**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why bring back Root now?

Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,183 ★★★★★
First, no one was asking for this mechanic to return, and in fact I recall is being almost universally panned when you tested it months ago.

Second, you’re still working on important bugs impacting our abilities, so mixing this with mighty charge node on kraven is a weird decision. I’d love to be able to dex properly, but you’re still figuring out these problems, and dexxing is unreliable. Same with trying to reparry and parry issues — why make reparrying a requirement that the bugs won’t let us consistently do?

IMO Root is a dumb mechanic. I assume you’re planning to release/sell a champ that is Root immune next year, which is the only reason I can see for adding root to kraven.

Comments

• The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Idk I liked root and the whole trap mechanic of Kraven's.

Plus the fact that it can easily countered by anyone with a debuff shrugging mechanic means it's not some niche, impossible thing to counter.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 8,002 ★★★★★
    Deda said:

It is the same logic as with the Quake 🤷

Not advocating for it to not affect them, but any champ stunned by Quakes aftershocks get planted on the ground where they are as susceptible as everyone else. Perhaps her Vibrations (which she does make, her heavy animation shows it) makes it too difficult to fly/levitate
  • CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    How is root being a part of the kit on a champ the same as a node that was tested months ago?
    Kraven's root is basically like a stun, with the difference that u can still do a few things...its not bringing back root..
  • Sunny2595Sunny2595 Posts: 20

So, I think EQ Kraven is an example of nodes mixing with character abilities. Which doesn't give a clear picture of the champions actual abilities. Iirc, there's an extra Root added into the fight with the nodes. As it stands, I'm not thrilled about adding a recurring Root via timer as a node (unavoidable) since it seems there are still limitations for the attacker to land counter attacks/defend themselves effectively (and the AI seems to recognize and capitalize on this).

Though I actually think the "Trap" mechanic is super cool. If in fact it works as I think it does. Where a character lays a trap (presents as a visible red circle) and if the opponent enters it they become rooted for a time. I love this! You can attempt to control the spacing of the fight and keep out of the trap. I think it's really creative and adds a whole new reason to control spacing on the stage. And it looks like it could be used offensively too. Again adding a fun, completely new combat mechanic to the game.

So, I'd personally say:

Root node: no
    Trap mechanic: yes

Stop complaining u big baby
  • Hilbert_unbeatable2Hilbert_unbeatable2 Posts: 804 ★★★

Shouldn't all champs who levitate be immune to root? since they are levitating they wouldn't really be touching the ground?

Actually... Fabulous idea
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★

Shouldn't all champs who levitate be immune to root? since they are levitating they wouldn't really be touching the ground?

Maybe the root trap has a tractor beam that pulls champs into it?

Or maybe we’re reading into it too much
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,113 ★★★★★
    edited December 2021
    Sunny2595 said:

So, I think EQ Kraven is an example of nodes mixing with character abilities. Which doesn't give a clear picture of the champions actual abilities. Iirc, there's an extra Root added into the fight with the nodes. As it stands, I'm not thrilled about adding a recurring Root via timer as a node (unavoidable) since it seems there are still limitations for the attacker to land counter attacks/defend themselves effectively (and the AI seems to recognize and capitalize on this).

Though I actually think the "Trap" mechanic is super cool. If in fact it works as I think it does. Where a character lays a trap (presents as a visible red circle) and if the opponent enters it they become rooted for a time. I love this! You can attempt to control the spacing of the fight and keep out of the trap. I think it's really creative and adds a whole new reason to control spacing on the stage. And it looks like it could be used offensively too. Again adding a fun, completely new combat mechanic to the game.

So, I'd personally say:

Root node: no
    Trap mechanic: yes

Stop complaining u big baby
    Lmao.. this guy is my alliance mate and we troll each other. He's just mad because he lost a bet during AW season and owes me a GGC. 😆 Get good, Sunny.
  • AMS94AMS94 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    I've explored Cavalier EQ & the only times I've been rooted ws through the root node & not through Kraven's Sp1 mechanic, which means Kraven in himself will probably not be a very tough defender but the nodes on him will decide how annoying he is going to be on defense
    I also assume there will be some issues & interactions which Kabam have definitely not taken into consideration bcoz they're Kabam & gross oversights are expected from them
    I don't like the root mechanic, but I don't mind it in Kraven's kit if it's only here to stay as a unique Kraven ability & not something like the unstoppable or unblockable which Kabam starts spamming everywhere in a few months
    Fr Kraven it makes sense (just as much as it makes sense fr flying characters to not be affected by it), but I hope it's not a new MCOC mechanic going forward
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,749 ★★★★★
    What I disliked about the root mechanic in this EQ is that both Kraven and a node utilized it, which made it really hard to properly evaluate it. I don't think Kraven was that hard to fight but whenever he threw his SP2 I would end up getting rooted since the animation was so long that the node kicked in. That made it feel like the root effect was pretty much inevitable and unavoidable, which is the absolute worst-case scenario. However, if you can avoid it by skillful play it becomes much less of a hassle and potentially just a neat piece of utility in Kraven's kit. We'll have to see when we can evaluate him free from that node.
  • Morpheus_123Morpheus_123 Posts: 792 ★★★
    I don't mind the root node. It's just one of those type of nodes where your timing is key. The problem is that at the moment, which has been the case for far too long, timing in the game is a major problem for a potion of the player base.