**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Anyone else feel this way on BG?

ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
There are lots of BG discussions and I'm going to try and avoid the hot topics but the way BG is currently setup has completely demotivated me from wanting to rank up or improve my champs. Im now avoiding putting aig into champs and avoiding ranking up great champs. I also won't use relics on any of main BG user champs.

This is pretty much the opposite of how it's always been for this game. It's always been about how to build roster, max sig champs, rank and level up, etc. But nowadays, because for some reason kabam made a controversial decision to make BG matchmaking similar to the failed AW experiment years ago, now stronger champs just means harder matchups in BG.

I'm a strong Paragon player who has been playing 7 years, but I'm not a whale (spend minimal), I don't have the new champs (which many of the newer champs are stronger defenders or benefit from specific counters).

Why spend the effort grinding, building up my roster just to be forced to fight harder matches than someone with a weaker roster, who has played less and puts less effort into the game?

I have 24k units saved up and normally would be excited about cyber sales and anxious to see my roster develop more, but now I'm like, why bother, developing my roster just further worsens the matchmaking for me.

Kabam, why do you have a competitive game mode with competitive ranking and where everyone is competing for same rewards but weak and undeveloped rosters get special matchmaking? Why are players now being punished for building up their rosters and rewarded for letting their roster slack.

It's really not fair that when all players are in the same tier, such as gold 1, that the roster has anything to do with matchmaking. It's like letting the best little league baseball team compete in MLB playoffs for the championship while only playing other little league teams.

I agree that lower players should have a chance to enjoy the game, but guess what, if everyone in same tier played each other, I guarantee sandbagging would go away. Sandbagging only exists because of the current unfair matchmaking system. There are many other and much more fair solutions to that have been discussed in other threads.

Comments

• The roster changes seemed to do nothing anyways
  • As someone with a highly developed roster (10 r4s) battlegrounds has been really pushing both my skill and champion knowledge to the limits. I've been facing Master tier AW people and still holding my own while winning a large majority of my matches. You just have to be really knowledgeable and have good counters to a large variety of champions, you also need a little bit of luck with the draft since a bad draft can easily cost you the game.

Also ranking up low sig champions is the best because it hides them lower in your deck, and it makes it not possible for the enemy to know if your champion is just a higher sig r3 or a low sig r4.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    FiiNCH said:

So if I understand this correctly, you’re now refusing to rank up your champs because you don’t want hard matches?

I’ve not noticed that much of a difference tbh - I’m getting matched up with roughly the same level of account I have been for the previous 2 seasons.

Not technically what I'm saying. But to summarize, what is the point of spending all the resources on high star rankups when I can just switch my roster to 4*s?

I'm taking my time and am in plat 2 right now, and I have different options. Options include run my top roster and get matched up with people with way more r4s than me to include better defenders and newer champs that usually need specific counters for (to get a competitive BG score) or just switch my roster to 4 or 5 stars and fight other rosters with similar star levels where the gap isn't as big.

And even in platinum and diamond (doesn't seem to stop until gladiator circuit) there are plenty of rosters made up of 4 and 5 stars. It really doesn't make sense, all this does is encourage roster manipulation (either use lower champs or sandbag). Since this is how Kabam is insisting on doing it (similar to the spectacular failed attempt at similar approach in AW couple years ago), why not just focus on building up my 4* and 5* champs, use them as my roster and have a way easier path back to gladiator circuit?
  • FiiNCHFiiNCH Posts: 1,664 ★★★★★
    hburns03 said:

FiiNCH said:

So if I understand this correctly, you’re now refusing to rank up your champs because you don’t want hard matches?

I’ve not noticed that much of a difference tbh - I’m getting matched up with roughly the same level of account I have been for the previous 2 seasons.

i’m a cavalier player with no r3 6* and my last 5 matches back to back were against paragon players that are sandbagging. how’s that fair?

How is this relevant to my comment? I didn’t say a thing about sandbagging..
  • AleorAleor Posts: 3,054 ★★★★★
    For fair competition matchmaking must not rely on your roster/prestige/etc, I completely agree on that. Shady matchmaking is always bad, and that's what we have here
    As for game mode, I only do minimal fights for objective during the month, and push a little higher at the season end.
    For bgs I only could r3 some champs like Korg, who won't change my prestige or whatever, but wouldn't like to r4 any high pi champ. I've already regretted taking doom to r4, should've go with longshot, who has lower pi. Also it's not like I need r4 champs for anything else, so... On the other hand, I wasn't really ranking champs I didn't need before bgs, so basically nothing changed
  • LiLbee2LiLbee2 Posts: 36

LiLbee2 said:

lol this is stupid
    because you are playing BG to get the rankup materials and rewards
    if you dont rankup champs for it then whats the point of playing? just dont.

why not rank up as much as you can
    Try your hardest
    once in a while you will meet super whales but we all are in the same bracket sometimes you will win against them if you get a good draw and play skillfully enough sometimes you will lose.

you deciding to not rankup is your choice BGs isnt making you do that.

with a smaller roster you may get out of victory track but wont make it too high in glad circuit
    and considering i havent even tried sandbagging or anything and yet easily enough make it to glad circuit by grinding BGs in week3 of season I would say that not ranking up champs is not beneficial at all in long run.

First, zero need to be rude. Second of all, who said I have a "small" roster? You are making many incorrect assumptions. I have 3.5 million rating roster, 15.7k prestige and have 100% all content in the game.

My current roster is more than enough to do everything I need in the game with zero reason to believe it won't be enough for quite a while. My point is with an already strong roster, all I'm doing by increasing it more is narrowing down even more of who I will get matched with, with makes zero sense to me.

Additionally, fairly high in GC last season despite not putting in much effort. The point is, the way it currently stands, it's far easier to get to GC by having or using a small roster. I agree bigger rosters are better in GC, but GC is the endgame part of BG. Plus, I have no intention of trying to finish in top of the BG, I'm more than Happy with my 35k -40k BG chips at seasons end.
    You dont make any sense with such big account and skills to 100% all content, you should be on level where no match up should be hard, more like even. You will only lose because your drafts or skills are poor
    I'm assuming your roster is much smaller to think that. Unlike UC and Cav where there isn't a major difference between low end and high end accounts in those ranks normally you see enormous differences in the Paragon side as this is where the biggest whales and top AW and top AQ players are. I am none of the above meaning my account is dang nice but doesn't compete with those who are compete at higher levels (or more money) than myself.

As strong as my account is and as decent as my skill at this game is, there are many just as good with just as good account and many more who are better with better accounts.

The problem with the current system is that a paragon player like myself had to win several in a row against these monster accounts starting in bronze. Every single tier it's nothing but accounts with numerous r4 6*s, many with elite new champ defenders. This isnt fun and frankly it annoys me that meanwhile someone with a weak account (or who modifies their BG roster) just faces off against other 4* and 5*s all the way up to diamond.

I really don't see how that is fair when we are all competing for same rewards. Us paragon didn't just wake up with massive accounts, we worked (or some paid) for them for many years of content completion and grinding.

Its not obvious here that others agree with me but the amount of sandbagger and those manipulation of their roster decks makes it very clear that other stronger players don't feel we should be punished for having steong rosters.

I'm all for giving smaller rosters fair play but not in a competitive mode with rank rewards where we all compete for same rewards. Kabam really should separate BG into different brackets with different rewards if they want to give smaller accounts more even matches otherwise this problem isn't going anywhere.

If Kabam somehow does fix it to where people can't sandbag and manipulate rosters, I guarantee TB and paragons are going to lose their minds when they spend 3 weeks trying to get out of silver while weak 2 month old accounts are already in gladiator circuit.
    I get what you are saying, in ideal world there would be different leagues for different account size with different rewards, but that aint gonna happen... you can either take the easy way out, and join likes of sandbaggers or ppl using lower decks on purpose or just challenge yourself...

My roster is fairly decent, also 15k prestige, few r4... i got matched up with whales like tcn, relax, ny. I win some i lose some. Finished in quantum last 2 seasons, and last season i got to GC only last week lol. Big accounts do give advantage for sure, but then it's more satisfying if you beat them. I dont enjoy beating newer players with deck of 4*, even though it is pretty much free rewards. I am actually excited if i got match with massive accounts and can test my skills and knowledge of champs etc...i got 1:1 with lags (was lucky to clutch that one win), but like 0:3 against Maex, who with all respect isnt that impressive skill wise, but his roster haha.. both great fun!

• AustinU823AustinU823 Posts: 84 ★★
    Even with the sandbaggers in the previous two seasons, I didn’t have any sort of difficulties in BGs until I got to Gold or Platinum. But this season has been quite the struggle matchup wise. I’m recently Thronebreaker but my account is also fairly new so my roster isn’t that deep. My deck has 7 6R3s, 3 6R2s, 3 5R5s, and the rest 6R1s. I’m getting matched up with mostly other TB players but with much deeper and much more stacked rosters. If it’s not them then it’s sandbaggers. It’s been hard getting wins even in Silver with the way matchmaking currently is. I’m not sure what I would change as I have no experience in balancing a competitive mode, but for me, things were working out better the way it was before this season, considering that the changes made didn’t deter sandbaggers after all
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 3,286 ★★★★★
    edited November 2022

@Amazing_Demon05 then he could say the same, if anybody met anybody, wouldn’t these smaller accounts feel great if they could fight paragons and win. They would still meet smaller cav or tb along the way too as you’d get to face everybody.

He explained how a paragon player could have a 15.9k prestige with 5-6 6r4 and another could have the same prestige but with 20-25 6r4. How is him fighting one of those whales any different from a TB player facing a medium size paragon.

That’s why going by prestige makes no sense.
    And can’t go by deck prestige as sandbaggers will manipulate their deck. So let’s just go at random without factoring in prestige or account size and make it fair or unfair to everybody

You're comparing a Paragon fighting a Paragon to a UC fighting a Paragon? I'll tell you the difference between both, one stands a chance the other one doesn't.

How is it any different? I don't know maybe the fact that one probably doesn't even have a single r2 6* while the other most likely has r4 6* and thereby has a chance to win?

I'm all for random matchmaking but an UC player should never face Paragon or TB, Cav? Absolutely. TB should have no issues facing Paragon though because there's a small chance they could win but anyone lower than TB will just get obliterated in seconds (quite literally) and that's neither fun nor fair.

@ItsClobberinTime Then if UC can’t meet a paragon, how can he be in the same bracket fighting for the same reward?

Because they can't buy the same things in the store you can (those are the real rewards, trophy tokens are useless if the BG store didn't exist) so there's no reason to be putting them at such disadvantage.
    If we were talking GC then that would be understandable but allowing a Paragon face an UC player in bronze or silver? Do you even understand how problematic it would be having to win 3 fights in a row (per league) against completely randomized opponents?
    Besides, after all the sandbagging we've had to deal with for the past three seasons, I think we deserve to be given a break.
    edited November 2022
    Jaded said:

@ItsClobberinTime Then if UC can’t meet a paragon, how can he be in the same bracket fighting for the same reward?

Because they can't buy the same things in the store you can (those are the real rewards, trophy tokens are useless if the BG store didn't exist) so there's no reason to be putting them at such disadvantage.
    If we were talking GC then that would be understandable but allowing a Paragon face an UC player in bronze or silver? Do you even understand how problematic it would be having to win 3 fights in a row (per league) against completely randomized opponents?
    Besides, after all the sandbagging we've had to deal with for the past three seasons, I think we deserve to be given a break.
    Well that’s flawed, because they can earn the same amount of trophies as Paragon and they can save them. While also stopping others from earning those rewards. If there is a roadblock between me and the rewards then I should be able to face that road block regardless their progression level in game.
    You're suggesting someone would save their trophy tokens for a whole year? (That's easily how long it takes for a f2p UC to get to Paragon, maybe more). I'm just gonna assume you were being sarcastic cause there is absolutely no way you genuinely believe any of us would do that lol.
    Stopping you? How exactly are we stopping you? If anything you would be the ones stopping us from having fair matches while you get easy wins because there wouldn't be a single thing we could do to take out your stacked up rosters.
    Why are you people still debating this anyways, they want to remove sandbagging cause they don't want big accounts facing small accounts so what's the point.
  • Vergeman78Vergeman78 Posts: 132 ★★
    So to you, if 2 guys make 100g a year but one, through dedication and time spent, gets discounts on goods, then he earns a better salary than the other? The rewards are the trophies, the discount in the store has nothing to do with it. That’s the purchased product you spend your hard earned currency on