**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Do 5-Star Champions matter anymore?

Comments

• Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★
    This is the nost BS thing i have seen along with an argument that sone champs srr good at r4. 5*, won't matter if you're a Blue Whale in this game.

5* can counter any content in the game and in many scenario are better than 6* . E.g -, if i need to do Abyss and i got a 6* unduped Aegon , i would rather go with my 5* max sig. Same is the case with Ghost .
  • Unio77Unio77 Posts: 2,539 ★★★★★
    Yes 5* are very much useful.
    Use mine 90% of the time compared to my 6 stars in all walks of the game
  • _wasabi__wasabi_ Posts: 102 ★★
    Yes they do. And they will for another year or two at least.
  • UvoginUvogin Posts: 345 ★★★
    They are still very much useful but they're not so exciting to pull anymore. For example, new 5* featured crystals are not as much hype as new 6* feature crystals and I personally have stopped going for 5* featured crystals.
  • swmcswswmcsw Posts: 249 ★★
    I think it really depends on your roster. If you have a lot of 5/65 then ranking new 5* maybe isn't your best option. Agree with everyone that says if they have niche uses then take them up. My roster is starting to get fairly big and I haven't r5 a 5* in awhile mainly because I have most of the ones I need at r5 already and use them in all content. I will agree that they aren't as exciting as they use to be, I'd love for more rank up gems, much rather take a flier on a champ with a rank up gem.
  • Monk1Monk1 Posts: 745 ★★★★
    I find 5* useless… but have 110 6* 20 at r3 so cannot see the need to ever rank a 5* over a 6* champ..

Other than quake and plat pool (personal favourite) I don’t use 5* in any content. Other than the 5* arena for milestones, which I have plenty ranked to do it without adding more.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,307 ★★★★
    Yes, 5* are still relevant.. moreso if the particular champion needs to be sig200 to maximize his/her potential or ability.. as of now it's difficult to get 6* signature stones unless you are able to complete most content and are whaling for signature stones.
  • allinashesallinashes Posts: 790 ★★★
    5* are still very relevant for me in daily play, but I don't rank them very often anymore. My last 5* rankup was max sig Angela at beginning of April. The only 5* rankups I might make in the future are Quake, Magik and Namor. I have gems for a skill to R5 so Shang-Chi would also get a nod. Otherwise, I prefer to wait for the 6* version. The main issue is T4CC, while I have a ton of crystals, I'm always short on mutant and skill and can't afford to sink it in 5* without good reason.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    If you’ve got a huge 6* roster with many at r2 and r3, then yes you could argue 5*s aren’t useful anymore for you personally.
    It’s the people that have 8 6*s and 3 maxed 5*s that hear an endgame player say it and parrot it everywhere they go that are wrong.
  • the sig stone issue and the fact that r5s are not much behind R3s is what keeps them viable.

I have 15 r3s and 44r5s. Still love using my 5* in a lot of content.
  • 2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    Max 5* are current huge for success in the Basic Arena, especially for cost benefit of refreshing using boost.
  • GMAX77GMAX77 Posts: 486 ★★★
    short answer - "yes"
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    edited July 2021
    It depends on your roster and where you are in the game. Some people have every champ they need as a 6* and ranking 5*s doesn't make sense. More people have a growing 6* roster and a lot of ranked 5*s and don't really need any more except for special circumstances. If you don't fall into either category, ranking 5*s is very much still a relevant thing to do. It was the same with 4*s way back when.
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,066 ★★★★★
    i can see both sides. me personally if i rank a 5* these days it's if i don't have the 6* counterpart and they need high sig like Guardian i ranked. they are still very much relevant and in some cases better than their 6* version depending on sig etc.

there are a few more 5* rank ups I still need to do. Ultron, Wolverine, PlatPool, Fury, Sinister and a few others.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

It depends on your roster and where you are in the game. Some people have every champ they need as a 6* and ranking 5*s doesn't make sense. More people have a growing 6* roster and a lot of ranked 5*s and don't really need any more except for special circumstances. If you don't fall into either category, ranking 5*s is very much still a relevant thing to do. It was the same with 4*s way back when.

I think someone who genuinely believes 5* champs are either irrelevant or worthless would not be ranking the 6* over the 5*, they would be ranking the 6* or nothing, because if they honestly believed the 5* champs were worthless or irrelevant there would be no reason to ever rank them, whether you had the 6* version or not.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    It is really depending on which stage the player is in the game. For those who is talking about his/her 30th or 40th 6*r3 then 5* is really become less relevant, otherwise it is still relevant.

I think 5* still matter in the game and those 5* can still help you to work on tough contents, yet I start to feel the gradual changes since this year, when you can acquire T5B/T2A easier and more and more posts in "Strategy and Tips" section are talking about 6* rank up instead of 5*r5. It is similar to the transition of roster focus from 4* to 5* few years ago.
  • ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 883 ★★★
    If a champ requires high sig stones, I already have r4, is SS/OP tier or is 5* only, definitely. Still waiting on Hyperion....
  • Champ_ZChamp_Z Posts: 155
    Nope
  • Vibhor_Kaul_26Vibhor_Kaul_26 Posts: 9
    I'm not new and not a veteran either. I am a cavalier who participates regularly in AQ, AQ, EQ, SQ, Arenas and now Battlegrounds. At this point, if i look to move forward for Thronebreaker, i'd say my roster isn't good enough. Now I have almost all beyond god 5 stars, but only few are R5 because people kept saying focus on 6 stars. The thing is that 6 star shards and crystals are hard to earn. Plus i waited and ended up pulling the same 6 stars as i have R5 5 stars.
  • BulmktBulmkt Posts: 1,547 ★★★★
    5* are the new ‘4*’

I only now rank new ones to R3.

Main game is 6* champs
  • DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,151 ★★★★★
    I'm thronebreaker, have 10 r3's and haven't done all content but I rarely rank 5 stars unless I like the character. Although useable, they take too much patience for me to use them in act 7. Events like Eternity of Pain take that much longer when using a five star instead of a 6r3. I wouldn't say they are completely useless, but r4 five stars aren't useable in endgame content for the average player (or rather, average enjoyer, as you have to dance around with low attack and less health than defenders base damage). My resources are almost solely devoted to 6*s (not that I have played very much in the past half year or so).
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    This is necro post but I'll bite. I use 5* Moleman in act 7 because I don't have him as a 6*. I use some 5*s that I also have as 6*s when they are particularly good for a path. I use 5* Apoc and Doom because I don't have them as 6*s. There are others that I would use if I ranked them but I'm not ranking new 5*s much. All that to say they are far less relevant, but still not irrelevant unless you have all the 6*s you need for every node.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★
    I don't have moleman, anti venom or Hercules as 6* so they are still relevant personally. Just not as much as when this thread was started almost a year ago, which is to be expected
  • RenaxqqRenaxqq Posts: 1,595 ★★★★
    edited May 2022
    Only 5*s that I want to get are OG Scarlet Witch and Wolverine. Basically I care about champs that are only available as 5*.
  • Nightkiller7314Nightkiller7314 Posts: 117
    edited May 2022
    it depends, if i have the character as 5 star but not 6 star(like herc, knull) then i rank them. if i have the character as 6 star, wont touch 5star at all
  • Angryneeson52Angryneeson52 Posts: 445 ★★★
    I haven’t ranked up a 5* champ in almost 2 years and now I’m a paragon. So I believe they were worthless as stated. I just collect them now.
  • Triclops1224Triclops1224 Posts: 107 ★★
    5*s are still very much relevant. Having two Torches, NFS, Warlocks etc came in handy multiple times while fully exploring act 7.
  • redsoxpatsfan89redsoxpatsfan89 Posts: 163
    I both agree and disagree with the post. 5* are not worthless even for thronebreaker/paragon players. I think 5* that are ranked up absolutely still have some uses. But at the same time, i dont think its worth the resources and investment to rank up 5* champs if you already have a really diverse 6* roster. I mean there are exceptions, like 5* herc (who wouldn't want a 6* and a 5* version). But the average 5* is probably not worth it.