**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Thoughts on new champions being good at both attack and defense?

JefechutaJefechuta Posts: 1,205 ★★★★
edited February 2023 in General Discussion
Just saw a comment about this, and noticed it is quite true, most of the new champs that went out between 2021 and 2022, are both good at attack and at defense.

So here's the question:

Thoughts on new champions being good at both attack and defense? 89 votes

Keep it like this
91%
MasterSmokeHort4FrostyzuffyKDoggg2017TerraSungjmeoreanHzoriCrazyjack719Rbk19RasiloverrockykostonCyborgNinja135pseudosaneWicket329DRTOrcm201710or_StrongAleor 81 votes
Focus on either attack or defense
8%
Tony886JefechutaSirGamesBondabamMiStaloOvashut_up_heatherHalpyEdisonLaw 8 votes

Comments

• Options
    DRTODRTO Posts: 1,619 ★★★★★
    Keep it like this
    I've never been a fan of "defense only rankups", If I'm gonna rank up a champ I do it with the intention of using them so yes it's great they're giving new champs both offensive and defensive abilities
  • Options
    KDoggg2017KDoggg2017 Posts: 1,209 ★★★★
    Keep it like this
    I want champs in my Battlegrounds deck that can used on attack or defense, if necessary.
  • Options
    AxewAxew Posts: 622 ★★★★
    Keep it like this
    This trend is great. Better than getting champs like Nova or Darkhawk who are annoying defenders with little offensive use
  • Options
    Im not really a big fan of this, not because its not useful, because it is, but when they do this, they throw away all the rest of the champions just because they were either good attackers or good defenders, some of them being both but rarely.

Releasing both is making first of all, all the buffs to old champions getting behind, because they were always buffed in only one aspect, so doesnt matter if X or Y got buffed, and even more, the champs that we already had that were either a very good defenders or a very good attackers will lose importance.

I know everybody loves to get both from a new champ, but I think this is bad for the game overall, you wont have to decide to rank up either your attackers or your defenders, when you can rank up the newest champ that is both, so you will play with the same 30 champs that everybody plays, so the rest of more than 200 champs will be like "yeah, you can use it in some scenarios".

And I think Kabam will have to buff every champ in game so they become both good attackers and defenders like all the new champions that went out.

I personally think this is not the best way, not every champion should be God tier, and not every champion should be good at attack and defense, that unbalances everything
  • Options
    FrostGiantLordFrostGiantLord Posts: 1,605 ★★★★
    Keep it like this
    Jefechuta said:

Im not really a big fan of this, not because its not useful, because it is, but when they do this, they throw away all the rest of the champions just because they were either good attackers or good defenders, some of them being both but rarely.

Releasing both is making first of all, all the buffs to old champions getting behind, because they were always buffed in only one aspect, so doesnt matter if X or Y got buffed, and even more, the champs that we already had that were either a very good defenders or a very good attackers will lose importance.

I know everybody loves to get both from a new champ, but I think this is bad for the game overall, you wont have to decide to rank up either your attackers or your defenders, when you can rank up the newest champ that is both, so you will play with the same 30 champs that everybody plays, so the rest of more than 200 champs will be like "yeah, you can use it in some scenarios".

And I think Kabam will have to buff every champ in game so they become both good attackers and defenders like all the new champions that went out.

I personally think this is not the best way, not every champion should be God tier, and not every champion should be good at attack and defense, that unbalances everything

My man really letting his feelings out here
  • Options

Jefechuta said:

My man really letting his feelings out here
    Hahahaha, i just think its not good for the game
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,029 ★★★★★
    Keep it like this
    Jefechuta said:

I gotta disagree with this. There are many champions who lack any real defensive capacity who I would still take over the majority of these new champs. Shang Chi is a prime example. Absolutely pointless as a defender, but one of the best attackers in the game. He'll continue to have a place in content throughout the contest.

Defensively focused champions will struggle to keep up, absolutely. But that's a good thing. Those rank ups were never fun, and if they become less common, those champions will be more likely to receive buffs in the future.
  • Options
    CyborgNinja135CyborgNinja135 Posts: 1,109 ★★★★
    Keep it like this
    I dislike the idea of doing purely defensive rank ups. I know sometimes it is of great benefit to the alliance and I don't have a problem taking one for the team, but it still stings having to invest resources in a champion I'll never use because they are garbage on offense. Best example of this is Korg. Everyone knows how good of a defender he is but he is terrible on attack.
  • Options
    AMS94AMS94 Posts: 1,776 ★★★★★
    Keep it like this
    I prefer champs being balanced in both areas
    But the downside is that it also makes the champ look more appealing for BGs which makes us want to chase them.....which I know is the whole point in order to have max possible crystal openings & arena scores, but IMO that's just a slightly unhealthy aspect of it
  • Options
    Wicket329 said:

Jefechuta said:

I gotta disagree with this. There are many champions who lack any real defensive capacity who I would still take over the majority of these new champs. Shang Chi is a prime example. Absolutely pointless as a defender, but one of the best attackers in the game. He'll continue to have a place in content throughout the contest.

Defensively focused champions will struggle to keep up, absolutely. But that's a good thing. Those rank ups were never fun, and if they become less common, those champions will be more likely to receive buffs in the future.
    Yeah thats the point, right now we have X champs that even being 0 defensive, are chosen to be ranked up, but thats because we dont have the ones that are good for both yet; when we have Absorbing man, Zemo, Gorr, Infamous IM, Galan, Quicksilver, Hulkling, Herc, Rintrah, Scorpion,Nimrod, Knull, Kitty Pride, etc etc, we are not going to use those anymore, because they are only good in one way either defensive or ofensive.

So I still think its not good for the game.
  • Options
    Jefechuta said:

Wicket329 said:

Jefechuta said:

Yeah thats the point, right now we have X champs that even being 0 defensive, are chosen to be ranked up, but thats because we dont have the ones that are good for both yet; when we have Absorbing man, Zemo, Gorr, Infamous IM, Galan, Quicksilver, Hulkling, Herc, Rintrah, Scorpion,Nimrod, Knull, Kitty Pride, etc etc, we are not going to use those anymore, because they are only good in one way either defensive or ofensive.

Hercules is a good defender?

Honestly, part of this is new shiny scary defender syndrome. Once upon a time, Iron Man Infinity War was considered so dangerous of a defender many (many, many, many, many) players claimed he was game breaking, and the vast majority of players would never be able to handle him, ever. I'm not sure he would show up on a list of top 20 defenders today. I don't think Nimrod is an especially dangerous defender. He's not a bad defender, sure, but once you learn how to dodge his specials and not walk face-first into his unstoppable he's not the worst. He's just still new, and he punishes mistakes. I would rather fight him than Venom to be honest.

But overall, I think having some champs that are defensive experts, some that are focused attackers, and some that are more balanced between the two, is perfectly fine. If you're a battlegrounds player, then you want a lot of balance. If you're not, you only need so many defenders but potentially lots of situational attackers for content. Everyone needs different stuff, and everyone can make use of different stuff. Scorpion is a strong attacker and a pretty good defender. However, I personally don't use him much if at all. I have him, but at the moment I don't need him. I have a greater need for champs like Archangel, Shang Chi, and Torch, all focused attackers and weak defenders, so I use them far more often.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Jefechuta said:

Wicket329 said:

Jefechuta said:

Hercules is a good defender?

Honestly, part of this is new shiny scary defender syndrome. Once upon a time, Iron Man Infinity War was considered so dangerous of a defender many (many, many, many, many) players claimed he was game breaking, and the vast majority of players would never be able to handle him, ever. I'm not sure he would show up on a list of top 20 defenders today. I don't think Nimrod is an especially dangerous defender. He's not a bad defender, sure, but once you learn how to dodge his specials and not walk face-first into his unstoppable he's not the worst. He's just still new, and he punishes mistakes. I would rather fight him than Venom to be honest.

But overall, I think having some champs that are defensive experts, some that are focused attackers, and some that are more balanced between the two, is perfectly fine. If you're a battlegrounds player, then you want a lot of balance. If you're not, you only need so many defenders but potentially lots of situational attackers for content. Everyone needs different stuff, and everyone can make use of different stuff. Scorpion is a strong attacker and a pretty good defender. However, I personally don't use him much if at all. I have him, but at the moment I don't need him. I have a greater need for champs like Archangel, Shang Chi, and Torch, all focused attackers and weak defenders, so I use them far more often.
    Obviously is not the best defender, but Herc is annoying at least, the fact that you cant stun properly with the AI issues makes him annoying, because intercepting is a whole journey when he just stands back, so you will get block damage if the AI starts to get like that.
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Herc by default is not a good defender but defenders rarely come without nodes. There is enough in his kit that when paired with the right nodes he can be annoying. Especially since BGs has really improved the value of defenders who can just stay alive rather than outright KO the attacker.
  • Options
    MaxGamingMaxGaming Posts: 3,204 ★★★★★
    Look at tasky, herc, Nimrod, and Quicksilver
  • Options
    A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 992 ★★★★
    Jefechuta said:

Wicket329 said:

Jefechuta said:

I have many of the champs you listed. I still use Shang frequently. And there are always champs that randomly become useful because of a node-opponent combo.
  • Options
    A_Fungi said:

Jefechuta said:

Wicket329 said:

Jefechuta said:

I have many of the champs you listed. I still use Shang frequently. And there are always champs that randomly become useful because of a node-opponent combo.
    Yeah but were is Ghost? or She Hulk? Sunspot? Diablo? A lot of the best champs that we had for the game are losing relevance so quickly cause of the new champions that are too good in attack and defense, or they are just way better than the ones that we had till now.

What are they going to do? Buff again all the champions because the ones are eclipsing the rest of those? Thats my whole point, its nice to get the new champ and think "Wow, this is a game changer, he is going to be useful" but its not that good when the rest of the champs get behind because of that, and when I say behind is way behind.

Not only that, the new content is adapting to the new champs aswell, so it gets way more harder if you dont have them, and the ones that you had till now that could clear a lot of content are just useless in this new content.

The best example is EoP Acceptance, if you dont have Herc, you are pretty much screwed unless you have a veeeery big stash of heals and revives, or maybe if you have a very big amount of units so you can use your 6* Unit-Man.

As I said before, I just think it is not the best for the game overall.

• Options
    AmaadAkiraAmaadAkira Posts: 388 ★★★
    It's better as it is (though glass cannon champions should also be added to balance them out every once in a while) but not sure why people believe defensive only champions are bad. They have a niche purpose in attack and can often cheese/do certain fights that others can't. They also serve a purpose on BG defense and AW defense by being a singular purpose wild card.
  • Options
    K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    edited February 2023

It's better as it is (though glass cannon champions should also be added to balance them out every once in a while) but not sure why people believe defensive only champions are bad. They have a niche purpose in attack and can often cheese/do certain fights that others can't. They also serve a purpose on BG defense and AW defense by being a singular purpose wild card.

I think it's because you don't play with them. It's like keeping the action figure in the original package. They may be extremely valuable but you never actually get to use them. I don't get as excited to rank them up knowing that I did it solely to make the lives of everyone else who plays this game just a little bit harder. The game at times is frustrating enough.
  • Options
    K00shMaan said:

I think it's because you don't play with them. It's like keeping the action figure in the original package. They may be extremely valuable but you never actually get to use them. I don't get as excited to rank them up knowing that I did it solely to make the lives of everyone else who plays this game just a little bit harder. The game at times is frustrating enough.
    Im quite happy about my Terrax, Korg, Peni Parker, Elektro or Annihilus, they just give me free wins usually