**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Do you enjoy the Rift style of Side Quests?

13»

Comments

• Options
    MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★
    I absolutely despise rifts
    Seems like the rewards were tuned down and the number of entries increased. Maybe over the course of the entire event the rewards look okay, but again you’re subject to RNG and 28 runs per difficulty that cost both energy, time, and focus.

Because it’s not like you can autofight these fights. Even the second tier difficulty has 9k enemies.
  • Options
    BizarreSoldierBizarreSoldier Posts: 17
    edited April 2022
    Yes I enjoy rifts
    I kinda like this type of quest. The concept is nice, and the idea of gambling against the odds is this game main feature.

However, the only thing I disagree with, are the rewards. Last time we were able to get an Awakening Gem or a featured crystal, this time we are getting none. I understand that the juicy rewards are in the solo objectives, but I don't think that's the best way to handle this.

Why is Kabam so afraid of giving nice rewards? I'm not asking for a 6* nexus crystal or a generic 6* AG, but at least a 5* nexus crystal as reward in one of the legendary rifts; at the end, is about how lucky you are to get one... or you can use the free pass 4 times (or 7 if you spend 600 units) that guarantees the reward, and even so is not game-breaking since you don't know which champs you are going to get.

But anyway, hope they improve the rewards next time.
  • Options
    Maverick75Maverick75 Posts: 631 ★★★
    edited April 2022
    Yes I enjoy rifts
    To have sometimes the rifts is nice.
    Of course I would prefer an event with a currency to buy in the store in order to focus on what I think I need more at the moment. But my concern is a general feeling of worse rewards than the previous events, just by looking at the highest difficulty. We can think about 7 times the same reward, but with rng it is very very rare. As an exemple, on the 6 attempts, I got 2 x t4cc crystals and 2 x 5k 5* (that I only use when I need iso...).
    I also appreciate to get directly the good rewards, not to have to wait for the last week to get the best ones.

So the rifts change of more classical long lines, the 5 opponents ways is a good choice. Direct rewards (instead of waiting for the last week) are fine. But an effort on the rewards themselves would have been appreciated.
  • Options
    CynchoticCynchotic Posts: 186
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    I’m really dreading to see July 4th. Last year was chopped so much - the first July 4th that was really disappointing since the beginning of my journey with MCOC. Given how much this game has fallen since then, I’m scared…
  • Options
    DanthexmanDanthexman Posts: 197
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    I don't know if this is just me but I keep ending up on the same path EVERYTIME when I "chance" it. And you can bet it's the worst one. Doesn't make for much fun
  • Options
    Saru2244Saru2244 Posts: 181
    No I don’t enjoy rifts

I don't know if this is just me but I keep ending up on the same path EVERYTIME when I "chance" it. And you can bet it's the worst one. Doesn't make for much fun

I had the same experience and have therefore already opened a separate section:

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/301174/probability-calculation-in-the-side-event-seems-to-be-broken#latest

But there is always someone who can explain to you exactly that the math is quite normal. If you were to get stuck on the 6 * shards, that wouldn't be so bad, but strangely enough, it only happens on the one path that nobody needs.
  • Options
    GrassKnucklesGrassKnuckles Posts: 1,923 ★★★★★
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    Anyones opinions changed from the April Rift to this October Rift?
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,809 ★★★★★
    Yes I enjoy rifts

at least the april ones had an option for a guaranteed good reward
  • Options
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    I don't mind it. Yeah it's frustrating when you get candy (for example) for the umpteenth time but it's a sweet (pun intended) feeling when you get one of the other top notch rewards instead. That's what gets people hooked into gambling, that little rush when you actually get the good rewards. It has its ups and downs. For instance the fact that you can only do one run per day in only one difficulty is frustrating. I've picked up the 2m gold and sig stone so far and the rest has been candy. I have a theory that over the course of the side quest everyone will get each reward once and the rest will be candy...who knows? Time will tell. No point moaning about it until the end.
  • Options
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    Not sure why my last comment came up with a vote, because i didn't vote either way
  • Options
    spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Posts: 264 ★★
    No opinion
    If I have a rift selector to go after the one prize I really want, I don't mind the RNG of rifts, as I can find most the rewards in the store for the other portions. But seeing something like a 5-star awakening fgem and knowing exactly which on my roster I'd use that, but never getting the chance to pick it up and instead getting shuffled off to more gold instead of the candy gets very aggravating very quickly.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Yes I enjoy rifts

I'm asking this as a genuine question (because over text it just seems like I'm asking it in an accusatory way) but would you prefer it to be a guaranteed worse reward?

To me, 6* awakening gems are so valuable that I'll absolutely take a 30% chance for at least 1 over the month. I understand some don't want that, but isn't it better to do one rifts in April where some can have their guaranteed worse reward version, and then have one where there's a chance for something much better? Next time, I'm happy for it to go back to one with path pickers and worse overall rewards, it's nice to have some variability and have the chance to get the top rewards in the game one rift month, then guaranteed lesser rewards the next rift month.
  • Options
    SazedSazed Posts: 304 ★★

I'm asking this as a genuine question (because over text it just seems like I'm asking it in an accusatory way) but would you prefer it to be a guaranteed worse reward?

To me, 6* awakening gems are so valuable that I'll absolutely take a 30% chance for at least 1 over the month. I understand some don't want that, but isn't it better to do one rifts in April where some can have their guaranteed worse reward version, and then have one where there's a chance for something much better? Next time, I'm happy for it to go back to one with path pickers and worse overall rewards, it's nice to have some variability and have the chance to get the top rewards in the game one rift month, then guaranteed lesser rewards the next rift month.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,222 ★★★★★

Pretty sure mine wouldn't have.
    Let's see.
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,222 ★★★★★

Not sure why my last comment came up with a vote, because i didn't vote either way

It's a poll from April.
    It shows the vote you picked that time.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,765 ★★★★★
    No I don’t enjoy rifts
    Having now spent a week doing these rifts, I figured I could give a more comprehensive account of my feelings than I did when it was still fresh.

First off, I'm actually pretty happy with the rewards. The 1% paths have really good to great rewards and the store is decent. While a 1% chance looks small at a glance, the overall chance over a whole month and 35 attempts ramps up quite a lot. Specific rewards are by no means guaranteed, but there's a really good chance that you'll get at least a couple of the various prizes, and those prizes are good.

That said, I still wish it had been organized in a different way. I don't particularly like Rifts in general, but one thing that is fun is that you almost always land on something different and have to fight different champions. In this event, you usually don't. There's a strong probability that you'll fight through the same path with the same enemies and nodes 30+ times throughout the month, and that just isn't very fun. I think the event could have been designed in a way that allows for more variety while also keeping those high-end rewards just as rare as they are.

For example:

Path 1: 20K candy and 20K gold. (35% chance)
    Path 2: 20K candy and 2000 Candy crystal shards. (20% chance)
    Path 3: 20K candy and resource X. (12% chance)
    Path 4: 20K candy and resource Y. (12% chance)
    Path 5: 20K candy and resource Z. (12% chance)
    Path 6: Mystery box with a random reward out of the current 1% rewards. (9% chance)

That way, you'd keep the daily runs somewhat fresh while still not bombarding players with the rarest rewards. I don't remember exactly how many 1% paths there are in the current setup but my intention was to have the same chance to get to Path 6 (in my setup) as there currently is to land on any non-Candy path.

To round this all out, I'll circle back to an idea I had when this event began: it might be wise to give players from different progression tiers different percentages when it comes to their chances of landing on the top rewards. Whether we're talking about a 6* awakening gem, 2 million gold or three t5bs, they all have widely different values for players in the three different progression tiers that can access the highest difficulty. I think it'd be fair if you gave Cavaliers a 1% chance to land on these rewards, while Thronebreakers had a 2% chance and Paragons a 3% chance.