobile game but I have played a few of the bigger titles and 99% of them are throwing ads at you as a means to get around a certain scenario and I hate it.

I'd rather pay the money and get the monthly sigil.. and if they ever did implement ads it wouldn't be to acquire the p2w currency, so I think that little idea can be tossed out.
  • Bidzy7Bidzy7 Posts: 369 ★★★
    Kabam's earning for the first quarter are down because there was nothing exciting in MCOC from January-March.

No huge new content like abyss or 7.2 etc
    Champs have been pretty meh with the exception of Stryfe

even with the very quiet period, the game has still pulled in a lot of money considering.
    Now April we had the spring cleaning event which was pretty solid and they would of made a killing there.
    We had Variant 7
    May we had Carinas Challenges which have been quite costly unit wise to do al of theml.
    You have 7.2 dropping soon
    July 4th is around the corner

Also globally we will soon start seeing Marvel movies in the cinemas again and this will again draw in new players.

The game will be OK and doesn't need to look to ads to generate income.
  • AlexMeyersAlexMeyers Posts: 25
    They already spam as with offers while opening crystals and such. Might as well get a use out if it. But no
  • SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    🤮
  • I would instantly leave. That is a terrible idea and would be more disruptive and annoying than the "offer" pop ups
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★

R_jay0027 said:

Why do I need to worry about Kabams earnings???

If you enjoy the game, then you should care. If it goes to low, then Kabam may stop developing MCOC, which I'm sure would upset a lot of people, many of whom are complaining about an optional ad to help boost the company. Think of it like your favorite show that got cancelled. You hate that it got cancelled and wish it had more support, but its too late now
    Just wait for 4th of July offers.
    All money problems solved.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 779 ★★★

As most of us have seen recently, Kabam's revenue over the last quarter was down. While there's likely multiple reasons for this, like the coronavirus, it still has me concerned about the future of MCOC. This led me to think of other potential revenue streams for MCOC, especially from FTP players out there. What if MCOC implemented something that gave units to watch an ad, like Transformers Forged to Fight does. Not many units, just 5 or 10 once a day to persuade players to watch it. That way, if you have a fundamental hate against ads, you wont have to watch them if you dont want to. While I continually see people complaining about the game, there is no denying that it is a great mobile game and many of us would loose on a enjoyable experience if the game shutters. Would the player base be against something like this?

I'd like it.
  • Thunderstruck77Thunderstruck77 Posts: 78

As most of us have seen recently, Kabam's revenue over the last quarter was down. While there's likely multiple reasons for this, like the coronavirus, it still has me concerned about the future of MCOC. This led me to think of other potential revenue streams for MCOC, especially from FTP players out there. What if MCOC implemented something that gave units to watch an ad, like Transformers Forged to Fight does. Not many units, just 5 or 10 once a day to persuade players to watch it. That way, if you have a fundamental hate against ads, you wont have to watch them if you dont want to. While I continually see people complaining about the game, there is no denying that it is a great mobile game and many of us would loose on a enjoyable experience if the game shutters. Would the player base be against something like this?

I got one foot out the door and you want me watch adds.... stupid stupid stupid... kabam marketer stop spamming!
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    doctorb said:

I see a lot of comments against this idea but barely anyone offering a reason why it's a bad idea, just complaints. The only reason I see against it is phone may crash. Genuinely interested in why u think it's a bad idea. The ads would not be a popup. You would need to click on a button to show/watch the ad. Otherwise just continue playing normally. Again, just curious why it's a bad idea since if done right, u would not even notice there.

Pretend I'm the monetization guy for MCOC. Convince me why I should do this. This will take time, this will take resources, what am I getting for those resources burned on this game client feature? I can run ads. Why do I want to run ads? Who am I running ads for? Why do I want to disengage my players from playing the game and have them watch an advertisement for something else that might divert their attention away from the game, and also gives more resources than actually playing the game?

All the arguments I've seen for doing this claim it is all good and no bad for the player. What's the upside for Kabam to do this?

Every minute they spend implementing this is something else we players are not going to get, in bug fixes, in client improvements, in game enhancements. I don't think this is universally a good thing for the players. But it doesn't matter if it is good or bad for the players if it is nonsensical for the developers, and I don't see the upside for the developers. It feels like a solution looking for a problem. The developers have not had difficulty monetizing the game, Q1 financials notwithstanding.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,757 ★★★★★
    If, and that's a big if, they are made like the transformers game which I still play, then it's fine. Completely optional. You only watch 3 or 4 adds IF you want to.
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    doctorb said:

I'd hate that, no thanks.

If u hate it, u can just skip it or disable it. That can be an option.

Honestly that won't be an option. This game is ad free. Let's keep it that way.
  • JragonMaster170JragonMaster170 Posts: 2,044 ★★★★★
    No, definitely not
  • Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    H E L L NO
  • VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    5 minutes ad for a PHC.
  • Putang76Putang76 Posts: 283 ★★
    How bout give me the old arena back 🤣
  • doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,723 ★★★

doctorb said:

I see a lot of comments against this idea but barely anyone offering a reason why it's a bad idea, just complaints. The only reason I see against it is phone may crash. Genuinely interested in why u think it's a bad idea. The ads would not be a popup. You would need to click on a button to show/watch the ad. Otherwise just continue playing normally. Again, just curious why it's a bad idea since if done right, u would not even notice there.

Let me tell u the reason.... .. Many people enjoy this one aspect of the game that their are no ads in the game.... If ads are introduced even with the click button and not pop ups even than it will become one of the easiest sources of earning units or items and hence it will become a compulsion for everyone to watch the ads as no one wants to miss on the free units.... Take it like this: many people are not liking to grind special objectives of sq this month but anyway they have to grind so that they don't miss the rewards..... The same way people will be compelled to watch the ads which will in ruin the game experience.....
    This idea is in lieu of the changes in arena, where the lower tiers arena that offered more units were unfairly removed. This removal hurt lower end players.
    This idea would work if u limit the units gained from watching ads, maybe 2 units/ad/day for a total of 14 units/week.
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    edited May 2021
    Most games it’s like something crazy like 85% of the player base is F2P, so it’s really a small % who drive the revenue. It is also not whales but the small micro transactions . The $4.99 joints Is like picking up a snickers or skittles in the grocery store before you check out 😂.

Their primary goal is to convert as many F2P players to P2P as possible. Assuming there wasn’t any champs that were game breaking or any content out, I bet their measure of success is how many players that were F2P purchased items in a 3 month period. You will find that most companies in general don’t look at the revenue they have, but where their pipeline is .

That 100% wouldn’t happen with in game Ads. It would drive those F2P away immediately. You also have to remember, Kabam is not competing against other mobile games because they are unique. They are mainly competing with “Netflix, Amazon, Books, consoles, etc” for your attention. None of these competitors force you to watch advertisements to earn something.

I also would suspect marvel wouldn’t let them just throw ads in the game like that either unless it was another Disney product of some sort. Marvel is all about being clean.

Just my thoughts!
  • BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,055 ★★★★★
    Kabam :- You want to make complete mockery of myself by advising to enter my own house from back door. Pathetic!!!!!

No ads 😂
  • legrindlegrind Posts: 81

In the first quarter of the year there isn't a major spending event, this leads to less revenue in those months compared to the other months. In the other 3 quarters there is spring cleaning, the July 4th deals, and the cyber weekend offers. The game is doing just fine and doesn't need to implement ads

The problem its the lowest ever recorded in 1st quarter. In 2019 and 2020 it was much higher. The game is dying.
  • KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,739 ★★★★★
    Lol, once again the community's proven that nearly a half of us can't even read
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Oh, I read. I have no desire for this game to have Ads.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    legrind said:

In the first quarter of the year there isn't a major spending event, this leads to less revenue in those months compared to the other months. In the other 3 quarters there is spring cleaning, the July 4th deals, and the cyber weekend offers. The game is doing just fine and doesn't need to implement ads

The problem its the lowest ever recorded in 1st quarter. In 2019 and 2020 it was much higher. The game is dying.
    The game is not dying. We're in the middle of a global pandemic. Entire economies are depleted.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,739 ★★★★★
    I hate that system in games, it's constantly annoying. If they somehow implemented it well, in an unobtrusive way, then maybe. Something I could easily opt out of. But one thing I really, really like about the game is how it is not like that, unlike so many other games. It would take a lot of work to convince me that a change into a game like that would be for the best.
  • Pancake_FacePancake_Face Posts: 1,390 ★★★★
    No cause then the game will have even more bugs and crash even more