Gold Event Cash Grab?

Comments

• CoppinCoppin Member Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    edited October 2022

An average summoner vs sweats, whales and white knights of the forums......good stuff to read :wink:

Lol seriously?..
    The guy knew he missed last years event...
    Didn't even make an effort to save gold in case the event repeated this year...
    Complains about not getting a heads up about an offer THAT WON'T HAPPEN THIS YEAR...
    Are u really siding with him?
  • tusharNairtusharNair Member Posts: 290 ★★
    Coppin said:

An average summoner vs sweats, whales and white knights of the forums......good stuff to read :wink:

Lol seriously?..
    Complains about not getting a heads up about an offer THAT WON'T HAPPEN THIS YEAR...
    When did I say am siding with anyone? Lol 😂

Coppin said:

Lol seriously?..
    When did I say am siding with anyone? Lol 😂
    Well... Nah u r right my bad
  • xNigxNig Member Posts: 7,329 ★★★★★
    So OP, what are you going to be doing 3 months later, on Jan 10th?
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,579 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

That's exactly what your asking for. To be coddled . Live service mobile games don't do that. None of them do that. They all have thier surprise events.

Why shouldn't Kabam have given us one week's notice? I think this is the third time I've asked you personally.
    And I've given you an answer each time. But it sounds like all your doing is ignoring what I've said because it's not what you want to hear. It's up to you to plan for potential deals and events. Not kabams.
  • Bryce_BAMBryce_BAM Member Posts: 45
    Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

That's exactly what your asking for. To be coddled . Live service mobile games don't do that. None of them do that. They all have thier surprise events.

Why shouldn't Kabam have given us one week's notice? I think this is the third time I've asked you personally.
    And I've given you an answer each time. But it sounds like all your doing is ignoring what I've said because it's not what you want to hear. It's up to you to plan for potential deals and events. Not kabams.
    Nah, you're not saying why Kabam shouldn't tell us, you're just saying I should prepare for surprises because Kabam won't always tell us. I see your point and it's unfortunate that's the way it is, but it would be better if Kabam would tell us. If you disagree, why shouldn't they tell us?
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Member Posts: 9,264 ★★★★★
    Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Nah, you're not saying why Kabam shouldn't tell us, you're just saying I should prepare for surprises because Kabam won't always tell us. I see your point and it's unfortunate that's the way it is, but it would be better if Kabam would tell us. If you disagree, why shouldn't they tell us?
    You’re yet to actually give an answer of why Kabam *should* tell us, other than ‘it would be nice’.

There’s a ton of things kabam could do that are nice, but it doesn’t mean they should do them just for that reason, nor does it mean it’s better for the game. So why should they?
    edited October 2022

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

You’re yet to actually give an answer of why Kabam *should* tell us, other than ‘it would be nice’.

There’s a ton of things kabam could do that are nice, but it doesn’t mean they should do them just for that reason, nor does it mean it’s better for the game. So why should they?
    Is kindness to consumers not a good reason nowadays? I think it is. I'd have at least a few days more to prepare - maybe knock out a variant, grind arena more.

Why shouldn't they tell us?

It seems like Thrillson has deconfirmed the event anyway, but I'm still interested in this hypothetical.
    Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Is kindness to consumers not a good reason nowadays? I think it is. I'd have at least a few days more to prepare - maybe knock out a variant, grind arena more.

It seems like Thrillson has deconfirmed the event anyway, but I'm still interested in this hypothetical.
    No, of course kindness to consumers isn’t the one and only reason to offer more time, kindness to consumers could be used to argue for a great many things that are not good for the game. A 6* Herc for everyone, 100k units for everyone etc. Just because something is “the nice thing to do” does not make it the right thing to do. You have to have a better reason than that I’m afraid.

They gave you 3 more days than last time. You ask for more this time, someone else asks for more next time.

Offers like the gold ones and the gem ones are to reward people who get prepared, or have gold lying around. The longer you give, the less it rewards those people. The more people get the offers, and the less likely kabam is to sign off on offers like this again. Game economy balance is a real thing, and so many rewards can be handed out before they get reduced elsewhere. If too many people got the offers last time for balance, that may be a reason they aren’t doing it this time - so if last time was too much with no warning, I doubt they’d do it this time and give you a weeks warning like you want.

10m gold is not hard to get and maintain, you can do it in a week or so. That’s why they didn’t announce it in advance last time.

The moral is, Kabam are not going to warn you and allow you to plan your calendar with offers that are designed so that not everyone will get them. 1) in aid of balance, and 2) in aid of rewarding those who plan ahead and manage their resources well

So what’s your better reason than “it would be kind”? Why should they tell us?
    NearJr said:

@Bryce_BAM I think I might be of assistance to you!

Here's a couple of heads up:

Regarding global and sporting events:
    Global economic growth will decelerate in 2023, please plan accordingly
    There will be a Super Bowl, start saving if you're a betting man, if you're not, still enjoy it while eating wings and drinking beer (only if you're over 21, drink responsibly)
    NBA Finals (Dubs are favorite) will be most likely around June, please plan accordingly
    The Stanley Cup will be most likely around June, please plan accordingly
    The MLB World Series will be held around September-October, please plan accordingly
    There will be Marvel movies in 2023, please plan accordingly
    Babies will be born in 2023, sadly though, people will also die in 2023, please plan accordingly

Regarding MCOC and future in-game events:
    Sometime around Spring, Kabam might release some big in-game offers, it may bear the name of "Spring Cleaning" or something to that effect. Offers might be cash, might be units, might be both, please plan accordingly
    Sometime around July, maybe the 4th day of the month, Kabam might release some big in-game offers, might be cash, might be units, might be both, please plan accordingly
    Sometime around Thanksgiving, or the weekend after, Kabam might release some big in-game offers, might be cash, might be units, might be both, please plan accordingly
    CAUTION: There might be some random offers in this game called MCOC that might take you by surprise. The keyword is "Surprise". Be a good Boy Scout and "Be prepared". This means save up resources so they don't catch you with your pants down.

Please remember that 100% of this is subject to change, things change and happen with zero notice (covid says hi).

All in all, I think the best advice I can offer is "5#it will happen in all aspects of life, PLEASE BE PREPARED

Sarcasm noted. TL;DR.

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

No, of course kindness to consumers isn’t the one and only reason to offer more time, kindness to consumers could be used to argue for a great many things that are not good for the game. A 6* Herc for everyone, 100k units for everyone etc. Just because something is “the nice thing to do” does not make it the right thing to do. You have to have a better reason than that I’m afraid.

They gave you 3 more days than last time. You ask for more this time, someone else asks for more next time.

Offers like the gold ones and the gem ones are to reward people who get prepared, or have gold lying around. The longer you give, the less it rewards those people. The more people get the offers, and the less likely kabam is to sign off on offers like this again. Game economy balance is a real thing, and so many rewards can be handed out before they get reduced elsewhere. If too many people got the offers last time for balance, that may be a reason they aren’t doing it this time - so if last time was too much with no warning, I doubt they’d do it this time and give you a weeks warning like you want.

10m gold is not hard to get and maintain, you can do it in a week or so. That’s why they didn’t announce it in advance last time.

The moral is, Kabam are not going to warn you and allow you to plan your calendar with offers that are designed so that not everyone will get them. 1) in aid of balance, and 2) in aid of rewarding those who plan ahead and manage their resources well

A 6* Herc for everyone and 100k units would massively ruin the game balance, obviously. Only few more days to prepare for massive gold spending would not. If anyone asked for a month's notice, I would oppose that. I have not asked for more than a week's notice because I understand the points you made about it rewarding players who have extra gold lying around.

I, however, don't like the idea of having to entirely rely on saving millions of gold throughout the year when my account's limiting resource is gold. I have catalysts, champs to rank, and iso. Having to not use millions in gold would hurt my progression a lot, all for an event which may or may not happen. If I had prepared this time around, I would be disappointed because of all the times I could have ranked up a champ throughout the year and said "no, I need to save it for that event," then it didn't end up happening. I couldn't even use it now because now I would have to save it for the next possible event.

I understand there are lots of people whose limiting resource isn't gold, so it's easier for them to save up a lot of it. Good for them, really. It's not as convenient for me. I would like one week's advance notice.

I don't need a better reason than "it would be kind." Being player-friendly should be a very high priority for any game.
  • NearJrNearJr Member Posts: 156 ★★
    So all you need is a hug? Here it is /Hug
  • Longshot_33Longshot_33 Member Posts: 367 ★★★
    I wouldn’t worry about it as they aren’t doing it now anyway 😂
    Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

A 6* Herc for everyone and 100k units would massively ruin the game balance, obviously. Only few more days to prepare for massive gold spending would not. If anyone asked for a month's notice, I would oppose that. I have not asked for more than a week's notice because I understand the points you made about it rewarding players who have extra gold lying around.

I, however, don't like the idea of having to entirely rely on saving millions of gold throughout the year when my account's limiting resource is gold. I have catalysts, champs to rank, and iso. Having to not use millions in gold would hurt my progression a lot, all for an event which may or may not happen. If I had prepared this time around, I would be disappointed because of all the times I could have ranked up a champ throughout the year and said "no, I need to save it for that event," then it didn't end up happening. I couldn't even use it now because now I would have to save it for the next possible event.

I understand there are lots of people whose limiting resource isn't gold, so it's easier for them to save up a lot of it. Good for them, really. It's not as convenient for me. I would like one week's advance notice.

I don't need a better reason than "it would be kind." Being player-friendly should be a very high priority for any game.
    I still don't get u.. U ARE AWARE THEY MADE A POST THAT THE GOLD OFFERS WON'T HAPPEN RIGHT?... They never said in the past that they would or would not repeat the gold offers.. You are asking for advance notification of a thing that WON'T HAPPEN
    NearJr said:

So all you need is a hug? Here it is /Hug

Make sure u tell him 7 days in advance that u will hug him
    Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

Bryce_BAM said:

Buttehrs said:

So here we come to the crux of the issue, you think 3 days is too short, but a month is too long. Kabam gives 3 days extra than last year and you complain asking for more, someone next year says a week is too short, why can't they have more. In these situations, kabam gives an inch and people demand a mile.

"Only few more days to prepare for massive gold spending would not [ruin balance]". Ultimately that is absolutely not your call to make, that is your opinion based on 0 data and essentially just guesswork to suit your point. Kabam ran the deals last year and have not this year, that by itself shows that they do not want these deals to affect the balance of the game.

Keeping a buffer of 8 mil gold is far, far less of a deal than you're making it out to be - "all the times I could have ranked up a champ throughout the year and said "no"". 8 million does not stop you ranking a champ "all those times", it is enough to rank 2 or 3. So it's not "all those times", it's "a couple of/few times". This is a resource managing game, do you want advanced warning that there will be a new mystic champion coming out in 3 months, so there's no point investing in the current mystic your using? Or that there's a new prestige champion coming out in 5 months, so save your sig stones from the current prestige options? Both of those would be "player friendly", but that's not how the game works. So no, you don't need advanced warning, manage your resources and be prepared.

Being player friendly is always to be encouraged, but it doesn't mean be player friendly in any situation, every time and always no matter the game balance. And since that is the case, I'm afraid you really do need a better reason than "it would be kind", and so far, you haven't given a good reason. As I feel this debate is going a little in circles and I've made all the points I'd like to, unless you give a reason other than being kind, I don't think I'll continue it.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,579 ★★★★★
    Think of it this way, have you ever helped someone but they've said it wasn't enough? How about once you help them, they ask for more and more until you get fed up helping them? Same concept applies here. Last year there was no warning of any kind. This year you got 3 days advance warning. Next year someone will demand a week. It'll never be enough because then someone will say they need a month notice or even a month isn't enough time to prepare.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    I thought it was confirmed no gold event this year, why ya all still arguing over this?

I thought it was confirmed no gold event this year, why ya all still arguing over this?

Because the OP is upset he wasnt given advanced notice of something that won't happen..
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    Coppin said:

Because the OP is upset he wasnt given advanced notice of something that won't happen..
    Isn't it a mute and irrelevant point by now? I mean, his entire argument was illogical to beging with, but even despite that, the event isn't happening so why continue?

Coppin said:

Isn't it a mute and irrelevant point by now? I mean, his entire argument was illogical to beging with, but even despite that, the event isn't happening so why continue?
    🤷 I'm still laughing at it...

• DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,303 Guardian
    Bryce_BAM said:

No one has yet given me a reason Kabam shouldn't have given us at least a week's notice.

Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means there's little point in discussing why they exist with you.
  • MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Member Posts: 4,843 ★★★★★
    I’m curious how going from a 3 day notice to a week will give you enough time to amass the 10 million gold that was necessary for the event as it ran last year.

I believe Op is arguing in case the gold offers come back next year, and he’s arguing for notice then. Even though they’re not here now, I understand why you’d want to continue a conversation for a hypothetical future where they come back. Not super hard to understand.

I believe Op is arguing in case the gold offers come back next year, and he’s arguing for notice then. Even though they’re not here now, I understand why you’d want to continue a conversation for a hypothetical future where they come back. Not super hard to understand.
    The OP said that players have been asking repeatedly and got "Don't know" as an answer...
    Well that was the time to start farming gold...its not like its a resource that expires...
    Coppin said:

The OP said that players have been asking repeatedly and got "Don't know" as an answer...
    Well that was the time to start farming gold...its not like its a resource that expires...
    That’s not relevant to what Chatter and I are talking about. We’re discussing why continue a conversation if the deals aren’t coming, and I think it’s fair to discuss because it’s about the principle of surprise offers.

OP thinks we should have warning, I don’t think we need warning, if Kabam want to it’s fine with me but I’m not complaining if we don’t.

Just to be absolutely clear, I don’t think OP has a leg to stand on about the topic, but he has every right to bring up the topic, even if the deals aren’t coming tomorrow.

Coppin said:

That’s not relevant to what Chatter and I are talking about. We’re discussing why continue a conversation if the deals aren’t coming, and I think it’s fair to discuss because it’s about the principle of surprise offers.

OP thinks we should have warning, I don’t think we need warning, if Kabam want to it’s fine with me but I’m not complaining if we don’t.

Just to be absolutely clear, I don’t think OP has a leg to stand on about the topic, but he has every right to bring up the topic, even if the deals aren’t coming tomorrow.
    This is like buying a product, finding out a week later that now its at a discounted rate. Week later find the same item at a discount and complaining cause u weren't told it was gonna be on sale....
    The players that have seen this event in the past, know that there are things attached to units... Should u be pissed if u bought an Odin during the weekend.. probably.. but Kabam had no obligation to tell anybody...
    About the gold deals.. lol.. i keep on repeating myself... Why would they tell u in advance about something they had no plans on doing..
    Coppin said:

Coppin said:

This is like buying a product, finding out a week later that now its at a discounted rate. Week later find the same item at a discount and complaining cause u weren't told it was gonna be on sale....
    The players that have seen this event in the past, know that there are things attached to units... Should u be pissed if u bought an Odin during the weekend.. probably.. but Kabam had no obligation to tell anybody...
    About the gold deals.. lol.. i keep on repeating myself... Why would they tell u in advance about something they had no plans on doing..
    Ok, you absolutely have not understood a word I said if you are trying to persuade me.

I agree with you. Please read what I’ve said again. I’m not going to bang my head against a wall trying to get you to understand what I’ve said.

Coppin said:

Coppin said:

Ok, you absolutely have not understood a word I said if you are trying to persuade me.

I agree with you. Please read what I’ve said again. I’m not going to bang my head against a wall trying to get you to understand what I’ve said.
    I got what u tried to say...but saying he has a right to bring out the topic... Yeah he can bring it out as a question.. not as a complain cause he doesnt have enough gold...
    Should everyone who has a lot of gold make a post tomorrow about why they didnt tell them 6 months ago so they could stop farming it?...
    I agree with u, and i agree with the fact that he has a right to get and answer.. and he got plenty of answers.. the problem is he is not getting an answer that satisfy his problem...which is even more ridiculous... Keeps asking ppl why why shouldnt he get an answer when the offers won't even happen..
    People who got the gold should be a lot more upset than a guy who barely has enough to put points on level up event...